Il semble que les cookies ne soient pas activés dans votre navigateur. Veuillez activer les cookies pour garantir une expérience du site optimale.
Affichage des résultats 1 à 25 sur 590

Hybrid View

Club Eclair - A slow-leveling roleplay adventure club.

Club Eclair is a planned new club in which players can roleplay and interact on adventures as they level their characters.

Club members are to hold their characters to about the same level - either by restricting their adventures or by using the XP disabler. We all agree to progress at about the same rate so that, when there is group content to be done, we can come together to complete it.

Club Eclair will start off (naturally enough) at 6th level - the level one leaves the introduction area. Players can play as they like - together or apart - crafting or harvesting materials or playing music or what they please - with the agreement not to advance above 6th level until everybody is ready to advance.

However, by having a group of characters at the same level, if anybody wants to do anything that requires a group, there will be other group members at the same level that can participate.

For example, in the Shire, club members could get together to run the Gift to the North. Later, at 15th level, a group of Club Eclair members can get together to explore Haudh Iarchith in the southern Barrow Downs - an elite barrow that would likely require a full fellowship at such a level.

Club Eclair ultimately will have only two rules.

(1) To respect the level cap (to keep everybody at the same level).

(2) To engage in "walk and talk" roleplaying adventure. The purpose of this group is to engage in roleplaying adventures - the type of adventures that make for good stories.

Players can have more than one character in the group. For example, I plan on having a hobbit warden (Alphred) and a hobbit minstrel (Hedgerow). When other members of the group want help for a mission I can bring along either character depending on which better suits their needs and interests.

Players do not need to always play together at a particular place and time. Players can play their characters whenever they want - respecting the level cap. The hope is that Club Eclair will draw enough people that there will be somebody to help when somebody wants help, and there will be somebody to adventure with when somebody wants company.

Players do not need to worry if they need to drop out for a while. Unlike other types of clubs, the group is not "stuck" if some member cannot make it. When the missing player returns, he or she can catch up to the new level cap and join on adventures just as before.

The Club-Eclair Channel

Communications will be through this forum (which will list the current group level cap), and through a new in-game private channel called Club-Eclair. (On Landroval, type /joinchannel Club-Eclair).

The Bounders of the Shire will remain closely associated with Club Eclair with a few Bounders being members (e.g., Alphred and Hedgerow).

The starting level cap will be Level 6 - which will allow one to do a vast majority of the quests in the starter regions. We'll see to raising it when the members are good and ready.
    Dernière modification par Tiempko ; 05/08/2014 à 19h24.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in eastern Angmar for all Shadows of Angmar end-game content (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

Sounds hard to accomplish, but really fun. I don't know about all parts of Middle-Earth. But I am 100% ready to play in the Shire and maybe even in Bree-land.
    -----------------------
    Hilly Greenfield
    Vormindin Greenfield
    Sunhill Greenfield

-------
    The Lord of The River - Hobby Event (link on forum)
    The Echoes of bygone Ages - Hobby Event (link on forum)
    ---
    Hurrah! The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition + Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]

Citation Envoyé par Vormindin Voir le message
    Sounds hard to accomplish, but really fun. I don't know about all parts of Middle-Earth. But I am 100% ready to play in the Shire and maybe even in Bree-land.
    I don't see anything particularly hard to accomplish.

This is a club for people who like roleplaying adventures with what might be called an enhanced state of difficulty - the type of difficulty that encourages people to work together.

I do not know how many people enjoy this type of adventure - but it should not require many to make a good club.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in eastern Angmar for all Shadows of Angmar end-game content (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

Glad to see a group forming up. Have you done much XP planning past the starter areas and on toward bree?

Things start to get complicated..quickly =)

I'm just not sure I can bring myself to commit to such a character on a world I don't normally play on. I've gotta think about it, especially with all the Yule grind this year =/

Wishing you all the best!
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Citation Envoyé par Crell_1 Voir le message
    Glad to see a group forming up. Have you done much XP planning past the starter areas and on toward bree? Things start to get complicated..quickly =)
    I have looked at the levels up to Level 35. It does get complicated, but there seem to be some natural breaks one can take advantage of.

Everything is subject to change and mutual agreement of the participants, but I think this will work up to 25.

(1) Level 6. At this level, one can do about 70% of the quests in the starter areas - and they are a challenge. Several will require the help of friends. However, that is what Club Eclair is for. People who want to solo through the quests do not need a group. This is for people who prefer challenging fellowship adventures. Pretty much, this level should give one the sense of being a regular citizen - a member of the militia whike Club Eclair gets organized.

(2) After living as a regular citizen in one's introductory region for a while, jump the level cap to 9 to finish out the introductory areas. Now, things are getting serious.

(3) Increase the cap to level 11 and go to Bree and (I suspect) move to the Prancing Pony as the group's base of operations. Characters who have been adventuring in their different starter regions meet up for the first time. The South Bree Fields, Buckland, and the Old Forest become our new playground.

(4) Increase the cap to 12 and move to Adso's Camp for a bit. There are nine Level 17 quests there to be done. This should not take long.

(5) A big jump to Level 15. This opens up the North Bree Fields and - in particular - the Barrow Downs. My personal interest is in spending quite a bit of time in the Barrow Downs. At 15th level, the Level 20 elite barrows will almost certainly require a full fellowship - complete with boss fights. I would also like to earn "Kindred" with Bree town. One of the values of this group is being able to earn reputation when reputation is actually valuable. I think we should also move our "base camp" out of the Prancing Pony and to the Hunter's Lodge.

(6) Increase to 16th level and finish some Level 21 quests in the Barrow Downs and the Northern Bree-fields. This should not take a lot of time.

(7) Raise the cap to 20. At this level, all of the quests around the Forsaken Inn are doable. The Level 25 quests will require a full fellowship in some cases. The "base camp" can be split between Candaith's camp and the Forsaken Inn. Perhaps get a room in the basement. Perhaps explore that draft coming out from behind the bookshelf.

(8) Keep the cap at 20 and migrate over to Trestlebridge. Almost all of the quests from Trestlebridge and Aman Raith can be done. This will involve the "elite" region Nan Wathren - requiring full fellowships for some missions.

(9) Raise the cap to 22 for the Fields of Fornost quests.

(10) With the cap staying at 22, move back to the Lone Lands for the orc-and-dwarf caves and questing in the region between Weathertop and Ost Guruth.

Well, this is an idea for starting. Everything is negotiable - this is a starting point.

Couple thoughts: Remember that crafting gives XP now, so you'll need to proactive about watching that XP =), and that Festival QUEST XP now scales to character Level.

I dont know how many people will do this adventure on more than one character, but you may wish to do all of the starter regions. before moving the cap.

(Don't ask me how to explain the travel from Region A to B, as you jump back and forth)

I do like the the thought of small cap-bumps. Everything may not be 'White', but the flow seems more natural, also. I love that it appears you'll be trying some red-quests =)

Have you given thought to any of the following long-term considerations: 'Traveling to the instance before starting it' Rift (LIs or not?).

I'm more and more loving the thought of /signing up ... if only I could pick which character! Any other interested participants out there have character classes in mind?
    Dernière modification par Crell_1 ; 12/12/2012 à 16h08.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Citation Envoyé par Tiempko Voir le message
    Club Eclair is a planned new club in which players can roleplay and interact on adventures as they level their characters intended for the release of the XP Disabler - which will come with the next update.

Club members are to hold their characters to about the same level - either by restricting their adventures or by using the XP disabler. We all agree to progress at about the same rate so that, when there is group content to be done, we can come together to complete it.

Club Eclair will start off (naturally enough) at 6th level - the level one leaves the introduction area. Players can play as they like - together or apart - crafting or harvesting materials or playing music or what they please - with the agreement not to advance above 6th level until everybody is ready to advance.

However, by having a group of characters at the same level, if anybody wants to do anything that requires a group, there will be other group members at the same level that can participate.

For example, in the Shire, club members could get together to run the Gift to the North. Later, at 15th level, a group of Club Eclair members can get together to explore Haudh Iarchith in the southern Barrow Downs - an elite barrow that would likely require a full fellowship at such a level.

Club Eclair ultimately will have only two rules.

(1) To respect the level cap (to keep everybody at the same level).

(2) To engage in "walk and talk" roleplaying adventure. The purpose of this group is to engage in roleplaying adventures - the type of adventures that make for good stories.

Players can have more than one character in the group. For example, I plan on having a hobbit warden (Alphred) and a hobbit minstrel (Hedgerow). When other members of the group want help for a mission I can bring along either character depending on which better suits their needs and interests.

Players do not need to always play together at a particular place and time. Players can play their characters whenever they want - respecting the level cap. The hope is that Club Eclair will draw enough people that there will be somebody to help when somebody wants help, and there will be somebody to adventure with when somebody wants company.

Players do not need to worry if they need to drop out for a while. Unlike other types of clubs, the group is not "stuck" if some member cannot make it. When the missing player returns, he or she can catch up to the new level cap and join on adventures just as before.

The Club-Eclair Channel

Communications will be through this forum (which will list the current group level cap), and through a new in-game private channel called Club-Eclair. (On Landroval, type /joinchannel Club-Eclair).

The Bounders of the Shire will remain closely associated with Club Eclair with a few Bounders being members (e.g., Alphred and Hedgerow).

The starting level cap will be Level 6 - which will allow one to do a vast majority of the quests in the starter regions. We'll see to raising it when the members are good and ready.
    Consider me interested! How might I go about joining Club Eclair? Also, are there any classes you are short on at the moment?

Citation Envoyé par Crell_1 Voir le message
    Couple thoughts: Remember that crafting gives XP now, so you'll need to proactive about watching that XP =), and that Festival QUEST XP now scales to character Level.

I dont know how many people will do this adventure on more than one character, but you may wish to do all of the starter regions. before moving the cap.

(Don't ask me how to explain the travel from Region A to B, as you jump back and forth)

I do like the the thought of small cap-bumps. Everything may not be 'White', but the flow seems more natural, also. I love that it appears you'll be trying some red-quests =)

Have you given thought to any of the following long-term considerations: 'Traveling to the instance before starting it' Rift (LIs or not?).

I'm more and more loving the thought of /signing up ... if only I could pick which character! Any other interested participants out there have character classes in mind?
    Would love to have a fellow Riddermark player along for the ride Crell!
    Igluk ~ Warg
    Nadhuil ~ 85 Hunter
    Dollas ~ 85 Rune-Keeper

Citation Envoyé par RLhunterman Voir le message
    Consider me interested! How might I go about joining Club Eclair? Also, are there any classes you are short on at the moment?
    You join by

(a) Creating a character or using an existing character - no higher than Level 6.
    (b) Purchasing and equipping an XP disabler so as to stay at Level 6
    (c) Joining the user channel Club-Eclair by typing "/joinchannel club-eclair".
    (d) Saying hello.

Note that this is a adventure-roleplaying group. Which means we do the quests in the game, but we do them in a walk-and-talk role-playing style rather than shoot-loot-and-scoot raid style.

Hunters and minstrels are common. Others are rare. I have not seen a lore master yet - or an elf. But we are strong advocates of play what you like. We will fit you in somehow.

Iffen you have a character higher than Level 6 . . . well . . . we'll get to the appropriate level some-day. That is the intent. We will be raising our level cap every now and then.
    Dernière modification par Tiempko ; 23/12/2012 à 01h11.

Citation Envoyé par Tiempko Voir le message
    You join by

(a) Creating a character or using an existing character - no higher than Level 6.
    (b) Purchasing and equipping an XP disabler so as to stay at Level 6
    (c) Joining the user channel Club-Eclair by typing "/joinchannel club-eclair".
    (d) Saying hello.

