We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A Classic server is possible. "Its never off the table" says SSG. Sign to Support!

OFFICIALLY, THE MYTH ABOUT THE IMPOSSIBILITY OF THE PROJECT IS BUSTED: Between the producer and the community manager, an admission was made that a true classic SoA server is indeed possible, despite the often regurgitated rumor from players (not from devs) that classic was "impossible" due to "lost code".

Link to the clip:

https://clips.twitch.tv/AcceptableAn...ZFuM9-OD7Lh5TC

As the legendary servers are just copies of live servers, those players who hoped for some semblance of repeating the original experience were disappointed with the concept. Many of those players did not bother with those servers. Many who tried them quit soon afterward once they realized their own mistake of thinking it would be any different than live servers. Kins became ghost towns.

But a real classic server would leave nothing to be desired.

Join the effort! Type /SIGN under this post to express your interest in a classic SoA server!

AND TO SSG:
    Bring us Classic!

Last edited by BadJuju; Jun 21 2021 at 01:09 AM.

/signed

/signed

He also said kickstarter is a possibility within the company, maybe see if there is enough interest through a kickstarter?

Lets also mention that he said it is an extremely difficult task, and we get that for sure. Just nice to see a glimmer of hope.

That is SSG code for "technically no would an incorrect answer".

/signed

Words can’t describe how much I miss classic lotro, even with all of its faults.
    I would happily support a Kickstarter for a TRUE classic experience that ideally released content in waves I.e evendim/forochel/eregion.

SSG/Raninia if you’re reading this, it would be very well received and hell I’d pay a premium price for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
    OFFICIALLY, THE MYTH ABOUT THE IMPOSSIBILITY OF THE PROJECT IS BUSTED: .......

When you say CLASSIC what do you mean?

1) The Game as of 24 April 2007 - Official Launch - The Lord of the Rings Online™: SHADOWS OF ANGMAR™

2) The game as of 18 November 2008 - Mines of Moria.

3) The game as of 1 December 2009 - Siege of Mirkwood.

If my memory is correct, the game was a little buggy and a lot of that got fixed in the Mines of Moria.
    The key to success is preparation,
    The key to preparation is practice,
    The key to practice is Guinness!

Only a couple of players ever said that it's impossible, most people are just saying that SSG is not gonna do it for finance and resource reasons.

Personally, I have nothing against it even though I would never play it because I don't want to go back to that style of gameplay. But I know that other folks would love it, and that's cool with me.

I don't think that SSG will ever take the time to do it. Just don't see it happening.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

OFFICIALLY, THE MYTH ABOUT THE IMPOSSIBILITY OF THE PROJECT IS BUSTED: Between the producer and the community manager, an admission was made that a true classic SoA server is indeed possible, despite the often regurgitated rumor from players (not from devs) that classic was "impossible" due to "lost code".

Link to the clip:

https://clips.twitch.tv/AcceptableAn...ZFuM9-OD7Lh5TC

As the legendary servers are just copies of live servers, those players who hoped for some semblance of repeating the original experience were disappointed with the concept. Many of those players did not bother with those servers. Many who tried them quit soon afterward once they realized their own mistake of thinking it would be any different than live servers. Kins became ghost towns.

Join the effort! Type /SIGN under this post to express your interest in a classic SoA server!

AND TO SSG:
    Bring us Classic!

From my stand point, as of right now, I don't know if this would interest me or not, but . . . . I'm all for supporting it for those that do. That said, hubby has always said that I would love the game in it's classic form, so for that reason, and to support those that really want this . . .

/signed from me.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Deffinitely /signed!

If not for the forthcoming TV show and hope of a resurgence of the game I would agree. A server providing true nostalgia not just a lower level fresh start would keep things active and stave off the dreaded day when we hit maintenance mode.

But not with SSG, spurred by the new owners, hoping for a flood of new players and working to simplify and improve things to attract and keep them. Doing things like finally releasing changes in the LI system and experimenting with a fast progress to level-cap server. They should continue to focus on this and, more importantly, improved server performance.

Yes I know the LI improvements aren't out yet and past history says to view anything said now with a huge amount of skepticism. Yes I know Shadowfax may have nothing to do with plans for an influx of new players. Yes I know that years from now we may still be waiting for reduced lag. But I hope I see a real pattern here and under new ownership there will actually be action not just talk on these issues. Glass half full and all that.

It would be interesting to find out who exactly really wants a 'classic server'. Is it the older players that actually KNOW what that means? Or is it those that never experienced it?

Because a true classic server will mean no more buffs to solo group content. Having to group up for for certain parts of the normal content (who remembers how hard the starter area Archet quest was where you had to go in and get the message pouch? Because of the number of hostile npc's around it that a single player really couldn't handle?).

While there are parts of a classic server that would be nice (the fog feature on maps - never been there? Then no map features for you), there's a lot I'd rather not go through again.

Its not impossible but its extremely difficult they said, there's so much work that goes into something like this, bear in mind Blizzard hired a whole separate team to make WoW Classic happen, not going to happen with SSG any time soon, maybe one day far in the future sure, I'd want to see it, but again very unlikely for a long time is my guess, anyway /signed.
    Pontin Level 130 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Anemonellie Hobbit Guardian. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

I've never seen a blue name say a classic server was impossible due to lost code.

The times I've seen devs weigh in on this question, they've said that returning to a SoA code base would bring back tons of bugs and revert a bunch of quality-of-life changes that players depend on now. It would take a ton of work to make the classic game fun for modern players, and they just don't think it's worth it.

I think it's more useful to list the stuff from early game people really miss.

I've only (!) been playing this game for eight years, so I missed a lot of this early game feel, but the thing I see most are:

- Trait trees. I think I would love playing with the old style of character builds.

- Things like mounts being hard to get again.

I'd love to hear what other folks miss from classic play.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Mithril League: Ardith (Woman Captain)
    Learning to raid on Anor https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...League-Kinship

The outcome will most probably be that the dev team is getting a lot more work, but is not increased. And we will get a few new virtual servers that will run on the existing server hardware that seems overloaded already.
    Of course reality could be different, but this is simple extrapolation of the last years.
    So IF classic servers are implemented, they should better bring sufficient fresh money.

Quote Originally Posted by bjute View Post
    /signed

He also said kickstarter is a possibility within the company, maybe see if there is enough interest through a kickstarter?

Lets also mention that he said it is an extremely difficult task, and we get that for sure. Just nice to see a glimmer of hope.
    Be complete here: yes, Raninia said crowdfunding is a possibility. He also said he is against it in most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    It would be interesting to find out who exactly really wants a 'classic server'. Is it the older players that actually KNOW what that means? Or is it those that never experienced it?

Because a true classic server will mean no more buffs to solo group content. Having to group up for for certain parts of the normal content (who remembers how hard the starter area Archet quest was where you had to go in and get the message pouch? Because of the number of hostile npc's around it that a single player really couldn't handle?).

While there are parts of a classic server that would be nice (the fog feature on maps - never been there? Then no map features for you), there's a lot I'd rather not go through again.
    I wasn't here to experience it in the very early days, however, when I started playing, before HD/Trait trees etc, I was playing with a small group of friends who were also new to the game. We had to group up a lot around Middle Earth, especially in Angmar and for the Epics. I didn't at that point know about any inspiration buff, as we entered instances as a group mostly, and when there wasn't enough of us (full fellowship runs), we would just outlevel it by a few levels and then do it.

It was a lot of fun.

On later characters, I played a lot of it solo, because those friends didn't stay, and that's when I experienced things like inspiration buff etc. Without it, I would have had to over level by a lot to get the same outcome. There were no players grouping up around those older areas to PUG with either.

So, with that said, I think if I were to go into a classic server, I'd ensure I go with a group of friends.

No problems then.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post

I don't know what SoA looked like on release but I know that when I started I couldn't finish the epic because it required fellowship. Content was still harder at that time as well and I didn't get to experience the old trees because they were changed soon after. I miss a lot when I start characters without VIP and I know I prefer landscape questing to be solo. So I don't think I'm one interested in that experience.

If they get the #s on how many use the sliders on what difficulty levelling how many characters with it, that would be a good indication of a interested group on life servers. Those who want challenging fellowship forcing landscape content probably will be happy with it unless they also want the QoL changes that were made. We just don't know how many there are just that they are constantly on the forum.

Personally, I am not interested in a classic server. I'm just not nostalgic, and also feel you can't return to good times in the past. The magic combination of the people who were playing, the freshness of experiencing things for the first time, where I was in my life at the time -- these things cannot be brought back. And the past was never as great as I remember it - I and many other folks tend to remember the good stuff and minimize the bad stuff.

I prefer to move forward with new content, new experiences, making new memories.

OFFICIALLY, THE MYTH ABOUT THE IMPOSSIBILITY OF THE PROJECT IS BUSTED
    I wouldn't get your hopes up. He also said he couldn't comment on what came before him and that's kind of what he did here. They've always said that for example the old instance are gone so like Garth Agarwen, Fornost and Great Barrow as they existed back then would have to be created new. Maybe there's a sliver of hope though when he talked about what it took to build launch WoW but he also said SSG doesn't have those kind of resources.

Be cool though, definitely would like to play in that golden age everyone talks about.

I really dislike when The Carrot Of False HopesTM is being dangled in front of players, so I fear this might be one of the occasions where two people (the community manager, and the newest producer in house) not exactly knowledgeable about the details, are making it sound much more viable than it actually is. Even when the response ends in "We just aren't equipped to do that right now .... that's not something we have the capability right now, and that's just the reality of it".

I direct people to go and watch the answer, which doesn't end at the point where the clip in the OP ended it: (the link below has the time stamp to that answer)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1060104760?t=00h37m10s

Not really interested as I first hit cap in siege of Mirkwood. Old traits were fine, new traits ok. Been through 4 revamps in wow so you just adapt.

The interesting thing for me is the idea of having the big talkers involved in organizing crowd funding the classic release. Developers are $300-$400k loaded rate per year so dig deep into your pockets and come up with 4-6+ million or so. Life in a corporate world isn’t free unless you find a rich person to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by SavinDwarf View Post
    When you say CLASSIC what do you mean?

1) The Game as of 24 April 2007 - Official Launch - The Lord of the Rings Online™: SHADOWS OF ANGMAR™

2) The game as of 18 November 2008 - Mines of Moria.

3) The game as of 1 December 2009 - Siege of Mirkwood.

If my memory is correct, the game was a little buggy and a lot of that got fixed in the Mines of Moria.
    Just read the post instead of jumping straight to the reply button.

/signed

I would want nothing more. Though I don't know if it's possible. A LOT of work went into wow classic. It's not as simple as just using old code. Trees, rocks etc. had to be moved back manually into their original position after they'd put it on the new engine. I don't want to be a downer here, but you have to compare the costs vs profit. It would take a lot of resources and lotro is not as big as wow. The development team isn't as big either. Even though I'm a lifer I would gladly pay 15 euro a month for a classic server. However, I don't think we'll ever get one.
    "The leaves were long, the grass was green, The hemlock-umbels tall and fair, And in the glade a light was seen Of stars in shadow shimmering.
    Tinuviel was dancing there To music of a pipe unseen, And light of stars was in her hair, And in her raiment glimmering. [...]" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by TharbadThief View Post
    I really dislike when The Carrot Of False HopesTM is being dangled in front of players, so I fear this might be one of the occasions where two people (the community manager, and the newest producer in house) not exactly knowledgeable about the details, are making it sound much more viable than it actually is. Even when the response ends in "We just aren't equipped to do that right now .... that's not something we have the capability right now, and that's just the reality of it".

I direct people to go and watch the answer, which doesn't end at the point where the clip in the OP ended it: (the link below has the time stamp to that answer)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1060104760?t=00h37m10s
    There is a possibility as they have the old server code. After all talk about classic servers i am pretty sure that everyone internally at SSG know that it would indeed be possible. Otherwise he would not have said it.. Ncsoft more than doubled their revenue with the release of classic Aion, and wow classic more than tripled their revenue. So no surprise they have looked into the possibility.

Also why do you dislike developers who can have an open discussion? Would you rather have him ignore this question? I think everyone understands that this is in no way or form an indication that we will get it. As he said, all we know is that its possible but difficult.
    Last edited by bjute; Jun 22 2021 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bjute View Post
    There is a possibility as they have the old server code.
    They do?
    "The leaves were long, the grass was green, The hemlock-umbels tall and fair, And in the glade a light was seen Of stars in shadow shimmering.
    Tinuviel was dancing there To music of a pipe unseen, And light of stars was in her hair, And in her raiment glimmering. [...]" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast