We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Return Tom Bombadil's voice

I petition to return Tom Bombadil's voice back to how it used to be. I made a new character and got to him and found out his voice was changed. Tbh the change is just terrible. His voice was great before. Like he was playing around and enjoying himself. Now he sounds like he is trying to sing opera or something.

So please change him back.

I have to agree, I miss the old voice Tom Bombadil had, don't care too much for the new voice change, but they had to change it cause Tom was added to the new Woe of the willow instance where he says some new dialogue with voice acting, so i guess they wanted same voice across the entire region were we meet tom at in bree-land, therefore don't expect any change returning the old voice,
    Pontin Level 130 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Anemonellie Hobbit Guardian. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

I agree too! I hope they would consider, as they did with Prince Imrahil with the BBs, getting a new VO to aim for the tonal style of the original voice at the least.

Tom Bombadil's original voice sounded merry and happy. The replacement VO sounds like an Ent transplanted into Tom Bombadil's body and would more befit the voice of the Three-Eyed Crow in GoT (Max von Sydow's character) than Tom-Bombadillo!

He may say he is the "Eldest," but he is supposed to sound as the uncannily cheerful and jolly sort of elder, not a depressed old man with a withering, somber voice who belongs by the cold, grey sea under a cloudy starless and moonless winter sky. The new Bombadil's voice would be EXCELLENT to play a tragic old Gondorian sea-lord who lost everything to Corsairs or someone of that ilk who wanders the sea in despair as a broken mortal exile, the voice of the Old English "Seafarer." That setting would far more befit the capabilities of that voice. The new Tom Bombadil's voice reminds me of Thrymm Red-beard's family in Wildermore, a voice whose tone screams "Alas!" and not "Hey dol, merry dol me hearties!"

Cheers!
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

100% agreed on this, I can't stand the new voice over.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

Agreed. The new voice just doesn't fit Tom Bombadil. Far too deep and serious-sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlind View Post
    I made a new character and got to him and found out his voice was changed. Tbh the change is just terrible. His voice was great before. Like he was playing around and enjoying himself. Now he sounds like he is trying to sing opera or something.
    This is one of those cases where we all had a particular vision of what Tom Bombadil would sound like, but returning to the text turned up details we'd missed the first time: did you know that Tom is supposed to have a deep voice? Because if I had known it I'd forgotten! "He turned round and listened, and soon there could be no doubt: someone was singing a song; a deep glad voice was singing carelessly and happily, but it was singing nonsense."

Our original (well, the second one, really; I still fondly remember Orion's original in-house voice for Tom Bombadil) was a fine performance, but his voice wasn't deep at all.

MoL

You can still let the old Bombadil voice in Bree and have the new one in the new instances. You already have a NPC like this: Radagast.

I love the old voice of Radagast in Lonelands (why do you disturb me? ) and I can understand that you made him to have a new voice in Vales of Anduin and such. It's understandable. And it's fine. The old voice is still there, and that's cool.

So why not make the same for Tom Bombadil? Let him say the good old hey dol merry dol my hearties in his house in the Old Forest, and have the new voice in the new instances.
    Anamura, Sunnarea, Silenius, Neushiro, Wandrassa, Wuldar, Fingaladir, Meowear, Virgalia, Turgamar (Old Fegefeuer)
    Amilegeth, Wargarr, Shakarabash, Luklubuz, Grishlukashkahkh, Dashkanakh
    "One lag to lag them all and in the lagness lag them"

:chuckles: Are you people *insane*?

Getting rid of Bombadil's excruciating original voice is one of the greatest QoL boost the game has ever seen :lol:. Well, maybe I exaggerate ... just a tiny smidge ... but "Hey do, merry do!" is greeted with automatic gunfire in this house! Very, very, glad that it is gone, may it burn in a Balrog's fire until the ending of the Ages.

Neither version is perfect; there are elements I appreciate of both. The only unforgivable thing for me is that the new version actually has him sing "Hey, come merry dol" to the melody that we hear in Tom's house and parts of the Shire. Setting lyrics to a tune means you can never hear the tune again without hearing the lyrics! Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    Neither version is perfect; there are elements I appreciate of both. The only unforgivable thing for me is that the new version actually has him sing "Hey, come merry dol" to the melody that we hear in Tom's house and parts of the Shire. Setting lyrics to a tune means you can never hear the tune again without hearing the lyrics! Ugh!
    Neither is perfect i agree there, and while i always liked lotro version, my personal favorite version is from The Tolkien Ensemble, "Hey Dol! Merry Dol!" sung by peter hall
    Pontin Level 130 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Anemonellie Hobbit Guardian. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

If folks watch my stream ever ( which mostly is a no ) hehe
    and I am in the Old Forest around Tom, I always read his text int he old Tom's voice.

The new voice work is great, but, we know Tom as the old Tom voice.