Il semble que les cookies ne soient pas activés dans votre navigateur. Veuillez activer les cookies pour garantir une expérience du site optimale.
Affichage des résultats 1 à 17 sur 17

New Player looking for advice with quest, exp packs

Greetings fellow LOTRO Forum members

I am a brand new LOTRO player (former WoW player boo) anyways i have managed to lvl my toon to 15 (almost 85 =P) and i have enjoyed every second. LOTRO to me is a massive change from WoW also the content is unbelievable even on a F2P platform! i have been pondering over the different price plans VIP, Turbine Points, Quest Packs, Expansion Packs etc etc but i am at a crossroads which i can not find any information on. I apologise now if this has been posted a thousand times before. However i am looking to invest some time, money into LOTRO as the game, lore and other very in depth yet cool things have started to tickle my fancy. My Questions are this.

1) If i buy all the expansion packs (the triple bundle) does this include all the extra quest packs that you can buy?
    1.a) If the answer to the above is no you need to buy all the quest packs + exp packs to get the most content which should i go for 1st? Looking at playing the game at each step.

2) If i buy a VIP sub (used to this due to WoW) do i still need to invest money in turbine points to get more content (not inc expansion packs i.e.: helms deep)?

3) Is there any websites (noxxic etc) that i can refer to, to get the best in slot items, Cool downs, rotation, Gems, Enchants, basically all the stuff i used to do in WoW to better my toon?

4) what is the community like within LOTRO? Is it the same as WoW (from my experience very toxic, troll ridden. Unless in a guild or with friends)

Again apologies if this has been posted a thousand times before.

On a side note this game has blown me away in every way since i installed it on my mac (yes mac gamer hence WoW, i know, i know macs aren't for gaming =P) the lore, complexity, general hardness of gameplay, basically everything appears to be a better version of WoW or what WoW used to be in classic and i would really like to get into LOTRO for a good while (spent over 4 years in WoW) to feed my mac MMORPG addiction =P Please don't get me wrong I'm not new to MMO's as i run a successful guild in WoW + weekly raids, website, vent & all the other stuff for a MMO just need a few pointers to get the most bang for my buck!

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
    Happy hunting
    Herb

Citation Envoyé par Herbalistic Voir le message
    I am a brand new LOTRO player (former WoW player boo)
    BOOOOOO!

1) If i buy all the expansion packs (the triple bundle) does this include all the extra quest packs that you can buy?
    1.a) If the answer to the above is no you need to buy all the quest packs + exp packs to get the most content which should i go for 1st? Looking at playing the game at each step.
    There are 5 expansion to the game: (1) Mines of Moria, (2) Siege of Mirkwood, (3) Rise of Isengard, (4) Riders of Rohan, (5) Helm Deep (Launches 18th November)

The expansions don't include any quest packs (Some bundles did at launch, but to my knowledge none of those purchasable in the store currently do - too lazy to look :P)

To get everything, you'd need to either purchase the quest packs with turbine points (TP) in-game to unlock them permanently for your account, or subscribe and essentially "rent" the content. Seven subscribers need to purchase expansions however.

2) If i buy a VIP sub (used to this due to WoW) do i still need to invest money in turbine points to get more content (not inc expansion packs i.e.: helms deep)?
    As above, non-expansion content outside of the free starter area (Bree-land, The Shire, Ered Luin & The Lone Lands) can be rented as a subscriber. While you are subbed, apart from expansions, no you would not need to invest more money.

3) Is there any websites (noxxic etc) that i can refer to, to get the best in slot items, Cool downs, rotation, Gems, Enchants, basically all the stuff i used to do in WoW to better my toon?
    "Best in slot" is subjective. Builds are the sum of their parts, so to truly min/max your build, a change in one slot might necessitate a change in another slot. Theres always a lot of damn good options.

That said, Min/maxing is practically non existant in LOTRO, besides one's own desire to better his/her self.

The Wiki (lotro-wiki.com) ha a lot of usual information, but in terms of rotations and stuff you'd probably be best of speaking with others in-game of on the respective class forums.

4) what is the community like within LOTRO? Is it the same as WoW (from my experience very toxic, troll ridden. Unless in a guild or with friends)
    The community for the most part is very mature and friendly. Obviously, like your experience in WoW, finding a nice kinship (LOTRO's version of a guild) with people you like can further improve your experience.
    [SIZE=3][b]Leader of [COLOR="#FFD700"]The Rangers of Eriador[/COLOR], Snowbourn[/b][/SIZE]
    [color=#00BF00]Brya, Balthelion, Fyore, Iarngard, Madic, Eoradain, Trystana, Pendalas, Kharmul, Arkunir, Holibrand, Tifridh, Freawyn, Adlanniel, Tiraniel, Lilija, Theda[/color]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0szyANQhriMn42fCDdke1EMAOcdzmr9v"]Let's Play LOTRO (YouTube Series)[/URL] ~ [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?461498-The-Rangers-of-Eriador"]Kin Info/Recruitment[/URL]

as a follow-up, as a subscriber you also get 500TP a month which makes purchasing the quest packs easier. you also get several features unlocked as a VIP that are quite handy, the riding skill on all toons, no gold cap, extra storage bags, etc.

oh, and welcome! by the way, your kind aren't supposed to exist. you know...totally new players. if you listen to the gloom and doom crowd here on the forums the game is dying.

Thank you Brya & Goldensilence for your reply very useful information =)
    Citation Envoyé par Brya
    There are 5 expansion to the game: (1) Mines of Moria, (2) Siege of Mirkwood, (3) Rise of Isengard, (4) Riders of Rohan, (5) Helm Deep (Launches 18th November)

The expansions don't include any quest packs (Some bundles did at launch, but to my knowledge none of those purchasable in the store currently do - too lazy to look :P)

To get everything, you'd need to either purchase the quest packs with turbine points (TP) in-game to unlock them permanently for your account, or subscribe and essentially "rent" the content. Seven subscribers need to purchase expansions however.
    Sorry to ask another question just totalling the cost. Are the quest packs mandatory to continue within the game or would the expansions fill that gap?

Citation Envoyé par Brya
    The community for the most part is very mature and friendly. Obviously, like your experience in WoW, finding a nice kinship (LOTRO's version of a guild) with people you like can further improve your experience.
    I have noticed the community appears a more happier bunch of people also that everyone is routing for LOTRO to continue & succeed! Was expecting the usual i'm a noob response

Citation Envoyé par goldensilence
    as a follow-up, as a subscriber you also get 500TP a month which makes purchasing the quest packs easier.
    This i will have to get my abacus out & do some maths. Month to Quest pack cost

oh, and welcome! by the way, your kind aren't supposed to exist. totally new players.
    Thank you! i know we are a dying breed! The forums here seem very inviting so thought i would speak up! Everyone has to start somewhere, bit old skool in the fact i like to research games before playing and ask questions. Questions = answers, answers = knowledge, knowledge = wisdom to pass on to others.

if you listen to the gloom and doom crowd here on the forums the game is dying.
    yea i've seen many MMO forums filled with these type of posts. believe every game forum has these built into the forum database to post threads on this subject. Not sure though!

again that you for your time and reply

if you should decide to play, make sure to research a good server for yourself too. you don't want to inadvertently choose a server because it's the recommended one but it's actually filled with people mainly from Europe or something. find one that is in your time zone or has people on during your normal play time. the social aspect of the game can be great but not if you are on a server where there are very few people on when you are. my first toon was like that. went onto a mainly european server and i'm near the west cost of the US. rarely saw anyone in-game. for the most part, the community in game is great. every now and then you run across a jerk but that's pretty rare. most are ready and willing to help. finding a good kinship is a must! even if you like to solo the game, having a kinship to chat with and trade crafting mats with is very helpful.

Sorry to ask another question just totalling the cost. Are the quest packs mandatory to continue within the game or would the expansions fill that gap?
    There is some overlap, but with just expansions there is a large gap in the levelling curve. The free areas bring you to about level 30, the first expansion (Moria) starts around level 50. There are ways to get past that gap with grinding, but generally you want a couple questpacks to overcome it (typically Evendim, Forochel/Angmar and Eregion). If you level fast and don't plan to create many alts it might be the most cost effective option to go one month VIP when you reach the Lone Lands (you want to get some VIP time anyway eventually to unlock some permanent benefits that would cost extra otherwise) and get to level 50+ in that time while all regular quest packs are available to you.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

For expansion/quest purchases with TP, I will refer to the post at the bottom of the below thread.
    (Always double check to see if the numbers are still accurate and check the store for sales.)

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...expensive-quot

You do not need to buy all the quest packs. There are at least twice as many quest packs as you need to get to level cap. If you subscribe (go VIP), then you unlock all the non-expansion quest packs for the time you are a subscriber. You do need quest packs in order to level up without a lot of tedious grinding, plus the quest packs contain all the non-Epic quests that make the game fun. Plus they unlock the zone's deeds... most of which yield Turbine Points for completing them!

The first expansion is Moria, which is level 50 to 60 content. Expansion quest packs are NOT included with a subscription; even VIPs must buy them in order to play them. Once you get to level 50, you can definitely do whatever you want without any of the non-expansion quest packs; Mirkwood covers level 60-65, Isengard covers 65 to 75, Rohan covers 75 to 85... and in two weeks Helm's Deep will cover levels 85 to 95.

For the next 10 days or so, you *could* choose to pre-order Helm's Deep. If you do it from Turbine's site, you can also get the Quad Pack for half price. That will give you all 5 expansions in one purchase... and you'd really only need to buy 2 or 3 quest packs in order to be all set. (If you buy the Legendary Edition of Helm's Deep, you could use the points from that package to buy them. Which means you'd REALLY be all set.) I believe the Quad Pack includes the full package for Moria, which means you would also unlock the Warden and Runekeeper classes plus two character slots (per server).

Everyone gets the Ered Luin, Shire, Breeland, and Lonelands quest pack for free. This will get you to about level 30. The quest packs you would need after that are:
    • Evendim: level 30 - 40, though you may want to stay in Evendim and do Annuminas instances until level 42 or so
    • Forochel or Angmar: level 40 - 50
    • Eregion: level 45 - 52 (optional)

You can pick things up in Moria at level 50. (Make sure to drop in at level 45 and do Volume II Book 1 of the Epic series to unlock your first Legendary Items and open up access to Moria.) You can choose to go on with only expansions from then on. Of course, if you are VIP you can choose to level in other zones as well and really enjoy your journey.

I have noticed the community appears a more happier bunch of people also that everyone is routing for LOTRO to continue & succeed! Was expecting the usual i'm a noob response
    That's not how we roll in Middle Earth. Everyone was new once. And this whole Free-to-Play thing is pretty complex for a newcomer.

Sometimes the chat in Bree can be a bit much. Feel free to tell them it sounds like Barrens Chat in there and they'll probably settle down.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Welcome to the game and good luck!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000001df88f/signature.png]Znumax[/charsig]

As mentioned, pre-purchasing Helm's Deep before the 18th and getting the Quad Pack at half price gives you all the content you would need for levels 48-50ish up to the next level cap at 95. The half price quad pack is a pretty good deal. This just leaves you with having to buy quest packs to span the level 30-48 gap.

One thing that nobody mentioned is that Helm's Deep includes the new Epic Battles feature where you can play in the Battle of Helm's Deep. You can do this starting at level 10! Your character and equipment will be scaled up to level 95 for that instance. Rewards are matched to your actual level, but it does give you a chance at some of the end game content early on.

HAve fun!
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

All content before level 50, excluding the 4 free starter regions (Bree-land, The Shire, Ered Luin & The Lone Lands) will require quest packs in order to unlock the content (or VIP Subscriber status to rent them). The starter regions can get you a little past 30, but after that you have the following quest packs. Note that some of them overlap level ranges:
    North Downs (20-35)
    Evendim (30-42)
    Forochel (42-50)
    Angmar (40-50)
    Trollshaws (32-42)
    Misty Mountains (40-48)
    Eregion (48-52)

Level 50 is where the expansions kick in:
    Mine of Moria (50-60)
    Siege of Mirkwood (60-65)
    Rise of Isengard (65-75)
    Riders of Rohan (75-85)
    Helm's Deep (85-95)

The are also some post level 50 quest packs that cover similar - if not all - level ranges 50+. These are:
    Lothlorien (55-60)
    Enedwaith (60-65)
    Great River (70-75)
    Wildermore (85) - Wildermore will PROBABLY be adjusted to Lv80-85 with or after Helm's Deep launch.

To to answer your question: are these mandatory? Post level 50, if you have the expansions? No.

Between Lv 30ish (after the free regions) and the start of moria I'd recommend VIP or 2/3 quest packs to get you enough levels. Evendim for certain, then either Forochel or Angmar, and then Eregion.
    [SIZE=3][b]Leader of [COLOR="#FFD700"]The Rangers of Eriador[/COLOR], Snowbourn[/b][/SIZE]
    [color=#00BF00]Brya, Balthelion, Fyore, Iarngard, Madic, Eoradain, Trystana, Pendalas, Kharmul, Arkunir, Holibrand, Tifridh, Freawyn, Adlanniel, Tiraniel, Lilija, Theda[/color]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0szyANQhriMn42fCDdke1EMAOcdzmr9v"]Let's Play LOTRO (YouTube Series)[/URL] ~ [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?461498-The-Rangers-of-Eriador"]Kin Info/Recruitment[/URL]

WOW! thank you all for the overwhelming amount of replies! The forums here are a really nice place to be! The information you have all given me has helped massively, i now have a much better understanding of the pricing model of LOTRO and what i need to do next

Again i thank you all for all your help
    i wish you all happy hunting and kind regards
    Herb

p.s whats the catch? everyone is uber nice & the game is fresh + F2P...

WOW! thank you all for the overwhelming amount of replies! The forums here are a really nice place to be! The information you have all given me has helped massively, i now have a much better understanding of the pricing model of LOTRO and what i need to do next

Herb

I'm sure there are plenty of players that have already played enough LOTRO and have moved on.
    The game started in 2007 and only got one third of the way through (breaking of the fellowship) by 2011. There is some question about extending the licence beyond 2017. No ideas how the devs will get the ring to Mordor in time.

As mentioned above, the game becomes significantly less free to play after level 30 (but you can come back without issue). I (and obviously Turbine) thinks that once you have played that far, you will cough up the money to keep going (and there are some reasonably cheap ways to get a lot of LOTRO).

Herb

This game has always had an above average player base in terms of helpfulness, common decency toward other players whether new or veteran. Enjoy!
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

the catch? not sure there is, the game though is changing, so you'll people complaining about that, but well, as a pretty new player myself i still love the game...

have fun!
    Flixxer - Hunter - Imladris - 100 R7 ---- Danielleth - Minstrel - Imladris - 22
    Zaireth - Rune-keeper - Imladris - 73 -- Ariannasophia - Warden - Imladris - 14
    Flixxer - Champion - Eldar - 54

The catch? It will ruin you for ALL OTHER GAMES.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Citation Envoyé par Shukar Voir le message
    The catch? It will ruin you for ALL OTHER GAMES.
    Yeah, but that's not a catch, it's a feature.
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

Règles de messages