We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Last Homely Hobbit

Good morning everyone.

I have created a new tool (for Windows users) for managing and interacting with your "Lord of the Rings Online" music library. Details and the download can be found at:

http://www.usoutpost31.com/lasthomelyhobbit/

If you care to give this a try, I welcome any and all constructive feedback. The two new instruments will be supported once Digero has updated Maestro (I'd like to handle them in a consistent manner).

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the program but when I try to play the songs, it crashes...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000029110f/signature.png]Orladan[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Orlor View Post
    Thank you for the program but when I try to play the songs, it crashes...
    Thank you for trying it out and taking the time to let me know of the problem.

I've added some exception handling to the "Play" and "Lyrics" buttons. This will not solve the underlying problem, but it will prevent the crashing and offer up some additional information about what is wrong. Would you mind re-downloading the application and trying again? I'd like to resolve the issue, but will need the information you'll receive from the updated version.

Thanks and be well.

EDIT: It would also help to know which version of Windows you are using. I've done some preliminary searches via Google and found reports of such problems from Windows XP users.
    Last edited by LandrovalBRG; Jun 27 2015 at 01:36 PM.

I get this error.

Unable to launch browsing dialog.

An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Last Homely Hobbit\5qjpixko.tmp' is denied.

(C:\Program Files (x86)\LastHomelyHobbit.exe.Con fig)

This is on a Windows 7 64bit OS.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000029110f/signature.png]Orladan[/charsig]

Excellent. Using the information you have provided, I am able to reproduce this error. Let me thank you again for taking the time to provide this feedback -- it is quite literally invaluable when it comes to eliminating problems.

You've run afoul of a Windows feature called UAC. The Program Files and Program File (x86) folders are protected, and Windows is not happy with me for trying to write to the application config file (LastHomelyHobbit.exe.config) when it sits in that protected folder.

A quick workaround is to relocate the application to a non-UAC folder (e.g., C:\Programs\Last Homely Hobbit). LHH will not be denied write privileges to that folder, and the error should cease.

However, I do not want to be in the business of telling folks how to organize their files. Frankly, this is something I should have foreseen. I didn't only because I personally do not use Program Files and Program File (x86) much. I will begin work now on an update to the application that makes it UAC-friendly. I'll post an update to this thread when it is ready.

Thanks again and be well.

I have posted a new version of the application which resolves the Windows UAC issue.

Please be advised that LHH will now store its configuration settings under a subfolder of My Documents (much like LotRO) called "Last Homely Hobbit." The settings file is named LHHConfiguration.txt and will be created there the first time that you run the application. This is the file you should edit should you desire to change any of the configuration options detailed on the LHH page.

Thank you.

A new version is now available.

What's new:

Added support for the two new instruments.
    Added a "check all" / "uncheck all" toggle.
    Resolved an issue that resulted in some false positives when searching for lyrics.
    All application settings and options are now configurable via the UI (under the Settings menu).
    The One Pie has taken a greater interest in you. If it is enabled, it will still appear only very rarely, but it will consider doing so more frequently as you use the application.

I've also added the ability to customize the presentation of instruments in the export to clipboard and Excel. Visit the Configuration section of The Last Homely Hobbit homepage for the specifics of how this works.

Oh my! This looks like it could alleviate a great many points of frustration. It is now at the top of my "things to try out when I get a chance" list.

Thank you for The Last Homely Hobbit!

I like it and now use it often. One ability that I find to be of great value (and is sadly lacking in SongbookBB) is that searching on a filename tells me what folder each match is in. This is very useful when I am with an ensemble and we find we have several (possibly different versions of) files with the same name and need to tell folks in which collection the one we should all be using resides. "No, not the one in the band book. . .Use the one from the test revisions that Ulfnar uploaded out last month." (I expect many of you LMB folks, also, have been in situations in which the overlapping libraries of the many bands creates confusion on versions.)

However, I think it would be even more useful to me if I could also search by duration (range) and Title (partial string). (And, to a lesser extent, Composer/Artist and maybe, to a much lesser extent, Author/transcriber.) I frequently am looking for tunes of a certain length to fit a timeslot. And filenames are often too altered or abbreviated for a text search to locate it easily. For example, if I see "Jhondriel is ready to play Oh What a Battleworn Beorning - Pibgorn 8", I may struggle to find the song if it's filed as [Zard]BeautifulMorning.

