We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Talk more in chats!

Lots of people won't agree with this post, I know it. But those who do, could you do your part on your server? I'm sick of leveling on my chars and no one ever talks. I joined a guild, same thing for multiple days so I left.

Even the Dragon Slayer competition is going on, folks!!

Best game community 2013! Come on folks!

I'm intrigued as to why people are so enthusiastic about chat. It must be my natural English reserve, but I definitely couldn't start chatting with people I hadn't been properly introduced to!
    TANSTAAFL

Greetings

I know what you mean! LotRO chat channels can be a bit quiet compared to other games, but I think one of the reasons is there is so much to do. For example we spend a great deal of time riding/running from place to place and pressing the direction keys while chatting requires more dexterity than I have!

When crafting a stack, quite often I /joinchannel glff as it's by far the most active chat channel on my server (from what I've read the channel name can vary from server to server). The next chattiest are the channels when in Bree, but by comparison it's very quiet even there.

I surmise that you meant a kinship not guild that you joined! I have never joined one but despite the fact that some are advertised as having lively chat (for example) I have heard from friends that their kinship chat channels can also be quiet which matches your experience. Maybe you could try another one and hope to get lucky finding a noisy bunch!

You might be playing during the quiet hours on your server, or you might just be on one that is not very active. If you see chat channels on the busier servers, you'll notice that there's plenty of talk going on. Just not during US night/morning times
    Fordil of Landroval, Minstrel officer of The Alliance

Check out my Guide for New Players: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?507561-GUIDE-New-to-LOTRO-hints-and-tips

From what I've seen in Bree general chat (on more than one server), I don't think more chat would be a bigger problem than less.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveLilyAllen View Post
    Greetings

I know what you mean! LotRO chat channels can be a bit quiet compared to other games, but I think one of the reasons is there is so much to do. For example we spend a great deal of time riding/running from place to place and pressing the direction keys while chatting requires more dexterity than I have!

When crafting a stack, quite often I /joinchannel glff as it's by far the most active chat channel on my server (from what I've read the channel name can vary from server to server). The next chattiest are the channels when in Bree, but by comparison it's very quiet even there.
    Press num-lock and you can auto-run which allows you to type without using WASD or the arrow keys.

To the OP, this game's population is far more reserved in general than most other MMOs, many kins and groups are very tight-knit and rarely speak in public channels. GLFF is the best bet as far as consistent 'conversation' goes, but it's more a constant stream of drivel than conversation.
    [center]RIP Character signature generator, June 2013.[/center]
    [center]Theiol, Fervar, Turthonn, and Vanka, [i]retired LOTRO[/i]|Croue, Folter, [i]Rift - Shatterbone shard[/i][/center]

It takes two to chat. Are you chatty? Do you ask questions or make comments about what you are doing? Did you ask your kinship to help you or to quest with you? Most kinships have web pages, did you post on those pages to make sure others knew you were around? Since you joined a kinship (I am assuming you meant kinship instead of guild) did you give them the benefit of the doubt before you quit? Give them or any other kinship you may join some time to get used to you. Silence will not tell them what you need. Speak up, ask questions and sound like someone that might be a fun friend. You will soon gain the chat you seek.

I think others will share your impression, it seems when nobody is chatting I can say something and get a response. Then silence. So it goes both ways. It's summer time, maybe a lower player response? There are times when the chat is crazy silly and times when the crickets can be heard for miles, yet I am in line at NPCs in town hubs.

Also the more chat filters you have active, the more chat you will see. But in general I agree, this game has lots to do and players are likely busy.

I used to chat more but slowed down, when I was in a kinship folks would chat and I was always quick to reply, carry on conversations and I can say I died most during those moments. The curser was not in position, clicking skills, etc., it was easy to suddenly have a bunch of windows open up and I would take a beating from a group of mobs or other.

There was a time when the chat window would fill up with really long advertisements to gold selling sites and there were walls of text. Endless invites to dot-coms for cheap gold. The game did wonders to illiminate that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mjk47 View Post
    I'm intrigued as to why people are so enthusiastic about chat. It must be my natural English reserve, but I definitely couldn't start chatting with people I hadn't been properly introduced to!
    Says the guy happily talking to strangers on the forum
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Edrogar View Post
    Says the guy happily talking to strangers on the forum
    Good point! Anyway, you folk aren't strange. Weird, perhaps, .......
    TANSTAAFL

Quite often chat is completely quiet until someone asks a question about some feature of the game, and then there are plenty of people to offer answers, advice, alternate suggestions, etc. It seems like there's usually people available on chat when there's something actually relevant to talk about. On the other hand, if someone's just rambling on about irrelevant topics just for the sake of "chatting", well, I'd generally turn off any channel that gets bogged down with too much of that nonsense.

Being a European playing on an American server (derp) I find that even on off hours GLFF is pretty active. However its quality fluctuates very much - while I had some great conversations about anything from movies to classical music and of course LotR lore there's always a point in the day in which a few recurrent PvPM players will basically take the channel over and treat it as their personal chatroom. That alone will make the vast majority of players too shy (or simply ininterested about IPwnNoobs998's latest fight with his girlfriend) to make the channel a really inclusive tool.

I think Turbine could do much by creating a few pre-determined server-wide channels to filter out and categorize conversations a big better. Like PVPM, make advice server-wide, a Capped-GLFF, etc.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7803/rz50.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?508409-Scenic-Arda"]Scenic Arda[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532343-Scenic-Helm-s-Deep&p=7014227"]Scenic Helm's Deep[/URL] - [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519168-New-forum-skin-light-theme"]Forum Light Theme[/URL][/CENTER]

im from arkenstone , and ican say theres always something going either in glff , kin chat and the moors ooc channel ( most active one ) ...but yeah, when ppl talka lot in glff they usually just standing in a corner bored or waiting for something to happen..and yes so manytimes all windows come up, im not hiting my skills and next thing you know im dead ...as far for kin chat , when new you must let others know you are there so they get to know you !!! i like chatting , sometimes its fun, or gets wierd , or too hot , or just hate and trolling and many going in ignore list , and getting and sending reports...anything can happen
    Ascension-Arkenstone :
    Third Marshal Finarfintook Minstrel
    Fire Rk Finarjul r10 & Finwetook r7 burg
    Creeps: Finsnightmare r8 defiler/ Finscreep r5 rvr

I get alot of chatter in brandy. With both my Kin and GLFF it's nonstop chat but I will warn ya about Brandywine GLFF, it can cause mental illness and brain rumors if you watch it too long. :P
    Also at this time people are out grinding for relics and getting ready for helms deep already, but there is a festival going on right now and there should be a buncha talk in the shire or Bree.
    Main: Builas (Hunter) lvl 85 || Thelluin (Minstrel) lvl 85 ~ Recruiting Officer of The Knights of Dol Amroth (Brandywine)
    ~Even in the darkness of Moria and Isengard, I feel the golden woods of Lòrien giving me hope~

Thumbs down

While there may be pretty leggits excuses (like having a hard fight etc), all chats, except Bree, seem to be pretty dead.
    Went to Moria's main part, 21st Hall. Asked some questions in Regional chat. No answers. Then re-asked if there was anyone alive: some 3 players responded. Several days later just stood almost half day in 21st Hall listening to chats: no one talked. There were players around, many of them...and still no talk. One player asked about help with quests. I answered...and someone else. Only two players from entire huge region.
    Same with any region I have visited. yesterday asked in so-called "festival" regional chat: no answer at all.
    Pretty bad situation in my opinion, pretty bad impression on new players. Not sure how about gllff (I do not visit it, since it is flooded with mostly senseless information), but all other chats (regional, lff, trade, advice, ooc), outside Bree are pretty dead. A pity, I thought players have things to ask or tell each other. Since it was supposed to be massively online game - I expected some kind of communication outside Kinship channel (since not everyone belongs to kinship).
    Suggestion for Turbine: remove Advice, Trade, Regional, Lff channels. One regional channel and Gllff should be more than enough (though not sure about regional).