We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 ... LastLast

Re: Hidden Nuggets we see all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhidden View Post
    Way back in Beta (maybe even before that, unsure of when the change was made) Old Sally was a pony. We had so many animation issues with her that we decided it was best if she was turned into something less troublesome.

That is why Old Sally wishes she was a pony sometimes.
    Heh...and when I was looking for Sally I was looking for a Pony...and I was like...whats that gray lump on the ground? Sally? hmm...maybe as a Hobbit I see her as a Pony...and as a Chicken I see her as a Pig...(I guess I havn't gotten around to doing the Shire quest in Retail yet )
    Percival since Beta 1.0
    "You solo *in game* because you must, because you group with the ones who count the most." -phaelan2
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000003342/signature.png]Percival[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Rhidden View Post
    Way back in Beta (maybe even before that, unsure of when the change was made) Old Sally was a pony. We had so many animation issues with her that we decided it was best if she was turned into something less troublesome.

That is why Old Sally wishes she was a pony sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by House_of_Dexter View Post
    Heh...and when I was looking for Sally I was looking for a Pony...and I was like...whats that gray lump on the ground? Sally? hmm...maybe as a Hobbit I see her as a Pony...and as a Chicken I see her as a Pig...(I guess I havn't gotten around to doing the Shire quest in Retail yet )
    My memory is pretty good so I will give you what I remember.

It was way back in Beta 1. She was changed to a Pig then back to a Pony and finally into a Pig. Since Beta 2 she has been a Pig.

I never noticed any animation issues with the Pony 'Old Sally'. It must have been something that only animators noticed. When you know how something is supposed to look you see things that the average person doesnt.

It has taken me the past two days at work (we've been really slow) to read all 29 pages of this thread, and have loved most of what is in here about the Hidden Nuggets of lore (not really liking the debates that cropped up, but I digress).

Being relatively "new" to Tolkien's works, (5 years this coming November since I was first corru- I mean, introduced to it) I still have a fondness for it, and have read the books so many times. Working on Histories and Letters right now. But I was going over my Atlas of Middle Earth, and curiosity struck me, so I pored over maps of the Shire, and wow, I am impressed.

At first, I thought the Shire was too small and cluttered, but comparing the in-game map and the map in the Atlas of Middle Earth, you guys are spot on! I even learned that Oatbarton and Dwaling were part of the Northfarthing, which were introduced in Evendim (here I thought the whole time that those two cities were introduced in the game as being in Evendim, but they're actually in the Shire).

And then the fact that the way the Shire is shaped, is like taking an imaginary line straight down the side, along Needlehole and the Rushock Bog, and Michel Delving, then curving around and straight to Buckland, leaving room to fill out the rest of the Shire. And boy, I cannot wait! So much more to the Shire to visit in the game. I remember thinking there was more to the Shire, but from hearing some things floating around, I can't wait to see if/how you guys fill out the rest of the Shire map.

As far as everything else people have said, SQUEEEEEEE!!!! Rock on, Turbine, you're doing a fine job so far!
    Main: Joel
    Other toons: Ducky, Joelwalin, Belegnath, Joelius, Estelrethoniel, Joely, Minijoel
    Brandywine server

Quote Originally Posted by House_of_Dexter View Post
    and of course Halbarad and the Grey Company at Esteldin...
    Should say "Ally of Aragorn" under his name.

*cough* bump *cough*
    Main: Joel
    Other toons: Ducky, Joelwalin, Belegnath, Joelius, Estelrethoniel, Joely, Minijoel
    Brandywine server

Quote Originally Posted by Beery View Post
    Actually the stars and other celestial bodies are seriously screwed-up in the game. For some reason Orion, the Pleiades and the Great Bear move in relationship to other stars(?!!!) and the few chances I've had to examine them lead me to believe that they are in geosychronous Middle Earth orbit(???!!!). I realise that technically we are part of the cluster of stars that includes the Great Bear, but I seriously doubt that the constellation would be tied to the Earth's rotation - somehow I think that would cause the constellation to be in serious violation of physical laws, unless the objects were very close to Middle Earth (however, we know they are not). Also, the star background rotates on a plane that seems more in keeping with Eriador being within 10 degrees or so of the North Pole!

I guess being an amateur astronomer in real life has its drawbacks. If I wasn't, this stuff would go unnoticed by me, as I'm sure it does for most players.
    Are you serious? Yeah, it boggles my mind that Turbine didn't properly model the layout of the Milky Way.

LMAO!

Some of you guys need to step away from the computer from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by joeltwiggins View Post
    It has taken me the past two days at work (we've been really slow) to read all 29 pages of this thread, and have loved most of what is in here about the Hidden Nuggets of lore (not really liking the debates that cropped up, but I digress).

