We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LOTRO and COVID Thanksgiving Wishes

For those of you who live in the USA, happy Thanksgiving. For those that live in all the other countries in the world and are wondering what Thanksgiving is all about.

"Thanksgiving is a time to count your blessings, one by one, as each relative goes home."

- Melanie White.
    Of course the advantage of COVID and social distancing is we don't have as many relatives descending upon the home, devouring the food and magically leaving just before we start cleaning.

Last edited by SavinDwarf; Nov 24 2020 at 04:14 PM.
    To keep your marriage brimming,
    With love in the loving cup,
    Whenever you're wrong, admit it;
    Whenever you're right, shut up. - Ogden Nash

Thanks, you too! ;-}

It's always good to focus on all the good we do have, which certainly includes this game and this community. <3
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Message moondog548 here, on Steam, Twitch, and Discord as moondog548#6830
    Moondog on Landroval, Isilroa on Anor, Reckless on Bombadil

Be thankful you aren't among the quarter of a million, sure.

You have a Thanksgiving based on a history written by the eventual winners, the few hundred white immigrants. Does it sum up America? Be thankful you're doing better than the other guy? It instils a belief that you are better than others and as a country you are better than others, hasn't the last couple of years proved otherwise?

But, to be selfish, I got a great deal on a mouse and an SSD in the Black Friday Sales so... Happy Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by Braer View Post

You have a Thanksgiving based on a history written by the eventual winners, the few hundred white immigrants. Does it sum up America? Be thankful you're doing better than the other guy? It instils a belief that you are better than others and as a country you are better than others, hasn't the last couple of years proved otherwise?

But, to be selfish, I got a great deal on a mouse and an SSD in the Black Friday Sales so... Happy Holidays

This post is pathetic.

Thanksgiving is meant for everyone everywhere. It has nothing to do with superiority or politics or whatever whining you feel like doing today.

"everyone everywhere" really? Maybe for 331 million out of the 7.8 billion on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Loochaldo View Post
    This post is pathetic.

Thanksgiving is meant for everyone everywhere.
    It *IS* only celebrated in United States / Canada. And even then, only the USA celebrates it on the 27th of November.

Other countries have just jumped on the commercial bandwagon of Black Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallandil View Post
    It *IS* only celebrated in United States / Canada. And even then, only the USA celebrates it on the 27th of November.

While it might be true that only the United States establishes an Official day of "Thanksgiving" for the 4th Thursday of November each year, it is indeed also true that all over the world, throughout time, in most cultures and religions, a particular day (or days) are set aside each year to be grateful...to remember those who came before them...and to thank the God whom they worship.

So, in the spirit of that, Happy Thanksgiving, OP! And to everyone else in the LOTRO community, even in the midst of a chaotic world, I hope tomorrow you each have a joyful day with those you care about...remembering and being grateful for the good things we have been granted in our lives.

Take care.

-n

"everyone everywhere" really? Maybe for 331 million out of the 7.8 billion on the planet.

Why do you have such a stick up your ### about it? I know that every country doesn't celebrate it. We welcome you to celebrate if you would like to join us.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallandil View Post

Oh, of course. I just don't understand the harsh initial reaction to the OP.

If someone came on and posted similarly about Boxing Day or Canada Day or something, those wouldn't warrant an attack either.

If someone came on and posted similarly about Boxing Day or Canada Day or something, those wouldn't warrant an attack either.
    I had never heard of Boxing Day and had to Google it. That's another thing I love about these forums, I get to talk to people from all over the world and learn new things.

Our kids have married and moved out, and with Covid, it's just the wife and I for Thanksgiving, which is not a bad thing lol. I have my man cave and she has her woman cave, so we're set for Thanksgiving! When my daughter got married and moved out, my wife wasted no time converting that room into a woman cave. It's even set with a big new TV LOL!

Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving all!
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

Ironically, Boxing Day is the oldest tradition part of Xmas/Christmas. As the original Saturnalia was followed by banquests held for the poorest and servants to give them a taste of luxury.
    Masters would hold feats for the slaves, in a similar sense to how modern Boxing Day comes from British Lords presenting a "box" of gifts to his household staff.

OP literally stated, "For those of you in the USA". If you were offended about that then why did you read or even need to comment?

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

We did our Turkey Day on Monday, just the family bubble. I'm grateful that I was able to get LotRO working on my new computer--it didn't seem like I was going to be able to for a while--and that I get to spend this isolation time in the wide lands of Middle Earth with all of you fine folks. ^_^
    Halcyona of Brandywine, Aurë Antu'uliën
    "There is suffering in the light; in excess, it burns. Flame is hostile to the wing.
    To burn and yet to fly, that is the miracle of genius." -- Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by letsinod3 View Post
    OP literally stated, "For those of you in the USA". If you were offended about that then why did you read or even need to comment?
    It would have passed me by but for the irony of restrictions keeping relatives and friends away when so many have died. Yes we all try to find some humour in the misery but while the living can celebrate enough are still travelling and spreading the virus even more.

It maybe a very slim chance that an individual will be a spreader and some will have gone to extraordinary measures to make it save. But will every encounter they have on the journey have taken those steps? It's the weak link that fails in the chain. Each US holiday has made it only worse, maybe it's time to forget about them for a few months.

In reply to no one in particular

I'm British. The nearest celebration we have to Thanksgiving (date wise) Is Guy Fawkes day (which up to about the age of 5 I though was Guy Forks day). We get to celebrate a person that tried to blow up the House of Parliament by making effigies of him and burning him on a large fire. We also get to shoot off fireworks, and when I was a kid we used to go around collecting money for our effigy (penny for the Guy) which helped pay for the fireworks. In October (?) we got to have conkers fights.

In the USA I think Thanksgiving is a great Holiday (not for what it may or may not stand for, but for what it really is). When I first came to America I got invited to Thanksgiving at a friends house. Lots of food, lots of drink and lots of warm and friendly company. I started to look forward to it every year. This year I think we will have close to 100 people on zoom. For me and my extended American family its a time to meet people I haven't seen all year. Thanksgiving is a bit like Christmas in that for one day people try to forget what's wrong and have a good time.

I wish there were a few more days like that in the year. By the way, when I first came here I used to secretly think of it as "good riddance day" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SavinDwarf View Post
    In October (?) we got to have conkers fights.

I've never heard of this, could you explain please?

Guy Forks.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    I've never heard of this, could you explain please?

Guy Forks.
    The game is played with Horse Chestnuts

Process

- A hole is drilled in a large, hard conker using a nail, gimlet, small screwdriver, or electric drill. A piece of string (often a shoelace is used), about 20 cm (8 inches) long, is threaded through it. A large knot at one or both ends of the string secures the conker.

- The game is played between two people, each with a conker.

- They take turns hitting each other's conker using their own. One player lets the conker dangle on the full length of the string while the other player swings their conker and hits.

Scoring

- The conker eventually breaks the other's conker, and gains a point. This may be either the attacking conker or (more often) the defending one.

- A new conker is a none-er meaning that it has conquered none yet.

- If a none-er breaks another none-er then it becomes a one-er, if it was a one-er then it becomes a two-er etc.

Dude, that's cool! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    Dude, that's cool! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain!
    /Seconded.

...and I'm not even gonna make a joke about a bunch of boys standing around knocking their nuts together.

Brandy: Cupcakes of Doom.
    Landro: Trueheart Companions.

Quote Originally Posted by Devolved View Post
    /Seconded.

...and I'm not even gonna make a joke about a bunch of boys standing around knocking their nuts together.
    I'm laughing so hard, I'm having a difficult time typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Devolved View Post
    /Seconded.

Some boys would even try and cheat by applying varnish and then polishing their nuts to harden them

You have a Thanksgiving based on a history written by the eventual winners, the few hundred white immigrants. Does it sum up America? Be thankful you're do better than the other guy? It instils a belief that you are better than others and as a country you are better than others, hasn't the last couple of years proved otherwise?

Today I am thankful that I’m not this miserable of person.

I'm profoundly thankful at the wholesome turn this thread took after a rocky start!
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Message moondog548 here, on Steam, Twitch, and Discord as moondog548#6830
    Moondog on Landroval, Isilroa on Anor, Reckless on Bombadil