We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hidden Nuggets we see all the time...

I was just wandering what little, hidden nuggets from the books and lore players have found within the game, like something an NPC says, or a shingle hanging on an unused building. Perhaps someone has spotted something done in the tunnels or mines that caught their eye. Post them here so we can all enjoy them.

As an example, I'll start with a very obvious one that we all see every time we login, but I'll bet, many never caught the tie-in to the books. A few weeks ago, while deep in thought and kinda staring at the screen (scary huh), I read the following words and something clicked. I thought to myself, "Why does that look so familiar?", and then it hit me...

Directly below the login in the Launcher is the message center, where we always see the following :

Click, friend, and enter.

Jul 03, 2007 15:15 EST
    Welcome to The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar!

Don't forget to visit the LOTRO forums for the latest news, information, and to chat with other players. For support questions, check out the LOTRO Knowledge Base, including video tutorials! Customer Service is also available in-game and by phone, chat, and email. See you in the game!

Notice that heading? - Click, friend, and Enter. Simple, but actually taken from a very important part in the Fellowship's Journey - the Elven moon-runes over the door to The Mines of Moria. The phrase was at first misinterpretted by Gandalf, but he eventually hit upon his mistake and they gained access just in the nick of time (the movie erroneously has Frodo catching Gandalf's mistake)... the phrase to open the door was 'say, friend, and enter'.

So has anyone else spotted little golden nuggets like this elsewhere?
    Last edited by Adder; Jul 27 2007 at 09:30 AM.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][B][SIZE=4][I][COLOR=orange]Adder[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=orange][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=80048"][COLOR=orange][FONT=Book Antiqua][B]Hidden Nuggets we see all the time...[/B] [/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=lemonchiffon]- Hall of Fame Forum[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Adder%E2%80%99s_/Mood_y_Emote_Compendium"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=orange][B]Adder’s /Mood_y /Emotes Compendium[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Book Antiqua] [COLOR=lemonchiffon]- [/COLOR][COLOR=lemonchiffon]LoreBook[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=161639"][FONT=Book Antiqua][B][COLOR=orange]Announcing LOTRO Total Housing Redesign![/COLOR][/B] [/FONT][/URL][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=lemonchiffon]-[/COLOR] [COLOR=lemonchiffon]Suggestions Forum[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

Re: Hidden Nuggets we see all the time...

I've experienced none myself, however I have heard of some Evendim quests referring directly to Tolkien. This would include a quest where you must find a little toy dog on the beach. I don't remember exactly how it went, but Tolkien (or family) lost a little toy dog in the sand also.

Appreciated if someone could fix what I said, and make it correct. I don't know the exact information, but do know something similar exists .
    [CENTER][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=green][COLOR=green][B][COLOR=royalblue]- Windfola - [COLOR=deepskyblue]House of Blackrock[/COLOR] - Founder -[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=paleturquoise][B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1][COLOR=lightblue][[/COLOR][COLOR=lightblue]Nazarith - Level 47 Human Hunter] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=lightblue][B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1][COLOR="Silver"][Rank Two Esquire][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000020694/01003/signature.png]Nazarith[/charsig][/CENTER]

I never considered the Click etc to be hidden, it's just obvious marketing. They know their target demographic.
    Founder/Lifetime Subscriber

Gladden - home of Willicar, the Angry Hobbit

Talking Re: Hidden Nuggets we see all the time...

The other day I was running past Bag End and fell off the side of a small "cliff" and into a little pond. I wondered why I had never seen that pond before, and then realized it was the "watering hole" that Sam had talked about himself swimming in with Rose Cotton and her brothers. It was really cute how they added it in. Very obscure, but it was still there.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120b0000000031a0/01005/signature.png]Willicar[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Shianjin View Post
    I've experienced none myself, however I have heard of some Evendim quests referring directly to Tolkien. This would include a quest where you must find a little toy dog on the beach. I don't remember exactly how it went, but Tolkien (or family) lost a little toy dog in the sand also.

Appreciated if someone could fix what I said, and make it correct. I don't know the exact information, but do know something similar exists .
    I've seen a few posts about this but don't remember the particulars.

