We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Bring back old introduction questlines

(Sorry for bad english, i'm french)

I started LOTRO just before it became F2P. I remember the old introduction areas (with Amdir who saved your character from the bandits for the hobbit/man introduction). When the game became F2P, i was very disapointed by the introduction rework. Introduction questlines have all became boring and far less subtle : why on earth did you put Aragorn in the Hobbit/Man introduction ? He seems forced and out of place, and the reason of his absence during the attack on Archet by the bandits is absolutely hilarious and makes no sense ! Why do you show us Skorgrim resurrection ? His return was much more shocking in the old introduction, because we didn't see him being resurrected.

Another extremely disapointing aspect of these new introductions is the french dub. I don't know about the english dub, but for us, french players, the new dub of these areas is atrocious :
    - for the human introduction Aragorn now has the voice of a teenager
    - for the dwarves introduction Gimli speaks with no conviction (only Gandalf's voice is actually ok).
    - for the hobbit introduction, the hobbit soldier who helps you kill the spiders has the voice of a toddler !.

IMO, old introduction questlines were far better. Better written, more immersive, with a better dub (for the french version, at least). I wonder if SSG could make something to allow players to play the old introduction questlines for new characters ? Perhaps a button in the character selection menu, just like the button for the new graphics ? I understand this is not a priority for SSG, but i think bringing back these questlines would make the starting zones more enjoyable.
    Last edited by Glurdin; Jan 13 2021 at 08:57 AM.

Tbh those introductions could use a total rework to include your starter origin so it doesn't feel like it's just a rp thing.

Could even give you starting cosmetic based on your starting region, would only make sense. The high elf and stout axe gets one, give one to everyone else I reckon so new players don't have to deal with the odd looking Eriador armor sets?

Quote Originally Posted by wrath247 View Post
    Tbh those introductions could use a total rework to include your starter origin so it doesn't feel like it's just a rp thing.

Could even give you starting cosmetic based on your starting region, would only make sense. The high elf and stout axe gets one, give one to everyone else I reckon so new players don't have to deal with the odd looking Eriador armor sets?
    Interesting idea, but i fear it would take too much time for SSG, and i don't see how they would manage to link these introductions with Shadows of Angmar's storyline.

I've just made some research, and i found that some players did complain about the boringness of the current introduction questlines, the inconsistencies and the bad writting of them :
    - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...tion-Questline
    - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...was-it-changed
    - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-the-Elf-Intro

I remember now how Amdir used to be charismatic in the old introduction. Aragorn's presence makes absolutely no sense and makes Amdir less important. I think the old introduction questlines need to come back, because they were better than the current ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurdin View Post
    Interesting idea, but i fear it would take too much time for SSG, and i don't see how they would manage to link these introductions with Shadows of Angmar's storyline.
    Well from a writer's pov that's pretty easy.

Gondor: you either start as some citizen who heard whisper in minas tirith or some city (they could actually let us choose where in gondor we start) and the has you sent west with a company of men or smth but you're all ambushed and separating you from your party (ideally this explains why there are so many ppl from gondor in the west) before starting in the man intro

Rohan: Part of a riding, came out west to hunt orcs until you find an orc bearing the msg of angmar or smth. Prompts you to ride further west until you are waylaid and taken prisoner in the man intro. Same with gondor would be ideal if they let you choose where in Rohan specifically.

Dale: Men of rhun were seen near your borders and so you along with dwarves from erebor go to scout it only to find it's the beginnings of a large invasion force, you do what you can to stem the tide but eventually you're forced to flee. One of the easterlings' captain carried a parchment talking about angmar. While the northern lands prepare for invasion you are sent west to inform the dwarves of ered luin but again are waylaid. This part gets solved when you meet gandalf who tells you that the dwarves know of angmar's threat.

Bree-land: easiest one. Band of hunters or watchmen.

Frankly at this point they have alot they could do with the intros and even incorporating which class you choose to change what intro you get. At least for replayability. Writing the reasons and plot is easy. The issue is if they have the funds and time though as a form of investment it would be beneficial to them as indicated by the new WOW intro.

The same applies for each of the races minus stout axes and Beornings. Though for stout-axes I would argue that at some point if you have a character at a certain lvl they should allow you to start at erebor or as one of those who fled with Spakoth.