Il semble que les cookies ne soient pas activés dans votre navigateur. Veuillez activer les cookies pour garantir une expérience du site optimale.
Page 106 sur 109 PremièrePremière ... 6 56 96 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 DernièreDernière
Affichage des résultats 2 626 à 2 650 sur 2705

Discussion: The Riddle-Game

*salute*
    hrrrm, let's try this:

Three sisters we, burning bright
    Born in secret from Fire's might
    Tho stained with blood, pure still we be
    All who held us will never more be free
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000004cef/01008/signature.png]Melde[/charsig]
    Love life, know peace. Follow truth, live free

Citation Envoyé par Melde Voir le message
    *salute*
    hrrrm, let's try this:

perhaps the three rings of power held by the Elves (Narya, Nenya and Vilya)?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/232210000001046cd/01008/signature.png][/charsig]

Citation Envoyé par conamir Voir le message
    perhaps the three rings of power held by the Elves (Narya, Nenya and Vilya)?
    not quite~
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000004cef/01008/signature.png]Melde[/charsig]

*salute*
    hrrrm, let's try this:

Oooh! I think I know this one! The Silmarils, right?

Drat. Does this mean I have to come up with a riddle now?

By the by, the Three Rings were my first guess as well.

Citation Envoyé par RohanStoryteller Voir le message
    Oooh! I think I know this one! The Silmarils, right?

Drat. Does this mean I have to come up with a riddle now?

By the by, the Three Rings were my first guess as well.
    we have a winner! And yes, yes it does!

Sorry for the delay; coming up with a good riddle is hard! I don't know how good this one is, and it is almost completely free verse, but writing it in iambic pentameter was taking a lot longer than I liked, so here we go:

Out of the West I came,
    Yet westward is my gaze,
    Images of that land,
    Forever fill my heart.

The least of my Sisters,
    Sent unto the King's house,
    I served him faithfully,
    Until the shadow fell.

A great lord I now serve,
    But not the destined one,
    We both await a day,
    The day the King returns.

Edit: Concerning the riddle at the top of the page; could it be the Endless Stair/Durin's Tower?
    Dernière modification par RohanStoryteller ; 15/07/2012 à 15h28.

Sorry for the delay; coming up with a good riddle is hard! I don't know how good this one is, and it is almost completely free verse, but writing it in iambic pentameter was taking a lot longer than I liked, so here we go:

Out of the West I came,
    Yet westward is my gaze,
    Images of that land,
    Forever fill my heart.

The least of my Sisters,
    Sent unto the King's house,
    I served him faithfully,
    Until the shadow fell.

A great lord I now serve,
    But not the destined one,
    We both await a day,
    The day the King returns.

Edit: Concerning the riddle at the top of the page; could it be the Endless Stair/Durin's Tower?

Take your time! This was a good one. Had to stare at it for a while but... Is it a Palantir? Specifically the one in Minas Tirith that Denethor uses? ...its either that or the Tower Hills one...

Take your time! This was a good one. Had to stare at it for a while but... Is it a Palantir? Specifically the one in Minas Tirith that Denethor uses? ...its either that or the Tower Hills one...
    Correct! Or, at least the your second answer is correct. I was hoping that the second line would convey this, "Yet Westward is my gaze," since there is this note in the appendix of The Return of the King: "But we are told that [the Palantir] was unlike the others and not in accord with them; it looked only to the sea." Moreover, it being the "least of my sisters," to denote that it had the most limitations of all the stones.

So, your turn again!

Correct! Or, at least the your second answer is correct. I was hoping that the second line would convey this, "Yet Westward is my gaze," since there is this note in the appendix of The Return of the King: "But we are told that [the Palantir] was unlike the others and not in accord with them; it looked only to the sea." Moreover, it being the "least of my sisters," to denote that it had the most limitations of all the stones.

So, your turn again!
    I would rejoice except it is getting harder and harder to craft a decent riddle XD
    This one doesn't even rhyme but eh!

By hope borne, I
    with radiance of an olive light
    bring youth and strength to eyes
    on silver wings of faith
    Who am I?

I would rejoice except it is getting harder and harder to craft a decent riddle XD
    This one doesn't even rhyme but eh!

By hope borne, I
    with radiance of an olive light
    bring youth and strength to eyes
    on silver wings of faith
    Who am I?
    I like it ;-)
    But would this be Elessar (the Elfstone, a great emerald-green stone, set in a silver brooch in the form of an eagle with outspread wings)?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/232210000001046cd/01008/signature.png][/charsig]

I like it ;-)
    But would this be Elessar (the Elfstone, a great emerald-green stone, set in a silver brooch in the form of an eagle with outspread wings)?
    Correct!~

To quote: "The Elessar, or Elfstone is a green gem set on a silver eagle-shaped brooch. It had the light of the Sun within it and those who looked through it saw everything that was aged and withered as young once more"

also, in gemstone meanings, The Emerald represents spring, rebirth, peace, hope in immortality, exalted faith, and victory over trial and sin. It is considered by many to be the stone of prophecy. For some the emerald acts as a tranquilizer for a troubled mind. The emerald is said to bring the wearer reason and wisdom. The line about olive light comes a rhyme on this site http://www.jjkent.com/articles/stone...-symbolism.htm

"The Emerald burns intensely bright,
    With radiance of an olive light;
    This is the faith that highest shines,
    No need of charity declines,
    And seeks no rest, and shuns no strife,
    In working out a holy life"

Fitting no?

All yours!
    Dernière modification par Melde ; 18/07/2012 à 00h14.

Correct!~

Fitting no?

All yours!
    Sure was fitting and a great riddle! I'll also had to think up something and its getting harder and harder, but let's try this one;

Big as a man
    Dark as the night
    High on a hill
    Taker of oaths

Who am I?

Sure was fitting and a great riddle! I'll also had to think up something and its getting harder and harder, but let's try this one;

Big as a man
    Dark as the night
    High on a hill
    Taker of oaths

Who am I?
    I know right? And um is it the Black Stone of Erech?

I know right? And um is it the Black Stone of Erech?
    And again; spot on!
    Your turn again, wile I start pondering on a new (not so easy) one ;-)

And again; spot on!
    Your turn again, wile I start pondering on a new (not so easy) one ;-)
    sob I think this one is probably far too easy but:
    Lonely I stand beneath the sun
    from me the river swiftly runs
    For my heart many wars were waged
    Now my lord lies in splendor arrayed
    Guarded eternally by enemy's blade
    Who am I?

sob I think this one is probably far too easy but:
    Lonely I stand beneath the sun
    from me the river swiftly runs
    For my heart many wars were waged
    Now my lord lies in splendor arrayed
    Guarded eternally by enemy's blade
    Who am I?
    Hmmm...Interesting. Would it be Erebor, the Lonely Mountain?
    I am not sure about this though...One thing which bothers me about this answer is that the lord (Thorin) would not be guarded by the sword (Orcist) of the enemy; while dwarves and elves often did not get along, the relationship between the house of Durin and the Noldor (responsible for the forging of Orcist,) was much more positive.

Hmmm...Interesting. Would it be Erebor, the Lonely Mountain?
    I am not sure about this though...One thing which bothers me about this answer is that the lord (Thorin) would not be guarded by the sword (Orcist) of the enemy; while dwarves and elves often did not get along, the relationship between the house of Durin and the Noldor (responsible for the forging of Orcist,) was much more positive.
    correct! and while it is true that by the end you wouldn't consider them 'enemies' as such, Thorin and Thranduil don't really LIKE each other much =p

Your turn!

Once again, sorry about the delay, but I even got mine to rhyme this time!

Behold! Here rest four kingly crowns,
    Bejeweled with adamants and emeralds all around,
    The first crown glitters all in green,
    The second even balanced with gems intervened,
    The third, the sun above three fields,
    The fourth, with three leaves and five white flowers revealed.
    Who are we?
    Dernière modification par RohanStoryteller ; 26/07/2012 à 21h10.

Okay, here's my interpretation:
    The four crowns are four rulers:

The one that glitters in green is Aragorn, the glittering showing his right to kingship, while the green symbolizes the wild and rangerness in which he has immersed himself.

The even balanced crown I can only guess at: perhaps the evenly balanced crown indicates two rulers; The Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn.

The sun above three fields represents Minas Anor, the tower of the sun, now known as Minas Tirith, on three sides surrounded by the pellenor fields; thus Denethor is the third crown, though he wears none.

