We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

auto pickup option added for farm fields

I think it would be nice if an auto pickup option was added for all farm fields so that we could hit make-all and not lose any crops in the crafting panel it would also allow players to watch their character craft as a farmer instead of worrying about losing crops.

I can see people abusing this to farm shards while they watch tv or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ZepherZaner View Post
    I think it would be nice if an auto pickup option was added for all farm fields so that we could hit make-all and not lose any crops in the crafting panel it would also allow players to watch their character craft as a farmer instead of worrying about losing crops.
    Omg seconded.

deleted
    Last edited by ZepherZaner; Jun 29 2021 at 04:24 PM.

well, I just want to say that it would make the make-all button on a farmer actually useful to a farmer that was not processing the crops.

on another note, I don't understand you at all your against gold farming yet when an option to remove it comes up you say no?

how this would remove gold farmers if the shards that go for extremely way to high of prices were easier to get less players would need them making the price of them drop which would make fewer gold farmers use it to make money making the gold farmers drop like flies.
    What I think you would actually find is that the gold farmers set up afk farmers in game and sell the shards they reap from endless crop gathering to those that don't have the time or inclination to do it otherwise.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

"Everyone draws the moral line of what's acceptable just slightly below what they're actually doing."

how this would remove gold farmers if the shards that go for extremely way to high of prices were easier to get less players would need them making the price of them drop which would make fewer gold farmers use it to make money making the gold farmers drop like flies.
    I'm unsure what you're saying but it was botted a lot in the past.
    The process was changed slightly since.

Someone bragged they made level 100 just farming on an extra laptop using some automated gameplay. I think there was a video later stating someone made 130 cap too? I've not followed it much.
    I recall reporting a box group of 12 LMs botting the same spot for months and had no response from support so I gave up.

This suggestion would be a botter's dream though. Is it time to embrace the automated overnight/eay/week/month/year farmers?

on another note, I don't understand you at all your against gold farming yet when an option to remove it comes up you say no?
    I actually agree with you that farmers need auto harvest. If you look at it this way, we still have to grind our produce out the same way others have to refine their ore, wood and hides.
    I am aware that farming is not the same as going out and finding the resource nodes but anyone can pop up a instance nowadays and farm hides, ore and wood just as easily so this argument is futile.
    I don't care if people abuse auto harvest for shards. We need more ways to get them. Making trophy mobs drop shards and respawn in a hour, two or three is not the answer.
    Shards being dropped from side bosses in Remmorchant would be heck of a better option.
    Guaranteed drop rates from side bosses would be the best option if we keep shard droppers.
    Remmorchant side bosses, mammoths in AD and the 2 Rogmul in The Fall of Khazad-dum should all drop shards.
    That would solve all of the shard problems.

I reiterate, auto harvesting is a thing I've been wanting for YEARS.

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    I think there was a video later stating someone made 130 cap too? ?
    There was a big article on it in mmorpg.com also. He leveled his character up just via cooking to max level with his guild mates supplying him with ingredients.

As to the OP's suggestion; I'd say YES. Farming has to be one of the more painful crafts compared to the other ones. I find I can only plant 9 at a time if I want to harvest all before they disappear. Being able to automate that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    I find I can only plant 9 at a time if I want to harvest all before they disappear.

Here's a tip, you can go into options > key mapping and search for toggle next/nearest item and bind them to different keys.

Here is the difference:
    Select nearest item means anything closest to you can be selected. Since all of your fields in the same spot, you won't be selecting them in order.
    Select next item means anything closest to furthest from you can be selected. Since all of your fields are in the same spot, select next item will select the oldest to newest field so you will be selecting them in order.

Use target is default to the U key and select nearest item is default to the delete key. Select next item isn't defaulted to any key.
    A commonly shared keybind for select next item is Y and people would just hit YUYUYUYUYU to harvest each field after planting a set number of times.
    Closest to automation that you can get but auto harvest would be so much easier if implemented into the game.

deleted
    Last edited by ZepherZaner; Jun 29 2021 at 04:24 PM.

I would have no objection to this being added. It's really no different than hitting "make all" on your prospector and going through 1,000 units of ore to make 500 bars while you glance at the screen and wiggle the mouse every couple of minutes while BBQing the chicken.

However, you can get something close to this already:
    1- Be sure ALWAYS LOOT ALL is checked in your UI options panel.
    2- Bind a key to SELECT NEXT instead of SELECT NEAREST.
    3- Bind a key to USE SELECTION.
    4- Plant a bunch of crops. I know I can do 15 at a time without losing any, maybe it's possible to do more, I haven't experimented to find out.
    5- As soon as the planting is done, hit your SELECT NEXT keybind followed by your USE SELECTION keybind. Then, as fast as you can, do that 14 more times.
    The picking of all 15 crop patches will proceed as you watch.