Also, it would be handy if it could be set to recalculate the length of all songs (not just the ones with missing track durations) and flag the ones that are noted incorrectly by more than a couple seconds. (I find that sometimes if I change the tempo of a song in Maestro, it recalculates the length on screen, but records the MIDI's original length in the ABC tags. I know I have several that could use fixing, but I don't know which ones they are.) For that matter the ability to identify files in which the parts are tagged with different lengths (or perhaps also different titles) would be handy.

I have not checked how TLHHobbit handles them, but SongbookBB, when used with Songbrowser and Songbooker, relies on special fields to display ensemble configuration options. (One uses Songbrowser to create lists of which parts to cover for different numbers of musicians. Those get embedded as custom tags in the ABC file's header. Songbooker then reads the tags and stores them in the song's record when building the Songbook.plugindata file.) They also employ similar header tags to store filtering fields for Genre and Mood categorisation.

Does TLHH extract and store those when it builds and exports the library? If custom tags become common (especially if our ABC creation tools someday support including things like transcription date or comment strings, and then BandAide or SongbookBB gain the ability to report them), it would be handy if we could specifiy a list of which ones we wish your songbook-building function to transfer.

Hal, I apologize for being slow to respond here. It was quiet for so long that I stopped dropping by to check on this thread. I'm happy to hear that you are finding LHH useful. If you are not already aware, there were several updates made after I posted this thread (the last one being in August), so be sure to update if your version is less than 1.1.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Halgoreth View Post
    Thank you for The Last Homely Hobbit!
    However, I think it would be even more useful to me if I could also search by duration (range) and Title (partial string). (And, to a lesser extent, Composer/Artist and maybe, to a much lesser extent, Author/transcriber.) I frequently am looking for tunes of a certain length to fit a timeslot. And filenames are often too altered or abbreviated for a text search to locate it easily. For example, if I see "Jhondriel is ready to play Oh What a Battleworn Beorning - Pibgorn 8", I may struggle to find the song if it's filed as [Zard]BeautifulMorning.
    Let me give this some thought. Expanding on the range of what is searchable should be doable without overly complicating the UI.

Also, it would be handy if it could be set to recalculate the length of all songs (not just the ones with missing track durations) and flag the ones that are noted incorrectly by more than a couple seconds. (I find that sometimes if I change the tempo of a song in Maestro, it recalculates the length on screen, but records the MIDI's original length in the ABC tags. I know I have several that could use fixing, but I don't know which ones they are.)
    This is also very possible. Be forewarned that calculating song lengths is by far the most expensive thing LHH does, so doing a pass over every song in a big music folder would be time consuming. What are you envisioning seeing in the UI if LHH disagrees with a song's stated length?

For that matter the ability to identify files in which the parts are tagged with different lengths (or perhaps also different titles) would be handy.
    Same question: what would this look like in the UI? Or perhaps it wouldn't show up in the UI at all, but in the export instead? I welcome your thoughts here.

I have not checked how TLHHobbit handles them, but SongbookBB, when used with Songbrowser and Songbooker, relies on special fields to display ensemble configuration options. (One uses Songbrowser to create lists of which parts to cover for different numbers of musicians. Those get embedded as custom tags in the ABC file's header. Songbooker then reads the tags and stores them in the song's record when building the Songbook.plugindata file.) They also employ similar header tags to store filtering fields for Genre and Mood categorisation.

Does TLHH extract and store those when it builds and exports the library? If custom tags become common (especially if our ABC creation tools someday support including things like transcription date or comment strings, and then BandAide or SongbookBB gain the ability to report them), it would be handy if we could specifiy a list of which ones we wish your songbook-building function to transfer.
    This is not a practice with which I am currently familiar. Could you provide some example ABCs? Also, is this something where the format is fairly standardized, or does everyone do it differently? (it is difficult to support such things in a tool if there is no consistency) If LHH was aware of such tags, what are you envisioning seeing? An optional popup (something like the lyrics button) that allows you to view the extra metadata?

Thanks for all of the feedback. I appreciate you giving this a try and providing such thoughtful commentary.

