We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

All you need to know about the New Legendary System | Full Guide

Hey all.

Here is a full in-depth covering of the new Legendary system, how it works, how each item works, how to upgrade them, level them and what unlocks when. What each type of slot offers, as well as screenshots.
    It should help a lot of people who were not on Bullroarer testing, or have not seen information thus far.

Blood of Loki
    Watch me Solo Instances/Raids
    Youtube.com/bloodofloki - Twitch.tv/blood_of_loki

Very helpful, lays everything out quite well and doesn't waste your time.
    ~ Take the player, not the class ~

Thank you! That was super informative. So, are my guilded crafters still going to be able to make LIs? I know it sounds like they won't NEED to, but kinda the only reason I guilded them was to make LIs. LOL

Thanks

Limited traceries at lower levels is disappointing when used to far more legacies now.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_tessa View Post
    Thank you! That was super informative. So, are my guilded crafters still going to be able to make LIs? I know it sounds like they won't NEED to, but kinda the only reason I guilded them was to make LIs. LOL
    So far from what was shown on bullroarer, crafting will have nothing to do with the new legendary weapons/items. unless they make a weekly recipe to obtain some barter currency or something. time will tell on that front. as for making LI's no, that wont exist anymore
    Blood of Loki
    Watch me Solo Instances/Raids
    Youtube.com/bloodofloki - Twitch.tv/blood_of_loki

Quote Originally Posted by Eowene View Post
    Hey all.

Here is a full in-depth covering of the new Legendary system, how it works, how each item works, how to upgrade them, level them and what unlocks when. What each type of slot offers, as well as screenshots.
    It should help a lot of people who were not on Bullroarer testing, or have not seen information thus far.

Nice guide, but I do have a bone to pick with respect to terminology.

They're all "traceries". Words of Craft, Words of Power, Heraldric, class-specific; they're all traceries. You present "traceries" as if they are separate from the others, but they're all just subcategories of the same general category. They may have different sources -- we're told, for instance, that Words of Craft will be available from crafting (quelle surprise) -- but they're all shown in the same UI, applied the same way, to the same items.

Why is this terminological distinction important? Because folks keep saying the new system is more complicated. It's not. At a low level of specificity (or, if you will, a high level of aggregation), we go from about 5 different *types* of enhancement mats (titles, relics, scrolls, crystals, legacies) to 2 *types* of enhancement mats (traceries and enhancement runes).

In the comparitive-complexity analysis, it's not fair to consider traceries 4 different types of enhancement mats, or if one does, one should apply the same level of specificity to the old system, where we have multiple types of relics (settings, runes, gems, crafted), multiple types of titles (e.g. those which change damage type, versus those which don't), multiple types of scrolls (delving, empowerment), multiple types of crystals (star-lit, remembrance), and different types of legacies (stat ones, versus class-specific ones). At that level of specificity, it's still clear that the new system is simpler than the old one, from the standpoint of enhancement mats that need to be managed (and not even considering the streamlining of the LI lifecycle processes). About a dozen different types to only 5 (the 4 that are directly slottable, which I would call "traceries", plus enhancement runes). To compare apples to oranges, the same level of specificity should be used for the old and new systems, and I don't think muddying the terminology, by reserving the term "tracery" for only the class-specific ones, helps the cause.

So, TL;DR, they're all traceries, of different (sub)types. It shouldn't be just the class-specific ones that deserve to be called traceries.

The revamp looks interesting, but I think (and this is just my perspective) that the way the video was laid out made things more complicated then they probably will be. The author did a great job, dont get me wrong, I know I appreciate what they did to put this together for all of us.
    This is also something new we will have to wrap our heads around, which shouldnt be that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by shakytremors View Post
    The revamp looks interesting, but I think (and this is just my perspective) that the way the video was laid out made things more complicated then they probably will be. The author did a great job, dont get me wrong, I know I appreciate what they did to put this together for all of us.
    This is also something new we will have to wrap our heads around, which shouldnt be that hard.
    Right? It looks like we'll have more options and some might have to make tough decisions especially on the low end. I don't think the vid was confusing, I think it laid out the options pretty clearly. Its just that seeing all those options laid out makes one realize how many options there really are.

Do we know what kind of items we will be able to convert? Is it just the LI itself, or also the scrolls, xp stones, ...?

Just to know what I should focus on. I have been disassembling leveled LI's to stock up on items before the update hits the live servers, but not sure if it is worth the shards and gold at this point.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Eowene View Post
    Hey all.

Thank you! I have learned a lot, and I am quite confident this will be a nice way for folks that just start in the game to progress once they hit the "LI levels"

Quote Originally Posted by Khyle View Post
    Do we know what kind of items we will be able to convert? Is it just the LI itself, or also the scrolls, xp stones, ...?

Just to know what I should focus on. I have been disassembling leveled LI's to stock up on items before the update hits the live servers, but not sure if it is worth the shards and gold at this point.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Nobody knows (including SSG, if you believe them).
    Dagoreth (Warden) and Belechannas (Lore-master) of Arkenstone

< No Dorfs >
    Fighting the Dorf menace to Middle Earth since 2008

What I would like to know and have not seen any info on is what happens when you out level the tracery maximum level.
    There seems to be no info or examples of LI weapon progression for the new LI.

The old LI system allowed the LI to grow as you did, as you and you LI leveled, you could just add more SOE's and crystals to bring it back to its full potential. There was no maximum level where you were forced to replaced relics, they continued to work, but there were just some better relics to be had that you could upgrade with, but not required to.

Lets say I have a new LI with all gold traceries that have a max level of 130.

I level to 131. What happens to my LI? Do all the traceries stop working? Am I forced to replace the traceries with yellow or purple ones just to limp by?
    Did my LI just go from best in game to near useless?
    Do I have to wait months before there is a new raid that will drop the teal or gold traceries or the items necessary to create them?
    Will I have to run these new raids at impossible tiers?

Quote Originally Posted by W_T_D View Post
    What I would like to know and have not seen any info on is what happens when you out level the tracery maximum level.
    There seems to be no info or examples of LI weapon progression for the new LI.

The old LI system allowed the LI to grow as you did, as you and you LI leveled, you could just add more SOE's and crystals to bring it back to its full potential. There was no maximum level where you were forced to replaced relics, they continued to work, but there were just some better relics to be had that you could upgrade with, but not required to.

Lets say I have a new LI with all gold traceries that have a max level of 130.

I level to 131. What happens to my LI? Do all the traceries stop working? Am I forced to replace the traceries with yellow or purple ones just to limp by?
    Did my LI just go from best in game to near useless?
    Do I have to wait months before there is a new raid that will drop the teal or gold traceries or the items necessary to create them?
    Will I have to run these new raids at impossible tiers?
    The Tracery Level Range is Level 121 to 140 for what will be the New Level Cap Range of LOTRO. Any Traceries that are gotten Pre-Update 31: Fate of Gundabad Expansion will be useful but there will likely be options that are "more useful" in some cases once Update 30 drops and Characters reach Level 140.

Current LIs are both Useful and Useless. Useful due to being stronger if fully done or close to it while getting the New LIs built up but Useless as U30.3 will make it almost impossible to improve the Current LIs.

There won't be a raid with Gundabad at launch for Level 131+ Content. There will be ways to get Traceries that are still good but a future Raid will have better options for the Level 120 to 140 Traceries.

Traceries have 4 Levels, its akin to how gearing up is. Landscape + Crafted -> Entry Instances -> Entry Raid -> Higher Level Raid.
    Last edited by Harvain; Sep 28 2021 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvain View Post
    The Tracery Level Range is Level 121 to 140 for what will be the New Level Cap Range of LOTRO. Any Traceries that are gotten Pre-Update 31: Fate of Gundabad Expansion will be useful but there will likely be options that are "more useful" in some cases once Update 30 drops and Characters reach Level 140.

Current LIs are both Useful and Useless. Useful due to being stronger if fully done or close to it while getting the New LIs built up but Useless as U30.3 will make it almost impossible to improve the Current LIs.
    From Cord's September 17th stream:
    My expectation and presumption would be that when doing a Conversion the Team will try to reach relative parity when possible so if you have a bleeding edge maxed out current LI hopefully you'll find a similar statistical benefit and place of Power on the New LI but then of course you won't be maxed out on that New LI because the New LI will max out significantly higher than your old LI
    "Relative parity". So there is no "while getting ... built up" that will take significant time, until relative parity is achieved; the mats you get from "freezing" your old LI will immediately be able to bring up your new LI to more-or-less the same strength/power/awesomeness, and still have room to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvain View Post
    The Tracery Level Range is Level 121 to 140 for what will be the New Level Cap Range of LOTRO. .

So this is still something that I find confusing. I view the video 'all you need to know about the new legendary system'. It shows tracery levels of 86-130 and 131-150. But you state the range is 121-140?

When then new LI system goes live we will still be caped at level 130, when the new expansion comes out the cap will increase to 140.

So for around a month we will be grinding a new LI with a tracery cap of 130? This LI will need to have all traceries replaced when the the new expansion comes out and we level to 131?

I know there has been nothing about converting the old LI's, but unless it will provide traceries above 130 and tracery equivalents for the high tier relics slotted already conversion seems almost pointless. And if they conversion is not available on day 1 of the new LI, what is the point of grinding a new LI until the new content and level cap is released? I don't want to start from scratch on the new LI release date, only to start again on the new content release date a month later.

So this is still something that I find confusing. I view the video 'all you need to know about the new legendary system'. It shows tracery levels of 86-130 and 131-150. But you state the range is 121-140?

When then new LI system goes live we will still be caped at level 130, when the new expansion comes out the cap will increase to 140.

So for around a month we will be grinding a new LI with a tracery cap of 130? This LI will need to have all traceries replaced when the the new expansion comes out and we level to 131?

I know there has been nothing about converting the old LI's, but unless it will provide traceries above 130 and tracery equivalents for the high tier relics slotted already conversion seems almost pointless. And if they conversion is not available on day 1 of the new LI, what is the point of grinding a new LI until the new content and level cap is released? I don't want to start from scratch on the new LI release date, only to start again on the new content release date a month later.
    You get a new range every 10 levels which is good for 20 as I understand it.

The video is out of date from BR Build 3 Friday morning where all of the ranges were filled in with overlaps. There is a 121-140 and a 131-150 plus all the inbetween 50-150. Also, the Ancient Script prices went up 50% and some traceries changed. I expect more changes by release in mid October. This video gives a good idea of the basis of the new scheme but the details change quickly.

The previews didn't show all of the tracery level bands that will be available. Also, Cord has said that the conversion process from old LIs will produce mats sufficient to bring a new LI up to "parity" or "near parity" with the old LI that was converted (see the September 17th transcript and search for the word "parity"). So, presumably it will take into account relics, titles, legacies, etc. otherwise how else can one achieve "parity" or close to it?

Understand, though, that in a way we're comparing apples to oranges here. A maxed new LI will be much more powerful than a maxed old LI. So the comparison shouldn't be "max-to-max", it should be more nuanced, taking into account stats, skill enhancements, single-target/AoE/bleed focus, etc. There's a lot that figures into how "powerful" or "useful" or "effective" an LI is, and some of it is situational. In fundamental terms, say, "how quickly can I kill stuff?", there should be rough parity, and the new LI will still have room to grow. The old LI will not.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    You get a new range every 10 levels which is good for 20 as I understand it.

So if I had a gold tracery at level 50 it could be leveled to current level without having to be replaced? Why show a max level?
    Confused as ever....

If I had a character near a max tracery level, i could try bullroarer and see what happens when I level, but all my characters are 130 so cant try anything until beta goes to level 140.

In the past when an item you have hits max level you are screwed.

When Mordor came out all my armor became useless at i think level 105 and I was naked.

It seems all the gear and jewelry I'm currently using looses the set bonuses at level 135. My character builds are based on the set bonuses, when these are lost at level 135 I will be tremendously weaker then when at 134. I am concerned that with max levels stated on the new LI traceries that the same thing will happen when then max level is reached. The amount of effort required to get upgraded remnmo armor, SK earrings, Bloody threshold T3 jewelry, is incredible. Just to have it all wiped out when you get to level 135 is crushing.

Its just that you work so hard to get to where you are to have it all striped from you when you hit a certain level. Items should not instantly cease to work at some max level. Then should just slowly fade away by being less useful because there are better items to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by JERH View Post
    The video is out of date from BR Build 3 Friday morning where all of the ranges were filled in with overlaps. There is a 121-140 and a 131-150 plus all the inbetween 50-150. Also, the Ancient Script prices went up 50% and some traceries changed. I expect more changes by release in mid October. This video gives a good idea of the basis of the new scheme but the details change quickly.
    So it seems you should wait until you can get the 131-150 traceries? And probably much more importantly you should wait to turn in your old LI and sell whatever they allow you to sell of the old materials until then.

I could see their goal being to get everyone to sell/convert on October 13 then have to start all over in November with nothing to turn in for help.

So if I had a gold tracery at level 50 it could be leveled to current level without having to be replaced? Why show a max level?
    Confused as ever....
    No, "get a new range every 10 levels" means a different level band. But each band still has a maximum level. In the previews, for instance, they showed a band from 50 through 95. That's pretty wide. Obviously, min-maxers will always want the best, so they'll be replacing their traceries often. But us filthy casuals can keep old traceries for up to 45 levels , or, to put it another way, more than a third of the current level cap. I don't see that as particularly onerous.

Another way to look at it is: in the current system, once you get up to level 95, you typically start the process of farming legacies, so that you can set the ones on your LIs to exactly what they need to be at the time of imbuement (since it's expensive to change those legacies after imbuement). So, we could say that, in the new system, if you're still carrying those initial traceries that you got at level 50, and you're approaching the end of the level band, a tracery-farming grind replaces what used to be a legacy-farming grind, at approximately the same point in your character's advancement. Once you get those traceries, however, if you're casual, you might keep them to level cap (assuming the band extends that far). As opposed to the current system, where, after imbuement, you have an additional SoE and crystal grind to endure. (Admittedly, if one is casual, one might not feel the need to max one's imbued LI. But some amount of legacy advancement is probably necessary to keep up with on-level content).

The details of how traceries and enhancement runes and the barter currency for them (ancient script, etc.) are acquired, still haven't been fleshed out, so a comprehensive grind-versus-grind comparison isn't yet possible. But, with tracery bands upwards of 40 levels, I think they're providing a lot of flexibility, especially for casuals.
    If I had a character near a max tracery level, i could try bullroarer and see what happens when I level, but all my characters are 130 so cant try anything until beta goes to level 140.
    Bullroarer isn't just for transferred characters. Create a new one and zoom them up to whatever level you want. Just don't forget to reforge when you hit your target level, since reforging in the new system "syncs up" your LI with your current character level. Also, get some decent armor if you plan to test against the training dummies, since they fight back and if you're wearing starter armor, they'll likely kill you. Which is humiliating.

When Mordor came out all my armor became useless at i think level 105 and I was naked.
    Well, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I grind herbalism and Wastes stuff for my alts, so they get a level 105 armor set that lasts until level 120. Sure, some of the Mordor quest-reward stuff will replace those pieces, and are more valuable in Mordor because they have LoE, but at least I get off to a flying start.

It seems all the gear and jewelry I'm currently using looses the set bonuses at level 135. My character builds are based on the set bonuses, when these are lost at level 135 I will be tremendously weaker then when at 134. I am concerned that with max levels stated on the new LI traceries that the same thing will happen when then max level is reached. The amount of effort required to get upgraded remnmo armor, SK earrings, Bloody threshold T3 jewelry, is incredible. Just to have it all wiped out when you get to level 135 is crushing.

Its just that you work so hard to get to where you are to have it all striped from you when you hit a certain level. Items should not instantly cease to work at some max level. Then should just slowly fade away by being less useful because there are better items to be had.
    To be honest, I'm not sure what the rationale is for having max levels on armor and jewellery, other than perhaps to disallow certain set bonuses. Back in the level 105 cap days, for instance, everyone wanted red cappies for Throne, primary for "OB reset" (reset of Oathbreaker's Shame). So, some folks would run Tower of Orthanc (level 75) to get set pieces that gave OB reset, which, frankly, was pretty lame. This is what happens when folks obsess over one particular mechanic <side-eye to the weapon-swappers>. So, I can understand why SSG eventually put a max level on the ToO armor set. Running a level 105 raid wearing level 75 armor pieces is not where they wanted folks to be.

Thank you for the guide. Well I'm still trying to wrap my head around this new system, in a way that it just doesn't look much different to me than the existing one, so sort of begs the question why we even got new system, couldn't they just improve current one? As someone who has maxed LIs on 8 classes, and in some cases more than one set of LIs per character, all I see is having to do work all over again. Sure I am happy for people who struggled with LIs, but for me it's just like asking of me to do grind all over again :/ Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Confused as ever....

I think they want to prevent min/maxers to have the best before they even start the new raids. The way I see it is, even if I don't worry about upgrading the traceries, I can catch up with new ones.

I think this is what hasn't been fully understood, this LIs dps grows with us through reforging which depends on our level. But the traceries are more like the old LIs where instead of getting a new one every so many levels, we get new traceries.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    I think they want to prevent min/maxers to have the best before they even start the new raids.
    That was the case already. With every new area hence also new raid, we had to add few crystals and scrolls, and upgrade relics, be it from barter, crafting or new instances. What made easier for people like me is that we kept up with each end level content, and we raid. Unlike someone who is for example just leveling, and doesn't (so to say) sit on each end level for a while. Imbue system started on level 100, and it's really not far off at all to 130 for someone who just quest and level. And there we had a problem. And I said before, just let crystals and scrolls rain and problem solved, instead of making things complicated, barring things behind level, standing (reputation) and so on. They could kept some relics raid exclusive and make rest easily available. With new system we gonna have that anyway also.