I wrote about this back in April when I "discovered" the process:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...king-of-crops)

edit: I didn't read the entire thread before responding and I see now that someone else described this method above.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    I would have no objection to this being added. It's really no different than hitting "make all" on your prospector and going through 1,000 units of ore to make 500 bars while you glance at the screen and wiggle the mouse every couple of minutes while BBQing the chicken.

However, you can get something close to this already:
    1- Be sure ALWAYS LOOT ALL is checked in your UI options panel.
    2- Bind a key to SELECT NEXT instead of SELECT NEAREST.
    3- Bind a key to USE SELECTION.
    4- Plant a bunch of crops. I know I can do 15 at a time without losing any, maybe it's possible to do more, I haven't experimented to find out.
    5- As soon as the planting is done, hit your SELECT NEXT keybind followed by your USE SELECTION keybind. Then, as fast as you can, do that 14 more times.
    The picking of all 15 crop patches will proceed as you watch.

I wrote about this back in April when I "discovered" the process:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...king-of-crops)

edit: I didn't read the entire thread before responding and I see now that someone else described this method above.
    Its very different to a prospector hitting "make all" and going through 1000 units of ore to make ingots. Making ingots is processing items that have been "collected" (aka, harvested), just like "making all" strawberry crops is processing items that have been collected/harvested. A prospector doesn't get to stand in a single spot to collect their ore, they have to go out and find it, and dig it up, once node at a time. Even if they go into an instance that contains it, there are limits on how many they will find, and they still have to dig it up one node at a time, and have to actually complete all of it to gather all the ore inside it. A farmer however, can stand in one spot and gather those strawberry crops very easily (20 at a time using Del and U).

It's balanced as it is now with a three step process in the professions.

1. Gather raw items (ore, crops, hides). Farming is already significantly faster than all other professions on this step, and definitely the easiest.
    2. Process raw items (ore, crops, hides) into useful items (ingots, food items, leathers)
    3. Use useful items (ingots, food items, leathers) to make things (weapons, cooked foods, armour)
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

deleted
    Last edited by ZepherZaner; Jun 29 2021 at 04:25 PM.

sounds like what you want is for crafting to be equal instead of the best quality.
    which crafting has never been equal or fair ever. farming has always been easy compared to all other crafting types even the crafting types it supplies are harder it literally is the easiest crafting type.
    no other crafting type can have everything for it purchased from the supplier.
    it is also the easiest one to both lose and make money with.
    because if you don't realize you hit the make all button on a field instead of a bunch of crops you have harvested your out all the money those fields cost in both resources and time.
    the historian is the second easiest craft to do everything is supplied from mobs you get what you need from just playing the game.
    forester is the third easiest craft because all hides are supplied by mobs no having to hope a node is around.

I think I have beat the horse to death yet just in case you missed the point crafting has never been balanced and the only true way to balance it would be to offer the ability to add more professions to the vocations we already have yet no one wants that!
    1. Yes, crafting should be as equal as possible through all the professions.
    2. Correct, it's not fully equal and farming is the easiest already, so no need to make it even easier.
    3. The way to not lose crops by accidentally hitting "make all", is to not walk away from the PC and go afk.
    4. All the crafts vary, but the toughest is jeweller.

Correct, it will never be fully balanced, but that is not a reason to make it even more unbalanced.

deleted

actually, your wrong metalsmiths/weaponsmiths are the hardest because Gems and Jewells drop from almost every mob making jewellers easy not hard
    also, it is a quality of life change, not a change to make it easier for a farmer having auto pickup as an option for picking up the farm field he/she just made and mostly an anti-carpal tunnel sindrone.
    has nothing to do with hard or easy it is a quality of life change that is all because we can already make 15 farms and pick them up with del use warring out are keyboards and mouses and it is not really hard.
    and it would be no easier if the auto pickup option was added. the true only difference is players would have to buy keyboards less and people would not lose their crops as much and people would enjoy the farmer more.
    Sorry, we will have to agree to disagree on the jeweller thing.