I've released a new version of the tool (version 2.0.3). It incorporates a fairly ambitious set of new features, so please let me know if you encounter any problems. The release notes are as follows:

* You no longer have the option to use your Songbook plugin data as the source of music metadata for The Last Homely Hobbit. This is because the metadata TLHH gets from indexing your LotRO music folder is greatly enriched in comparison to what Songbook offers, and thus opens the door to more advanced functionality.

* Searching for lyrics and computing song lengths are no longer optional features. These things will happen every time (again, in order to enrich the music metadata The Last Homely Hobbit collects to as great a degree as possible).

* In order to compensate for the slowness of using the LotRO music folder exclusively, searching for lyrics, and computing song lengths, The Last Homely Hobbit now persists the song metadata that it collects. So here's how things will work going forward:

- The first time you launch the application after upgrading, it will undertake an exhaustive (and slow) cataloguing of your LotRO music folder.
    - All of the lovely metadata collected by the application will be persisted in a file named songData.bin in TLHH's data folder (under My Documents).
    - On subsequent uses of the application, The Last Homely Hobbit will load the saved song metadata from this new songData.bin file. This is speedy.
    - Once The Last Homely Hobbit has loaded song metadata from songData.bin, you may immediately begin using the application. TLHH will proceed to look for music updates (changed songs, new songs, and/or deleted songs) in the background as you work, and will update the UI and its persisted metadata as it finds changes.

* The Last Homely Hobbit won't just look for song changes when it first launches. While the application is running, it will keep an eye on your LotRO music folder, and will pick up any changes that it spots. This should offer you quasi-realtime updates without needing to do anything special. It also ties in rather nicely with the "edit" quick-launch button: any ABC you edit and then save will have your changes reflected directly in TLHH, be searchable, etc. within a few seconds.

* In the export section, I've eliminated the option to export to Songbook. Instead of this, there is a new application setting (which you can access via the Settings->Manage Settings menu option) called "Keep My Songbook Plugin Data Updated." If you turn this feature on, TLHH will take responsibility for keeping your Songbook up to date. This will save you the trouble of having to click a button to update Songbook after every change to your LotRO music folder. If you have never used TLHH's Songbook export before, it is *much* faster than Songbook's own routine for updating its data. Additionally, TLHH will offer you the same quasi-realtime updates you now get elsewhere: if the application is running and you make changes to your music, TLHH will quietly push those changes to Songbook within a few seconds. You will also get the benefit of song length calculation here - TLHH will include song lengths in all track names, so that SongbookBB can tell you how much time you have left in a song you are playing, regardless of whether the transcriber included song duration in their ABC.

* You may now run only one instance of the application at a time. This is to avoid file system contention resulting from multiple application instances watching your LotRO music folder, saving changes, updating your Songbook plugin data (if you have that feature enabled), etc. As a convenience, if you try to launch a new instance of The Last Homely Hobbit when you already have the application open, the existing instance will be brought to the foreground.

* The Last Homely Hobbit will temporarily delay requests to close the application while it is processing changes to your LotRO music folder. This is done to eliminate the possibility of file corruption if TLHH is suddenly closed while it is in the midst of saving song metadata or updating your Songbook plugin data. Once TLHH has finished processing music changes, it will remember that you tried to close the application and will shut down.

Those are the major changes. I've made some more minor fixes and enhancements as well:

* Resolved a bug which prevented sorting the song list by song duration.
    * Added the ability to filter the song list based upon song duration.
    * Added the ability to filter the song list based upon how recently a song was updated.
    * Added the ability to filter the song list based upon text searches on the song filename, title and/or composer/transcriber.
    * TLHH now recognizes "opt." as a token signifying an optional track (in addition to "optional").

Quote Originally Posted by LandrovalBRG View Post
    Hal, I apologize for being slow to respond here. It was quiet for so long that I stopped dropping by to check on this thread.
    Ha! You and me both. I posted nearly two weeks ago, but didn't get around to checking back until just now and saw your response from a couple days ago.

I think it would be even more useful to me if I could also search by duration (range) and Title (partial string).
    Let me give this some thought. Expanding on the range of what is searchable should be doable without overly complicating the UI.
    UI for the string searches could use the same text box as is there now, but add perhaps checkboxes for "Find in: [ ]Filename [ ]Title"

Even if you don't add a range filter for duration, if you could make the Duration column sortable, it would be a big help. (Unlike with "Song Filename", "Parts", and "Folder", clicking "Duration" does not appear to re-sort the list. I realise that could be because some come from the file tags, but others may be calculated and not stored in your data structure in the same manner.)

it would be handy if it could be set to recalculate the length of all songs (not just the ones with missing track durations) and flag the ones that are noted incorrectly by more than a couple seconds.
    This is also very possible. Be forewarned that calculating song lengths is by far the most expensive thing LHH does, so doing a pass over every song in a big music folder would be time consuming.
    Definitely not a process one would want to start accidentally with a large library. And, ideally, one would only ever run it on the whole directory once or twice. Should probably allow one to limit to the current filter view. (That way, you could check a single song or single directory.) (Filtering on filedate might be handy, but probably not, because the creation dates for the whole folder change every time you replace a collection from a new .zip.)

Hmm. . .perhaps such a function does not really fit in well with TLHH, as that's a tool for making it easier to find songs, but the feature I suggested is for repairing them. Even so, TLHH already has most all of the capability that would be needed (cataloguing a library, calculating durations, one-click opening of file in text editor).

Maybe this is, instead, something to consider if you decide to add a tools menu. That way, it could start with a dialogue box for setting options such as: "Ignore differences less than [x] seconds", "[ ]Check all track titles for duration errors" (otherwise, perhaps it will only look for "%%song-duration tag" or the first title containing a time), "[ ]Find songs without time in track titles", or whatever.

What are you envisioning seeing in the UI if LHH disagrees with a song's stated length?
    I don't really know. Maybe just have it find the ones that do not match and list them so one may play and edit the files. Still, though, there should be some way for the UI to indicate both what the state duration is and the calculated one, but I know know where it would fit. (Having it in a separate report would work, even if less visually accessible.)

Same question: what would this look like in the UI? Or perhaps it wouldn't show up in the UI at all, but in the export instead? I welcome your thoughts here.
    If it is executed from the tool menu (instead of being a setting to modify the standard cataloguing behavior), perhaps the feature could start with a dialogue box for preferences, and finish with a "Scan Completed" pop-up showing a "1823 files scanned, 46 durations were missing, 5 have inconsistent track times" summary (maybe scrollable with detail?) with buttons for viewing/saving a detailed report as a text file. And, of course, the main window would be filtered to show the songs with errors.

Again, if you do decide to add some error-catching tools to LHH, another candidate would be one that scans for songs with duplicate part numbers (Songbook sometimes cannot play them), duplicate part titles (SongbookBB cannot tell which one is synched), duplicate %%part-name tags, mismatched song name within the part titles, etc.

I have not checked how TLHHobbit handles them, but SongbookBB, when used with Songbrowser and Songbooker, relies on special fields to display ensemble configuration options. . . . . . . . . .Does TLHH extract and store those when it builds and exports the library?
    This is not a practice with which I am currently familiar.
    I played with it some. LHHbt appears to stop reading the plugindata file when it encounters the Badger custom data. (If I had "write filter tags" enabled when I ran Songbooker, LHHbt only shows the first 113 files. If Songbooker builds the library catalogue without it enabled, LHHbt lists all 7132.)

I have not noticed any instances in which LHHbt, when indexing directly from the music directory, failed to catalogue an ABC file that included the Badger tags. That is really as expected, because the custom tags are each prefixed with a standard "N:" tag.

Could you provide some example ABCs?
    This is what Songbrowser writes to the ABC file (placing it after the top header block of %% tags, if any, and before the header for the first track):
    Code:
    N: TS  3,  41 61 71
    N: TS  4,  41 51 61 71
    N: TS  5,  11 41 51 61 71
    N: TS  6,  11 21 41 51 61 71
    N: TS  7,  11 21 41 51 61 62 71
    N: TS  8,  11 12 21 41 51 61 62 71
    N: TS  9,  11 12 21 31 41 51 61 62 71
    N: TS 10,  11 12 21 31 41 51 61 62 71 91
    N: Title: Flayed Alive
    Z: Halgoreth
    C: Barney the Dinosaur
    N: Genre: Lullaby
    And this is what the song's record looks like in the .plugindata file if Songbooker is set to write filter tags:
    Code:
    		[159] =
    		{
    			["Filepath"] = "/ChildrenSongs/",
    			["Filename"] = "10-(Halg)FlayedAlive",
    			["Tracks"] =
    			{
    	---deleted---
    			},
    			["Transcriber"] = "Halgoreth",
    			["Artist"] = "Barney the Dinosaur",
    			["Genre"] = "Lullaby",
    			["Partcounts"] = "CDEFGHIJ",
    			["Setups"] =
    			{
    				"EGI", "EFGI", "AEFGI", "ACEFGI", "ACEFGHI", "ABCEFGHI", "ABCDEFGHI", "ABCDEFGHIJ"
    			}
    		},

Also, is this something where the format is fairly standardized,
    I seriously doubt it. I think the Brandy Badgerses came up with it on their own in order to address a set of very common points of frustration.

or does everyone do it differently?
    For tracking part setup variations, I doubt anyone else is doing it at all, other than by mixing a bunch of code letters into their part names. For things like "Genre" and "Artist" filter tags, those might be part of the larger ABC standard that LotRO does not use, but I have not looked.

It is difficult to support such things in a tool if there is no consistency) If LHH was aware of such tags, what are you envisioning seeing?
    I'm not sure. I was thinking that if it recognised them, it could at least know to include them when exporting a new library cataloque. My thought had been a preference in which one can have a list of metatags that are to be written. However, I see from my example above, the ABC custom tags are not written as-is into the song record; they are translated into data values. That's not something I would expect LHH to do unless LHH itself had features that make use of the tags.

Thus, at the least, I would like it if LHH could read from a songbook.plugin file containing such fields and know how to recognise and ignore them instead of aborting.

An optional popup (something like the lyrics button) that allows you to view the extra metadata?
    That's an interesting idea.

Oh, one other thing. . .I would like the ability to copy a filename from the list (either drag-select and copy, or maybe hover and choose Copy from a right-click menu). And maybe folder name as well. It would be handy when for announcing to the rest of the band what file to queue (and where to find it) and also for writing out set lists. (Currently, if I find a song using TLHH and need to copy the filename, I navigate through my harddrive to find the file.) I would find that especially convenient for playing a song ingame after using TLHH to aid with my selection: just copy the name and paste it into Songbook's search box.

I've released a new version of the tool (version 2.0.3).
    Yea! (I just saw this announcement, it apparently came in while I was typing my previous message.)

* You no longer have the option to use your Songbook plugin data as the source of music metadata for The Last Homely Hobbit.
    I'm worried that the need to wait for it recompile from the directory (or, at least scan for changes) each time I start it might make it less convenient for "looking something up real quick". I don't run it until I need it. I'll see how the new one compares; it could be that you gain a lot of speed by only dealing with your own native data file (and not having to check for changes made to the file by another application).

* Searching for lyrics and computing song lengths are no longer optional features. These things will happen every time
    I have little to no interest in embedded lyrics. But, if it does it in the background, I won't even notice.

- Once The Last Homely Hobbit has loaded song metadata from songData.bin, you may immediately begin using the application. TLHH will proceed to look for music updates (changed songs, new songs, and/or deleted songs) in the background as you work, and will update the UI and its persisted metadata as it finds changes.
    Oh! That sounds very fast indeed. The only thing one might have to wait on is something that was just added/moved/modified.

* In the export section, I've eliminated the option to export to Songbook. Instead of this, there is a new application setting (which you can access via the Settings->Manage Settings menu option) called "Keep My Songbook Plugin Data Updated." If you turn this feature on, TLHH will take responsibility for keeping your Songbook up to date. This will save you the trouble of having to click a button to update Songbook after every change to your LotRO music folder.
    I really like the sound of that! (For multiple accounts? Or is only one automatic?)

You will also get the benefit of song length calculation here - TLHH will include song lengths in all track names, so that SongbookBB can tell you how much time you have left in a song you are playing, regardless of whether the transcriber included song duration in their ABC.
    I'm concerned that using a different track title in the songbook.plugindata file will cause SongbookBB to fail to recognise a sync notification from bandmate queuing up using the trackname found in the ABC.

Those are the major changes. I've made some more minor fixes and enhancements as well:

* Resolved a bug which prevented sorting the song list by song duration.
    * Added the ability to filter the song list based upon song duration.
    * Added the ability to filter the song list based upon how recently a song was updated.
    * Added the ability to filter the song list based upon text searches on the song filename, title and/or composer/transcriber.
    All great news.

* TLHH now recognizes "opt." as a token signifying an optional track (in addition to "optional").
    I always use "(opt)" or, if I strongly recommend the optional part, "(opt rec)".

Wow! Quite a bit here to reply to. Thanks again for all of the feedback.

UI for the string searches could use the same text box as is there now, but add perhaps checkboxes for "Find in: [ ]Filename [ ]Title"

Even if you don't add a range filter for duration, if you could make the Duration column sortable, it would be a big help.
    This is all set in the latest release. Duration column is sortable, extra text search options are included.

This is what Songbrowser writes to the ABC file (placing it after the top header block of %% tags, if any, and before the header for the first track):
    Would you be willing to send me this .ABC for analysis? I promise not to use it for any purpose other than TLHH development.

I do not have previous experience with the extra metadata generated by Songbrowser/Songbooker, but I would like to add support for it, and for writing the enriched Songbook plugindata file, if possible.

Oh, one other thing. . .I would like the ability to copy a filename from the list (either drag-select and copy, or maybe hover and choose Copy from a right-click menu). And maybe folder name as well. It would be handy when for announcing to the rest of the band what file to queue (and where to find it) and also for writing out set lists. (Currently, if I find a song using TLHH and need to copy the filename, I navigate through my harddrive to find the file.) I would find that especially convenient for playing a song ingame after using TLHH to aid with my selection: just copy the name and paste it into Songbook's search box.
    I will look into making the music listview support copying to clipboard soon.

I'm worried that the need to wait for it recompile from the directory (or, at least scan for changes) each time I start it might make it less convenient for "looking something up real quick". I don't run it until I need it. I'll see how the new one compares; it could be that you gain a lot of speed by only dealing with your own native data file (and not having to check for changes made to the file by another application).
    The first run - where the metadata is originally gathered - is a bit painful. But subsequent loads are at the same speed level as using the Songbook plugindata (it's the same basic concept, reading all of the necessary data from a single file).

I have little to no interest in embedded lyrics. But, if it does it in the background, I won't even notice.
    Apart from the first run, all refreshing is done in the background on a separate thread in order to keep out of your way.

I really like the sound of that! (For multiple accounts? Or is only one automatic?)
    Feh! I didn't consider the multiple account scenario. But that should be easy to add - instead of a one-shot write, I just loop through all of the detected profiles.

I always use "(opt)" or, if I strongly recommend the optional part, "(opt rec)".
    Fair enough. I'll add support for those.

I'm concerned that using a different track title in the songbook.plugindata file will cause SongbookBB to fail to recognise a sync notification from bandmate queuing up using the trackname found in the ABC.
    Ugh. I'm sure you are probably right about this.

That concern essentially means there are two competing objectives. One is making sure that SongbookBB track names have accurate durations, so that you know how much time is left on a song in-game. But the other is making sure that every band member has a consistent name for the same track, so that SongbookBB recognizes part syncs.

Let me pull something else you said into this discussion:

Again, if you do decide to add some error-catching tools to LHH, another candidate would be one that scans for songs with duplicate part numbers (Songbook sometimes cannot play them), duplicate part titles (SongbookBB cannot tell which one is synched), duplicate %%part-name tags, mismatched song name within the part titles, etc.
    Perhaps the way to address both concerns (allowing SongbookBB to accurately display time remaining, and also allowing it to recognize bandmember part syncs) is to introduce a tool to rewrite track names. You choose to run the tool, and every ABC in your library is updated with track names that:

* use a consistent title
    * use a consistent naming scheme for instruments
    * use a consistent format for disclosing song duration (accurately - TLHH would use its computed time)

This addresses many of the errors you mentioned wanting to find. You then distribute the updated music files to band members, and you're all set. Thoughts?

Released version 2.0.4 to go after some of the low-hanging fruit from your post:

* Tracks containing "(opt" will now be recognized as optional tracks (which should cover both (opt) and (opt rec) variants). You will need to delete the songData.bin file in your My Documents\Last Homely Hobbit folder and regenerate your music metadata in order to realize the benefit of this change.
    * When the feature is turned on, TLHH will now update Songbook plugin data for all detected LotRO profiles (not just the currently selected one).
    * Added a right-click context menu to the song list. Included commands:

- Play Song [opens the selected song in your preferred ABC player]
    - Edit Song [opens the selected song in your preferred text editor]
    - View Lyrics [opens the lyrics window and displays any detected lyrics]
    - Copy Filename [copies the song filename (minus the extension) to the clipboard]
    - Copy Song Title [copies the song title to the clipboard]
    - Copy Sync Command [copies the sync command for the selected song to the clipboard]
    (example: /play "/BBB/(Aeg)Eilye" # sync -- you just need to replace # with the track number)

Question Extract to...

This looks like it could be a very useful application.

I am not a technical person, so I need a tiny bit of advice.

I use Windows 7.

I have downloaded the zip file, but I don't know where to extract the files to.

Should I create a new folder somewhere?

• Is it connected in any way to the Lord of the Rings Online folder?

• I have two Program folders (one is Programs and the other is Programs x86); should I try to create a folder for your application inside one of those folders?
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff8c00]Ready with my club, when I'm not fishing![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Vovo View Post
    This looks like it could be a very useful application.
    Hey, thanks for giving it a try.

You should make a new folder and extract the files there. I'd go with either a subfolder of Programs x86, or just a new folder right at the root (e.g., C:\TLHH). But it can be whatever makes the most sense to you organizationally.

You absolutely do not have to put it in your LotRO folder. In fact, please don't. Best to keep them separate.

TLHH will find your LotRO music on its own no matter where you put it, so no concerns there either.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hey, thanks for giving it a try.

You should make a new folder and extract the files there. I'd go with either a subfolder of Programs x86, or just a new folder right at the root (e.g., C:\TLHH). But it can be whatever makes the most sense to you organizationally.

You absolutely do not have to put it in your LotRO folder. In fact, please don't. Best to keep them separate.

TLHH will find your LotRO music on its own no matter where you put it, so no concerns there either.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Thank you for the quick response and advice.

I created a folder, then clicked on the Extract button after selecting the files to be copied into the new folder. Unfortunately, my system alerted me with:

! C:\Users\User\Downloads\LastHo melyHobbit.zip: Cannot create EPPlus.dll
    Access is denied.
    ! C:\Users\User\Downloads\LastHo melyHobbit.zip: Cannot create LastHomelyHobbit.exe
    Access is denied.
    ! C:\Users\User\Downloads\LastHo melyHobbit.zip: Cannot create ListViewLayout.dll
    Access is denied.

Does this alert message look familiar to you?

If so, is there a trick for me to use to make my system accept the request?

I never had these problems back in Windows 98

Does this alert message look familiar to you?
    It's difficult to say without seeing what's going on, but I'd start here: if you are trying to extract the files to a subfolder of Program Files x86 or Program Files and are receiving this error, try again in a different location (e.g., create a top-level folder that is *not* under either Program Files folder). Windows has some special protections in place for the Program Files folders, and it could be you are running afoul of those restrictions.

It's difficult to say without seeing what's going on, but I'd start here: if you are trying to extract the files to a subfolder of Program Files x86 or Program Files and are receiving this error, try again in a different location (e.g., create a top-level folder that is *not* under either Program Files folder). Windows has some special protections in place for the Program Files folders, and it could be you are running afoul of those restrictions.
    Thanks again. I'll keep trying.

Thanks again. I'll keep trying.
    I hope it works out for you!

Version 2.0.7 is available for download. I believe that this update offers the best possible approach for optimal interaction with SongbookBB:

* If you elect to have The Last Homely Hobbit keep your Songbook updated, TLHH will no longer add song durations - or alter in any other way - the track names that it writes to the Songbook plugindata file. This change was made so that SongbookBB is able to recognize when other band members sync a part (this feature doesn't work right if the track names in your Songbook don't match those in your bandmates' Songbooks).

