We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thor's Map live-action drawing

While I was researching Thror's Map, I found this: ASMR 1hr Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit | Dip Pen Drawing Thror's Map

It's a bit amazing.
    A Youtube Video of someone drawing Thror's Map. You can speed it up 2X and watch it in about 1/2 hour.

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

I need maps that are easier to read

My old eyes have trouble seeing details in the new maps because they are so busy. The older maps are much easier to read and I don't have to squint to see where I am and where I need to go. If there was a way to remove some of the detailed cartography (densely populated iconic trees mountains) added to the new maps so I could see the road. I would be a happy hobbit

I'm loving the new maps for places like The Shire and Bree. They are far more visually stunning than the old ones, some of which look like they were made in Adobe Photoshop in under 5 minutes. Looking at you the Old Forest map. That map is awful, like someone just drew a few trees and then copied and pasted them all throughout the map. It looks like it was made my amateurs. That's my beef with a lot of the old maps. They always looked rushed and of low quality. But, that's just my take. Obviously, others will have a different opinion.

Perhaps the best solution would be to allow players to toggle the new maps on and off. That shouldn't be a difficult thing to do and it will satisfy everyone...who am I kidding?? Even if they did that someone would b!+@# that they have to toggle the new maps off.
    Don't vote for Sapience...vote for meeeee!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by donxavier View Post
    I'm loving the new maps for places like The Shire and Bree. They are far more visually stunning than the old ones, some of which look like they were made in Adobe Photoshop in under 5 minutes. Looking at you the Old Forest map. That map is awful, like someone just drew a few trees and then copied and pasted them all throughout the map. It looks like it was made my amateurs. That's my beef with a lot of the old maps. They always looked rushed and of low quality. But, that's just my take. Obviously, others will have a different opinion.
    The old forest suffers due to the fact that when SoA began (and for some years after) you may remember we had the fog of war and you had to actually explore places to get the maps to open up but even when when fully opened up they designed it to still be difficult to navigate the Old Forest. Therefore even though the tech and expertise were limited back then, they do have an appeal to those who suffer from nostalgia and that no bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by donxavier View Post
    Perhaps the best solution would be to allow players to toggle the new maps on and off. That shouldn't be a difficult thing to do and it will satisfy everyone...who am I kidding?? Even if they did that someone would b!+@# that they have to toggle the new maps off.
    I think that if there isn't a toggle already, it is probably coming with the next update next week... so that should make everybody very happy
    ----A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything----

Quote Originally Posted by LabadalofDorlomin View Post
    The old forest suffers due to the fact that when SoA began (and for some years after) you may remember we had the fog of war and you had to actually explore places to get the maps to open up but even when when fully opened up they designed it to still be difficult to navigate the Old Forest. Therefore even though the tech and expertise were limited back then, they do have an appeal to those who suffer from nostalgia and that no bad thing

I think that if there isn't a toggle already, it is probably coming with the next update next week... so that should make everybody very happy
    For a long time the old forest had no map. I'm not sure when a map was added, but I think the fog of war was already long gone by then.
    "The leaves were long, the grass was green, The hemlock-umbels tall and fair, And in the glade a light was seen Of stars in shadow shimmering.
    Tinuviel was dancing there To music of a pipe unseen, And light of stars was in her hair, And in her raiment glimmering. [...]" ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

I dislike these new maps. I haven't played in a while, and when I was checking the Bree-land map for my quest objectives, they were much harder to see, smaller and way more zoomed out, I guess? Plus I was very disoriented when I looked at it. It feels like the scale is off or something and there's just too much going on with them with no way to focus on the areas you need.

I miss the old ones and kind of hope they stop messing with them if this is how they're going to update them. I'm cool with updated maps, but these just don't feel or look right. There's not really any need for satellite level mapping (they don't have satellites anyway), and more detail could be added within the spirit of the old style, even if it's not exactly the same.
    Imladris - Moravya, 70 Lore-master

Quote Originally Posted by the_antisocial_hermit View Post
    I dislike these new maps. I haven't played in a while, and when I was checking the Bree-land map for my quest objectives, they were much harder to see, smaller and way more zoomed out, I guess? Plus I was very disoriented when I looked at it. It feels like the scale is off or something and there's just too much going on with them with no way to focus on the areas you need.

I miss the old ones and kind of hope they stop messing with them if this is how they're going to update them. I'm cool with updated maps, but these just don't feel or look right. There's not really any need for satellite level mapping (they don't have satellites anyway), and more detail could be added within the spirit of the old style, even if it's not exactly the same.
    I've been trying to figure out how to explain better what bothers me about them and I think you hit it on the head.

It really would have been nice if they'd asked if we wanted these awful maps before they implemented them.
    At the very least, they could have been considerate enough to give their older and/or visually impaired players an option to use the old ones instead.
    This makes me feel so ignored and unimportant, like they couldn't give a rodents hindquarters about people who've supported the game for many years.

the old maps was very inacurate.

If the current maps are more accurate, I'll keep the new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Galmarth View Post
    If the current maps are more accurate, I'll keep the new ones.
    and if we had an option, you could do that without hampering my (and others) ability to see where things are

I have to sorta agree... I'd really prefer to have an option as to which maps to use. They both have their charms, to be sure, but to have the maps we were accustomed to just ripped away was...kinda not cool. Respectfully.

Khally

Exclamation Toggle Option Pls!

And recently the Lothlorien map was butchered. Everything is messed up and hovering over where it says "To Great River" doesn't even show the crosshair anymore! Like, it's been positioned further east at the bottom corner of the map where no one would think to click.

Please, please give us a toggle for these awful maps! Ered Luin, Shire, Bree-land and Lorien - toggle back to old maps option

Pretty sure theyve explicitly said in a stream that it isnt worth the UI work to add in a dropdown box or whatever to make the toggle a possibility.
    Argendauss, Captain
    Rechart, Warden
    Hrodgart, Beorning
    Gunnart, Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by Omen_Kaizer View Post
    Pretty sure theyve explicitly said in a stream that it isnt worth the UI work to add in a dropdown box or whatever to make the toggle a possibility.
    Would love for them to have a place where we can learn this information without it always being a stream.

Yeah, this streaming info should all be here in text format for everybody to access now and in perpetuity.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

I agree. Steams and other types of social network being almost the only forms of news and communication irritate me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nehniriel View Post
    I think it all depend how you see the map.

For me, and I suppose some/lot of people who don't like the new one, it's a map an adventurer can really have (like maps during our history). And they immerse me more in the game than those satellites maps.
    This.

As a lyricist and a role-player first and an explorer second, I depend on full immersion for my daily dose of creativity during my brief daily encounters in Middle-earth, and the old maps made me think: "I am off to an adventure!". They made you think that someone really did make them and they fit closely to the theme of some of Christopher Tolkien's contour maps. The new maps remind me of Google Maps and the immersion disappears.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5