We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Chars get CDT and become stuck at last homely house

It seems there is something going on there. Heard reports on /world and see a lot of characters that are on the last bridge before the last homely house.
    I managed to get away by reducing GFX and running backward out of the area. No idea if I was fast enough to avoid the crash (which takes 1 second or so) or if the GFX reduction did the job. I won't try again.

Others reported that reducing GFX was their solution.

Currently I see about 2-3 chars per minute that crash there.
    Last edited by thinx; Apr 19 2021 at 03:05 PM.

Update:
    Did the quests yesterday with full GFX settings and it was no problem. No patch in between, no layering at homely house. Just fewer players.

It seems displaying too many player chars with full graphics settings can lead to crashes. Did not try to find out which settings cause the problem, this is not my job :-)

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit executable? The 32-bit executable is limited in the amount of memory it can address relative to the 64-bit executable. That makes its performance inferior in many situations and can lead to instability. Many people report major improvements in their overall framerates and a reduction or elimination in their experience of spotty client behavior or straight-up crashes in busy areas such as Minas Tirith or wherever a popular festival is occurring.

You can choose between the 32-bit or 64-bit executable using the LOTRO launcher application. Or you can check your UserPreferences.ini file: Look for the line...
    GameClientType=X
    X is the numeral 1, 2, or 3. 1 is the standard 32-bit executable. 2 is the legacy 32-bit executable intended for use by those running very old versions of Windows such as Windows XP. 3 is the 64-bit executable. If X is not already 3, change it to 3 then test how well the client performs on that bridge or some other busy area with your graphics turned up high.

64-bit since we got it. (checked the ini to be sure)

On that first day I took the chance and stood right before the last bridge before the last homely house.
    Around 2/3 of chars that arrived got stuck on the bridge (same place where my char crashed). Running/riding in place, then vanishing when they tried to log in again.
    The solution for reducing graphics was discussed in /world and the number of chars that got stuck went down.
    Last edited by thinx; Apr 22 2021 at 10:12 AM.

Nice bit of nostalgia; when half the server would gather there for the hope buff. But in those days you all went off to the instance to play it, not all standing in the same place trying to talk to one over worked npc.

Quote Originally Posted by thinx View Post
    64-bit since we got it. (checked the ini to be sure)
    DirectX 10 has a lot of issues with water effects such as the spray around the bridge in Rivendell. (Among many other problems.) In those zones where it does not glitch, DirectX 10 is great. In those zones where it glitches, well, it's a problem.

If you are using DirectX 10, try DirectX 9 (which does have glitches but they are very minor and you might not even notice them) or DirectX 11 (which works very well, I've never experienced an issue with it, and it allows more eye candy; but it is not compatible with every graphics/driver combo especially integrated graphics). You can change the GraphicsCore=Y setting in your UserPreferences64.ini file or while in-game using the OPTIONS panel (you will need to quit out of and then restart the game in order for the GraphicsCore setting change made in OPTIONS to take effect).

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    DirectX 10 has a lot of issues with water effects such as the spray around the bridge in Rivendell. (Among many other problems.) In those zones where it does not glitch, DirectX 10 is great. In those zones where it glitches, well, it's a problem.
    First of all I use DX11, with very few issues. And second, I do not have problems in that area. I had problems in this area when there was high population. Which is no longer the case, so no problem.
    And I am not the only one that has these problems.
    During the normal game I experience a CTD probably every few months, so this is not one of the usual problems.
    I would guess the whole thing runs into some overflow, e.g. player cosmetic textures, object numbers or whatever.

The actual reason why I updated this thread was a hint to SSG. There might be a reason to find that problem and fix it. I guess they can easily populate the area at their test servers.

Haven't most of us had to adjust our settings to a point where the balance of display and crashes is acceptable to us and possibly a few times over the years? It's usually a case of lowering them but for rig improvements. Is it more than just how it's always been, just catching up with the flashy rig folk?

Quote Originally Posted by Braer View Post
    Haven't most of us had to adjust our settings to a point where the balance of display and crashes is acceptable to us and possibly a few times over the years? It's usually a case of lowering them but for rig improvements. Is it more than just how it's always been, just catching up with the flashy rig folk?
    Yes, it is. The way it looks to me it seems possible to crash other player's LOTRO by having sufficient players in one place. In this case it was solved by lowering graphics, but is that always enough? Or will it just need a few more players to CTD also with lower settings?
    I don't know if the problem is old or new. Maybe related to the new per pixel lightning. But imagine Weatherstock or something similar with the same problem. Or imagine a group of players going for "walks" in populated places, leaving a trail of crashed chars. Could be a regular walk. Or on purpose.

The point is that someone should take a look at this. It is something that can be triggered by player actions. It wouldn't be good to have something like this around.