Being relatively "new" to Tolkien's works, (5 years this coming November since I was first corru- I mean, introduced to it) I still have a fondness for it, and have read the books so many times. Working on Histories and Letters right now. But I was going over my Atlas of Middle Earth, and curiosity struck me, so I pored over maps of the Shire, and wow, I am impressed.

At first, I thought the Shire was too small and cluttered, but comparing the in-game map and the map in the Atlas of Middle Earth, you guys are spot on! I even learned that Oatbarton and Dwaling were part of the Northfarthing, which were introduced in Evendim (here I thought the whole time that those two cities were introduced in the game as being in Evendim, but they're actually in the Shire).
    As far as the Histories go, I especially recommend vols 10-12 (give a lot of background info on cultures, languages, people, etc.) The essays about Glorfindel therein are excellent (answers the age-old question of whether the Glorfindel in LotR is the same Glorfindel that fought and slew a Balrog (and died) in Sil: the answer is officially "Yes.")

Also, take the Atlas with a grain of salt. It's good, but it's far from exact. Uses too many third-party sources. (That said, it's on our reference shelf and still sees much use.)

As far as everything else people have said, SQUEEEEEEE!!!! Rock on, Turbine, you're doing a fine job so far!
    Thank you!

As for the unmentioned animal that we talk to in Rivendell, I heard it was Roheryn. Which made me squeal like a fan girl. I'm going to have to make it to Rivendell someday *just* to talk to Roheryn.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    As for the unmentioned animal that we talk to in Rivendell, I heard it was Roheryn. Which made me squeal like a fan girl. I'm going to have to make it to Rivendell someday *just* to talk to Roheryn.
    Ding! You win an imaginary pipe! (no purchase necessary, and it can look like anything you want, since it is invisible.)

Roheryn, Aragorn's faithful steed, is the last unmentioned lore-character in chicken-play (that I recall.)

Quote Originally Posted by Berephon View Post
    (answers the age-old question of whether the Glorfindel in LotR is the same Glorfindel that fought and slew a Balrog (and died) in Sil: the answer is officially "Yes.")
    In my paper and pencil RPG (Rolemaster set in Middle-earth), I had an entire story arc devoted to this question. The low level characters found a deathless looking elven person on an altar, in a tomb - sealed in for thousands of years. They were frightened that it was a vampire, since it was certainly not rotting, and seemingly untouched. Eventually someone removed the amulet on him forcing his slumber, and he revealed himself to be Glorfindel reborn.

Certainly was a very cool moment, especially since my group did this as a LARP moment, one of the few in my campaign. It makes me happy that I chose the correct answer to this question - without reading the Histories. It was certainly a fascinating RP experience, for myself and the players, and one of my story-arcs I am most proud of. Thanks for "officially" clearing it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Inarion View Post
    Are you serious? Yeah, it boggles my mind that Turbine didn't properly model the layout of the Milky Way.

LMAO!

Some of you guys need to step away from the computer from time to time.
    I should point out here that the only reason he knows this stuff is because he DOES step away, for awesome things like amateur astronomy. He should be applauded, not criticized.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStormKing View Post
    I should point out here that the only reason he knows this stuff is because he DOES step away, for awesome things like amateur astronomy. He should be applauded, not criticized.
    Definitely.

Beery can be pedantic, but - refreshingly - he's a pedant who actually knows stuff.

Amateur astronomy FTW.
    Lindoryn 100r11 mns, Lindorien 85r7 lrm, Lindbergh 75r7 brg, Drakur 56r1 grd
    Cuspid, r6 warg

Quote Originally Posted by joeltwiggins View Post
    I agree that they did a very good job with the Shire. In my opinion, it is the best zone in-game. Obviously, they had to make changes for gameplay reasons as I don't think that many of us would enjoy a two day or so walk from Hobbiton to the Brandywine ferry (well, I probably would in real life but not in a video game =D).

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    I agree that they did a very good job with the Shire. In my opinion, it is the best zone in-game. Obviously, they had to make changes for gameplay reasons as I don't think that many of us would enjoy a two day or so walk from Hobbiton to the Brandywine ferry (well, I probably would in real life but not in a video game =D).
    Or a 20-mile walk from the Bucklebury Ferry to the Brandywine Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Berephon View Post
    Or a 20-mile walk from the Bucklebury Ferry to the Brandywine Bridge.
    Ok, the movie states it is twenty miles. And the Hobbit on the dock in Buckland in game states it is 20 miles. (A humorous nugget if you ask me, since its a VERY short 20 miles) But when reading the books again, it clearly states that the distance is 10 miles. What gives?
    I know now what Gwindeth sought of me in the watery darkness, and I am prepared to give it. Elendil was a wiser man than I -- Aragorn

I just made it into the Mathom house the other day, and both the sandcastle and snowman are inside. (They must keep the AC cranked real low to keep the snowman from melting )
    I know now what Gwindeth sought of me in the watery darkness, and I am prepared to give it. Elendil was a wiser man than I -- Aragorn

Quote Originally Posted by Arcor View Post
    Ha ha, yeah... I often get laughs from this... as in:

--> Player 1 [Trade]: "WTB Taters"
    --> Player 2 [Trade]: "What's tater's precious?"
    --> Player 3 [Trade]: "Po-ta-toes"

And more laughs from this..