A QoL change would add some convenience, not give the massive advantage of being able to walk away from the game for ages, come back and harvesting has all been done while away. The day that they put a forever-node in the game and allow prospectors to stand still in a single spot and auto harvest it while afk, is the day that they provide that mechanic to farmers.
    Prospectors, Foresters, Historians - all have to go out of a single spot - all over Middle Earth, and do some form of work to collect their raw materials. Farmers can stand in the same spot forever, and they too, should have to do some work for their materials. AFK farming shouldn't be encouraged, and a change like you have proposed will encourage it. It is indeed, why it's been suggested.

deleted

This is a terrible idea.

/not signed

Perhaps you can learn gardening in your real life. It has better rewards than virtual carrots.
    "That what is explicitly two, can at the same time be implicitly one."

Alan Watts

deleted because I felt like it should be.
    Last edited by ZepherZaner; Jun 29 2021 at 04:20 PM.

so farmers paying for the crops they get.
    whereas prospectors don't
    hmm, prospectors have it really hard they don't have to pay for any of the material they get just have to find it that is easy as hell.
    I hope they don't run broke accidentally picking up a node oh wait they can't because their material is free.
    I hope they don't get carpal tunnel from making their nodes oh wait they don't make them.
    I hope they don't get bored stiff picking up nodes on end oh wait they get to attack mobs so they do not get fully board wow.
    it really must be a pain to be a prospector or a forester oh wait I have been both and it was easy and kind of thrilling.
    farming is boring so much it is almost painful and not being able to walk away from it except when processing the crops is total abuse yet it is still less abuse than the raids and questing at level cap.
    The non-Farmer gathering professions must be high enough level to survive the mobs in the areas where they are gathering. Farmers with a few gold from another character can just start farming at level 5-6 when they get out of the starter zone and level all the way to max without ever being attacked. That's the tradeoff. If you want auto-harvesting then that should be accompanied by random mobs springing from the soil and attacking the Farmer.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

hmm, prospectors have it really hard they don't have to pay for any of the material they get just have to find it that is easy as hell.
    I hope they don't run broke accidentally picking up a node oh wait they can't because their material is free.
    I hope they don't get carpal tunnel from making their nodes oh wait they don't make them.
    I hope they don't get bored stiff picking up nodes on end oh wait they get to attack mobs so they do not get fully board wow.
    it really must be a pain to be a prospector or a forester oh wait I have been both and it was easy and kind of thrilling.
    farming is boring so much it is almost painful and not being able to walk away from it except when processing the crops is total abuse yet it is still less abuse than the raids and questing at level cap.
    Nothing about any gathering on any profession is difficult. Nobody ever said that it was.
    Farming ore nodes doesn't cost anything. Farming seeds doesn't cost the earth. A prospector may not get broke picking up a node, but their tools can break, meaning they have to go all the way back to a hub to fix them.
    No idea what you're talking about regarding making crops giving carpal tunnel. Plant 20 = one click, Del U all 20 to pick them up. If that is a problem for anyone in a combat based MMO, don't bother playing the game, and for Heaven's sake, don't ever consider entering a raid.

Farming is boring yes, All gathering is boring, even if there are mobs in the way which need to be fought off. It's part of all professions, including farmer. None of it should be available while AFK.

yeah being a farmer I know this already. and think you are not considering the fact that most farmers don't leave their real crops to die and almost automatically harvest them when the time comes.
    They don't do it from their sitting room chair while watching the telly though do they. There is nothing "automatic" about it. They go out and do the work to harvest their crops, often having to put many other tasks on hold until it is finished.

Why don't you choose prospector profession then if it so easy and thrilling? Sounds like you made a bad decision which you could easily correct.
    There's some good in this world, and it is worth fighting for.

I agreed with you about automated harvesting but I am now disagreeing since you seem to want to attack everyone who says something you don't fully understand or disagrees with you.
    But Ammena does make a fair and solid point that harvesting requires work in the real life and other tasks to be on hold.
    Also, there is not a single crop that you can plant in the real world where you can instantly harvest it for produce.
    Another thing, it is considerably easy to plant 25-28 crops at a time and rotate YU(x25-28 times) to harvest all 25-28 at the finish of your planting cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Plant 20 = one click, Del U all 20 to pick them up.
    Also, del u won't harvest all 20 in a row.
    You have to use select next item or you will be selecting field #1-20 in a random order, not from oldest to newest that select next item would do.

Pewpewmidget I am sorry that I made you unhappy and did wrong by everyone here and to prove it I have deleted all messages from me other than this one and the original post of the thread that I posted in this thread again I am sorry for posting them in the first place and I hope you all have a nice day and hope you will forgive me for being a jerk.
    Last edited by ZepherZaner; Jun 29 2021 at 04:28 PM.