We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Angry The Curator...WTAF?

So yeah, I am really ticked off. This game has been my main source of entertainment for almost 14 years. I have a 5 VIP accounts which I spend a poop-ton of money on in subscription fees & LP purchases. So, there was this thing I really needed and it's only available as a random drop from the highest level of lootbox (121-130) or from the Curator. I spend my figments and motes so I was at about zero when the Curator FINALLY came out for the Anniversary Event. Needless to say, I started grinding out those Figments (because if I could pay real money for them, I would have). One would expect that the Curator would be out during the entire Anniversary event and the day that I finally had enough Figments to buy what I have long been waiting for, she is pulled from the game!!! The Anniversary event still has another week to go, so SSG...this feels like a huge FU to me and the enormous amount of money that I support your company with every year. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Conanov View Post
    ... So, there was this thing I really needed and it's only available as a random drop from the highest level of lootbox (121-130) or from the Curator....

I believe you've provided the explanation in your own post.

This post reminded me why I'm glad that money can't buy everything

So yeah, I am really ticked off. This game has been my main source of entertainment for almost 14 years. I have a 5 VIP accounts which I spend a poop-ton of money on in subscription fees & LP purchases. So, there was this thing I really needed and it's only available as a random drop from the highest level of lootbox (121-130) or from the Curator. I spend my figments and motes so I was at about zero when the Curator FINALLY came out for the Anniversary Event. Needless to say, I started grinding out those Figments (because if I could pay real money for them, I would have). One would expect that the Curator would be out during the entire Anniversary event and the day that I finally had enough Figments to buy what I have long been waiting for, she is pulled from the game!!! The Anniversary event still has another week to go, so SSG...this feels like a huge FU to me and the enormous amount of money that I support your company with every year. Thanks.

The patch notes clearly stated she was leaving on the 2nd May. I really do not understand the furore over this. People had plenty of time. I saved up motes, embers and figments so that I could spend 30k from the off.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

To me, it's stupid that the Curator isn't always in the game. Maybe have him/her visit various places, but he/she shouldn't just vanish from Middle Earth for months at a time. That just annoys players, and I can't see how it even makes money for SSG.

There is no reward for devotion. You do at least have the freedom to spite your face and unsub some. Something that has never been seen to have a jot of influence, others usually willing to take up the slack.

If it means so much why have you not prepared?

Hey SSG how about introducing a debt mechanic into the game. Loans of any currency at 10% a week and lock accounts that default after 6 months with a commensurate cash unlock? Too much of a stretch?

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    To me, it's stupid that the Curator isn't always in the game. Maybe have him/her visit various places, but he/she shouldn't just vanish from Middle Earth for months at a time. That just annoys players, and I can't see how it even makes money for SSG.
    Black Steel Keys. If you are willing to spend cash on something you do actually need to figure out the mechanics of what you need to do when the figment vendor arrives.
    Last edited by Braer; May 04 2021 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellemere View Post
    The patch notes clearly stated she was leaving on the 2nd May. I really do not understand the furore over this. People had plenty of time. I saved up motes, embers and figments so that I could spend 30k from the off.
    I had around 34k ready to liquidate, but nothing appealing to barter...

Picture this: Grumpy old lady gets up from her rainy-day nap and starts to sign in to LOTRO.
    Decides to stop in at the forum on the way.
    Oh look, a new thread ... ... ...
    snorts her hot coffee up her nose laughing.

Ok. Let's slow this down for a moment. Most of us who watch for the Curator knows of its sporadic short life span. I generally keep this link here - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...s-The-Evidence - to show people that although she tends to appear with a festival, it does not mean she will stick around through the whole thing. In fact, there was an occasion the Curator appeared near the end of one. She doesn't always appear for every festival either.

And another thing I have to bring out: There is nothing new from the Curator from its last appearance during Harvestmath of last year. It was available for 12 days, the exact number of days you could do the festival daily quests every day for the 12-day wrapper... which by the way rewarded double the usual amount of 1000 figments of splendour every 3 days. If you are so dedicated, why didn't you get what you needed then?

Unlike the times before, we actually had advanced warning:

Posted April 4:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yes, I hear the Curator will be around for the Anniversary.
    The actual news report came here in the Beacon: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articl...acon-issue-200.

And for someone who was really cautious about the Curator, I would have kept a close eye on the Alert Thread: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...t-Thread/page3.

There are tons of people on the forums and the servers who will let people know when the Curator pops up and how long they have to get stuff. I was there on the server telling people "Last Day for Curator" hoping that my message helped someone. Yet, I had this sinking feeling that there would still be someone out there who would complain about missing out on buying something because they weren't paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellemere View Post
    Glad you had enough time.. I clearly didnt, And I just started running alts when i realized I was gonna have run more alts..

Shame I must have missed May 2nd date, I just assumed since she part of event she would be up during the event till its end date.

So basiclly all work I did last night to get abunch of Alts to 2/3 for 1st figments pay out.. was a total waste. YAYS!'

O well, 1st time in 11-12 years I've ever seen her, So pretty disappointed in her design... or new one at that.
    Capcom Stalker...
    English is not my 1st Language... So shhhh!

Possible VIP benefit - increased access to Curator or special merchants

The original poster has 5 VIP accounts and it made me think that a potential VIP benefit could be increased access to special vendors/Curator.

There is the technology for items to interact with only VIP/Subscribers in the game. There is the technology to have quests available only for VIP/Subscribers. There is the technology to have merchants/vendors interact only with VIP/Subscribers.

This could be done via an item that transports only VIP/Subscribers to some version of an "eyes n guard tavern" or a merchant/vendor coded like the VIP rewards to only interact with VIP/Subscribers or even added to the quest offerings of the VIP rewards vendor that is already located in-game.

I see that as a value add to VIP without being game breaking.

Just a suggestion :-)

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdJedi View Post
    Ok. Let's slow this down for a moment. Most of us who watch for the Curator knows of its sporadic short life span. I generally keep this link here - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...s-The-Evidence - to show people that although she tends to appear with a festival, it does not mean she will stick around through the whole thing. In fact, there was an occasion the Curator appeared near the end of one. She doesn't always appear for every festival either.

And another thing I have to bring out: There is nothing new from the Curator from its last appearance during Harvestmath of last year. It was available for 12 days, the exact number of days you could do the festival daily quests every day for the 12-day wrapper... which by the way rewarded double the usual amount of 1000 figments of splendour every 3 days. If you are so dedicated, why didn't you get what you needed then?

Unlike the times before, we actually had advanced warning:

Posted April 4:

The actual news report came here in the Beacon: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articl...acon-issue-200.

And for someone who was really cautious about the Curator, I would have kept a close eye on the Alert Thread: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...t-Thread/page3.

There are tons of people on the forums and the servers who will let people know when the Curator pops up and how long they have to get stuff. I was there on the server telling people "Last Day for Curator" hoping that my message helped someone. Yet, I had this sinking feeling that there would still be someone out there who would complain about missing out on buying something because they weren't paying attention.
    Yes, some of us know how the Curator works, but some don't. they don't know about her erratic appearances, when or where she will appear and for how long. they don't know about the threads alerting forum users about it either. And really, when we get an official statement on the forum that says "Yes, I hear the curator will be around for the anniversary", nobody could blame them for thinking that she will be around for the anniversary, which hasn't ended yet.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseekre View Post
    The original poster has 5 VIP accounts and it made me think that a potential VIP benefit could be increased access to special vendors/Curator.

There is the technology for items to interact with only VIP/Subscribers in the game. There is the technology to have quests available only for VIP/Subscribers. There is the technology to have merchants/vendors interact only with VIP/Subscribers.

This could be done via an item that transports only VIP/Subscribers to some version of an "eyes n guard tavern" or a merchant/vendor coded like the VIP rewards to only interact with VIP/Subscribers or even added to the quest offerings of the VIP rewards vendor that is already located in-game.

I see that as a value add to VIP without being game breaking.

Just a suggestion :-)
    YES, and Thank you! Cordovan and Severlin made a big deal on CORD OF THE RINGS a bit back by making improvements to reward VIPs for them actually spending money on the game. Not just subscription fees (which I pay x5) but also in buying massive amounts of LP. Right now I get Swift Travel, a Gold Hobbit Gift every Thursday (and I consider it a gigantic FU when I get fracking Dwarf Candles as a Gold Gift...how dare you?) and the ability to BUY things like Shared Storage. Yes, I am bitching about VIP lack of benefits, but as a VIP (especially with 5 accounts) should I not be allowed to do so? Granted, no one is holding a gun to my head and making me pay for what I do, but does that also mean that I can't voice my extreme displeasure over things like not having the Curator out for an entire festival? I think there are many paying customers who don't have the time to read all the fine details in the forums, the Beacon, etc. Should we have to be penalized for paying the salaries of SSG and then getting screwed because we didn't read the fine print of materials NOT POSTED in the actual game itself?

I agree the curator should be more available.

I remind people that care about this to read the patch notes - SSG said exactly how long the curator would be up for it was no secret.

I note that there are several ways to get figments of splendor fairly rapidly for some players.

1. If you have Three Peaks grind the mission dailies/weeklies for motes or embers and convert them to figments. Any level 20 or higher can do the missions and a new character can be raised to 20 rather fast by cooking/farming. Missions are easy since the lower the character level the less challenging they are.

2. If you get three or four keys from veteran rewards as many of us do - speed level new characters to 20, use the keys on traveller lootboxes, delete and repeat. Each lootbox gives a random amount of motes, one item that can be destroyed for motes and one item that can be destroyed for figments. Sometimes two figment items.