We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Per Pixel Ill Effects inside KinHouse

Is there some sort of reason why you added slime to the Memory Wallpaper/Surface? The Per Pixel Effect seems to have made my cool room into a horror house.

https://ibb.co/HYgPHrh

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdJedi View Post
    Is there some sort of reason why you added slime to the Memory Wallpaper/Surface? The Per Pixel Effect seems to have made my cool room into a horror house.

https://ibb.co/HYgPHrh
    Well, by the instance on what it is inspired, it is suppose to be creepy looking. Slimmy walls are expected inside a cave like that instance.

I've found that most floor surfaces and rugs, as well as a few wall surfaces, have been significantly altered since Update 29. Carpets, rugs, fancy walls - they're all hideous now.

One of the expected by products of changing how lighting works is that some textures might not display as expected. This is a HUGE game with well over a decade of assets created for it - please know that this kind of change in appearance is not intended and as we find or are made aware of specific issues, we will work to resolve them.

For this issue specifically, I just checked in a fix for the issue with the Halls of Memory wall and floor surfaces and those fixes will be in the next bug fix patch. As for other wallpapers or floor surfaces, please let us know which ones so we can address them as well.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    One of the expected by products of changing how lighting works is that some textures might not display as expected. This is a HUGE game with well over a decade of assets created for it - please know that this kind of change in appearance is not intended and as we find or are made aware of specific issues, we will work to resolve them.

For this issue specifically, I just checked in a fix for the issue with the Halls of Memory wall and floor surfaces and those fixes will be in the next bug fix patch. As for other wallpapers or floor surfaces, please let us know which ones so we can address them as well.

Thanks!
    The rohirric tiled floor (with PPLA activated) looks like tin now. The metallic shine is so glaring I had to turn off PPLA. Basically most of the floor surfaces and rugs now, are high-gloss and much too shiny. The rugs look like they're made of plastic xD

-Ods

Thanks!
    BEFORE the Per Pixel Lighting Attenuation

NOW (when PPLA is active)

Home base: Gladden - Fluff server: Anor

Chronicler of the unofficial LotRO Webcomic

Thanks!
    Cool. I recall there were some specific issues with the lighting while on Bullroarer you guys had to address on an individual basis. I actually found it humorous how drastically different some things appeared after the change. I did switch out the Memory wallpaper for the time being. Carpet (not rugs) also has this weird effect where it bleeds in the floor like it was spray-painted into the tiles (you can actually see the humps in the floor). The grass surface from Strongholds of the North seems alright, but there is a tad reflective problem when confronted with the main light at the entrance of the kinhouse. It sort of makes it look more like a flat sheet of glass.

Otherwise, I haven't seen any other issues. The lighting effects is a drastic improvement. It is much better to see down the hallways inside houses and certain decorations highlight much better in the light like the fellbeast head.

Parts of the floor in the Galtrev crafting hall may have a bit more specular reflection than intended, too.

A fix for the housing floor surfaces will be in as part of the next bug fix patch.

I'll take a look at the Galtrev crafting hall and see about a fix too - but that won't be a part of the next bug fix patch.

A fix for the housing floor surfaces will be in as part of the next bug fix patch.

I'll take a look at the Galtrev crafting hall and see about a fix too - but that won't be a part of the next bug fix patch.
    I wonder if it would be possible to make some "shiny" alternate versions for at least some of the more readily accessible floors (*like those at the Rohan housing vendor).

I happen to love the way my flagstone floor gleams with the walls in my Gondor house; some of the changes were positive- and I think it's really a matter of personal, subjective taste. Some like it; some do not.

So please consider preserving some of these so that players can pick and choose what versions they want. I have the new Rohan floor surfaces especially in mind. Then you leave it up to the player's tastes and decisions rather than showing a new lighting feature that some like and some don't in their decorations and then rolling it back; that would just get more players upset, I think.

So in this suggestion, you'd just make some copies at the same vendors: Polished Flagstone Floor, Polished Flagstone Wall, and so on. Some of us actually like our homes looking like Minas Tirith while others should certainly have the more rustic looks they want- so, instead of either / or, please try to aim for and/both. And/both logic tends to make more players happier than not.

It also has to do with the fact that the changes look different in different kinds of houses. So I agree with the poster with the screenshots above that the shiny Rohan floor doesn't make much sense in a Rohan rustic house. But it sure makes sense in a Gondor one, or an Elven one, or even a Dwarven one. It depends on the house too- and what the player is trying to do in it.

To condense, only two vendors would really --- need --- these options: The Gondor and Rohan homestead vendors. You have most of the floor surface options in the game available in those two vendors.

Beyond these, you have the 3 Dwarven floor surfaces in Ered Mithrim, the two Felegoth ones, the Mordor vendor / Keeper of Mysteries with the Barad-dur and lava floors, and I think that's pretty much it since all the Elf / Dwarf / Bree / Shire homestead items are condensed in the Gondor vendor (*unless there are any in Elderslade that I don't know about; I think that's about it).

You can have polished wood; you can have polished stone or marble and you can have unpolished, non-shiny versions of those in reality- so anything of that ilk should have both options available in my view.

So, for example, I have a Felegoth-themed house where having dark green, shiny cave-like floors really - works - for the space, especially with those green banners from the Spring-fest.

I would like, if possible, for us players to have more options than less- either way!

Thanks for listening

Cheers!
    Last edited by Phantion; Apr 14 2021 at 06:19 PM.
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

Just on that note, I ran Dar Narbugud and there is a lot of weird lighting issues and clipping in the three Orc boss rooms with Per Pixel effects turned on.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."