Il semble que les cookies ne soient pas activés dans votre navigateur. Veuillez activer les cookies pour garantir une expérience du site optimale.
Affichage des résultats 1 à 23 sur 23

Playing In Linux Under Wine

Hey guys! I am creating this guide so others can enjoy Lotro in Linux. The game itself works flawless for me in Ubuntu 12.04, but other distros should work as well with the recommended wine package.

Step 1: Installing Wine (The Right One) Current Stable Wine version is 1.6.2

The first step you must do is install Wine. To be on the safe side, I will show you how to add the wine repository to your list for future updates. Go ahead and type into your terminal:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    This will add the required download location for wine. Next, type:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install wine1.6
    Wait for the installation to finish, and congratz! You now have wine on your LinuxBox.

Step 2: Installing LOTRO

Now that we have wine installed, you'll want to download the game. DO NOT DOWNLOAD FROM THE LOTRO SITE. The downloader turbine provides does not work with wine, so you will have to download the entire package manually. To do so, click HERE.
    Wait for the download to finish and unzip everything to a New Folder on your desktop called "Lotro", or whatever you like. Next open a terminal, and type:

Code:
    cd Desktop
    cd ((Whatever your new filename was))
    wine LOTROSetup.exe
    Wait for the installation to finish, and open the game through the terminal with:

Code:
    cd .wine
    cd drive_c
    cd "Program Files (x86)"
    cd Turbine
    cd "The Lord of the Rings Online"
    wine TurbineLauncher.exe
    Phew! That was alot of typing. (After pylotro is installed, you will only need to type one line of code ) Now, wait for the game to patch. While the game is patching, to make starting the game easier you will want to install "Pylotro". Download it HERE. Download the debian package, and run it to install. (Be advised this is for Debian based Linux operating systems. You will have to use google and find the package you need if your system is different.) After the patching from the Turbine Client is finished, close it and open a terminal. Type in:
    Code:
    pylotro
    Enter your account details, select your server, and join Middle Earth!

If you have any questions, feel free to leave them here on this thread. OR you can private message me, and I'll reply ASAP.
    Dernière modification par Arganorn ; 06/03/2014 à 23h08.

Lightbulb

First of all, thank you for creating this thread - it is a very good and useful idea.

I have some notes to adapt this for a wider audience and for security:

I don't recommend downloading the lotro-client from an undisguised, maybe compromised, source on 'fileplanet.com' (who uploaded it there? Is this endorsed by Turbine? Do they maybe have a copyright problem with this?), but rather suggest using the official file repository from Turbine.

Quote from WineHQ Website:
    Installer download:

"Low resolution:
    $ wget http://content.turbine.com/sites/cli...rostandard.exe

High resolution:
    $ wget http://content.turbine.com/sites/clientdl/lotro/lotrohigh.exe"

---------------------

Additionally I would like to note that the package manager commands may vary on the different distributions. (on openSuse you might want to use the equivalent yum commands, for example) and that adding a Ubuntu ppa will not work on most distros.
    See here for download of current wine packages for your distro if not using Ubuntu or Linux Mint: http://www.winehq.org/download/

--------------------
    As far as I know, pylotro is no longer needed, as the official launcher works with Qt. I still use pylotro, but if I were to install lotro anew, I would use the official launcher and create a desktop icon for launching it (and not type long lines in the console. You do know that all those 'cd' could be done in a single line with some dashes in between?). Pylotro does no longer display the 'latest news' because the links are broken, so there may be another advantage lying in the official launcher.

-------------------
    Earlier on, it was necessary to also install winetricks. Is this no longer needed?

Hi Moini! Thank you for the replies!

1.I don't recommend downloading the lotro-client from an undisguised, maybe compromised, source on 'fileplanet.com' (who uploaded it there? Is this endorsed by Turbine? Do they maybe have a copyright problem with this?), but rather suggest using the official file repository from Turbine.
    The reason I had done this was because the download through the LOTRO homepage was not working correctly with wine (at least for me). For copyright issues...yeaaa it might be walking a fine line, but it worked perfectly fine for me.

2. Additionally I would like to note that the package manager commands may vary on the different distributions. (on openSuse you might want to use the equivalent yum commands, for example) and that adding a Ubuntu ppa will not work on most distros.
    See here for download of current wine packages for your distro if not using Ubuntu or Linux Mint: http://www.winehq.org/download/
    You are absolutely 100% right. It depends on the distribution you are using. I would look for a way to add the wine repository for your own distribution to install wine 1.6 correctly.

3. As far as I know, pylotro is no longer needed, as the official launcher works with Qt. I still use pylotro, but if I were to install lotro anew, I would use the official launcher and create a desktop icon for launching it (and not type long lines in the console. You do know that all those 'cd' could be done in a single line with some dashes in between?). Pylotro does no longer display the 'latest news' because the links are broken, so there may be another advantage lying in the official launcher.
    This is also true. Just recently the launcher has been working with wine flawlessly..(Or about 99.9% flawless). I will change that in the guide to "No longer need pylotro".

4. Earlier on, it was necessary to also install winetricks. Is this no longer needed?
    As far as I have found NO winetricks is not needed to run Lord of the Rings online. However, some Linux distributions install winetricks along with wine.

Thank you for your reply and taking the time to give some feedback! (:

Arganorn

Does the link in the op for the lotro files still work (not at home, so I can't check)

I ask, because the wget command the second poster listed were giving me 404 errors last night (they worked last week but I screwed up my distro and had to restart from scratch) and I have been unable to find the clients anywhere. My next trick might be trying to move a few sub folders at a time on a USB stick.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000375992/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Cross linking a thread.
    [CENTER][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=#ff0000]Currently serving [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Brecfes[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000] on every world....[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Citation Envoyé par Moini Voir le message
    I don't recommend downloading the lotro-client from an undisguised, maybe compromised, source on 'fileplanet.com' (who uploaded it there? Is this endorsed by Turbine? Do they maybe have a copyright problem with this?), but rather suggest using the official file repository from Turbine.

Quote from WineHQ Website:
    Installer download:

"Low resolution:
    $ wget http://content.turbine.com/sites/cli...rostandard.exe

High resolution:
    $ wget http://content.turbine.com/sites/clientdl/lotro/lotrohigh.exe"

--------------------
    As far as I know, pylotro is no longer needed, as the official launcher works with Qt. I still use pylotro, but if I were to install lotro anew, I would use the official launcher and create a desktop icon for launching it (and not type long lines in the console. You do know that all those 'cd' could be done in a single line with some dashes in between?). Pylotro does no longer display the 'latest news' because the links are broken, so there may be another advantage lying in the official launcher.
    Let me continue to "explain" these "corrections." (Note that they apply to DDO as well as LOTRO.)

Since the Riders of Rohan release, which actually broke WINE, there have only been two trustworthy download sources for LOTRO and DDO. (lotro.com and Valve/Steam)
    There have been many "builds" of LOTRO based on various versions of both WINE and the LOTRO client - both stand-alone and packaged - none of which can be construed as "reliably working."

1- Fileplanet has been de-commissioned by IGN. (See the banner at the top of the page.) It is NOT a trustworthy source.
    The download on "Fileplanet" is incredibly out of date. It is even older than the Valve (Steam) copy, which predates the release of Riders of Rohan.

The download at lotro.com now uses HappyCloud/Akamai and should run under WINE (but I haven't tried it).

* Turbine changed the Downloaders for LOTRO with the release of Update 13. (14 April, 2014). (They were changed back in March for DDO.)
    I haven't checked the download links at WineHQ lately, but I assume they are still functional and correct.

3- This is correct. PyLotRO is no longer necessary, but it does still work as a convenient tool for patching. (Launching is a separate issue.) There are also issues with the Turbine Launcher if you do not have Qt installed. Note also that this refers to the WINDOWS version of PyLotRO, there have been issues with folks trying to "roll-their-own" versions of PyLotRO.

Note: I normally play with the Mac Client today, but have supported the Codeweavers Crossover version (Commercial WINE) since Launch -- which still works. So I can play with both the Native Mac Client and using the PC client on my iMac!
    Dernière modification par Valamar ; 21/04/2014 à 10h35.
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 80

Citation Envoyé par KalimniHFC Voir le message
    Does the link in the op for the lotro files still work (not at home, so I can't check)

I ask, because the wget command the second poster listed were giving me 404 errors last night (they worked last week but I screwed up my distro and had to restart from scratch) and I have been unable to find the clients anywhere. My next trick might be trying to move a few sub folders at a time on a USB stick.
    I have just been checking. It appears that those links are no longer valid.

As I mentioned above, Turbine changed its download mechanic from PMB to HappyCloud/Akamai with the release of Update 13 (14 April 2014).

I still need to do some additional research.
    Bill Magill - Mac Player - Old Timers Guild- Gladden:

Partial cast
    Valamar: Dwarf Hunter - Level 100
    Valdicta: Dwarf Rune-keeper - Level 100
    Valanne: Beorning - Level 80

Has anyone been able to get LOTRO to run under WINE since the April 15 update?

Citation Envoyé par Vorth01 Voir le message
    Has anyone been able to get LOTRO to run under WINE since the April 15 update?
    Yes, it even still runs after yesterday"s update. It loads very slow with the native launcher/patcher, but it plays flawlessly after you login.

Citation Envoyé par Valamar Voir le message
    The download at lotro.com now uses HappyCloud/Akamai and should run under WINE (but I haven't tried it).
    It does not, at least for me. I'm looking for some downloable LotRO version to play this game. Sadly haven't saved my LotRO files before formating my Win7.

Looking for help. I unzipped LOtRO from the OP link. I installed wine and updated it to newest version. When trying to wine it, I keep getting Error "Path not found". Of course I'm either clicking on LOTROSetup.exe icon, or through terminal inside LOTRO folder.
    I'm using newest LTS version of Ubuntu (14.04).

Citation Envoyé par Galwir Voir le message
    Looking for help. I unzipped LOtRO from the OP link. I installed wine and updated it to newest version. When trying to wine it, I keep getting Error "Path not found". Of course I'm either clicking on LOTROSetup.exe icon, or through terminal inside LOTRO folder.
    I'm using newest LTS version of Ubuntu (14.04).
    Galwir, did you get an answer? I have the same problem.

First you need to say what version of OS are using 32 bits or 64 bits. It's work for me http://beadmin.2tl.eu/post/how-to-in...n-linux-ubuntu

I suggest you test the playonlinux can work without troubles. Recommend use the ppa of Noobslab site

Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty/14.10/12.04
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/apps
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install playonlinux
    Check this site too http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit

Do anyone have a newer guide to do this, i have ubuntu 14.10 and i am eager to get back in the game

Now that WINE is up to 1.7.x, will this apply to that as well?

Note: NOT an accomplished Linux user. As a matter of fact, I'm using linux Mint in Virtual PC test out playing LotRO in Linux because Im sick of the garbage Windows puts out with no recourse for the consumer to sue. (Windows 8 totally bloze so anyone who bought it should be able to have windows GIVE windows 7 or 10 with all drivers included.) So Im wanting to switch. It's been several years since I messed with Linux and can use all the baby steps you can give me in regards to playing LotRO thru Linux.

Citation Envoyé par Galwir Voir le message
    It does not, at least for me. I'm looking for some downloable LotRO version to play this game. Sadly haven't saved my LotRO files before formating my Win7.
    It doesn't work for me, either.

Running
    Code:
    wine TurbineLauncher.exe
    brings up a launcher that forever hangs on "Retrieving content list from Akamai..."

Console output is as follows:
    Code:
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
    fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
    fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
    fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
    fixme:win:FlashWindowEx 0x32f044
    fixme:winhttp:get_system_proxy_autoconfig_url no support on this platform
    fixme:winhttp:WinHttpDetectAutoProxyConfigUrl discovery via DHCP not supported
    fixme:win:RegisterTouchWindow (0x1006e 00000000): stub
    fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
    fixme:imm:NotifyIME IMC_SETCANDIDATEPOS
    fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x1006e, 0x1622f8): stub
    fixme:win:FlashWindowEx 0x32c954
    fixme:win:RegisterTouchWindow (0x10058 00000000): stub
    fixme:win:FlashWindowEx 0x32a5b4
    Note the lines
    Code:
    fixme:winhttp:get_system_proxy_autoconfig_url no support on this platform
    fixme:winhttp:WinHttpDetectAutoProxyConfigUrl discovery via DHCP not supported
    Looks like some kind of networking shenanegains.

Hmmm...

Various system information is as follows:

Distro: Gentoo
    Wine Version: 1.7.33
    WINEARCH=win32

Pretty sure it has to do with Akamai
    I dual Win7 and Ubu14.04 and both are 64bit. If you uninstall Akamai, DDO fails to work. "
    Hope this info helps fix it. I hate windows and want to move into Linux full time.

So I am using Debian8 testing at the moment. I got the complete game to work with PlayOnLinux. In PlayOnLinux, you can install a lots of libraries that neccessary for Windows programs, like VClibs, .Net and so on. I have to admit that I did not the long tour and try each library, but took a lot of libraries without knowing all dependencies. I also choose installing Wine version 1.7.42, which is the newest one currently available. And I can say: its working quite good, since 1.7.42 even in full screen mode (with 1.7.39, the game crashed in full screen mode and was only useable in windowed mode). There are only two issues I still have:
    - the video performance is quite bad under linux. Under windows, I can run in high details DX11, under Linux, I can run only in mid details DX9.
    - Wine only supports the DX9 version of the game, although I installed DX10 and DX11 in the PlayOnLinux libraries. Perhaps I will find out why this is, because I would like to solve this and be a happy Linux gamer.

So, if you are still struggling, I can tell you: it is possible. But if you do not use PlayOnLinux, you perhaps have to find the correct libraries to install. Plus you should try newest Wine versions, since they do really have influence on the subject. And: you can use the normal Launcher, no PyLotro or similar scripts are needed, at least including Update 16.

Talking

I'm using Linux Mint 17.1 with Wine 1.7.38. No need to install anything now. You can even copy your old .wine / program data / turbine folder, get the installer, run it and everything will work and patch ok.

The only thing I noticed is that sometimes, when launching the game some error appears or itgets stuck in "downloading content from..." or the screens... but closing and opening again and the game starts.
    Ramiros 66 (HNT) + Romiriel 85 (MNS)
    Educate yourself in the matters of reality for they have no precise line between good and evil.

I've just today gotten LOTRO to work on RHEL 6.5 under a recent release of wine (using Play On Linux to set up the whole thing). The standard installer (with Akamai) worked fine. I launch from the standard launcher.

Heads up: you need at least one drive defined in your wine environment which is on a local disk. There's an old runtime library which LOTRO tries to install every time the launcher starts up. This library has an installer that won't work if all the drives defined for wine happen to be on network partitions. I had to run the Wine debugger and parse the Wine relay output to figure out what was going on.

Because of the issues I had with that, and the number of things I tried along the way, it's hard to say whether any other wine installation magic was actually necessary.

Of course, installing on a network partition was a dumb idea anyway... much too slow.

<edited for spelling>

Cool Playing LotRo in SUSE-Linux under Wine

Thanks for the thread, for me, it was easier with openSUSE (13.2)

Sorry, I am German:

Herr der Ringe online unter Linux spielen war mein Wunsch, da ich mein System nicht beliebig im Speicher erweitern konnte und unter Windows bereits Probleme hatte.

Nach mehreren Versuchen mit verschiedenen Linux-Distributuionen (zumeist Ubuntu oder -Derivate) bekam ich es nicht mit Wine lauffähig.

Daher versuchte ich es mit einem openSUSE, denn ich war noch nicht auf "mein" zukünftiges Linux festgelegt.

Unter SUSE war es easy mit YaST2 das Wine-Paket nachzuinstallieren, es wählte automatisch das passende Gecko-Paket mit aus.

Nach der SUSE-Doku müsste die Ausführung von "wine turbinelauncher.exe" im Ordner des Spieles zum Erfolg führen,
    also machte ich es mir einfach, kopierte einen kompletten LotRo-Client aus meiner Windows-Installation an eine andere Stelle,
    wechselte im Terminal (mit entsprechenden cd-commands) in dieses Verzeichnis und führte den Befehl aus.

Sofort poppte der Launcher auf mit dem Wort "Initializing" ... brach aber wieder ab ...
    Da ich keine anderen Hinweise fand, führte ich den Befehl "wine turbinelauncher.exe" nochmals aus, und nochmals, nachdem ich erneut einen etwas anderen Fehler bekam, oder der Client nicht mehr weiter zu laden schien.

Nach 3 bis 5 Abbrüchen oder Stopps startete dann aber der Launcher durch und begann mit dem nachinstallieren benötigter Software von Microsoft und danach auch vom Spiel selber (obwohl es eigentlich nicht hätte nötig sein müssen).

Leider gab es beim eigentlichen Spiel Probleme mit der Grafik ... das war besser unter debian 8, dort funktionierte wine ebenso einfach ...

Aktuell bleibt mir ein Problem:

Lotro verstellt beim Spiel-Start die Grafik, so dass ich nicht einmal an die Optionen komme, um etwas verändern zu können,

Abhilfe durch neuen User und Basis-Grafik-Einstellung von 1024 x 768 ...

Neues Problem:

Lotro lädt, bis zu dem Moment, in dem kurz danach die Anzeige der Chars kommen müsste -

man sieht noch den Ladebalken, aber wenn dieser voll sein müsste, ist das Spiel verschwunden -

hat da bitte jmd eine Idee, woran es liegen könnte ?
    Dernière modification par ProJerem ; 05/06/2015 à 09h48.

I'm having some problem with the LotRO Store and Help. They just don't load.
    (using wine 1.6.2 and ubuntu 14.04)
    I tried to e-mail Turbine, but they have not answered yet. Can someone give me a clue of what might be happening?

Citation Envoyé par Skalmold Voir le message
    I'm having some problem with the LotRO Store and Help. They just don't load.
    (using wine 1.6.2 and ubuntu 14.04)
    I tried to e-mail Turbine, but they have not answered yet. Can someone give me a clue of what might be happening?
    Your version of wine is "ancient". I'm running 1.7.50 and haven't updated in months. Try installing wine manually or (dangerous) upgrading your Ubuntu to a later version.

Anyways, on an unrelated note, I was able to "solve" my previous problem by fandangling around with a previous download and getting that working. Yay.

Now, an *another* note, if any of you are still using pylotro, Turbine has updated their certificate chain such that the one included with the pylotro repository no longer works. I managed to update the chain and have made my changes available here https://github.com/clinew/pylotro in case anyone else needs them.

Règles de messages