We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A worry about links.

I just had a strange experience.
    I clicked on the link in my signature.
    It was a sort of test to verify that it continues to go where I intended.
    It did. And then, as usual, the YouTube AI informed me that I would be seeing another Live Grateful Dead clip in 3 minutes.
    I tried this a few times and every time It started at the same place and then continued to announce a live GD video that would commence in 3 minutes.
    I had a sort of epiphany.
    Anyone other than me probably gets different "continued" content.
    I get Grateful Dead shows, and everyone else gets what the AI has determined they want to see.
    It might be Lawrence Welk, or something about cults.
    I don't know.
    It makes me wonder…
    Am I being programmed by my choices?
    Is my computer/browser giving me back what I tell it to?

I am not sure that I like that idea.
    In fact, I think its not cool.
    I am going to research about how I can "disconnect" from this "not-chosen" choices thing.

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

Revise that 3 minutes to 10 seconds.

I always get Grateful Dead content, but then again I’ve been going to shows since ‘86, play in a Grateful Dead cover band, and operate a Grateful Dead loving business for the last 27 years.

Anyway divest from the Google infrastructure, run a different browser, and slay more Orcs.

I also got a Greatful Dead video. Although I'm a fan, I've never listened to the Dead on youtube before, so it's showing me what you wanted not what it thinks I would want. Hope that eases your mind a bit

I try to be super-careful when logged in as LOTRO or DDO to YouTube not to search for videos, but of course we live in times of mobile phones and Google account syncs and it is a challenge to be consistent all of the time. I bring it up because ONE TIME while logged in as DDO I watched the Airwolf Theme Song and Show Intro, and that branded account will forever only be recommended 80's TV theme songs as a result apparently.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I try to be super-careful when logged in as LOTRO or DDO to YouTube not to search for videos, but of course we live in times of mobile phones and Google account syncs and it is a challenge to be consistent all of the time. I bring it up because ONE TIME while logged in as DDO I watched the Airwolf Theme Song and Show Intro, and that branded account will forever only be recommended 80's TV theme songs as a result apparently.
    This is brilliant!

Look on the bright side, it could have been much worse ...

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I just had a strange experience.
    I am going to research about how I can "disconnect" from this "not-chosen" choices thing.
    Log out of Youtube. (Or basically, log out of Google-anything, because if you are logged on to GMail, and you go to Youtube, you remain logged in to Google).

Your account remembers videos you have watched, videos you have favorited, channels you have followed, and bases content off of that. I have recently started collecting vinyl and bought a record player, and I researched on youtube what turntable to get, how to balance the tone arm and stylus, what records to get, etc, etc..... so now a lot of my content present to me are related to vinyl and records. A month ago I was bored and watched a bunch of videos with Karen freakouts, so now I see some of those in the mix, and a month before that I was watching a bunch of Geography Now videos (great channel btw) and as such I get a lot of geography related stuff from other channels as well. In between all of this I listen to a lot of FULL albums, so I get music presented to me. Personally I do not mind, as it gives me things to watch I might be interested in, and often it will!

The only way to prevent this from happening is to ensure you are logged out of anything Google completely before you go to Youtube. (This will includes other Google apps on your phone, which probably sucks if you have an Android, because the whole thing is connected to Google)
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    You may be able to clean up that DDO account with this link: https://myactivity.google.com/activitycontrols/youtube

(Also good for anyone else wanting to clean up their Youtube history)
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    You may be able to clean up that DDO account with this link: https://myactivity.google.com/activitycontrols/youtube

(Also good for anyone else wanting to clean up their Youtube history)
    Yeah, I surely could have, although I've actually found value in knowing that if the YouTube page is full of 80's TV theme songs then I am logged into the DDO account.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

People really see ads from here on youtube? Do people really just stay logged into stuff? Isn't that like what parents are supposed to spook their kids about and share horrible examples of privacy violations and creepy ads to keep the kids from oversharing?

Quote Originally Posted by nu2war View Post
    I also got a Greatful Dead video. Although I'm a fan, I've never listened to the Dead on youtube before, so it's showing me what you wanted not what it thinks I would want. Hope that eases your mind a bit
    Okay. Thanks for the feedback.
    I'm sure that the "target" link goes to the correct place: He's Gone (Foxboro, MA 7/2/89) (Official Live Video).

What I am less sure about is the choice given after that video completes.

YouTube starts another video for me in about 10 seconds: Grateful Dead - Live at Foxboro 7/2/89 [Full Concert].

I am wondering if everyone gets that feed next, or does YouTube start something else?

You can check this by just clicking to the end of the Target video and waiting a few seconds to see what they offer (or feed) you.

For me the video just ends. Nothing auto-plays afterwards. However. If you look at the bottom of the video, where the volume controls etc. are, there's an auto-play toggle. If you have that set to on then you do indeed get a "next video will play in x seconds" thing. If I turn that on I get this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uYVPvtLan0
    Last edited by Altair6; Apr 07 2021 at 07:09 AM.

I must really confuse the heck out of these algorithms watching CNN and then jumping to a Fox news vid for some laughs. As I don't profess to like or dislike nor thumbs up or down and rarely follow then without a camera pointing at me to judge my responses or have an interface plugged into the back of my head they'll struggle somewhat. Having my prime email with a little know ISP rather than with a major media supplier might help things, g-mail not ever very subtle with it's adds targeting just seconds after the event. Until they actually know what you are thinking then they will fail. Which ever pill you choose has consequences, Mr Anderson or Neo?

Whether it's innocently using Facebook or moving around in a covid-19 world you're just providing camouflage to hide the ne'er-do-wells and super spreaders when you think about it. I hope I'm long gone before the Ideocracy is established.