We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20 60 66 67 68 69 70
Results 1,726 to 1,741 of 1741
  1. #1726
    Quote Originally Posted by Daeross View Post
    Corsairs use Adûnaic, the language of Númenor; you don't mean that, do you?
    Could you toss a couple of examples of the Southron's tongue?
    Nah, the Corsairs are essentially the descendants of Numenorean colonists as we as the descendants and followers of Castamir, I'm talking about the indigenous population of Harad. Tolkien gives us one word in their tongue: Mumakil. But there are several named Haradrim wb's/rt's throughout Gondor, such as Adîrjan, Luruyak, Vilosh, Keterang, Hokhir, Hamarsun, Darik, etc that are certainly not Adûnaic (as far as I can tell). Compiling this list, my first instinct is to say some kind of Indo-Iranian? But I'm not very well studied in that branch of the language tree.

  2. #1727
    I would assume the various Mumakil we see would also be of the Haradrim tongue, such as Arpong-Dokh, Set-Akaji, Ku-Nerpag, Thangol-ya, and Kethat-sai.

  3. #1728
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Memory of Laurelin
    Posts
    1,283
    Ah, I see what you mean; happened to be MIA in the game for a while, and didn't remember them...did notice them while doing Western/Central Gondor, though, and listed 'em.

    You're right, though. Even though the self-titled 'Heirs of Castamir' as well as the Roving Threat Abrakhór all have Adûnaic names, the 'common' Corsairs and Haradrim don't.
    One problem we're likely encountering is that in LotRO, we're dealing with inspired-by words (like with Dunlendish = Welsh) that are also quite likely transliterated. Good luck trying to hunt the words.

    However...
    With the list I made, I noticed that in Western Gondor, there's a Corsair-camp by the name of Makham Mijann. In itself, nothing worth to notice, maybe. But then I remembered Nanduhirion, and the camp right outside the East Gate: Mekhem-bizru (within Moria, we have Anazârmekhem). Here, again, we have Turbine connecting a Mannish tongue with Khuzdul.
    That is another connection to Middle Eastern/Central Asian languages. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found one that would work well.

  4. #1729
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    4 Chalk Road, Nettlevale
    Posts
    1,881

    Smile

    I believe those "Easterling" names were compiled and stylized from Uzbek as Berephon suggested, quite carelessly though, I should say, as many of them are ultimately of Arabic or Persian origin. Been some time since I played anything but the Bingo story in earnest so I can't pick examples off the top of my head but I'll go and pick a few the next time I'm online

    In addition, the place names in the Paths of the Dead were identified as Breton.

    Berber tongues seem feasible as a basis for that of the Haradrim but that's pure speculation
    Landroval: Kibilturg, Taurunion, Erohtar... (Watchers of Elendil)
    Crickhollow: Kibilturg (Tarciryan Knights), Zigilturg (Forever Notorious), Birnavor (The Northern Kingdom), Nuncle (Casual Wanderers)
    Visiting elsewhere as Kibilturg, Urwendil... Born and raised on Imladris

  5. #1730
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Memory of Laurelin
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post
    In addition, the place names in the Paths of the Dead were identified as Breton.
    Yup.
    Lenn Dûskud, Kêr Izel and Kêr Bras = lenn (lake), dûskud theoreticized to be an amalgam of du (black) and sceud (shadow), kêr (city, town, fort), izel (low), bras (big, tall)

    (I just keep reading kêr as kar, kâr: they, too, can be found multiple times in Moria.)

  6. #1731
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunspot6 View Post
    I dont know if this was mentioned in this thread and if it is an easter egg or just a curious thing: Anybody knows what is written in the note in the wall in the guest house in Rivendell?
    I cannot make out all of it (the one on the wall to the left of the entry door) but it starts out:

    <Alfred?>

    I will work on a sailing ship and see the world just as my grandfather did.

    Becoming a <?> will help me reach this goal.

    Uncle <Alan?> can help me become a <?>

    Benjamin B<?>

    I thought at first he wanted to be a sailor, but the word looks to be 5 letters with an F in the middle.
    Signatures are overrated.

  7. #1732
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    British Empire
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Suza View Post
    I cannot make out all of it (the one on the wall to the left of the entry door) but it starts out:

    <Alfred?>

    I will work on a sailing ship and see the world just as my grandfather did.

    Becoming a <?> will help me reach this goal.

    Uncle <Alan?> can help me become a <?>

    Benjamin B<?>

    I thought at first he wanted to be a sailor, but the word looks to be 5 letters with an F in the middle.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20081011...tory/ben.shtml

  8. #1733
    WAT? The sand-castle mentioned by Imrahil exist for real!

  9. #1734
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Turin347 View Post
    WAT? The sand-castle mentioned by Imrahil exist for real!
    I just found this today interesting you find stuff from the book even tho it was mentioned briefly "Then you would have us retreat to Minas Tirith, Dol Amroth or to Dunharrow, and there sit like children on sand-castles when the tide is flowing?" Said Imrahil. - The Return of the King, Chapter IX, The Last Debate.
    Pontin Level 115 Hobbit Burglar Kinship Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.


    Here's some of my Screenshots Throughout Middle Earth. and Travelling Event! also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

  10. #1735

    New Easter Egg i havent seen before :)

    Questing in Western Rohan for the first time in ages, heading out from Beaconwatch to collapse some cave entrances, and i stumble upon this strange house with a gnome outside and 3 different sized bears....





    Inside is a familiar scene



    Eadreid Champion 105 || Eadrun Loremaster 105 || Gillorin Guardian 105

  11. #1736


    Eadreid Champion 105 || Eadrun Loremaster 105 || Gillorin Guardian 105

  12. #1737
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    4,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Eadreid View Post
    Questing in Western Rohan for the first time in ages, heading out from Beaconwatch to collapse some cave entrances, and i stumble upon this strange house with a gnome outside and 3 different sized bears...

    Inside is a familiar scene ...
    That scene is being around since West Rohan got released. It also is lore friendly even if the date is out of place. Goldylocks is 1 of the daugthers of Samwise Gamgee & he lived with his family, for a while at Rohan.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Jul 07 2017 at 03:49 PM.

    ~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

  13. #1738
    Having read through a fair chunk of the History of Middle Earth, I am blown away by how many characters that did NOT make it into the books are in the game. HME is Chris Tolkien's epic 12-volume description of how his father wrote LOTR. With all the first drafts, third drafts, every excised paragraph JRR ever jotted onto a napkin... But it is obvious the devs read them, as there are so many single characters, mentioned once in a crossed out section that was discarded decades before the books were published, that are in the game. Amazing...

  14. #1739
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth, Arda
    Posts
    4,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Scunthorpe View Post
    Having read through a fair chunk of the History of Middle Earth, I am blown away by how many characters that did NOT make it into the books are in the game. HME is Chris Tolkien's epic 12-volume description of how his father wrote LOTR. With all the first drafts, third drafts, every excised paragraph JRR ever jotted onto a napkin... But it is obvious the devs read them, as there are so many single characters, mentioned once in a crossed out section that was discarded decades before the books were published, that are in the game. Amazing...
    What HME stand for?

    ~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

  15. #1740
    Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    What HME stand for?
    Short for "History of Middle Earth".

  16. #1741
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Memory of Laurelin
    Posts
    1,283
    Visiting Draigoch's Lair over the course of the Anniversary Scavenger Hunt event I remembered how the urns that are part of the decor there bothered me with their familiarity. Not having time, then, to ponder, I promptly forgot it again.

    Until the other day I picked up my copy of The Hobbit to read to the younglings.


 

 
Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20 60 66 67 68 69 70

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload