Il semble que les cookies ne soient pas activés dans votre navigateur. Veuillez activer les cookies pour garantir une expérience du site optimale.
Affichage des résultats 1 à 9 sur 9

Discussion: Those fancy Elves

Those fancy Elves

I have to think that Elves are, in general, my favorite race. Really the only things stopping me from playing one is:
    1. They're not quite as easy to RP as a Man, for well, obvious reasons. Elves are totally different.
    2. Class. If they could be Captains, I'd be all over it hahaha. I'm still kind of turn between Champion or Guardian... maybe even Warden. Really, I just like making things dead.

The desire to play an Elf came up again after playing a bit of Third Age Total War, and seeing the... Quanti, or something like that? I think it meant "Those who speak words" or... something again. Basically low-level "militia"-esque elves, but they were a male and female mixed unit... moving on...

What do you think roleplayers? Worth a shot? I have the Rohirrim armor, and still unsure exactly how I want to go about RP getting that stuff. I have a Rohan-borne Captain right now, but I'm unsure if I want to keep her simply because I'm not sure I can RP a Rohirrim very well. Not sure which origin is really easiest.

*cough*
    Copy/pasted, with a minor tweak, from a server's forums. I figure the more input I get, the better!

Hmm. Quendi rings a bell from SOMEwhere, in relation to elves, but don't quote me on that. If you want to kill stuff asap, DON'T go guardian. that is not it's job. I am very surprised that you aren't even considering hunter, as the obvious and most natural path for an elf to become a killing machine. Whatever. warden first, if you can wrap your head around it, otherwise champion.

Well, I'm not a MMO RPG'er, but I've done a fair bit of P&P RPG, and know a little about Tolkien.

Role playing a female Rohan warrior (or a Shieldmaiden of Rohan) would be much easier than playing an Elf simply because we only really have one example.

So the field is wide open, you could either play her like Éowyn or in any other appropriate manner with-in the Rohirrim scope.

Role playing a Tolkien Elf is tough simply because we have so much information about Elves. The Elven Champion is a classic archetype and every bit as deadly and feared as any Man or Dwarven hero, but both Guard and Warden characters fit well within canon too. So they don't all have to be Hunters and Lore Masters.

I think the trick to playing a Tolkien Elf well is to be pretty knowledgeable about the Tolkien lore. Especially The Silmarillion as these works are prominently about Elfs and their history and it is something that every Elf would know well, as they are all immortal and most of them lived through it.

Another key to me understanding that ""Elfish condescending attitude" is when I realized that to them - we are the outsiders - we are super-natural - temporary and brief - even when we die our souls goes 'hither, they know not where." while if they die they go to the Halls of Mandos beyond the undying land to eventually rejuvenate and dwell at the feet of the Ainur. Reborn more or less. So they are condescending in the traditional sense, as some one of high education might lower the tone of conversation to use simpler words and concepts so that uneducated or untrained people might understand. Not in the derogatory sense that, that word is usually associated with.

But they key to role-playing always has been: do what ever floats your boat baby - it's your game.

D

Citation Envoyé par wachkussen Voir le message
    Hmm. Quendi rings a bell from SOMEwhere, in relation to elves, but don't quote me on that. If you want to kill stuff asap, DON'T go guardian. that is not it's job. I am very surprised that you aren't even considering hunter, as the obvious and most natural path for an elf to become a killing machine. Whatever. warden first, if you can wrap your head around it, otherwise champion.
    Well Hunter isn't something I'm overly fond of. I prefer heavy armor, and really only consider Warden because the playstyle is very fast, fluid, and fun. If it was heavy armor, oh boy, oh boy...

To me, personally, the hard part about RPing Elves is you should basically know a lot of, well, Elvish. Elves seem to like to speak it.

Citation Envoyé par Dwarendele Voir le message
    I think the trick to playing a Tolkien Elf well is to be pretty knowledgeable about the Tolkien lore. Especially The Silmarillion as these works are prominently about Elfs and their history and it is something that every Elf would know well, as they are all immortal and most of them lived through it.

Another key to me understanding that "Elfish condescending attitude" is when I realized that to them - we are the outsiders - we are super-natural - temporary and brief - even when we die our souls goes 'hither, they know not where." while if they die they go to the Halls of Mandos beyond the undying land to eventually rejuvenate and dwell at the feet of the Ainur. Reborn more or less. So they are condescending in the traditional sense, as some one of high education might lower the tone of conversation to use simpler words and concepts so that uneducated or untrained people might understand. Not in the derogatory sense that, that word is usually associated with.
    I've been role-playing an Elf on Landroval for three years, and this is very good advice.

If you care at all about playing a Tolkien Elf, you should read the books, especially The Silmarillion. The thread below has some suggestions for learning Quenya or Sindarin. (A few dozen words and phrases will be enough for most RPers, although some hard-core people really do speak Sindarin, apparently!)

If, on the other hand, you are interested in the hotness aspect mentioned by Hiril Fionnuala in the Landroval thread, then never mind.

Elf RP on Landroval is languishing and many are forced to seek out companionship in Bree-town. *shudders*
    Mornawen "Molly" Bayberry
    Assistant Archivist of Bree, Landroval server
    Kinswoman of [URL="http://lonelymountainband.guildlaunch.com/"]The Lonely Mountain Band[/URL]

I actually have read Simarillion, but that was years ago. I recall it being very... difficult to read sometimes, compared to the LOTR trilogy itself.

Why can't I be interested in the gracefulness and hotness of a female elf AND their lore?

Sitting on a jewel-encrusted surfboard floating in the middle of a wavepool
    Citation Envoyé par FujibayashiSuzu Voir le message
    I actually have read Simarillion, but that was years ago. I recall it being very... difficult to read sometimes, compared to the LOTR trilogy itself.

Why can't I be interested in the gracefulness and hotness of a female elf AND their lore?
    Okay, I’ll bite, and probably regret replying, but here goes nothing.

By ‘hotness’ I take it you mean ‘sexiness.’

I am not sure about the Laurelin server, but there are many, many, ‘sexy’ elves on Landroval: plenty of Elf Women flirting with, or coupling with others, typically Men. For such a rare thing (the elf-men pairings) to occur in the books, it sure is commonplace.

I blame human nature and popular culture. See http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ElvesAreBetter and I quote, These guys usually favor whites, reds, blues, and imperial purples and wear super-sumptuous clothes along with delicate jewelry that make fangirls squee with envy.

[On a side note, it’s funny how I never see male elves getting their groove on with (human) women. My theory is that women, or men (as the case may be) are drawn to playing female elves precisely for their ‘hotness.’ The RL women want to look hot and sexy. The RL men want to look at a well-formed, sexy derrière as they play their characters, or perhaps they have other reasons for it, but I digress. Or perhaps the male Elf models just aren’t perceived as being ‘manly’ enough, so they are underplayed, and underrepresented, or the types of players drawn to playing a male Elf do not do so for the 'flirtation value' with females. Look at how many folks have complained in the Elf race thread about the male elves looking ‘sissified.’ Real men don't play male elves, or so it would seem from the responses. And, let’s face it, the female human models are dogs compared to the voluptuous female elf models, with their full lips, porcelain complexions, and hourglass figures.]

Tolkien did not write about Sexy Elves. He did not describe them as ‘hot.’ There were no casual, one night stands, no ‘slap and tickle’ going on in the Prancing Pony, or elsewhere for that matter, which is fairly commonplace behavior, at least on Landroval. There were no outright displays of personal affection: public fondling and so forth. (I would love if any Elf Rper on Laurelin would comment, and state if this goes on there commonly, as well.) Sex = Marriage. Till death do you part. Casual sex/divorce/remarriage: To quote Vizzini: "Inconceivable!" (There was actually one Elf ‘divorce’ and remarriage in the lore, and it had disastrous consequences of epic proportion. And I do mean Epic. See The Story of Finwё and Miriel and its significance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finwë)

If one wishes to RP an Elf as they are presented in Tolkien lore, then the ‘hotness’ would not be what is focused upon. There is plenty of this sort of interpretation of Elves going around on Landroval, so much so that it’s cliché. If one wants to make a unique character, then it’s probably best to avoid this. Unless, of course, one just wants to have fun, be sexy and flirt around with men in a tavern. If that’s the case, enjoy! You will find many, many folk to RP with in this fashion.

But personally, I find this to be somewhat depressing and self-limiting, when the books provide a detailed, rich resource, from which one can craft unique characters that have great depth and believability.

Not being 'sexy' does not mean Elves don't have desires, but, in general, they were described as having greater control of their emotions than humans, and casual flirtations just did not happen. That's a human take on Elves. But having emotional control does not make one emotionless.

On another side note, one does not have to make his/her elf outrightly haughty, mean-spirited and/or smug to the other races, simply because they are Just Plain Better, or as remote and aloof cardboard cutouts. These are stereotypical portrayals of Elves which, IMO of course, should be avoided, as they have been done to death, resurrected, killed again, chopped into bits, trampled into jelly, made into a pie, eaten, digested, and..well, you get my drift!

Good luck, and have fun, whatever you do.
    Dernière modification par Parnard ; 25/07/2012 à 11h10.

I think the previous post is extremely good. I find the common misconception of elves to be rather depressing, and I think may be more based on D&D's reinterpretation of Tolkien's interpretation. yes, they may seem sorrowful and aloof and arrogant, but they are often hundreds or thousands of years old. Even the fairly long-lived dwarves would have lifetimes similar to that of a dog or cat's if you put in human standards. Or another big fan community, think of the Doctor in Doctor Who. Humans are a blip on a radar. Any friends or comrades among humans an elf makes will perish of old age so quickly. That will make anyone sorrowful over time, and aloofness is one way of protecting oneself against pain.

That doesn't include the tragedies in the history of the Elves either. The Kinslaying, the wars against Morgoth, and then later Sauron. The sinking of Beleriand. Their history is replete with ancient tragedies that still affect them in the present Third Age.

Just some thoughts.

Personally, I don't understand the confusion with elves.

Elves are not like Spock from Star Trek. They aren't emotionless, drab, and boring. If anything they are the opposite. The First Age was rife with emotion, and not all of it was good. There were "bad" elves. The Sons of Feanor were so consumed by lust and revenge, they killed their own kin, stole their ships, and set fire to them, leaving a good deal of their comrades stranded in the deadly cold. Their was lust, deceit, jealousy, anger, despair, and sorrow. There was also great joy, beauty, and wonder.

Elves are immortal, yes, but they are people. Age and experience, especially when proportioned with the brevity of human life, can make one haughty and proud with a touch of melancholy, but there are still friendships and happiness and wine. Lots and lots of wine.

Imagine being 5,000 years old. Yes, I would want a drink too.

My suggestion to make it a little easier, and to be able to relate to your own character a little better, is to stay away from firstborn. Go with someone a little younger. And by younger, I mean less than 1,000 years old. An elf like that is still an elf, but is maybe easier to relate to. They have not witnessed firsthand the tragedy of Beleriand's fall, or the treachery of Sauron.

Mirkwood Elves are a particularly good choice, I think, because if you read the Hobbit, they basically party in the woods. Many of them are Nandor, who never visited the undying lands, or had much at all to do with Beleriand, so one might even dig a little deeper and go with an older soul who is only now venturing out to discover the other side of the Misty Mountains. What are humans like anyway? Who are these bizarre little people, and how do they stay so little by eating so much? You get the idea.

There is, however a touch of xenophobia among elvenkind. They don't trust men, much less Dwarves, and Hobbits have barely been a blip on their radar. That said, everyone is fighting for a common goal, and elves know what side they are on.

I myself play this way with my Hunter, who is an elf of Mirkwood. She's really just a kid (only 250 years old or so) and she parties with Hobbits and laughs at how silly they are. You don't have to be somber and arrogant all the time. (But you can if you want. There are certainly enough of those.) Relax and hang out with the Humans and Hobbits, (and Dwarves if you can stomach them), and at the end of the day you can be pensive and melancholy while they're all sleeping off their hangovers.

Règles de messages