The final one is the one that got me thinking along this path: a crown revealed by three leafs and five white flowers. This is King Theoden, whose true nature was revealed by Gandalf and his three companions, Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas, all three of whom wore the leaf brooches of lorien. The five white flowers are the symblmyne (sp?) on the grave of Theoden's son, Theodred.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000006a50b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Hundvir - Lvl 75 RK | Periadoc - Lvl 41 Burglar | Estelriel - Lvl 75 Warden
    Proud member of Daro A Maetho, Elven RP Kinship, Crickhollow

Citation Envoyé par TheAC Voir le message
    Okay, here's my interpretation:
    The four crowns are four rulers:

The one that glitters in green is Aragorn, the glittering showing his right to kingship, while the green symbolizes the wild and rangerness in which he has immersed himself.

The even balanced crown I can only guess at: perhaps the evenly balanced crown indicates two rulers; The Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn.

The sun above three fields represents Minas Anor, the tower of the sun, now known as Minas Tirith, on three sides surrounded by the pellenor fields; thus Denethor is the third crown, though he wears none.

The final one is the one that got me thinking along this path: a crown revealed by three leafs and five white flowers. This is King Theoden, whose true nature was revealed by Gandalf and his three companions, Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas, all three of whom wore the leaf brooches of lorien. The five white flowers are the symblmyne (sp?) on the grave of Theoden's son, Theodred.
    Wow...This is an excellent interpretation, but unfortunately, not what I was going for...But on multiple occasions you came very close. Hum...In circumstances like this, where some of your points are in fact correct, am I supposed to give hints, or at least tell you when your answer hits the mark?

I'd say either tell me where it's right or where it's wrong.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000006a50b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Citation Envoyé par TheAC Voir le message
    I'd say either tell me where it's right or where it's wrong.
    Okay, the points you got right were:

The four crowns do represent four rulers, and King Theoden is one of the rulers represented. However, he is not represented by the fourth crown.

Hope that helps!

Also, I think you took my flowery words a little too literally, though what you did with them was far cleverer than what I was thinking when I wrote them!

Okay...the four crowns are kings of the Mark?

The first Eorl, came out of the wilds of the north (green -> wild)

The second Helm (gems -> jeweled caverns of Helm's Deep)

The third would then be Theoden, who fought on...wait &&&&. Okay, he only fought in two of the battles of the war of the ring. Hrm.

And the last would be Eomer, revealed by the white flowers on Theoden's grave.

Unsure...the third one might be Eomer, as he did fight on three fields: Helm's Deep, The Pellenor, and before the Black Gate.

Again, you got another element of it right: the crowns all belong to kings of the Mark, but to reiterate, you are still taking the imagery too literally; I intended it as a poetic way of describing the crowns, not as having importance as symbols (a weakness in my riddle writing abilities, I see.)

Since it has been about a week since anyone responded, I think I should give the answer and allow the game to move on; I believe TheAC should give the next riddle, if he so chooses, since he did come close.

Here is the answer:

Behold! Here rest four kingly crowns,

This has already been explained: the crowns represent four kings.

Bejeweled with adamants and emeralds all around,

I was trying to give an idea of two nations here, representing Gondor with Adamants and Rohan with Emeralds.

The first crown glitters all in green,

The first king is Thengel, father of Theoden. Being fully descended from the men of the north, his crown is covered in emeralds. However, since there was between Thengel and his father Fengel, Thengel went into self-imposed exile, and spent many years in the service of Gondor. His wife, in fact, was of Numenorian blood, thus leading to...

The second even balanced with gems intervened,

The second king is Théoden. His crown is evenly balanced with both adamants and emeralds, representing the ancestries of his mother and father.

The third, the sun above three fields,

The third king is Éomer. The line representing him was intended to convey that his crown bears three emeralds for every adamant, representing the lineages of his four grandparents.

The fourth, with three leaves and five white flowers revealed.

The fourth king is Elfwine Éomer's son. Éomer married the daughter of the Prince of Dol Amroth, thus Elfwine’s ancestry with respect to his great-grandparents leans more heavily to the men of Gondor than Rohan!

Page 106 sur 109 PremièrePremière ... 6 56 96 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 DernièreDernière

Règles de messages