We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornglen View Post
    Which MMOs are supported solely through cosmetics? (I'm not questioning whether this is true, I ask because the subset of MMOs I play are not. I'd like to look at one that is and see how its model compares to LOTRO's.)

You say keep the region unlocks, but I thought that was the problem people were talking about?
    I do think having the "base game" regions pre-Moria still be locked (especially after buying that Trove) is a bigger issue than having later regions locked. Freeing those up could be a good idea. If later "content pack" regions follow, that might be ok as well, but VIP will probably need an overhaul. Which, it could be argued, it already does, so that might fit into an overall plan.
    A majority of modern successful MMOs do. Warframe for example is the best example. Quite literally 100% Free for all content. Just pay for cosmetics and conveniences.

Genshin Impact and Honkai Impact. Starcraft 2, surprisingly enough though this is more of an indicative of how cosmetics as rewards permeate throughout the genre. GW2 while having expansions relies on selling a bevy of cosmetics for the majority of its steady revenue since they give content free throughout the year and haven't even released an expansion in years (to its detriment though.) Conquerer's blade is another.

In terms of income as it is rn making all the region unlocks free or stopping it might prove detrimental to LOTRO, so it would need to be a steady introduction until finally we stop with the region unlocks, ideally. The point at the heart of this would be to have players want to spend LP on things not directly tied to their progression in game so that it appeals to newer audiences.

Ideally Eriador is made free in its entirety. That way you give players a real taste of the story telling and lore of the game.

The VIP does need an overhaul mostly to include benefits far from just being unlocks or at the very least the whole package of unlocks. The market special offers I would argue should include more exclusive cosmetic packages as part of their bundles. Cosmetics sell which is true for any part of the gaming industry to the point even single player games now incorporate them.

People seem to like flashy cosmetics that make them stand out from the crowd. Now I don't know how lvl 130 hubs look like in LOTRO, but in PeE players run around with neon christmas trees on their armor and glowing auras that cover half the screen - something GGG initially wanted to avoid to preserve the game's dark atmosphere but seem to have forgone ultimately in favor of revenue. I'm not sure if/how LOTRO could handle this.

I'm in favor of including Eriador areas for free especially considering how fast you can breeze through the content nowadays. Moria still deserves a pricetag seeing as it includes a lot of content (unlike some later "expansions") and 2 new classes and many new systems but as much as Moria was my favorite xpack ever, the content these days doesn't last long until you outlevel it and move on (unless, you guessed it, you buy an xp blocker from the store).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000171e32/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Hmmm - this expansion package is nice for new players, but not so much for us long-timers

Happens that I'm a Lifetimer from 2008, and it seems that my account lacks one of the recent expansions, Mordor. On my F2P 'baby' account, I can purchase the Mordor expansion for 2495 LPs, but it's not listed in the LP Store for my main accounts (I have 2). The _MyAccounts_ page lists the following as purchased:

- Lord of the Rings Online™ Beta
    - Shadows of Angmar™ Guest
    - Shadows of Angmar™ Standard
    - Shadows of Angmar™ Trial
    - Siege of Mirkwood™ Beta
    - Mines of Moria™ Cloak Special
    - Mines of Moria™ Standard
    - 2009 Anniversary Program Reward
    - Mines of Moria™ Title Special
    - Siege of Mirkwood™
    - Rise of Isengard™
    - Extra Character Slot
    - Shared Storage
    - Extra Character Slot
    - Riders of Rohan™
    - Helm's Deep™

No Mordor appears in that list, either. So it looks as if I have a choice - buy Mordor + 5 expansions I already own for $ 59.99 or do without. Too bad for me.

I think I'll just do without, thank you. And of course, I'll do without Three Peaks as well. And without renewing the VIP on my 3rd (non-Lifetime) account in February, which I retained and renewed annually since 2010 to support Turbine/WB/SSG, which also includes up to Helm's Deep. Not really going away mad, just going away sad. It was a fun trip!

EDIT: Unfortunately, a visit to Mordor did confirm that I do not have that area.
    Last edited by Boskone08; Jan 13 2021 at 09:39 PM.
    Be well and good questing, all! See you about Middle Earth another time!

Quote Originally Posted by Boskone08 View Post
    No Mordor appears in that list, either.
    Do not go by the My Accounts page when checking what you own. There has been a lot of reports proving it unreliable when it doesn't show everything. The expansion will not be listed in your purchases if you spent lotro points on it, perhaps through one of the various expansion sales. It is VERY RARE of a case Mordor expansion not showing up in the store and someone not owning it. Make sure you don't confuse the two expansions. There is the Mordor Expansion and then there is the Minas Morgul Expansion. One thing you can do to check if you own the Mordor expansion is simply enter the zone and see if you get a notification to buy the zone. You can use someone's Housing Decoration to pop in and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I do not yet have a date to announce for when War of Three Peaks might be available in the in-game LOTRO Store for points. When I am in a position to state that information, though, I intend to let you know.

Re: Gifting - Gifting is something we want to do in the future. We look forward to talking more about its availability in the future, but for now, we do not have any sort of ETA to announce.

Re: Offerings in the new Market - As we said earlier, we intend to retire these specific bundles, and bring out new bundles in the future. In some cases, the new bundle will be the same as the old offering, but in other cases it will not. We also want to create some new packages to sell in the future. Stay tuned on your ability to purchase bundles similar to the ones that used to be available. I have not personally heard of any plans to remove cosmetic items from these offers, but I also don't want to tie the hands of the team who is working on this.
    This post has me lost. Might be available? Is this just a choice of words, and it still will absolutely be available in the store? You intend to let us know? Is the age of promising things or even stating that they will occur with any clarity or confidence completely over? A lot of us are worried from the LI news, and I went back and read more blue posts. All of them are worrying me.

Can you still buy the individual expansions in the in game store? I’m not home to look. Does the 105 valar that came with the Mordor expansion come with the 6 expansion pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Hapenvegas View Post
    Can you still buy the individual expansions in the in game store? I’m not home to look. Does the 105 valar that came with the Mordor expansion come with the 6 expansion pack?
    Yes, the expansions and quest packs are still in the LOTRO Store in game. No, it looks like the 6-pack just comes with the base expansion for each.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornglen View Post
    Yes, the expansions and quest packs are still in the LOTRO Store in game. No, it looks like the 6-pack just comes with the base expansion for each.
    The base Mordor expansion came with the 105 valar. Just wondering if the 6 pack comes with the 105 valar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hapenvegas View Post
    The base Mordor expansion came with the 105 valar. Just wondering if the 6 pack comes with the 105 valar.
    Looking at the list, I think the expansions are what you would get if you bought them using lotro points. I see nothing there in the list for what you would get previously in any basic expansion. I see no titles, no races, no extra slots, no classes, and no bonuses (other than the skirmish soldier). I highly doubt they included the Aria of the Valar. Honestly, it's kind of odd to see because I would have at least expected the warden and rune-keeper classes listed with the Moria expansion. Too bad I have no way of confirming any of this in my own reconnaissance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Just to put it out there, this is the current URL you should use to access the new LOTRO Market: store-new.standingstonegames.com/lotro

Old market URLs will still resolve, but no offerings are available.
    You have two stores listed on the top of these forums alone. 'Newest Expansion' and 'Older Expansions'. Please combine these as it looks awful, works even worse, and makes the game look cut-rate low quality...
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post

1- The LOTRO Starter Bundle looks great! However, while the "Race: High Elf" is specifically noted as being account-wide, the "Riding Skill" and "Middle-earth Steed selection box" are not. Is this correct or will the "Riding Skill" and "Middle-earth Steed selection box" be available for all characters on the account?
    edit: I ask this because when I purchased the "Samwise Gamgee Starter Pack" the riding skill and horse became available to all characters I had already made and all new ones too on every server.
    I jumped on the same question. im assuming both by price and how everything reads is that it will be a one time use toon skill.
    Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2