We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New Essences - Striking Essence of Runic Light/Flame/Frost

Apart from what the essence does on the actual description of the item (which is a bit vague) does anyone know what these things actually do?

e.g. Do they do damage and how much. Are they worth having?

Another round of essences? Seems a little excessive by now.

On hit, 10% chance to create cold/fire/light damage (10s cd):

cold: range 5m, 4 targets, 106875 damage @ 130
    fire: range 7m, 6 targets, 89063 damage @ 130
    light: range 9m, 8 targets, 71250 damage @ 130

in other words:
    cold: less range/targets, but most damage per target
    fire: average
    light: most range/targets, but less damage per target
    Last edited by Giseldah; Jun 11 2021 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giseldah View Post

in other words:
    I would expect that the CD is shared among all essences of this type?

Quote Originally Posted by thinx View Post
    The tooltip reads something like "you can use two essences simultaneously". Can someone confirm this does work?

Quote Originally Posted by thinx View Post
    Difficult to tell. I guess the cd is based on each individual type of runic essence in this case. Max proc of 2 looks to be shared among striker class essences.

(can't confirm these mechanics)
    Last edited by Giseldah; Jun 11 2021 at 04:29 AM.

Difficult to tell. I guess the cd is based on each individual type of runic essence in this case. Max proc of 2 looks to be shared among striker class essences.

(can't confirm these mechanics)
    Thanks.

Anecdotally, ive seen my fire and frost essences go off in quick succession. I dont think they share a cooldown. Not tried two frost essences but I have less hope for that.
    Argendauss, Captain
    Rechart, Warden
    Hrodgart, Beorning
    Gunnart, Guardian

Max proc of 2 looks to be shared among striker class essences.
    Maybe you're aware of this, but to clarify for anyone reading: these new Striking essences, 3 of which come from rep barter and others come from t2+ raid, dont share a category with the Fury class essence we've had for a while now. The Precise Striker's Moonlit Trigger Essence as a Fury essence, not a Striking essence despite the name, stacks with the new Stiking essences same as it does for a Beneficence essence.
    Argendauss, Captain
    Rechart, Warden
    Hrodgart, Beorning
    Gunnart, Guardian

Is the damage unconnected to mob sensitivity to different damage types from debuffs and trait/legacy combinations Giseldah?

Folks on discord are saying your own stats and legacies/traits (like +light damage) are having no effect. One would proc some on a dummy then take every piece of gear off but the trigger gear and do so again. I'll try to recreate tonight.

Seen multiple people say mit debuffs DO interact with the proc damage which makes sense because they're coded for damage type (tact subtypes light, fire, and frost). They're unsure about +X% incoming damage debuffs; on one hand thats counterintuitive, but on the other maybe predictable when realizing that +X% incoming damage is just the simultaneous debuffing of the targets incoming melee damage, incoming ranged damage, and incoming tact damage stats, and maybe these essences arent coded to have a damage source. Testing required though, should be supremely easy, telling mark on telling mark off.
    Argendauss, Captain
    Rechart, Warden
    Hrodgart, Beorning
    Gunnart, Guardian

Sounds like creeps would be posting by now if a random proc does a full 100k damage out of nowhere?

Yeah, I think the damage is mitigated like frost/fire/light damage produced by any skill(tactical effect). I don't see any difference.

I tested on a dummy with captain and loremaster. 127.8K per frost hit, 106.5K per fire hit. No interaction with my stats, no interaction with incoming damage debuffs, either all-around like Telling Mark or tactical source only like Warding Lore. Mitigation debuffs like AC do matter. This damage clearly has a damage type so that's why mits matter, but it must not be coded to have a damage source.
    Argendauss, Captain
    Rechart, Warden
    Hrodgart, Beorning
    Gunnart, Guardian

This is like the lv 100 lighting essence of Rune - Keeper I think. Affected by mobs stats, not affected by the wearer stats.

Early indications are they are a must on dps classes, useful on tanks/support, and a probably not for healers. At a cost of only 50 of the new currency, they are definitely worthwhile. Personally I'm running a Fire and Frost essence on my Jeweled Bell that gets passed between characters.

Looking at my Champ numbers after our T2 KD runs, they are typically somewhere between the 4th and 7th highest source of damage, which is saying something. Both proc approximately the same number of times in every fight with rare exceptions and the Frost does a little more damage (not surprising on a fire boss).

I threw it on my Captain tank for a T3 Harrowing/Roost for fun and the numbers were comical: 90% of my damage came from the essences. Not quite as high as having another dps class but a meaningful contribution in place of a couple of vitality essences. Yes, non-damaging taunts can proc them.