Quote Originally Posted by forlorn_hope View Post
    I never considered the Click etc to be hidden, it's just obvious marketing. They know their target demographic.
    I didn't really mean that that particular nugget was hidden, it is obviously right there in front of us at each login, yet how many actually caught it or know where it comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysoprase View Post
    The other day I was running past Bag End and fell off the side of a small "cliff" and into a little pond. I wondered why I had never seen that pond before, and then realized it was the "watering hole" that Sam had talked about himself swimming in with Rose Cotton and her brothers. It was really cute how they added it in. Very obscure, but it was still there.
    THAT's what I'm talking about! Thanks Chrysoprase.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][B][SIZE=4][I][COLOR=orange]Adder[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=orange][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=80048"][COLOR=orange][FONT=Book Antiqua][B]Hidden Nuggets we see all the time...[/B] [/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=lemonchiffon]- Hall of Fame Forum[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Adder%E2%80%99s_/Mood_y_Emote_Compendium"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=orange][B]Adder’s /Mood_y /Emotes Compendium[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Book Antiqua] [COLOR=lemonchiffon]- [/COLOR][COLOR=lemonchiffon]LoreBook[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=161639"][FONT=Book Antiqua][B][COLOR=orange]Announcing LOTRO Total Housing Redesign![/COLOR][/B] [/FONT][/URL][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=lemonchiffon]-[/COLOR] [COLOR=lemonchiffon]Suggestions Forum[/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

Adder I'd be more suprised that people don't know where it comes from. I mean it was even in the movie! Or was it? hmm...

/me watches Fellowship again just to make sure.
    Mad Bombar - Dwarf Minstrel on Elindilmir

There are some characters that show up in the Lone Lands in your 30's, won't mention which one just REALLY made me gush, but when I saw the character I knew immediately who it was and was giddy ( was in closed beta ). It's a pretty obscure character that if you've just read the Hobbit and the Trilogy you may not know who it is or how awesome it was to see them.

There's also three large trolls that are turned to stone around a campfire in the Trollshaws. It's kind of expected I suppose, but it's kinda out of the way from the quest routes and I loved finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shianjin View Post

Roverandom

Tolkien originally created the tale of ROVERANDOM in 1925 to soothe his son, Michael, after the child lost his toy dog while on vacation. It is the story is of a real dog, Rover, who is turned into a toy by a wizard.

I know its probably been mentioned before, but I think my favorite moment was today when my Halberd of the Goblin Wars started glowing blue near orcs. I suppose I should have guessed it and seen it coming, but I didn't, and I about jumped out of my seat in glee when I realized it was glowing a soft blue. I'll never get rid of this weapon, even after I've out leveled it. I'll just store it for good memories.

The toy dog is a character in a book Tolkien wrote titled "Roverrandom" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alendrar View Post
    The toy dog is a character in a book Tolkien wrote titled "Roverrandom" or something like that.
    Actually, the toy dog references the actual event that Roverandom was inspired by. One of his sons lost his favorite toy dog on an outing, and Roverandom was born as the adventures of said toy dog after it was lost.

Not sure if this is ture or not, but I read in a magazine (PC Gamers review of LOTRO, I think) a few months ago that the stars alignment in game is the same as if Tolkien himself were looking at the night sky during the time he was writing LOTR.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000000a3d/01003/signature.png]Cuthgar[/charsig]
    Commander of the, [URL="http://www.alphacompanyonline.org/LOTRO/Index.html/"]Riders of the Riddermark[/URL] (Landroval Server)
    "I serve only the Lord of the Mark, Theoden King, son of Thengel."

The one I saw most recently that gave me a chuckle was Gloin making a mention that he feared his company of dwarves was overstaying their welcome in Imladris, "much like he did at a certain hobbit's home some time ago."
    Manni: Dwarf Guardian
    Manriel: Elf Loremaster
    Manny: Man Champion
    Gladden

Quote Originally Posted by Bertkelley7 View Post
    Not sure if this is ture or not, but I read in a magazine (PC Gamers review of LOTRO, I think) a few months ago that the stars alignment in game is the same as if Tolkien himself were looking at the night sky during the time he was writing LOTR.

The constellations that Tolkien mentions in LotR do appear in-game and in the alignment he describes. Our skies-guru was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Berephon View Post
    The constellations that Tolkien mentions in LotR do appear in-game and in the alignment he describes. Our skies-guru was awesome!
    Wow, that really is awesome ! Great work
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000000031a0/01001/signature.png]Eleazar[/charsig]

[url=http://my.lotro.com/character/elendilmir/eleazar/]Eleazar of the Lonely Mountain[/url]

Well, not sure that this is "Hidden" exactly, but a hunter kin mate of mine got a pair of medium armour agility+ gloves that were, "Worn by Bard the Bowman as he let loose the arrow that killed Smaug." I thought that was pretty damn cool.
    [color=royalblue][b]Taliko[/b] ~ 50 Human Guardian[/color]
    [I][color=darkred]GM Metalsmith[/color][color=royalblue] ~ [/color][color=darkgreen]GM Prospector[/color][color=royalblue] ~[/color][color=purple] GM Tailor[/color][/I]
    [color=silver]Silverlode[/color]

WAS? Okay, I have played this game since the beggining of the closed-beta about an age ago. One of the amazing things about this game is the sky and weather, is he no longer coding for you guys at Turbine?? That would be a crime!

I notice all of that stuff, the puffs of dust as the wind blows in Enedwaith, how the sky transitions as you ride up to Dol Guldur and in Angmar, visibility changes in the snow. I know that requires some server horsepower, but that's what makes the game even more real-feeling!

Is he gone?
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r11 (active) Mini

I can vouch for this. I was so exited when I was running Trouble in Tuckborough skirmish and saw the Sickle of the Valar in the northern sky.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000006a50b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Hundvir - Lvl 75 RK | Periadoc - Lvl 41 Burglar | Estelriel - Lvl 75 Warden
    Proud member of Daro A Maetho, Elven RP Kinship, Crickhollow

Quote Originally Posted by Bertkelley7 View Post
    Considering how slow the stars move in the night sky there would really have been no change. In fact there would have been hardly any noticeable, to the naked eye, change since the first human being to walk the Earth looked at the night sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathalion View Post
    Considering how slow the stars move in the night sky there would really have been no change. In fact there would have been hardly any noticeable, to the naked eye, change since the first human being to walk the Earth looked at the night sky.
    The comment referred to Tolkien's locale, not some astronomical aberration. Remember, the folks who did the sky are in America, not England. Also, the placement of the constellations in-game is based on comments in the books and extent sources, so there may even be a little variation between what's in-game and the actual sky.

The comment referred to Tolkien's locale, not some astronomical aberration. Remember, the folks who did the sky are in America, not England. Also, the placement of the constellations in-game is based on comments in the books and extent sources, so there may even be a little variation between what's in-game and the actual sky.
    There isnt much differnce between sky in england and in americe btw (also if turbine would be in south amerika, australia, or africa, then they would see a lot differnet sky than from England)

I think the sky is based on books and not the real sky.

During the intro that's shared by Dwarves and Elves, one can see this above (what will be) the entrance to the Thorin's Hall Homesteads:

On it, is written in Angerthas Moria:

Which transliterates as, more or less:
    Halls ov Thorin Ôkenshêld

Phonetically written, like the runes upon Balin's Tomb.
    It looks weird to my eyes, though, not to even mention that the runes used should've been Angerthas Erebor, imo, since that's whence Thorin hailed from, and what was used in Ered Luin... Granted, he is part of Durin's Folk, the Longbeards, and thus, ultimately, from Khazâd-dûm.
    Last edited by Daeross; Nov 29 2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: tags

Quote Originally Posted by Adder View Post
    So has anyone else spotted little golden nuggets like this elsewhere?
    I found some golden nuggets the other day. They were delicious with BBQ sauce.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000002928/01007/signature.png]Orindor[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Desiat0 View Post
    I found some golden nuggets the other day. They were delicious with BBQ sauce.
    LMAO

This is the kind of stuff that makes my day
    [b][size=3][font=Georgia][color=#00FF33]IRISH-ROHIRRIM AIRLINES: FORTH, AER LINGUS!
    [/color][/font][/size][/b][font=arial][color=#ffffff]Macbeth - Level 75 Captain / Jinjur - Level 56 Warden / Sigismund - Level 64 Loremaster / [color=red][/color][/color][/font] [color=#33CCFF]- Arkenstone[/color]

I saw a stone pillar floating 300ft in the air above a few pines in the middle of Ered Luin, forgot the town, its popular and dwarves run it, it seems.

Just for kicks i was waiting on a friend, and looking at the landscape and decided to stare at the sun to see if it would blind my character, low and behold a stone pillar floating atop the trees by 2-300ft! I was like *Bug*!

I /bugged it but never returned to see if it had gotten fixed. Anyway, is that part of the lore?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast