We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Refreshing Motivating Speech

For any Cappys that are frustrated by the changes to Motivating Speech and have trouble remembering to refresh the skill, I posted a sample alert definition for the Alerter plugin:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...57#post8078257

This will pop up a reminder in the center of the screen with a message and quickslot 20 seconds before it expires to allow you to easily keep Motivating Speech up at all times. Clicking on the skill will dismiss the alert so it doesn't get in the way any longer than necessary (be sure to click the "Hide after Click" option).

Note, the "Show At Mouse" option seems to be broken in the plugin at this time, I'm looking into that.

The plugin can be downloaded at:
    https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...=609#cmnt21406

or installed with Plugin Compendium (I highly recommend using Plugin Compendium for anyone new to plugins):
    https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...nfo.php?id=663
    Last edited by Garan; Jun 09 2021 at 12:48 PM.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SniperCT View Post
    Thank you!
    You're Welcome.

I thought you were going to give us all a refreshing, motivating speech.

Quote Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
    I thought you were going to give us all a refreshing, motivating speech.
    lol
    Erendil 50 Hunter Rank 7, Mavellen 45 Warden; Officers of Disciples
    Ragaroth Warleader Rank 7, Marhawk Stalker Rank 5; Members of Cuddle Squad
    Other Characters: Arthilius - Captain, Arthilias - Guardian,
    Claireth - Runekeeper, Harbuckle - Burglar, Lothlirien - Hunter

At first, thanks for this nice little plugnin. But instead of programming a little plugin, that reminds me to refresh Motivating Speech, better do another Revamp to Motivating Speech. Better get the CD for 5 mins and the Buff duration for half an hour instead of 5 mins. which fight where a captain is in, lasts 5 mins?
    Sorry for my bad english, i´m from Germany.

I don't mind it that much since we can use it moving and it's raid-wide, reminds me of way back when captains had to cast the individual buffs but less obnoxious.

5 minute duration is too short though. Should be 10 minimum.

why not leave the skill alone and just have it work raid wide?
    "Argle-bargle morble whoosh?"

Quote Originally Posted by YvainBlakhart View Post
    why not leave the skill alone and just have it work raid wide?
    Because that would likely create more lag in a raid since the skill had to be constantly updated as players entered/exited range, joined/left the raid, etc. Making it a duration skill eliminates all those updates. I have no problem with the need to make it a durational skill, but make it so that it can auto re-apply one second before the end of its duration, effectively getting the best of both worlds. Only one update to each current member of the raid but acts almost like the toggle skill it used to be. At the very least, let the duration be a bit longer, like 10 or 15 minutes, long enough to stay in effect for most instances without needing babysitting (yes, I would prefer not to have to rely on my plugin )

I noticed that buffs proc after the animation, whereas before they procced immediately on cast. It makes it a bit awkward to recast for recently revived tanks when they're going to benefit from it a few seconds later.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000001ddbef/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

10 minute duration would have been more agreeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhoris_they_spider View Post
    10 minute duration would have been more agreeable.
    This change SSG made is absolutely frustrating. From "unlimited time" to "5 minutes" is not a good change. It should be 30 minutes or 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post
    Because that would likely create more lag in a raid since the skill had to be constantly updated as players entered/exited range, joined/left the raid, etc. Making it a duration skill eliminates all those updates. I have no problem with the need to make it a durational skill, but make it so that it can auto re-apply one second before the end of its duration, effectively getting the best of both worlds. Only one update to each current member of the raid but acts almost like the toggle skill it used to be. At the very least, let the duration be a bit longer, like 10 or 15 minutes, long enough to stay in effect for most instances without needing babysitting (yes, I would prefer not to have to rely on my plugin )
    Now, it has to constantly be updated every 5 minutes...
    How does that make it less of a lag or update issue?

IF it HAS to now be a durational skill, at least make it 30 minutes long, as it was before it was made a toggle. We will have come full circle but at least no worse off than when initially released.

BuffMonitor with Quickslots is another option:
    https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...fo.php?id=1069

Even BuffBars will help although you need to remain more alert.

I played my Captain a little yesterday. It was really annoying to recast Motivating Speech all the time. I get that it needs to be a castable buff with a duration in order to work raid-wide. And I also get that the duration has to be short to prevent exploiting where a Captain casts the buff and then gets replaced in the group with some other character to run the instance or encounter. And maybe if it always had a 5min duration I wouldn’t care too much. But it was pretty annoying, relative to the way it was a week ago, especially when riding around and only getting into combat now and then.

If I ran the world (or SSG, anyway), I would:
    1- When a Captain is alone or in a group that is not part of a raid, Motivating Speech acts as a toggle skill.
    2- When a Captain is in a group that is part of a raid, Motivating Speech changes to a castable raid-wide buff with a 10-minute duration and a 1-minute cooldown. (Is there any raid boss encounter that is supposed to take more than 10min? Increase the duration in that case.)
    3- When any character leaves the raid, perform a check: If there is no character of class=Captain in the raid group, remove the buffs Motivated and In Defense of Middle Earth from all units remaining in that raid group.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Jun 11 2021 at 05:05 PM. Reason: NEEDS not NEED

Is there tech in place to support changing the skill back to a toggle skill that applies to all fellow or raid members within range and which checks that range every 5 minutes? If you're out of range at that pulse then the skill effects drop. That would keep the desired 5 minute cut-off enforced and allow the skill to revert back to a set-it-and-forget-it toggle.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

At the friday's livestream some people asked to change the duration time of motivations speech. They said they can't talk about class changes in the livestream. I hope, SSG will change it. It's absolutely horrible to refresh the skill every 5 minutes. Please change it to 60 minutes, or even 30!