We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What Are You Waiting For Stone?!

Returning player. I left before the great server merge in 2016 * forgive me if that's the wrong year* . SO I come back to find that I have some toons that I worked very hard on stuck in limbo on Withy ( deleted server).

I was told, " There isn't transfers from deleted servers available at this time" speech. So my question to you Stone folks, WHY has this not been available to players FIVE YEARS LATER?? Aside from you not caring and wanting people to start new toons so they can spend more money, is there a legit reason why you haven't taken the time to make this possible?
    I understand coding take time and man power, but... FIVE..WHOLE..YEARS.. and you still aren't offering it?

Please just be honest with players and straight up tell us, " SORRY WE DONT PLAN ON OFFERING DELTED SERVER TRANSFERS". Liars don't make friends..... *sigh* seems SWTOR will be taking all my money instead...
    Krahjarngladiator r10 reaver Spidermaan r10 weaver Shadowsfear r8 warg Vaineatter r8 Warleader Voodoomagoo r7 defiler Vilearrow r6 ba
    Arrowdain r7 hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Vaineater View Post
    Returning player. I left before the great server merge in 2016 * forgive me if that's the wrong year* . SO I come back to find that I have some toons that I worked very hard on stuck in limbo on Withy ( deleted server).

I was told, " There isn't transfers from deleted servers available at this time" speech. So my question to you Stone folks, WHY has this not been available to players FIVE YEARS LATER?? Aside from you not caring and wanting people to start new toons so they can spend more money, is there a legit reason why you haven't taken the time to make this possible?
    I understand coding take time and man power, but... FIVE..WHOLE..YEARS.. and you still aren't offering it?

Please just be honest with players and straight up tell us, " SORRY WE DONT PLAN ON OFFERING DELTED SERVER TRANSFERS". Liars don't make friends..... *sigh* seems SWTOR will be taking all my money instead...
    This was available for a long time it hasn't been sitting for 6 years (2015 was the merge not 16), and only recently in the last year or two they had to update server transfers after an issue and they are continuing to do, so the current plan is to bring back transfers off of closed worlds but they have bring the hardware upto date first and that taking time but they want to do it. so no it hasn't been as long as your saying.
    Last edited by Pontin_Finnberry; Apr 21 2021 at 06:03 PM.
    Pontin Level 130 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's some Screenshots of Middle-Earth taken over the years, and screenshots of different Cosmetic outfits I've put together.

And since it takes just a week or two or less to get an new character to the same level it isn't an issue for most of us. Mainly those that feel an emotional attachment (but not emotional enough to pull the character out of storage for the last 5-6 years) or that have some item or achievement that they *really* want on the abandoned character.

None of which is intended to downplay the importance to those that feel this way. But SSG is generally going to devote resources to things that affect many people not just a handful of people.

I sympathize - on a few occasions I have been among the relatively small minority who pretty much got ignored for that very reason.

I'll just put my repeated post here - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...t=#post8045429

I don't know why you blame the company. Technically, it was you who had 5 years to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdJedi View Post
    I'll just put my repeated post here - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...t=#post8045429

I don't know why you blame the company. Technically, it was you who had 5 years to do something.
    It doesn’t matter if a player has had 5 years or 10 years. It shouldn’t be broken as long as it has. Taking data from one database and putting it in another isn’t complicated. Regardless of what conversions they have to do now, it shouldn’t be taking this long.

It just shows they “broke” it whenever they changed formats and didn’t spend anytime on making sure their transfer tool worked. Just left as a todo.

I am sort of on the side of the IT support on this one. Sometimes the hardware is retired--and the data is on some tape somewhere if we're lucky, and we'd be even more lucky if someone was able to locate said tape and find something to stick it into, with software to read whatever is on the tape.

It's harder to just copy out of a database which isn't likely even accessible right now than one might make it seem easy to believe. Lots of people have more floppy disks than they do working floppy disk drives. And when servers are eliminated, usually a company chooses to not hang onto that hardware for very long. Sure, they may back up that data, but if it was intended to be readily accessible, it wouldn't have been made offline on purpose--and without a published due date for its restoration.

I stopped playing regularly like 8 years ago, but made sure to log in every few months (I actually *intended* to play, but my job and other real life things at the time made it hard to hang with the same crowd at the same times they all played). I had a character on the same server (Windfola I think--if it wasnt the same server, I at least had the same inconvenience), and I ended up moving the guy to other servers at least twice due to picking one that closed after I moved to it.

Anyway. Yeah it is a bummer. They have no way to track the interests or concerns of people that don't play or pay, though, so it is not entirely reasonable to expect anyone to take up arms in defense of the, even if valid, concerns that exist about characters paid, played, and lost due to lack of user engagement over the intervening years. I might have lucked out because I still kept logging in and kept aware of changes that required me to make a decision as a user--as a result, I still have my account, its points, and my character I play with. But I did have to keep an updated client installed to manage all of that, and check it now and then just to make sure I was still there.