Note that this is a adventure-roleplaying group. Which means we do the quests in the game, but we do them in a walk-and-talk role-playing style rather than shoot-loot-and-scoot raid style.

Hunters and minstrels are common. Others are rare. I have not seen a lore master yet - or an elf. But we are strong advocates of play what you like. We will fit you in somehow.

Iffen you have a character higher than Level 6 . . . well . . . we'll get to the appropriate level some-day. That is the intent. We will be raising our level cap every now and then.
    Sounds simple enough.

I'll probably end up using the character below -V-V-V-V-

I'll see you out there!
    Igluk ~ Warg
    Nadhuil ~ 85 Hunter
    Dollas ~ 85 Rune-Keeper

Been enjoying the disabler and doing everything at level 6. My character is Sagion (man captain) - I enjoyed meeting some of you over the weekend. Sorry for my lack of RP skills -- that part is new for me and not so easy. You guys are excellent RPers, though! It was a lot of fun.

To Bounder Meadowlarke Sweetweed
    Chief
    Bounders of the Shire
    Addernotch Station

Sir

I am writing to report of the battles near Needlehole.

First, though, let me report that if you know of anybody who would like to join us in these missions, there is room for more.

It was discovered that some dwarfs near here were capturing and caging trolls to ship north for some villainous end. Ulfar, a local Dwarf leader, asked for help in raiding the camps and slaying the captured trolls.

For the last few days we have been learning the location of these camps. When we found one we sent in a team of three soldiers with a Dwarf scout (who does not participate in the fighting).

Given the fact we are near to new recruits going against veteran dwarfs and a troll, we were more than a little worried about the outcome. I was scared - I admit. My team included Pintail, who is quite good with a bow, and Hallfred, who is poor in combat but good at keeping us focused on our goal and fighting when we otherwise would have fled.

It's odd, I scarcely remember the details of the battle. I remember Pintail setting traps, and me setting up between the enemy and him. I remember Hallfred's encouraging words, particularly as I started to panic against the enemy's blows. Of course, I remember how it ended - &the troll was slewn.

Four other teams have gone out to different camps. We were successful in every case, losing only one soldier. The minstrel Hedgerow. He was overwhelmed by dwarfs in the last fight, but the others of his team carried through to victory. The Dwarfs are tending to his wounds.

We will continue to battle as we find more camps.

Alphred Troute, Bounder
    Dernière modification par Tiempko ; 25/12/2012 à 08h15.

Hedgerow Shrewburrow and Alphred Troute have been spending the last couple of weeks enjoying their return to the Shire.

Alphred went back home to Little Delving and met with his father and two young sisters. He was a bit nervous as he approached the town. Walking down the path, he saw the gate to Little Delving - what was once the limit to what he had seen in the world. His mind raced through a history of fighting trolls at Needlehole, battling goblins in the Greenfields, wandering the Old Forest, exploring the Barrow Downs out of Bree, defeating the troll on Weathertop, and meeting up with Radagast to battle Ivar the Bloodhand in the swamps of Agamaur out of Ost Guruth. The young fishinghobbit that left Little Delving almost seemed like a stranger to him.

His family was happy to see him. There was no traces of anger for having run away from home - just pleasure at seeing him back. Alphred could tell that his father looked at him differently. He was wearing his Bounder uniform. Well, not his uniform entirely. He recalled the day he was standing before the Bounder station near Town Hole in Michel Delving, and a hobbit name of Hoppa Joel handed him an out fit his own father Tobblin used to wear when on patrol. It was old and tattered, but well warn and warm - and it had served him well.

Hedgerow Shrewburrow returned to Michel Delving. He noticed the new Founder's Statue in the middle of town, and was quite pleased to see Peony Fallohide - Marco's wife - being honored for her contribution to the founding. Why they had given all the credit only to the two brothers Marco and Blanco, he could not tell. It seemed wholly unfair. Neither of them were pregnant, as Peony was when she left the Shire. She contributed as much to making the Shire a new home as any of the lads. Now, the statue gave her the recognition she deserved.

Every once in a while, the Mayor does something right.

He spent his days soaking in the Shire . . . talking to people . . . walking through the town . . . remembering what it was he was fighting to defend. As he did, it made him nervous to think about the dangers that were growing.

Anxious about the battles to come, he took a trip to Brockenborings and signed up at the skirmish training camp that was set up out there. He went on a few skirmish trainings to pass the time, to improve his battling skills.

On Monday, January 13, Club Éclair will end its short vacation and head back into the field. They will be going to the North Downs, and helping the Rangers at Esteldin.

If you want to join Club Éclair, you need a 25h level character who likes roleplaying while questing. Club Éclair uses the XP disabler to set a level cap which allows all of us to stay at a level where we can adventure together no matter how much we play.

You can reach Club Éclair by typing: /joinchannel club-éclair.

Club Éclair is not a kinship. Its members belong to a number of different kins. It is a club filled with people who want to play a character in the world, take their time and savor all that has been created. It is not for everybody. However, if you are one who would like this type of adventure, I invite you to bring a Level 25 character (or less) to the North Downs starting on January 13th and joining in the adventure. I hope to see you in-game.

There are a lot of things that need to be done.

((Club Eclair)) Hedgerow Shrewburrow - Finding Esteldin

To Meadowlarke Sweetweed
    Chief, Bounders of the Shire - Addernotch Station

Sir!

It is my pleasure to report on our success against the villainy that threatens the Shire.

We have reached Esteldin - the secret ranger camp in the middle of the North Downs. The Rangers here are surrounded by villainy on all sides. They fear that if the enemies get themselves organized, they will overrun the camp. Though, truth be told, the rangers' efforts to keep the camp secret and safe leaves much to be desired.

We're actually up here on news that Skogrim - the dwarf that was buying up trolls captured in the Roshok Bog and stirred the goblins on the Greenfields to battle - was to raise an army in the north. Indeed, we saw an army in Nan Wathren, with siege weapons fit to breach the wall about Bree. But we haven't seen sign of Skogrim. I can't make sense of it. There is an army - or there are armies - but I have little information on who leads them overall. They came from Angmar, I know that.

Still, there is villainy here what is too close to the Bounds for comfort. So, there's a need to make sure the Rangers here hold their ground. Towards that end, we have been conducting patrols out of the secret Ranger camp.

We had a huge battle against the trolls near the elf ruins of Meluinen - at the north side of that great huge lake we visited a while back hunting turtles. Our battle was something of an accident, truth be told. The Chief of the Trolls had taken a trinket of great value to the elfs. Andrig, Erikin, Willameena and I went to do battle against them, as much as to weaken the trolls as to help the elfs. I would not consider the recovery of a trinket to be worth the battle but for the threat of a colony of trolls near the Shire.

On our way back, we noticed some peculiar rock formations on a hill, crudely constructed to be certain, but constructed nonetheless. And guarded - a pair of trolls guarding the entranceway.

Where there are guards, there is something worthy of guarding. Aearthor headed that way. Aearthor had come upon us late, catching up - following the signs of battle we had left among the trolls. When he saw the guarded and fortified troll hill, he went straight off.

I grew concerned about continuing our battles against the trolls versus getting back to the comforts the elf had built for themselves. Hadn't we done enough harm to the trolls? But as Aearthor reached the guards, Erikin and Willameena returned to us and joined in.

I had the misfortune of having Andrig the Mad Dwarf with us, who figured that no battle with a troll could be endured where battle could be had against a half dozen trolls. He charged in roaring and shouting, rousing the whole camp against us. I wonder if I should fear him more than Skogrim or Ivar the Bloodhand.

Conquering the trolls, we found a cave entrance. And though we had been in battle most of the day, too many of us were curious as to what we would find in the cave. In spite of all we had endured, we entered the cave.

What did we find?

More trolls.

Much more trolls. We found a vast underground village of trolls.

We followed the meandering hallways to huge caverns. A waterfall made a massive undergrounds shallow lake with a floor of rock and sand.

As we went forever onwards, Andrig speculated that the caverns might connect to the Ettenmoors themselves, and be the conduit that fed trolls into the North Downs.

We found no end of the caverns, and no end of the trolls. We simply decided eventually on the need to turn back. But not before we found a peculiar oddity - men, of a civilization I had not seen before.

Admittedly, our first hope was that they were a lost band of warriors much like ourselves needing help in finding a way out. But when we approached, they attacked us on sight. They were skilled battlers - but we had numbers on our side. We drove them off. That was the point at which we decided to find our own way back to the surface.

Weary and anxious for home, we fell into our biggest battle of the expedition. Leaving the cave, we discovered that near to a dozen trolls had set an ambush for us.

It was the only time we had worries the battle might turn against us. I tried to find a place clear of the others where I could see the rocks flying at me. The trolls would lob heavy boulders. Fortunately, the slow lob of a heavy rock gave me plenty of time to move aside. I was grateful that they never learned the option of picking smaller rocks and pitching them at speed.

Well, we survived the battle. There were some bruising when it was all done, and Willameena's pet from the swamp took a blow that had it scampering for cover. But we were all whole when the last troll fell.

We still needed to make our way back to the elfs.

Ironically, though I survived the trolls, I near to came to my end in a river that flows through the region. The bank became steep, and I slipped and slid right into the water. I was screaming for help as my waterlogged robes started to pull me under. Then Aearthor was standing beside me. He didn't even need to swim. Standing on the river bottom, he pulled me out and got me to dry land.

We reported our success to the elfs, who gave us a message to give to the Esteldin Rangers. They said that "The Nine" were about.

I sure hope this is not another villain we need to worry about - our list of villains is long enough.

Erikin made comments suggesting that he knew of these nine. I didn't ask for details, as I hope they well be of no bother for us.

Since arriving at Esteldin, I have had a few patrols for the Rangers. Mad Andrig went out to attack a nest of spiders. The next day, he defend a nearby farm from Orc menaces. Both times, I traveled with him to offer what helps I could.

Once, I traveled with Brabbo for a bit. Brabbo was taking a Ranger test of visiting a half dozen ruins and recording the engravings of the founding stone at each. I went with him as he sought two of the stones. In one case, the stone was in ruins that foul dwarfs made a home in - exactly the type of dwarfs that Skogrim may command. I never saw any sign of the pale dwarf, though, truth be told, I forgot to look.

In looking for the other marker, we asked a ranger that Andrig and I had spoken to earlier if he could point us in the right direction. I will confess to some embarrassment when he turned us around and pointed to a small rise that Brabbo and I had scampered around moments before - and there it was right at the top.

Brabbo went on, while I stayed with the Ranger for the night and returned to Esteldin. The roads are safe enough for me to travel alone, though I fear going off the paths any distance. Not without the company of somebody with a sword and thick armor.

We will continue our hunt for Skogrim, and I will tell you of our progress.

Bounder Recruit - still

Hedgerow Shrewburrow

((Club Eclair)) Alphred Troute - We Killed a Dragon

Father

I fought a dragon and won!

Well, I wasn’t alone, of course. Brabbo and Algowyn were with me. And the truth of the matter is that no two of us could have defeated this beast. It took the three of us.

It started when I announced that I was going to go on a warg hunt in the lands north and east of the secret ranger camp at Esteldin. I sent out messages to any other Eclairian who wasn’t busy to see if any wanted to join me. Brabbo and Algowyn both agreed to share the journey with me.

It turns out that Brabbo was on a mission to scout “the Ram Duath”. This is an odd name for a set of passes through a ridge of high mountains between the North Downs and Angmar.

I’ll admit that I am not the perfect student of history, so I may be wrong with this. However, as I understand it, Angmar was one of the seats of ancient evil in previous ages. Its agents were responsible for spreading corruptions through the lands to the south – conquering the city of Fornost and delivering the disease and pestilence that created the Barrow Downs outside of Bree. I remember the villainous folk around Archet and Combe and in the Chetwood forest claiming to be working for Angmar, telling us “Wait until Angmar gets here” and such.

The orcs that have migrated into the North Downs and set themselves up at Fornost, Nan Wathren, and Dol Dinen came down out of Angmar through the passes – I think that has been solidly established. They certainly could not have just sprung up out of the ground.

Anyways, one of the passes goes to a dragon lair. We know this because a squad went up into that pass earlier and slew many salamander-like lizards and even some of what we have been calling hobbit dragons. I haven’t seen one of them dragons yet.

Anyways, we got to the mouth of this pass and there, just at the entrance, there was this huge and most vicious dragon!

It was actually quite pretty, truth be told. It had golden skin trimmed out in red where his bones went through his wings and on much of its body. But for the horns on its head and on its underbelly there was the prettiest sapphire blue and emerald green. Iffen it had been a gem-encrusted statue it could not have been made to look any prettier. I felt quite the twinge of upset over the idea that we would slay such a creature. But then I thought of the rangers and dwarfs he might eat iffen he were allowed to stay in the valley. I had a picture in my mind of it landing in the middle of Esteldin and Othrikar and realized that I had a duty.

All three of us knew our duties. Brabbo got out his favorite lute and tuned up the strings. It may sound somewhat odd, but one of the things we have learned is the benefit of having somebody about who would stand away from the battle where he had a good view of what was happening helping to direct the fight and to rally and encourage us. The reason for the lute or drum is because they could often be heard in a battle where a human shout could not – and their notes carried meanings and encouragements. Brabbo was skilled in those arts. That left Algowyn and I to do the actual battling.

I got a bit closer to the dragon and hefted up my spear. I had hoped to get the first blow in ‘fore he knew we were there, and then charge in with Algowyn. Indeed, when my spear struck in seemed the dragon was totally confused for a moment or two – long enough for us to get up and close to the dragon while it was still trying to figure out what was happening.

But once it recovered it put up a fierce fight. It would stand up on its hind legs and flap its wings, delivering a force of wind that sent me flying well away from him. He would spit fire, where I would hide behind my shield until the flames passed. And there were its fearsome claws and fangs I had to avoid while I probed for a weak spot in its thick scaly skin for the point of my spear.

Algowyn got in behind the best where, when she wasn’t dodging its tail, she was able to drive her sword between the scales on its back. Every once in a while, the dragon would see Algowyn as an irritation and turn on her, showing me her back and giving me a chance to absorb Brabbo’s encouragements. It was during one of Algowyn’s distractions that I was able to run up its back and deliver a spearpoint between its wings. It threw me off – well across the field where I landed on my back in the soft grass. From the distance, he sucked in a lung full of air and spat fire at me. Again, I hid behind my shield until the heat passed. Then I charged forward once more into the fray.

I cannot say as to any particular blow slayed the creature. Rather, it got worn down from a hundred cuts, and when it stumbled, Algowyn and I finished it off.

I was sad to see it die, but I know we did what needed doing. If I knew of a dragon in the mountains far from people, I think I would be angry at any who hunted down such a creature just for the pleasure or glory of it.

Now, the rangers tell us we didn’t fight a true dragon. Yet, they also tell us that they haven’t seen a real dragon and only heard about them in stories. Naturally, stories would make dragons larger and more fearsome than they are in life. I am pretty certain this was a real dragon.

In closing, I will add that we did our scouting and patrols. I am looking forward to the day that I am done here and can head on home. It should not take too much longer. Just a few more patrols to secure Esteldin from the east as we have done from the west, and I will be home again.

Save a spot for me at the table.

Your son,
    Bounder Recruit Alphred Troute

Hey there,

If you are looking for a Rivendell Elf to bump into when your group is there, I have an attendant to the Last Homely House who is more or less permanently in Rivendell for wandering RPers.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Règles de messages