We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1

    Why does the VIP Reward last only 2 days?

    Don't get me wrong, I am pleased to see that they added extra incentives to a VIP subscription, but I don't understand the logic behind such a short turnaround. It is incredibly handy having a vault or forge-master at our disposal anywhere, anytime, but it seems like half the time instead of porting back to a major hub to utilize those features, I'm now just porting back to a VIP reward vendor. The convenience of not having to leave your current location to get to these various services often isn't realized under the current setup. Wouldn't a weekly reset make more sense? You should have the capability to disable the item for any player who lets their VIP sub lapse. I know it's a minor thing, but it also seems like an easy spot for improvement.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Curuer_Bauglir View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I am pleased to see that they added extra incentives to a VIP subscription, but I don't understand the logic behind such a short turnaround. It is incredibly handy having a vault or forge-master at our disposal anywhere, anytime, but it seems like half the time instead of porting back to a major hub to utilize those features, I'm now just porting back to a VIP reward vendor. The convenience of not having to leave your current location to get to these various services often isn't realized under the current setup. Wouldn't a weekly reset make more sense? You should have the capability to disable the item for any player who lets their VIP sub lapse. I know it's a minor thing, but it also seems like an easy spot for improvement.
    All they need is to have an auto bestow pop up quest every day at server reset.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,853
    The reason, quite likely, is so that someone on their last day of VIP doesn't get a week's extra bonus. Much simpler than having to program in that losing VIP lops off an existing buff.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    2,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    All they need is to have an auto bestow pop up quest every day at server reset.
    That would be nice, it's a pain having to make sure I check in with the npc before my sub bennies run out.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    The reason, quite likely, is so that someone on their last day of VIP doesn't get a week's extra bonus. Much simpler than having to program in that losing VIP lops off an existing buff.
    I think someone mentioned checking that, the item became unusable right after the VIP expired.

    Why not add a menu command "get VIP benefits"? We have a command which opens the mailbox, after all.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    14,365
    Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    The reason, quite likely, is so that someone on their last day of VIP doesn't get a week's extra bonus. Much simpler than having to program in that losing VIP lops off an existing buff.
    Not the case though. When I cancelled my sub, I had both the jug active and the services item in my bags. Both stopped working instantly. The second that sub runs out, so do all the perks.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.


  7. #7
    SSG's original reason was to ensure that said VIP System was producing as minimal of an impact on the Servers as possible.

    They have discussed they will see what they can do with such but still want to try and ensure as minimal of an impact on Servers as possible.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Not the case though. When I cancelled my sub, I had both the jug active and the services item in my bags. Both stopped working instantly. The second that sub runs out, so do all the perks.
    It is quite possible that this was the result of a silly decision in development. But the suspicious neurons in my head think that a lot of decisions are being made to try avoid making performance worse. Those of us who have been around since 2007-2009 remember that with much older servers the game used to support a lot more players. Something that has been getting larger is causing a problem - but its guess work what it really is. It could be the size of the world, or number of quests/deeds, or the amount of stuff we each have, etc. What was performance like on Treebeard for the first few days?
    May the winds of fortune sail you,
    May you sail a gentle sea.
    May it always be the other guy
    Who says, "this drink's on me."

  9. #9
    It is just the simplest way to enable that kind of feature for them.

    Items and time-sensitive bufs and such is already how they implement thousands of effects and content in-game. It is the natural choice to do it for this, given that they want it to only last so long at one time and possibly even check it behind-the-scenes whenever they want. The hooks to do all that already rest in this mechanism.

    Customizing the UI is the last thing they would want to touch for something like this.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    568
    I had also wondered about the 2-day thing. Not enough to start a thread about it, but enough to follow along now that there is one watching for any chances of extending/improving the duration.

    By far my favorite VIP perk since the inception of remote mail access.

    Brandy: Cupcakes of Doom.
    Landro: Trueheart Companions.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,639
    Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    The reason, quite likely, is so that someone on their last day of VIP doesn't get a week's extra bonus. Much simpler than having to program in that losing VIP lops off an existing buff.
    Nope, the VIP perks stop working the very minute your subscription lapses.

    The reason, according to Ravinian, is more technical and has to do with available server resources. How exactly he did not elaborate on.....

    That said: both him and Cordovan have said that this is something being looked at, and whether extending it is possible without creating issues.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

  12. #12
    Perhaps a low-impact and easy fix would be to make the items Bind to Account instead of Bind to Character.

    It wouldn't be ideal, but parking a Level 1 next to the NPC and having it mail the items to my real characters would be more convenient than having each character collect it personally.
    Dagoreth (Warden) and Belechannas (Lore-master) of Arkenstone

    < No Dorfs >
    Fighting the Dorf menace to Middle Earth since 2008

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,853
    >Not the case though. When I cancelled my sub, I had both the jug active and the services item in my bags. Both stopped working instantly. The second that sub runs out, so do all the perks.<

    Another theory meets its doom at the hands of the facts. Thanks.

  14. #14
    I agree, the duration of the buff/item is too short. Easiest solution would be making the duration longer, one week would be fine.

    Commander Liliam - the Warden
    Evernight

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,865
    Combining a trip to the housing instance for an ingredients crate pull, grabbing the buff and VIP map to the missions hall means a daily routine. Except come Thursday quest logs full of mission handins some weeks.

    The repetition makes it habit forming so making it something you don't forget. I dare say without missions that might change. With a week duration and keeping it a daily reset time availability makes it easy to top up to suit our play/travels more.

    Not sure forcing the instantiation of a housing instance is saving the server though. But it's likely an extra travel for all VIP chars and cutting it to once a week would more address the stated reason ^^.

    Has anyone actually had a too busy for that or an already in use getting the buff, any 5 min waits? Addressing the tech that creates the lag black spots might make more gains.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    It is just the simplest way to enable that kind of feature for them.

    Items and time-sensitive bufs and such is already how they implement thousands of effects and content in-game. It is the natural choice to do it for this, given that they want it to only last so long at one time and possibly even check it behind-the-scenes whenever they want. The hooks to do all that already rest in this mechanism.

    Customizing the UI is the last thing they would want to touch for something like this.
    In my opinion the easiest way to make it's juste give us one skill for the buff (even if for only 24h) and just put the uberitem in bag without decaying time. It can't add stress on the server, after all even lazy me go take it when I log so almost everybody have it...
    (and yes I also take the ingredients crate, most of the time the only ones I take )

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    152
    I don't see how a VIP menu to get the mobile bank might strain the server, if we already have one for mail. Combine it under the same menu, list all the current options available after clicking the item and get rid of the necessity to have 2 occupied slots in your bag. Or, keep the NPC quest to get the crafting buff (it's not that frequently used) and no item wear buff. Having a menu for bank, auction, relic-master, trader to sell your trash would be a big QoL improvement.
    ...or, add a VIP menu to summon the NPC, then, as is.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,865
    The Shared Storage, Vault, Wardrobe as well as Auction House have retained a distance to npc element in order to function. Having the item in our pack makes our character the input for the npc in the functionality. It needs to be there for non VIP chars opening them and requiring the short distance to use.

    Just use the previous day's item before throwing it out to open them all up then throw it away and try to interact with your stores. "Too far away" spam.

    Just an inducement to go VIP handed to systems to prise into the game; simplest/quickest way to implement it. Not so convenient for players to pick up but a boon otherwise.

  19. #19
    I think the idea to have us use an NPC to get the quest for these items and the locations of the NPC is designed in a way for marketing.

    Imagine that you don't have the constant reminder that there is VIPs collecting perks that you could also utilise if you just became a VIP too? Placement is also very close to quest hubs or AHs and Crafting facilities, all places that new or returning players would be and therefore great advertisement.




    I would prefer that instead of a questgiver the NPC could be a barter merchant* for the x2 items and you could purchase the two items for 1 copper each in stacks of 100. That way you could put them in your vault and as long as you don't let the 2 days run out, you can consume another of the items and get another 2 days.
    Worse case is that you run beyond the 2 days and you have to run to a vault - which in some instances is easier than mapping back to the starter or home neighbourhoods and then get back to where you were. If you so inclined you could even just keep then in your pack and then never without. I mean instant access to shared and personal vaults makes bag space not so much of a premium...

    *having a barter NPC still gives the marketing team the same advertisement as the quest giver with the added benefit that VIPs would like to not have to run back every 2 days
    Last edited by TearMaker; Sep 20 2021 at 04:38 AM.
    WHY DO PEOPLE WHO KNOW THE LEAST, KNOW IT THE LOUDEST?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Braer View Post
    The Shared Storage, Vault, Wardrobe as well as Auction House have retained a distance to npc element in order to function. Having the item in our pack makes our character the input for the npc in the functionality. It needs to be there for non VIP chars opening them and requiring the short distance to use.

    Just use the previous day's item before throwing it out to open them all up then throw it away and try to interact with your stores. "Too far away" spam.

    Just an inducement to go VIP handed to systems to prise into the game; simplest/quickest way to implement it. Not so convenient for players to pick up but a boon otherwise.
    I see.
    What about a menu to summon the NPC? Or just a menu/skill to put those 2 items in your bag?

    If you have to constantly jump there and back (to a not-so-convenient milestone) again, those VIP perks look less attractive, than if you can log in and just go on about your business.

    As for marketing... when half your fellowship has "no item wear" buff, you're reminded all right. You can even see directly who's VIP

    Btw, good idea about consumables. There's no need for additional difficulty, one consumable (stacking to 100, marked "Can only be used by subscribers") gives you 2 items, those behave as is. VIP expires, items unusable.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    15
    For me, Wenda is easily the most important NPC in the game.

    I agree 2 days is too short. It's a pain to have my toons constantly running back to her. I would be happy with any of the suggestions mentioned in this thread. If no one has said it, I might have missed it, I think the devs should at least add Wenda or a location-appropriate equivalent to more hubs: Rivendell, the Twenty-first Hall, Caras Galadhon, and Galtrev immediately come to mind. I am sure many others could be named.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload