We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I raised a thread in the suggestions forum and myself and others are adding ideas there too.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...h-of-fresh-air
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Every crafting tier that represents at least 10 levels should grant recipes for one full set of armor and jewelry as a base and have another full set which is purchasable from craft vendors. None of these recipes should require any hard to acquire components. This used to be the norm, but now crafters often have to have guild or faction rep (or both) to craft even one full set. I suspect the cost of creating all of the new art assets for multiple armor types was the primary reason since otherwise items can for the most part just be based on the previous tier with appropriately improved stats. Fortunately, the issue of art asset costs has an easy, and free, solution . . . reuse existing armor art. While this may not be ideal, it is definitely preferable to not having the new items at all. I personally wouldn't mind if these armor sets all used the same basic art set since they would represent what was created with basic crafting skills.

For me, this issue is a large part of why, although I have played off and on (mostly off) since near launch, I keep losing interest after my characters have reached Moria. I'll decide to give the game another try, play for a few months, and then get frustrated with crafting and quit for a few years. I'm only back now because I needed to move my characters off of Ithil.

Quote Originally Posted by Raninia View Post
    I don't think we need a document per se, but would love to get broad sense of what y'all enjoy about crafting and what things you don't. That said, just because you give us feedback - some of which will undoubtedly be contradictory - doesn't mean we'll do the specific thing you specifically asked for.
    In my view, crafting has basically become a patchwork of afterthoughts and bloated ingredient requirements in the higher tiers. Some examples:
    - Every armour recipe in higher tiers, even the most basic ones, require several "rare" ingredients (shards generally) to make one piece
    - Some crafts are not consistent with how their materials are handled. Jeweller, in particular, have many recipes that don't require you to process the gems, and some that do. Watery Ithilharns, introduced when Vales of Anduin released, still are not used in any crafting recipe.
    - Some crafted items are just "forgotten" as new item levels of crafting are introduced to a given tier. For example, armour has undergone a few additions as the item levels have increased, but we haven't see as many additions when it comes to off hand weapons, shields, and class items

Crafting was at its best when it was consistent and easier to get into. Some advice I would give:
    - Keep crafting in its initial releases simple. When a new tier is released, it should have at minimum 2 sets of gear, one for use at the beginning of the level cap (which may be worse that quest gear), and another for use when reaching the level cap (which may be better than quest gear). This later set should be roughly equivalent to gear you could get in a T1 instance run. This would be what could be considered "basic" gear
    - Restrict the usage of rare ingredients to what could be considered "non-basic" gear recipes (ie. recipes for improved level cap gear sets)
    - Ensure that, when a new ilevel of gear is introduced, everything related to ilevels in included in the pass. This includes armour sets, off hand weapons, shields, class items, etc.
    - Ensure all crafting materials have some kind of use

Something that would earn the team some bonus points:
    - Ensure consumables from previous tiers are also craftable at the newest tier, even if there's no improvement on the actual item. This just helps promote the usage of new crafting materials without requiring you to go back and farm lower level areas for consumable materials. I would say this doesn't necessarily need to apply to cosmetic items, as those are a kind of specialty items.

It's not a big thing, but something that immediately comes to mind is: when a quest requires a crafted item, it should also accept the critted version of the same item. I don't feel people should be penalized because they are lucky enough to get a crit when crafting. I've even resorted to swapping out my crafting tools for the "inferior" ones with a lower crit rate, just to avoid wasting mats for a crafting quest. Seems rather perverse.

Crafting has been garbage since they moved away from all crafts having a full set of yellow and purple options immediately available with teal options using harder-to-get components. I used to spend a lot of time crafting but have basically given it up except for occasional consumables.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by Dolamrothdame View Post
    I agree about having crafted armor available at every level cap. And that's basic armor that's better than quest drops.

Also, I'd like to see some decor items added back in that we can craft. Perhaps another elven furniture set that isn't bright red. At the very least, craftable floor paints that match the crafted wall paints would be a wonderful option. Also, red floor and wall paint. And please make these basic items that don't require kin rep or special ingredients.
    We got some barter recipes in Vales and MM for housing items. The mat requirement is insane though. Maybe somebody added a 0 by accident? Sadly that is prohibitive in sharing these items with fellow housing lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    We got some barter recipes in Vales and MM for housing items. The mat requirement is insane though. Maybe somebody added a 0 by accident? Sadly that is prohibitive in sharing these items with fellow housing lovers.
    Every item that was available for crafting in the Vales required a raid item. Even Ered Mithrin, and Minas Morgul recipes require shards for the most basic of gear. For all caps above 115, they ensured that crafting gear sets for alts, or more importantly, for friends and kinnies who were trying to catch up is as expensive as possible in the way of materials and special ingredients. Sorry, can't help you out as I don't have shards, or rimes. That means they have to spend ages running old content to get dailies open, and then ages doing those dailies to get gear before they can move on, often reaching the next level cap, before they get gear from the previous one. Unless of course - they opt for motes gear via the fast motes route.

In a nutshell, since Mordor (and coincidently the removal of in game earned keys), they killed crafting to incentivise the requirement for the use of motes and embers.

Another area of crafting that has taken a dive is crafting through ingredient packs. Previously to crafting being culled, whenever there was a new tier of crafting introduced, everything on the previous tier could then be crafted using ingredient packs (all bound to account of course). Not anymore though. Everything below Minas Ithil tier should be available to craft with ingredient packs now, but none of it is. Purchasing the ingredient crates in store is now a complete waste of LP.
    Last edited by Arnenna; Jun 12 2021 at 02:21 AM.

unfortunately everything is now gated behind the mentality of gaining extra income through the store. It doesn't matter that some folks are VIP and should demand a better service in these parts of the game.

All end game recipes by and far, either require you to complete 6/12 mans to gain components or buy them. Most of the recipes are to make components to other things that can only be purchased in the store... oh sorry yes... how silly of me... there is a 0.00001% chance for a landscape drop too.. [thumbs up]

I don't want there to be a huge divide between premium and VIP (hate that term) but I do think that the reason that the VIP offering looks so bad now is because of things like crafting that have been watered down purposefully over the years to encourage folks to be either filtered down one path in end game and/or to increase the revenue through the store >>>> at the expense of folks who already pay for that service through their subscription.

As has been mooted already in previous post... if the staffer who created the original system is still on board, get them front and centre in your considerations for a revamp... If not, well then you really need to create a bunch of characters and pick a vocation on each and spend an hour a day (whilst in a zoom meeting) working your way through with no accelerators and also join the guild once at level... only then will you even begin to get 10% of the real joy this used to bring to folks....

The other 90% came from depending on what the player enjoyed... for me it was creating something that my Kin and I could actually use out in the game... for others it was creating the few items for their houses or dyes for clothing back when it wasn't as easy to stand out in the crowd. For others it was the thrill of selling things created by yourself and that other folks really wanted and playing the auction house game......

If you remember one thing our new prod.... Crafting used to appeal to every game play type - we all used to use the system... whether we were raiders, pvp'rs, casual grouping, solo, roleplayers.... etc... etc.. ... we all needed something be that scrolls or pots or dyes or armour or weapons or pocket items or jewellery and the list goes on.....

Most of that has been lost and is there actually any reason for anybody to bring a crafter up anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Every item that was available for crafting in the Vales required a raid item. Even Ered Mithrin, and Minas Morgul recipes require shards for the most basic of gear. For all caps above 115, they ensured that crafting gear sets for alts, or more importantly, for friends and kinnies who were trying to catch up is as expensive as possible in the way of materials and special ingredients. Sorry, can't help you out as I don't have shards, or rimes. That means they have to spend ages running old content to get dailies open, and then ages doing those dailies to get gear before they can move on, often reaching the next level cap, before they get gear from the previous one. Unless of course - they opt for motes gear via the fast motes route.

In a nutshell, since Mordor (and coincidently the removal of in game earned keys), they killed crafting to incentivise the requirement for the use of motes and embers.

Another area of crafting that has taken a dive is crafting through ingredient packs. Previously to crafting being culled, whenever there was a new tier of crafting introduced, everything on the previous tier could then be crafted using ingredient packs (all bound to account of course). Not anymore though. Everything below Minas Ithil tier should be available to craft with ingredient packs now, but none of it is. Purchasing the ingredient crates in store is now a complete waste of LP.
    Not the housing items. I made some for my houses but the normal mat requirement is very high, 70 gathered mats to make 1 item. Sadly you are right with the gear which is the reason why I won't make it. The new crafted relic requires shards as well to buy and gundabad + guild reputation. It's like the make the recipes just for those who get the items anyways.

I haven't bought more then 1 key in the store early on to see what the fuss is about. I rather stop then go that route.

I have missed the lack of ingredient packs being usable in lower crafting levels. Was just thinking the other day that using these for the housing items, I could gift some of them to others. But due to health restrictions I have only logged in to check for the new housing items.
    Last edited by wispsong; Jun 13 2021 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    Not the housing items. I made some for my houses but the normal mat requirement is very high, 70 gathered mats to make 1 item. Sadly you are right with the gear which is the reason why I won't make it. The new crafted relic requires shards as well to buy and gundabad + guild reputation. It's like the make the recipes just for those who get the items anyways.

I haven't bought more then 1 key in the store early on to see what the fuss is about. I rather stop then go that route.

I have missed the lack of ingredient packs being usable in lower crafting levels. Was just thinking the other day that using these for the housing items, I could gift some of them to others. But due to health restrictions I have only logged in to check for the new housing items.
    Neither the Vales, nor Minas Ithil housing items can be made using ingredient packs. Gear, cannot be crafted with ingredient packs since (and including) Mordor onwards. It's not as if they forgot to add them either, because if that were the case the whole tier would be the same, but, we can use ingredients on certain items.

Quote Originally Posted by Raninia View Post
    I don't think we need a document per se, but would love to get broad sense of what y'all enjoy about crafting and what things you don't. That said, just because you give us feedback - some of which will undoubtedly be contradictory - doesn't mean we'll do the specific thing you specifically asked for.
    The thing I enjoy most about crafting is being to help others. A few months ago (before one of the festivals) I made and gave away about 150-200 fishing rods. I got to know some new people, made a lot of people happy, and other players started sending me the raw components so I could make more. It gives a sense of community. I've enjoyed doing this since the early days of Everquest.

This game allowed us to help up to tier 9 - and then things started to go south. It would be nice for crafters (all of them) to have tier 10, 11, 12 and 13 recipes that while not as good as raid level, were still useful adventurers as they go through their progression.

We don't even need fancy new designs, just use existing ones, and come up with some stats that are useful but not too high as to annoy grinders.

Apart from that (which is #1 for me) having some new cosmetics especially for the houses would be nice - but some of that needs some changes to housing. For instance, creating gardens would be nice (new hobby) and all the crafters could have things to make for that (flowers of course, but also walls, paths, benches, fountains, etc.) Building gardens is very British and hence very Tolkien.

Last edited by SavinDwarf; Jun 22 2021 at 11:08 AM.
    The key to success is preparation,
    The key to preparation is practice,
    The key to practice is Guinness!

Crafting after Moria is horrible.. I have to say.. everything Pre-Moria is awesome.. the recipe grind is boring, and a big waste of time.. i like the idea of recipes requiring reputation to obtain.. but you should be able to craft a set of armor every 10 levels from recipes that you buy from the metalsmith for coin.. THEN, have better recipes that require rep, ect.
    Exploring Middle-earth, 1 Blog post at a time
    http://middleearthchronicles.wordpres s.com
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Doug111973 Twitter: @doug200463

Quote Originally Posted by zombie3000 View Post
    Crafting after Moria is horrible.. I have to say.. everything Pre-Moria is awesome.. the recipe grind is boring, and a big waste of time.. i like the idea of recipes requiring reputation to obtain.. but you should be able to craft a set of armor every 10 levels from recipes that you buy from the metalsmith for coin.. THEN, have better recipes that require rep, ect.
    To add.. the Crafting guilds need reworking IMO.. we have to go out and gather materials, to grind up the crafting skill.. then gather more resources to grind out guild reputation.. a metal-smith or a tailor have to grind for weeks to get enough symbols to craft 6 pieces of gear.. I understand it shouldnt be easy... but it should also be fun to do.. currently its not..

I would also like to comment about resource dungeons.. these are awesome.. we need more
    Exploring Middle-earth, 1 Blog post at a time
    http://middleearthchronicles.wordpres s.com
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Doug111973 Twitter: @doug200463

Angry The lack of end game (achievable) crafting ruined this game.

So I came back to the game after a year away.

And upon my champ reaching level 120 I went to craft him a set of heavy armour.

Nothing. Then I looked around on how to get my toons geared up from level 120 - 130. Instances. Raids. Daily garbage.

What a waste. Looks like Standing Stones don't want me to play anymore.

13 years. And it's truly over.

I'll take my $200 I spend on gaming a month elsewhere.
    Mac OS player!

Oi. I don't mean to be overly critical, and I appreciate the dev response, but this game has been going for years. We shouldn't have to be revisiting 'what makes crafting good' in a game over a decade old. That notion is troublesome in and of itself.

That being said, there are bound to be changes in crafting as new content comes out and levels rise. Still, I find it hard to believe we need to "tweak" a core component of an mmo this old by wondering "what makes it fun." That's pretty shocking.

That being said, I think there are some core specifics Lotro has tried to change, for better of for worse, such as rare components that aren't really rewarding.

Crafting, to me, starts out as a solo endeavor. It takes time, money, and dedication to begin on the path, and with greater gains come greater rewards. I can understand introducing new rare elements for top tier gear, but when every decent piece of gear involves instances/raiding/an hour of or more of gathering materials, as well as the rep to buy the recipes, isn't that just out sorts based on the original premise of crafting? Especially considering the rate this gear will become absolute and, in the case of lower-level stuff, is often not as good as quest gear?

There's a disconnect between the basic idea of crafting, assembling resources over time in a slow manner for viable gear/items, and the other facets of the game. Why does there need to be overlap in what is already tantamount to being an in-game money and time sink, an overlap that somehow corresponds to instancing which should have NOTHING to do with crafting save for very specific circumstances? At that why do need to constantly buy our way into our own craft time and time, spending money on components and in-game quest resources to buy recipes that then require time and effort to prep? I had to buy my way into evening being able to craft armour at the Minas Ithil teir. I had to buy my way into being able to craft something before I crafted it.

Not to mention the payoff. An example.
    I made the elderslade packs and turned in the quest after a hiatus. Stupid me. It took 75 ingots and 5 ithilarn shards. For my trouble, I got 20 copper coins of Gundabad. That would be the cost of 2 recipes. I mean...seriously?

I enjoy crafting, I enjoy making something of value that others and I can use in the game. I'm willing to spend in-game coin and time on it, if there is an appropriate reward for my hard work. The above instance of the elderslad pack wasn't just poorly contrived, it's almost insulting, and really highlights the disconnects put forth in this thread by all the players.
    Last edited by Lonergan; Jul 30 2021 at 07:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2