--> Player 4 [Trade]: "Taters are potatoes in this game..."
    *Which clearly has no idea that Player 2 is imitating Gollum* =)

Good times.
    Quite literally, I have seen this, but in the order of Player 1,2,4. Then I'd have to jump in and beg forgiveness for the situation to Player 2 by giving the correct answer. Oh the shame. Reminds me that I can now retire to the Shire for some time. Finally reached my persona lin game goal of lvl-35 and gotsme' horse. Err, pony. I love the Shire dearly and miss it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Schildawg73 View Post
    Ok, the movie states it is twenty miles. And the Hobbit on the dock in Buckland in game states it is 20 miles. (A humorous nugget if you ask me, since its a VERY short 20 miles) But when reading the books again, it clearly states that the distance is 10 miles. What gives?
    10 miles to the bridge, then 10 miles down the other bank to get to where you would get off the ferry?
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Sergeant-at-Arms[/COLOR] [SIZE="3"]Thorain Thunderclap[/SIZE] - Level 60 Dwarf Champion
    [COLOR="Red"]Sergeants of the Guard[/COLOR] [SIZE="3"]Thordian[/SIZE]-55 Dwarf Guard |&| [SIZE="3"]Cardo[/SIZE]-50 Hobbit Burg
    Officer & Co-Founder [url=http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=165678&TabID=1403269]Khazâd Dúnedain[/url], [size="1"]Grand Master Weaponsmith, Grand Master Jeweler
    3 Low Street, Varinsot, Thorin's Gate Homesteads, Brandywine server[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Amoryn View Post
    10 miles to the bridge, then 10 miles down the other bank to get to where you would get off the ferry?
    No, the in game text states that it is 20 miles from the ferry to the bridge.

'Thank goodness you don't keep any boats on the west-bank!' said Frodo. 'Can horses cross the river?'

'They can go twenty miles north to Brandywine Bridge--or they might swim,' answered Merry. 'Though I never heard of any horse swimming the Brandywine...'

3rd page of BkI ChV, or p. 143 in my tattered paperback Ballantine edition of FotR (which I have on my shelf here at work, lol).
    Cuspid, r6 warg

Quote Originally Posted by andulinde View Post
    'Thank goodness you don't keep any boats on the west-bank!' said Frodo. 'Can horses cross the river?'

'They can go twenty miles north to Brandywine Bridge--or they might swim,' answered Merry. 'Though I never heard of any horse swimming the Brandywine...'

3rd page of BkI ChV, or p. 143 in my tattered paperback Ballantine edition of FotR (which I have on my shelf here at work, lol).
    I just looked up Buckland on Wikipedia and here is what it has to say about the ferry:

An important landmark is the Bucklebury Ferry, a raft-ferry used as the second main crossing point of the Brandywine River from the Shire to Buckland, after the Brandywine Bridge (which is said to be twenty miles further north; the number is believed to have been a mistake by Tolkien, and newer editions of The Lord of the Rings correct it to ten miles).
    I remember distinctly reading ten miles, and thinking to myself, "Hmm, I thought it was twenty miles." I guess that's what I get for replacing my old worn out copies with new ones, lol.

. . . the number is believed to have been a mistake by Tolkien, and newer editions of The Lord of the Rings correct it to ten miles.

Those historical revisionists are at it again. A plague o' them.
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/silverlocket/]Silverlocket's Big Ol' Bucket O' Blather[/url]

I have 1994 Houghton Mifflin one-book edition of the trilogy, and it says that it is 20 miles in here (though, funny enough, even though this edition is 1994, it has a movie cover xD).

If anyone has a more recent edition than that, care to look up that scene and see if it is 10 or 20 miles? (It's on the first couple of pages of chapter four in the first book).

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    I have 1994 Houghton Mifflin one-book edition of the trilogy, and it says that it is 20 miles in here (though, funny enough, even though this edition is 1994, it has a movie cover xD).

If anyone has a more recent edition than that, care to look up that scene and see if it is 10 or 20 miles? (It's on the first couple of pages of chapter four in the first book).
    I have the Houghton Mifflin 2005 edition and it says 10 miles.

I remember distinctly reading ten miles, and thinking to myself, "Hmm, I thought it was twenty miles." I guess that's what I get for replacing my old worn out copies with new ones, lol.
    Ah, that explains it. Yeah, my copy is from the late 80s. I'd check the copyright, but the cover and front pages have fallen off, up to the 2nd page of maps.
    Cuspid, r6 warg

Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 ... LastLast