I've heard that a Beorning used Relentless Maul and accidentally damaged their own fellowship with the essences. I haven't confirmed that myself but that seems more likely to be a bug with that particular skill than something that will affect all healing skills. Still, in my experience Rune-Keeper and Minstrel healers are rarely hitting the boss with skills, so they are less likely to be contributing the way tanks and support are.

Seems like they have fixed damage that is only affected by the targets mits. Definitely good on dps classes, and even tanks i would say.

Heres the numbers I got against a target that I believed had no mits.

Frost-213,750 damage
    Flame-178,126 damage
    Light-85,197 damage

Kind of curious on what the other strike essences exclusive to the new raid compare. Theres at least one that "encases your target in burning light" for 10 seconds with a 5 second cooldown, as well as another that "grants you a morale regeneration effect" for 10 seconds. Would be nice if anyone has more info on these

If they are providing a significant proportion of damage on well tuned characters what will be the percentage on the unseasoned?

Is this an attempt to close the gap between the haves and have nots? Wandering around with 890 DPS stat on your weapon and 100% Mastery and suddenly you get to kill stuff that usually sends you to the rezz circle. Does pre-suppose they have the where-with-all to find and slot them ofc...

Are LM and Burg mezzes and other CC/fears in the proc list with the taunts?

Don't get me wrong I'm all for throwing some chaos into the mix for some fun. Bit OP on Blue hunter as procs take care of trailing melee while clearing ranged and casters...

Sounds like it will soon be on the nerf list like happened to flash of light. Any class with even a short distance ranged attack can now circle strafe a group of mobs to death with one or two of these at very little risk.

Put these very nice trinkets in to get non VIP to buy in then whoosh find out they are OP.

Question: is each mob attacked in an AoE skill like raging blade a “to hit” chance?
    Last edited by JERH; Jun 12 2021 at 09:32 AM.

I observe and think

"so dps goes up and support debuffs go down"

This seems irrational unless you are trying to take the whole game towards being a dps fest because that's your perceived demographic of players and dps race is the simplest way to change levels of difficulty.
    Mithithil Ithryndi

I slotted one of each in one of the 3 slot chest pieces. I was hoping i’d get some random combination of 2 triggering. But I only ever get the first two slotted ones triggering. It gives quite a kick when they trigger though. My dps guard was pulling agro really easy a few times when it triggered right at the start on a big group of mobs. They would all turned off the tank and get me good. Which wasn’t happening when I just had phys mastery essences slotted.

in other words:

The place, where the damage is created, is on target or caster ?
    Can it be procced by DoT ?

Commander Liliam - the Warden
    Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by BigLotroFan View Post
    I slotted one of each in one of the 3 slot chest pieces. I was hoping i’d get some random combination of 2 triggering. But I only ever get the first two slotted ones triggering. It gives quite a kick when they trigger though. My dps guard was pulling agro really easy a few times when it triggered right at the start on a big group of mobs. They would all turned off the tank and get me good. Which wasn’t happening when I just had phys mastery essences slotted.
    Thanks for reporting on 3! Yeah they're gnarly.

I shouldnt say this out loud, but they could be halved and still be a net dps gain over an extra crit essence to someone capped on offensive stats. Devs should take a light touch there though, it's ok to be a little op in the twilight of a level cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilda View Post
    The place, where the damage is created, is on target or caster ?
    Can it be procced by DoT ?
    Of the runic essences from the vendor: Centered on target, procced by attacks including autoattacks and initial skill hits but not dot effects. Before u30.0.1, proc chance was evaluated once per cast, not per target. So if you would AoE on 4 targets it was all-or-nothing chance per essence to put the radiating burst on each target of the AoE where each burst would then splash over to the other 3 targets. Patch notes seem to address that but unclear how it will shake out. Presumably in that situation maybe 1 of 4 targets will burst, or 3, or 2, or 0--not just 4 or 0 like it's been.
    Last edited by Omen_Kaizer; Jun 16 2021 at 10:04 AM.
    Argendauss, Captain
    Rechart, Warden
    Hrodgart, Beorning
    Gunnart, Guardian

It's a long long way away from those old fights where I'd remove any reflect gear, equip a butter knife for an occasional Guardian's Ward, switch off auto attack and use non damage threat skills to best fulfil my role in the encounter. The joy of pre-Rohan mechanics raiding.

Will raiding be akin to being at a party where everyone has flatulence and you never know where the silent and deadly one could be coming from. Hope the incoming changes address the issues. Going to be a pain checking out all our skills to narrow down those that are proc enabled or not. Nightmare for mezz classes, hope everyone has the status break hooked up or I can see some arguments ahead.