We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Are there pre-imbuement Scrolls of Empowerment?

Logged on with my Warden to farm some Scrolls of Empowerment and sure enough they only apply to imbued legendary items.

Are there now any ways to gain/barter for Scrolls of Empowerment for non-imbued legendaries? I appreciate the devs making it easier (sort of) to obtain scrolls for tiering up legacies post-imbuement. However for many classes it is still useful to have legendary items that are not imbued. And to raise up those legacies we need "regular" Scrolls of Empowerment.

Thanks.
    Ngaemond 130 Cpt | Ngeowyn 130 Wrd | Ngali 130 Ch | Ngorbadoc 130 Hnt | Ngollwydha 130 Brg | Ngureth 130 Lm | Ngoin130 Min | | Ngori 130 Rk | Ngeorn 130 Beo | Ngurin 126 Grd Arkenstone (formerly Windfola)

No, scrolls are only used post-imbuement. Prior to that, legacies are advanced via "item xp," gained by slotting the item. You can also use "Heritage runes" to advance legacies. You may also add three star-lit crystals to items before imbuement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bothketbog View Post
    No, scrolls are only used post-imbuement. Prior to that, legacies are advanced via "item xp," gained by slotting the item. You can also use "Heritage runes" to advance legacies. You may also add three star-lit crystals to items before imbuement.
    This is false.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthKeryx View Post
    Logged on with my Warden to farm some Scrolls of Empowerment and sure enough they only apply to imbued legendary items.

Are there now any ways to gain/barter for Scrolls of Empowerment for non-imbued legendaries? I appreciate the devs making it easier (sort of) to obtain scrolls for tiering up legacies post-imbuement. However for many classes it is still useful to have legendary items that are not imbued. And to raise up those legacies we need "regular" Scrolls of Empowerment.

Thanks.
    A level 100 pre-imbued item will use regular Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment, the max tier of pre-imbued legacies is 6 (I am not aware if the new "Tier-based" Anfalas SoE's work on items that are not imbued), these can still be gotten from Skirmish Camps, Stars of Merit & Big Battles (if my memory serves correctly), the Throne raid barter for Ancient Ithil Coins, and Featured Instances.

Any LI Item that is lower than Level 100 will use Empowerment Scrolls that can also be found at the Skirmish camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephburz-2 View Post
    This is false.

A level 100 pre-imbued item will use regular Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment, the max tier of pre-imbued legacies is 6 (I am not aware if the new "Tier-based" Anfalas SoE's work on items that are not imbued), these can still be gotten from Skirmish Camps, Stars of Merit & Big Battles (if my memory serves correctly), the Throne raid barter for Ancient Ithil Coins, and Featured Instances.

Any LI Item that is lower than Level 100 will use Empowerment Scrolls that can also be found at the Skirmish camp.
    I stand corrected, however: I don't even mess with upgrades to an LI until it's a lvl 100 First Age. My apologies, I forgot about upgrading legacy tiers using scrolls. Pre-imbuement, I add three crystals, add an extra legacy slot and take all to tier 6, using scrolls, of course.

Thanks to both of you, Bothketbog and Hephburz-2.

I learned some new stuff from this exchange and now I don't haft'a look it up.

There is always something new to learn about this game...it has it's problems, but it has vast complexity and I love it!
    "Nine-mile skid on a ten-mile ride. Hot as a pistol, but cool inside...Mr. Hunter
    "An’ here I sit so patiently, Waiting to find out what price, You have to pay to get out of, Going through all these things twice" ...Mr. Zimmerman

Quote Originally Posted by Bothketbog View Post
    I don't even mess with upgrades to an LI until it's a lvl 100 First Age.
    How do folks get through things like Dar Nargubud without at least something beyond their starter LIs? I have two relatively well geared level 60 characters that still find the raid challenging. I must be missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephburz-2 View Post
    Thanks. For the last few years I play solo only so anything that requires grouping/raids is out of my price range. So for players like me only skirmish camps.

No - tier-based Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment do not work on un-imbued items. The text description says something like "only on imbued items" so we can infer (alas) that they don't work on un-imbued.

I used to use Scrolls of Empowerment to raise tier of pre-imbued legacies up to 4-6 and *then* imbue the item. Strangely enough the last time I did this it seemed to make little or no difference on the tier of those legacies post-imbuement. But it makes a big difference for swap items that are never imbued.
    Ngaemond 130 Cpt | Ngeowyn 130 Wrd | Ngali 130 Ch | Ngorbadoc 130 Hnt | Ngollwydha 130 Brg | Ngureth 130 Lm | Ngoin130 Min | | Ngori 130 Rk | Ngeorn 130 Beo | Ngurin 126 Grd Arkenstone (formerly Windfola)

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyGreene View Post
    How do folks get through things like Dar Nargubud without at least something beyond their starter LIs? I have two relatively well geared level 60 characters that still find the raid challenging. I must be missing something.
    Rather off-topic but that's okay. I ran Dar Nargubud several times with little trouble. I hate to say - and you probably already know this - but success in raids comes down largely to (1) players know what they're supposed to do and (2) they do it followed by (3) decent gear. I should add that you often need (4) a good raid leader who coordinates what everyone does. I tried being raid leader a couple times and was terrible. Some raids (such as Lieutenant of Barad Dur) a good leader is essential. Simpler raids not so much.

It's why I moved a few times to new kinships. I would run instances with the nice people in my kinship and we got crushed repeatedly. Then I ran with players in another kinship and they nearly always succeeded. I was ready and wanted to experience endgame content and unfortunately the other members of my kinship (all very pleasant) were not up to the challenge. It was frustrating. At one point I applied to join Insert Name of Well-known Kinship on Windfola and they took me along on The Battle for Erebor. They were terrifyingly good. The kinship I was in at the time could usually beat that raid although it was often rough. Players in this Well-known Kinship made it look easy.

Back on Windfola my (then) Current Kinship was the third (or was it the second) kinship to beat the Lieutenant of Barad-Dur on Hard Mode. My Captain had (if I recall correctly) a level 59(? 60?) first age two-handed sword. I believe this was before we could craft first and second age legendary items and definitely before there was such a thing as imbuement or even legacy scrolls. What you got was what you got with the luck of reforging. Sheesh. My Captain had decent gear although his main weapon was below 65. But we had been working on that fight for weeks. We knew the mechanics. Everyone knew their job and did it well. I made videos of many of our raids with explanatory captions. I was on holiday (sigh) when our kinship beat the Lieutenant for the first time. This video my first time although second for everyone else. We made a few mistakes that could have ended badly. One raid that still stands out in my mind is Ost Dunhoth Poison t2 challenge. You cannot make any mistakes. You have to do your job flawlessly for 7-9 minutes.

Last edited by DarthKeryx; Feb 17 2021 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks for the video. I am not saying we can't do it and are going to give up, but, I am just saying that to not upgrade your LIs at all until level 100 is a bit crazy. If you're going to be at level 60 for a year or so, why not spend some time on dialing in your weapon or item? I think some changes in the last decade to the game have made things so darn facerolly, but the last pass (when legendary servers hit 60) on some of the instances, made them a bit more challenging (here and there).

And yes, I totally agree with your first couple of points. We have only spent a handful of days working on the raid, busy in Mirkwood right now too. Figuring out what people are supposed to do is where the fun in raiding comes from. Not going to read lotro-wiki to spoil the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyGreene View Post
    I am just saying that to not upgrade your LIs at all until level 100 is a bit crazy.
    Yes. If for no other reason than damage output. I recently took my Beorning from 7 to 130 (most of my toons were already 130 or in the final stretch) and replaced my weapon with higher level at every opportunity. What's interesting is that from 50-60 it can be difficult to find new weapons only from loot drop or even for sale on the auction house. That's when barter vendors come in handy. Level 54-59 weapon or class item won't drop? Barter for one.

Another weird part of 50-60 stretch is toon levels up faster much faster than legendary items. I prefer to deconstruct items when after the hit 60 for higher rune xp. But that takes a while and items were becoming "obsolete" at around 30+. Oh well. Plan ahead. Deconstruct. Save those legacy scrolls for later.

Good hunting with that raid. My first introduction to raids was actually the "turtle" in the Waterworks. Quick and simple.