We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Improved UI for the new LI system

I've cooked up a quick version of what I consider to be a somewhat cleaner UI for the new LIs. The main idea is to introduce tabs instead of displaying every slot at once. This leads to less scrolling and improves overall usability, while allowing SSG to reuse most of what's in place as of this BR preview.

Naming could obviously be improved. Anyway, let me know what you guys think:

https://lotro-ui-demo.web.app/

Cheers

Vastly superior

Yup. I'd support that.

Tidy, concise & elegant!
    Home base: Gladden - Fluff server: Shadowfax
    Unofficial LotRO Webcomic

I agree this is a lot better than what they have in BR. Nice job!

Thanks for doing that. The current UI has to change. This is the right direction.

BUT I would prefer a more informative overview at first sight, because I think the clickable sections are not practical at all. And I would prefer Unslot-Tokens for the traceries instead of 1000 Mithrilbuttons (@SSG). I don't get why we can't get the old LI UI. Just remove the relics section and extend the legacy window and list all of the traceries in that space. Instead of the legacy level you could fit in a little version of the new tracery symbols. At the top section you could place the Heraldry Slot.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/27218000000266a05/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
    I've cooked up a quick version of what I consider to be a somewhat cleaner UI for the new LIs. The main idea is to introduce tabs instead of displaying every slot at once. This leads to less scrolling and improves overall usability, while allowing SSG to reuse most of what's in place as of this BR preview.

Cheers
    I like that look, is simple & organized. I hope the devs decide to do something similar with the new legendaries UI.

Totally agree the current UI has more MC buttons than actual LI elements. I think your design is fine and it's cool you spent the time to put something together, though I'm sure they will go their own route. Personally I like the framework of the existing LI UI. The most important thing imo is to give us enough real estate and not clutter it with 100 mithril coin buttons. Nobody wants to scroll through a widget in the UI, it's literally the worst design choice possible (I yell at my developers all the time when they produce windows that are too small to navigate without scrolling all over the place).
    Servers: Treebeard | Arkenstone | Landroval
    Classes: Hunter | Champion | Loremaster | Warden | Beorning

Quote Originally Posted by Degelhil View Post
    I don't get why we can't get the old LI UI. Just remove the relics section and extend the legacy window and list all of the traceries in that space. Instead of the legacy level you could fit in a little version of the new tracery symbols. At the top section you could place the Heraldry Slot.
    This is for sure a valid alternative. However my initial idea was to retain as much from the current layout as possible, that's why I chose to add tabs (which is not ideal either, but better than scrolling through a single list view).

Quote Originally Posted by Strider5548 View Post
    I think your design is fine and it's cool you spent the time to put something together, though I'm sure they will go their own route. Personally I like the framework of the existing LI UI. The most important thing imo is to give us enough real estate and not clutter it with 100 mithril coin buttons. Nobody wants to scroll through a widget in the UI, it's literally the worst design choice possible (I yell at my developers all the time when they produce windows that are too small to navigate without scrolling all over the place).
    Honestly, I just hope they make the change before this goes live. It's understandable why they came up with the current design (it saves development effort and $$$ by reusing the existing socket slot panel), I do believe however that the amount of usability sacrificed is unjustified and will be detrimental to the overall adoption of the system. Arguably the LI panel will be one of the most used UI elements going forward.

I have no problem with SSG going their own route - I encourage them to create something beautiful for such a core system as LIs. The goal of this was to show that with minimal changes (i.e. introducing tabs/filters) SSG can keep using the list layout while reducing/removing the need for scrolling. I fully agree that the excessive use of the mithril coin buttons is annoying and needs to be questioned.

Much better.

It will be usevoll that some designer devs. take a look at this topic.
    I have some dificulty on my moitor to see these long, long list.

The tabbed version is much better

If we don't get something similar to this I, and most of the players I guess, will be seriously pissed!

Fantastic proposition, Devs if you didn't think of it please implement it, if yes, then show it on the next BR build!
    Arequain Belechael, Legate of Celosien, Minas Brethil, Lebennin

I like the idea of the tabs, will be something I take back to the team. But there's a lot of continuing work on the current UI - it's nowhere near our internal mocks yet, there're still a lot of pieces coming in. They'll keep rolling out, but it'll take some time, and I'm sure we'll have additional work we'll want to do once the latest iteration of the UI goes live and we get broader player feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Raninia View Post
    I like the idea of the tabs, will be something I take back to the team. But there's a lot of continuing work on the current UI - it's nowhere near our internal mocks yet, there're still a lot of pieces coming in. They'll keep rolling out, but it'll take some time, and I'm sure we'll have additional work we'll want to do once the latest iteration of the UI goes live and we get broader player feedback.
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the coming Beta/s.

Please don't forget to add the "Make Uber" button!!
    May the winds of fortune sail you,
    May you sail a gentle sea.
    May it always be the other guy
    Who says, "this drink's on me."

I really hope you mean goes onto BR, not live

Quote Originally Posted by Nubja View Post
    Home base: Gladden - Fluff server: Shadowfax
    Unofficial LotRO Webcomic

Quote Originally Posted by Nubja View Post
    Both.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post

Cheers
    And with something of an art-pass it could look something like this

Quote Originally Posted by Hallandil View Post
    I like that. It looks like existing UI's for Traits, Virtues, and Soldiers. Definitely better than the UI on BR. I absolutely hate having to scroll to see all of the information. Having each newLI on its own tab seems like a no-brainer, since that's the way the current LI UI is set up.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

I definitely like the visuals. Maybe it's a bit simple. I do like seeing stats more or less directly. The single button for enhancing/unslotting definitely reduces the amount of clutter.

Thumbs up

O.O Very nice, i like it

Do we have an interactive tooltip in the game tech? One that can be linked also; thinking call outs for "non anon" where you'd like to know if the role is being correctly filled.

Trait trees brought a significant change to our ability to ID possible participants. ILI's and gear gives us a hint to the build choices now but are we to loose further intel if the tech isn't available immediately?

Love the ideas though

It's really reassuring that the mitrhil coin mtx bs is already part of the "very" early UI. Priorities
    Last edited by Daenirion; Sep 15 2021 at 08:46 AM.

I don't know about anyone else but my monitor seems to be wider than it is high. Do I need to search for a new High Screen TV?

D'Oh! Never mind, found the swivel mount...

j/k just in case that's needed. Upping the graphics to fit the size of some tooltips is pushing the limits of my eyesight.

Lightbulb

That is pretty, but i like the tabs style better. Maybe they could a tabs style panel, that have a smoky background with a picture of a playable character holding a weapon. Even better if that background pitcure change to match, depending the slotted weapon kind, but if that is too much for the development budget, a sword sound universal enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast