We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Devs, for the love of Eru, PLEASE add a map of the Glittering Caves!

At least to the story-version.

I just spent 25 minutes trying to find the exit AFTER finishing the Stories quest. I ended up having to use /stuck to get out.

Right now I'm dreading sending another character through there.

It's frustrating and not fun.
    Iaralor | Riddorra | Cirnordar | Thransi | Fanion | Tarro | Otleif | Mallelleth

Do you WANT Ents, Saruman? Because that's how you get Ents.

Yeah, a map on the wiki is pretty much useless when you can't see where you are in game and every area in the Glittering Caves looks the exact same with a ton of dead ends and barriers. There needs to be an in-game map, at least for the Stories version. You shouldn't have to use /stuck to get out.

And using "Leave Instance" doesn't work?
    Do you WANT Ents, Saruman? Because that's how you get Ents.

The instance was already finished and I was still in the caves.

Every other cave/dungeons/whatever in the game has a map...it makes no sense that there isn't one for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ioralor View Post
    The instance was already finished and I was still in the caves.

Every other cave/dungeons/whatever in the game has a map...it makes no sense that there isn't one for this.
    After you finish it you should get teleported. If stuck, try leave instance.

I don't know how else I can word this.

You pick up the Stories 'instance' INSIDE the Glittering Caves. Which means that when you complete the Stories 'Instance,' you are put back where you picked it up...which is inside the Glittering Caves. There is no 'Leave Instance' because the 'instance' is finished and you're no longer in it. But you ARE still in the Glittering Caves, nowhere near the exit.

Which is why there needs to be a map. Because I spent 25 minutes trying to find my way out of the Caves before giving up and having to use '/stuck'.

I don't know how else I can word this.

You pick up the Stories 'instance' INSIDE the Glittering Caves. Which means that when you complete the Stories 'Instance,' you are put back where you picked it up...which is inside the Glittering Caves. There is no 'Leave Instance' because the 'instance' is finished and you're no longer in it. But you ARE still in the Glittering Caves, nowhere near the exit.

Which is why there needs to be a map. Because I spent 25 minutes trying to find my way out of the Caves before giving up and having to use '/stuck'.
    I just jumped tp my death. Then I had problems getting back in the correct "time" to continue questing. The Glittrring caves are a mess to navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ioralor
    Actually, there are quite a few areas without maps. Kam Lagurz comes to mind as another example of a cave without a map.

FWIW, the MoorMap plugin has a map of the Glittering Caves as well as a number of other areas (including Kam Lagurz) for which SSG has not included maps.
    https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...2-MoorMap.html

although, it is possible that the instance and the quest version have different co-ordinates (I don't recall which I used for capturing the map co-ordinates, it's been many years since I was in there) - many instanced areas have multiple co-ordinate versions while some others use phasing and the same co-ordinates, heck, the instances in WotP actually overlay the correct exterior coordinates which gets really confusing for plugins - so, the plugin may or may not help co-ordinate wise, but it can certainly help match up the compass display with a full map.

I don't recall having trouble finding my way out, but then again, I may have simply used a milestone or travel skill.
    Last edited by Garan; Aug 02 2021 at 05:48 PM.

I was in Woe of the Willow yesterday, and no, that does not have a map either. But I agree, it smacks of unfinished/rushed work when these places have no map.

The only exception in my book would be the Old Forest, where the whole intention of not having a map and making it feel like a bit of a maze would play along with the idea that the trees actually move around to make you get lost. It never had a map originally, which I assumed was by design, but then they added one. Go figure.

Years ago I ran Glittering Caves to rack up points and ... whatever currency they used, back when it was endgame. I probably ran it five hundred times. I could do it in my sleep. And I still can't find my way around in it without a lot of stumbling around blindly. I wholeheartedly agree with the OP. But they wouldn't do it back when this was endgame and being run a hundred times a day and we were begging for it, so they're sure not likely to do it now. Maybe they'd add a Swift Goat between Gimli and the entrance, though. That would be pretty trivial and it's the kind of thing they've done before, e.g., Foundations of Stone.