We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Can a higher level player play with lower level player?

say I'm level 35, and someone I know starts the game and is level 8. can we group together and do content as a group? I don't care for xp, but want to help them enjoy the game and spend time with them.

will us being in a group affect XP for the level 8 player?

Options?

Yes, absolutely.

There are only a few, certain, quests that are solo only.
    Your friends first one will be at level 15 for his class quest

There is nothing in the game stopping you from grouping at any level difference

And if the mobs are grey to you, you won't get any of the xp but your friend will
    You could also invest in the Stone of the Tortoise.
    To further prevent you from getting any xp
    Core P9 | ROG Crosshair VII Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | 64Gb RAM | RX 5700 XT 8Gb (x2) | LG BD-RE | 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD | Win10 Pro | WEI - 9.8

Quote Originally Posted by mythror View Post

say I'm level 35, and someone I know starts the game and is level 8. can we group together and do content as a group? I don't care for xp, but want to help them enjoy the game and spend time with them.

Options?
    If you want to help them enjoy the game and spend time with them, make a new character. Otherwise, sure, group with them and boost them as quickly as possible, but unless your partner just wants to level and doesn't really care about playing the game, I don't think that will be fun for either of you, especially your partner.

Everything Malindruel told you is correct. However, I would suggest that your friend will have more fun if you create a new character and use that to play with him. You can get your new character to Level 8 in an hour or less so it won't take long to catch up to him, then you can play together as equals. If you play your mid-30s character with his under-10 character, all he'll be doing is following you; nothing he does in combat will matter relative to what you do, it will be like playing tennis doubles with your 4-year-old as your partner, all he'll get to do is stand there and watch. That is not fun. If he just wants to level up as fast as possible and doesn't care about learning and enjoying the content of the game, then sure, run him through quests as fast as possible using your higher-level character until he gets to your level. But to repeat, that isn't going to be much fun for either of you, especially your partner.

Quote Originally Posted by mythror View Post

Options?
    Here's a thought (with a little bit of role-playing thrown in for fun):

Yes, play with your L8 friend, but un-equip your weapons until they catch up to you in level.
    You can imagine an unfortunate accident that left you unable to wield a weapon until you have had time to heal.
    It is possible to fight (some mobs anyway) without weapons equipped and if they are "grey" to you, they can't hurt you very much or very fast.
    "Nine-mile skid on a ten-mile ride. Hot as a pistol, but cool inside...Mr. Hunter
    "Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!" ...Mr. McCartney

IMO, more games should steal the sidekick system from City of Heroes.

By the sounds of it, missions were designed for that purpose: allowing toons of mixed level to play together.
    Which made it all the more surprising they were gated behind the WoTP purchase. Haven't tried them myself, though.

Beside missions, it is a non-starter. The high-level will be devastatingly bored. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by OghranNasty View Post
    By the sounds of it, missions were designed for that purpose: allowing toons of mixed level to play together.
    Which made it all the more surprising they were gated behind the WoTP purchase. Haven't tried them myself, though.

Beside missions, it is a non-starter. The high-level will be devastatingly bored. Sorry.
    The way Missions work (I'm guessing...I haven't done them enough to know for sure) is that whoever starts the Fellowship determines the Level of the Mission.
    So, if a L8 starts it the Mission will be L8.
    If a L130 starts it the Mission will be L130.

The system has a lot of potential.

I hope it gets tweaked so that (like Skirmishes), we are allowed to select what level the content will be.

So far, I have found them laughingly easy. If we could run them at levels somewhat above our own it could create a challenge.
    "Nine-mile skid on a ten-mile ride. Hot as a pistol, but cool inside...Mr. Hunter
    "Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!" ...Mr. McCartney