* As an alternative to writing missing song durations to Songbook, The Last Homely Hobbit now includes a tool which can examine all of your LotRO music for certain issues:

- Duplicate track names
    - Duplicate track Id numbers
    - Incorrect or missing song durations

In addition to producing a report of all the issues that it finds, TLHH is able to fix incorrect/missing song durations (by far the most common type of issue) for you automatically. This offers a significant advantage to group play, for if all band members are using a music library with consistent, accurate song durations disclosed in the track names, plugins such as Bandaide and SongbookBB will be able to keep track of which song parts have been synced, and also accurately display the time remaining in each song you play. TLHH also offers you the option of making backup copies of any ABC that it modifies (it creates these backup copies in its own "My Documents\Last Homely Hobbit" folder).

* Whenever it needs to rebuild its music database after an update (and it will need to after this update), TLHH will immediately begin creating the database, instead of first waiting for you to dismiss the message box warning you that it is about to do something time-consuming.

TLHH version 2.0.10 is available. I've done some extensive refactoring to give the application a much cleaner technical architecture, and in the course of doing so made quite a lot of enhancements and fixes. I didn't write everything down, but here are some of the highlights:

* The internal database structure changed again, so TLHH will want to reindex your music after the update. Hopefully this is the last time for a while.
    * The "Keep My Songbook Plugin Data Updated" feature will now write your entire song list to Songbook, instead of whatever filtered version of it is visible in the main music list.
    * Support for updating Songbook for all LotRO profiles instead of just the currently selected one should be working (I found a problem there while refactoring the app). This is difficult for me to test (I have only one profile), so let me know if you have a problem with this.
    * TLHH is now smarter about keeping your currently selected song visible after you sort/filter the music list.
    * The "Examine ABCs for Issues" tool now examines all of the songs in your library, instead of whatever filtered version of it is visible in the main music list.
    * The "Examine ABCs for Issues" tool now sorts the issues it finds in folder/song order to make it easier to use as a working list for editing your songs.
    * Many minor UI enhancements intended to make the experience of using the application more fluid and natural.
    * Much more extensive exception handling. I think we were already past the point of random crashes, but if there are any subtle errors left, they should at least take the form of an error message rather than a crash.
    * "The One Pie" is a bit more interactive when it makes an appearance.

I think we are reaching a point where the application is fairly stable, so I don't anticipate many additional updates unless there are bug reports or feature requests that I am able to accommodate. Enjoy.

2.0.12 available.

TLHH can now update your music library directly from a zip file hosted online (or one on your local PC) via a new option on the Tools menu:

Just paste in a URL, and TLHH will download the file and unzip it into your music collection. If you already have the file, you can use the magnifying glass button to navigate to it in your local file system. The "merge songs" option is there in case you don't want to replace existing folders with any folders in the zip with the same name. Most folks tend to distribute the entire library with every update (making the default "replace" option preferred), but the option to merge instead of replace is there just in case.

Also, don't forget that TLHH will also update Songbook for you if you have that option turned on in the Settings menu:

Good morning everyone.

TLHH has been updated to 2.0.13. Two minor changes:

* TLHH will no longer generate an error if you specify tempo note length after the tempo itself (e.g., 60=1/4). Please note that even though such notation is now tolerated, it is not recommended, for ABC Player and Maestro will still report an error reading the tempo and will not be able to play the file. Thanks to Halgoreth for reporting this.

* There is a new feature in TLHH's user interface (pictured below). If you click the music note next to a track, TLHH will place the LotRO sync command for that song / track onto the clipboard. This can be useful if you have band members who do not use (or cannot use) Songbook, and you need to prompt them with the sync command to keep things moving smoothly.

TLHH 2.0.15 has been released with these changes:

* When using the ABC checker, you may now specify a tolerance level for duration errors.
    * When using the ABC checker, songs with missing / incorrect durations which are not automatically fixed now report what the duration *should be* in the feedback.
    * You can opt to run the ABC checker on your entire song list (previous behavior), or you can run it on whatever filtered down list is visible in the main window. This lets you use the full gamut of song filtering options to narrow down the song list to the ones you want to target for examination or repair.
    * I didn't like that the previously added "send sync command to clipboard" feature didn't provide you with any visual feedback. I added an animation to the musical note so that it is obvious which track you just sent to the clipboard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast