We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Expansion Packs vs. Expansion Quests (Help)

Hey everyone!

I'm currently working to figure out the main differences between the expansion packs and the expansion quests. Looks like the expansion quests are all 99 LP right now, which seems like a pretty solid deal. I have about half of the LP needed to buy all of them, and should have enough LP to get them all by the time the sale closes (which means I'll spend nothing, vs about 60$ for the Xpac Trove). Mainly I don't want to miss anything important that's rolled up in Xpac Trove that I won't get if I just buy the expansion quests.

It appears that the expansion quests won't give me the soldier cap upgrades, but is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
    Arkenstone player. Tinethrum (Man Captain), Sokilvar (Dwarf Champion), and Scuthlo (Hobbit Burglar).

You miss out on older instances and raids. They can be utilised during events such as the Anniversary but aren't often run out of those events except on LSs.

SSG have a habit of utilising old content. You may miss out at such times but hard to do a cost/benefit assessment on a future "must have" reward. Full Skirmish access has been one such case but took a second year to reach critical mass.

The expansion quest are just the quest nothing extra like full expansion gives, for example like Moria expansion quest gives quest + instances, but the full expansion comes with Warden and Rune-keeper quest if don't have.
    Pontin Level 130 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Anemonellie Hobbit Guardian. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

If you open More Details for the whole expansions in the store can see what miss out on. Some instances can be used in Featured Instances at 100 so ask in world if people have found use for particular instances can be helpful as well. It could still be worth getting quests anyway tho for leveling through the level ranges expansions cover.

Okay, thank you all for weighing in! With how slowly I level it might make the most sense to just buy expansion quests through lvl 70 or so, and then buy the Expansion Trove in a few years.
    Arkenstone player. Tinethrum (Man Captain), Sokilvar (Dwarf Champion), and Scuthlo (Hobbit Burglar).

I have exactly the same question!

Quote Originally Posted by Nonde View Post
    If you open More Details for the whole expansions in the store can see what miss out on. Some instances can be used in Featured Instances at 100 so ask in world if people have found use for particular instances can be helpful as well. It could still be worth getting quests anyway tho for leveling through the level ranges expansions cover.
    I know there are differences but I don't remember what they are, so I actually check the description this time.

But the description is exactly the same as a regular expansion (cf. Minas Morgul) so I am really confused.

I am getting close to Mordor so I am planning for the expansion, although 99LP is not that difficult to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTimberwolf View Post
    Hey everyone!

I'm currently working to figure out the main differences between the expansion packs and the expansion quests. Looks like the expansion quests are all 99 LP right now, which seems like a pretty solid deal. I have about half of the LP needed to buy all of them, and should have enough LP to get them all by the time the sale closes (which means I'll spend nothing, vs about 60$ for the Xpac Trove). Mainly I don't want to miss anything important that's rolled up in Xpac Trove that I won't get if I just buy the expansion quests.

It appears that the expansion quests won't give me the soldier cap upgrades, but is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
    Don't forget there's also the new code that'll get you all quest packs free. You don't get all the instances, but it might free up you LP to still get more of those packs. LOTROQUESTS2021

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTimberwolf View Post
    Okay, thank you all for weighing in! With how slowly I level it might make the most sense to just buy expansion quests through lvl 70 or so, and then buy the Expansion Trove in a few years.
    The Mordor one specifically says it includes the instances and raid, so I would at least get that one. I had already bought the others so I don't know what the More Details tab says for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    The Mordor one specifically says it includes the instances and raid, so I would at least get that one. I had already bought the others so I don't know what the More Details tab says for those.
    In the past, it was landscape v instances. It's good to know Mordor is including the instances, but as nobody runs them that was an easy decision for SSG. We used to run one, then they removed SOEs as a reward. Now, with SOEs going away, who knows what they'll do with old instances.