We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Expand the playerbase, please

That's the thought for today. Expand the playerbase, please.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWe View Post
    That's the thought for today. Expand the playerbase, please.
    Are you playing on any of the currently smaller servers? You can reroll and try a different one.
    Just...
    I've tried smaller (Landroval during my game hours has about 125-175 non-anon in /who 1 130) and
    I tried larger (Evernight same hours have 550-750 non-anon in /who 1 130)

The current server service is so minimal. People getting errors loading new areas and going through doors. Logging in can take many attempts.
    These issues almost do not exist on the smaller server. Occasionally chat not loading and that's it.

Tbh I'd like to see more new players in the game. More people from this generation since lotr and dnd like games have become a trend as of late.

It would be nice if the first character you rolled on an account had the virtue slow and class traits for free, including the riding trait. I do understand SSG has somewhat limited themselves on their F2P business model since the store acts more like a supplement to unlocks with very few cosmetics added overall.

It could work if they added more store exclusive cosmetics/furniture. Same with housing if it were advertised more and at a lower price.

Overall technical issues can be overlooked with a good community and a fun game but new players really might find it off with how even just the riding trait is locked by the store since they'll want to spend that lp on the regions.

Riding used to cost you 4 and a bit gold for the horse, passing some qualifying tests and being level 35, when 4 and a bit gold was a n awful lot of money.

"gated in the store" is easy mode

A bit of advertising would not go amiss, and positive comment on social media rather than the moaners, whiners, "why isnt everything I want free NOW?" types and those who constantly say that the game is dead. The latter grouop I tend to assume are in league with the forces of darkness or non players as they may otherwise be described.
    Mithithil Ithryndi

Quote Originally Posted by Mithithil View Post
    Riding used to cost you 4 and a bit gold for the horse, passing some qualifying tests and being level 35, when 4 and a bit gold was a n awful lot of money.
    This brings back some memories, it's incredible to think how hard gold was to get back in the day compared to now.
    One kinmate gave me like 2g to help me along my journey of getting a horse.

Now, I create a new character and have access to multiple mounts from the beginning. We must had been very patient to walk/run around everywhere until level 35.
    Burzdolion of Eldar
    Dogs Of War

Quote Originally Posted by Burzdolion View Post
    This brings back some memories, it's incredible to think how hard gold was to get back in the day compared to now.
    One kinmate gave me like 2g to help me along my journey of getting a horse.

Now, I create a new character and have access to multiple mounts from the beginning. We must had been very patient to walk/run around everywhere until level 35.
    Yeah I can't imagine that hahaha. While convenience most certainly plays a factor for new players, of this generation, entering the game. I would also like to mention that too much convenience is also just as bad.

I've started to realize that one of the main ways they could get new players is by making more free content (slots,regions,etc.) but that also is counterintuitive since the store primarily serves for unlocking that content. Normally you'd fix this with store exclusive cosmetics but they haven't updated the LOTRO store with any character cosmetics in years, with war-steed/horses not seeing any update for a long long time.

A good solution (that would also help LOTRO head towards the F2P market norm): add more store exclusive cosmetics/furniture/housing items. Especially character cosmetics, facial features, hairstyles, you name it. More ppl buy that, you'll probably see them ease up restrictions over time. Because the store really is just an unlocker at most with some side content like housing writs.
    Last edited by wrath247; Nov 23 2020 at 08:38 AM.

They don't care of new players, it's not their target. Only way to play low lvl now is as solo or in kins that cap the level on purpose. With so many restrictions for new free players, we can't expect that.
    Anamura, Sunnarea, Silenius, Neuschwanstein, Wandrassa, Wuldar, Fingaladir, Meowear, Virgilio, Turgamar (Old Fegefeuer)
    Amilegeth, Wargarr, Shakarabash, Luklubuz, Grishlukashkahkh, Dashkanakh
    "One lag to lag them all and in the lagness lag them"

Quote Originally Posted by wrath247 View Post
    Tbh I'd like to see more new players in the game. More people from this generation since lotr and dnd like games have become a trend as of late.

It would be nice if the first character you rolled on an account had the virtue slow and class traits for free, including the riding trait. I do understand SSG has somewhat limited themselves on their F2P business model since the store acts more like a supplement to unlocks with very few cosmetics added overall.

It could work if they added more store exclusive cosmetics/furniture. Same with housing if it were advertised more and at a lower price.

Overall technical issues can be overlooked with a good community and a fun game but new players really might find it off with how even just the riding trait is locked by the store since they'll want to spend that lp on the regions.
    Best way to attract new players:

- All Eriador 1-50lvl for free, up to Moria
    - Riding skill free
    - Traits unlocked free
    - Gold cap at 15g

Only with this, you would see many people joining the game. I'm sure of it.

A new player won't start playing a f2p game and think in spend money. I spent money for first time in lotro after around a year playing. And with so many options in the market now, it's not the same panorama now compared with 10 years ago. New players will spend money if they get engaged. Right now, the chances a new player gets engaged are very low because restrictions.
    Anamura, Sunnarea, Silenius, Neuschwanstein, Wandrassa, Wuldar, Fingaladir, Meowear, Virgilio, Turgamar (Old Fegefeuer)

Quote Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post

- Riding skill free
    - Traits unlocked free
    - Gold cap at 15g

A new player won't start playing a f2p game and think in spend money. I spent money for first time in lotro after around a year playing. And with so many options in the market now, it's not the same panorama now compared with 10 years ago. New players will spend money if they get engaged. Right now, the chances a new player gets engaged are very low because restrictions.
    One of the main methods of increasing the player base is advertising, I don't hear or see any mention of Lotro anywhere, YouTube channel 15k subscriptions with 1k views in videos. But this is a separate, obvious topic for discussion .If we talk about retention of new players, then the first time I tried Lotro in 2018, learning that the game is F2P. After playing for a while, I was horrified to find out how much is hidden in the store - from riding skills and talents, to quests and the limit of gold and slots at the auction. Having reached the 30lvl, I realized that such F2P was not playable for me. 4-5 months ago I wanted to play something new and I remembered how awesome Lotro was. Yes, even though then I didn't really start playing because of the hellish donations, but the game itself was cool, and I decided to start playing, only for this time with a subscription. So before starting the game, I immediately buyed a VIP and am still playing. Visually, the game is amazing, I have not yet seen such beautiful locations, the quests are interesting, I have not read so many quests before, the only thing that could disturb the immersion and engagement is the overlevel locations. Even from the first attempt, I remembered that the overlevel is going wild, and you either do not have time to go through the location, or you keep hitting gray mobs, this spoils the impression very much. From the first level I bought "Stone of the Tortoise" and run with it 99% of the time - the leveling speed is just superhigh, without it I would have stopped playing long ago because it would become boring to beat gray mobs or jump from one zone to another without having time to explore and feel it.
    My suggestion would be to add "Stone of the Tortoise" to everyone at the start, if only I had it for the first time, perhaps I would not have left the game even then, but would have become interested in how to open all the functions of the game as a F2P player, but without it I would not play even being a subscriber.
    Last edited by Ayoheynns; Nov 23 2020 at 10:53 AM.

- Riding skill free
    - Traits unlocked free
    - Gold cap at 15g

Oh I agree. It's a modern concept and good one at that. Players today aren't too keen on restrictions to the point LOTRO has. Engaged enough they'll just throw so much money into the game, i.e. Warframe, GW2.

But we need to remember one thing: the store doesn't have much in the way of cosmetics, furniture a bit but not by much either. LOTRO's store is really there more as a unlock for restrictions. For sure the war-steed and even steed cosmetics are there, but not enough yet given how long the game's been running.

I agree that restrictions need to be eased to attract newer playerbases but before that happens they need to do some things
    1. Add more store exclusive cosmetic sets across the board, from war-steed, steed, furniture, character. They might need to release a cosmetic carry-all to accomodate this and ppl would definitely spend LP on that. The F2P market today loves that sort of thing.
    2. Improve VIP benefits. Obviously the main reason ppl sub is to ease those restrictions. Making those restrictions free to new players means upgrading the current ones.
    3. More premium content. Ala housing, maybe hobbies, outside of the regions, it'd be nice to see premium content from the store such as exclusive missions, epic battles and the like. Many players don't have anything to spend LP on and if you'd ease up restrictions you need more premium content to entice ppl to buying LP.

Again it really is a matter of time, resources they have available, so while we want these things (I would love to see the game community grow) we need to consider their available resources.

Again, people imagine changes what can affect people who already play Lotro. Main problem what SSG don't advertise game and Lotro getting only bad press... no one see that changes. Of course, classic MMO can be harsh for newbies, but it more depends on community and kinships. With good kinships they can catch up faster.

I think SSG has rather burned that bridge behind them. The longer term trend has been for the player base to shrink, not expand. Frankly, as long as they can extract the necessary revenue from those who are left, they don't seem to care.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Again, people imagine changes what can affect people who already play Lotro. Main problem what SSG don't advertise game and Lotro getting only bad press... no one see that changes. Of course, classic MMO can be harsh for newbies, but it more depends on community and kinships. With good kinships they can catch up faster.
    They get bad press and totally well deserved, and they don't advertise because they will just get bad comments.

Do bad practises and you will get bad comments. Not hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath247 View Post
    Oh I agree. It's a modern concept and good one at that. Players today aren't too keen on restrictions to the point LOTRO has. Engaged enough they'll just throw so much money into the game, i.e. Warframe, GW2.

But we need to remember one thing: the store doesn't have much in the way of cosmetics, furniture a bit but not by much either. LOTRO's store is really there more as a unlock for restrictions. For sure the war-steed and even steed cosmetics are there, but not enough yet given how long the game's been running.

I agree that restrictions need to be eased to attract newer playerbases but before that happens they need to do some things
    1. Add more store exclusive cosmetic sets across the board, from war-steed, steed, furniture, character. They might need to release a cosmetic carry-all to accomodate this and ppl would definitely spend LP on that. The F2P market today loves that sort of thing.
    2. Improve VIP benefits. Obviously the main reason ppl sub is to ease those restrictions. Making those restrictions free to new players means upgrading the current ones.
    3. More premium content. Ala housing, maybe hobbies, outside of the regions, it'd be nice to see premium content from the store such as exclusive missions, epic battles and the like. Many players don't have anything to spend LP on and if you'd ease up restrictions you need more premium content to entice ppl to buying LP.

Again it really is a matter of time, resources they have available, so while we want these things (I would love to see the game community grow) we need to consider their available resources.
    They should add all reputation cosmetics to the store for a fair price, all available housing items, all available cosmetic pets. But it must be a fair price that makes you want to spend LP instead getting it from the game. If a new player sees Wastes dog in store for 95 LP, compared with the ton of grind required to get that in game, they might decide to purchase it in the store. It's a cosmetic, so it's totally fine. But if you put that dog for 995 LP, nobody will buy it, they'll get it in game instead, or don't getting it at all.

They should make Eriador for free urgently because when a new player enters the game and see lvl cap of 130 and only free zones are up to lvl30, they will run scared. If it is until lvl50, and with the ton of content that eriador has, much more chances to get people engaged. Riding skill and traits unlocked for free is basic quality of life, just the same as gold cap at 15g.

- Riding skill free
    - Traits unlocked free
    - Gold cap at 15g

The f2p restrictions don't stop new players from joining the game, but they might stop those players from remaining.
    Until level 20 or so a new player will probably not even notice the f2p restrictions, and not until level 30-35 when they run out of free content will the f2p restrictions actually be a problem.

By level 30 most players should have figured out if they like the game or not, but many of them will not like it enough to actually pay anything to keep playing.
    Loosening the f2p restrictions won't change much except new players will stay around a bit longer before leaving.

are you serious?
    SSG gave for free every xpac 2 months ago, mocking every premium player, and selling expansion for 99 LP.
    But you know what? The new players left anyway. On the other hand:
    - as a (mostly) premium player I don't buy zones anymore.
    - as a (rarely) vip player, the subscription lost its appeal.

Perfect strategy, making fun of old players FOR NOTHING in return.

They get bad press and totally well deserved, and they don't advertise because they will just get bad comments.

Do bad practises and you will get bad comments. Not hard to understand.
    How they understand what they need to do if you, as example, give them bad comments on everything, no matter what they doing? Judging by your comments, they need go out of business right now, because they worst developers on good green earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydir View Post
    are you serious?
    SSG gave for free every xpac 2 months ago, mocking every premium player, and selling expansion for 99 LP.

That't not true. Every premium player have chance to play with NEW players, and complete huge amount of content what new players never try before it. As example, Brandywine population jumps from 500-600 to 1300+. Good thing? Also, expansion for 99 LP don't have all content what have expansion with regular price. And we all known what free period don't lasts forever, and we need get best of it from that preriod of time

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    The f2p restrictions don't stop new players from joining the game, but they might stop those players from remaining.
    Until level 20 or so a new player will probably not even notice the f2p restrictions, and not until level 30-35 when they run out of free content will the f2p restrictions actually be a problem.

By level 30 most players should have figured out if they like the game or not, but many of them will not like it enough to actually pay anything to keep playing.
    Loosening the f2p restrictions won't change much except new players will stay around a bit longer before leaving.
    I would think it also would scare some players away. It most certainly has to those i've introduced it to in college, who btw we're all lotr fans and wanted to try the game. The definition of F2P has changed since back then, you know you'll be spending alot of cash but you expect it to be on expansions, mostly cosmetics and maybe at the most a few unlocks.

I do understand why LOTRO doesn't just makes those restrictions free since the store is primarily an unlocker for restrictions with cosmetics, furniture being an add-on.

I really think the only way you can get them to ease restrictions, is if they expand the store to be more cosmetic/furniture oriented. Keep the regions as something you have to unlock. Same with character slots and the like. But offer more store exclusives, like character customization options. This is what F2P games are today. Lure them with in cosmetics/furniture/decorations, keep the consumer distracted from the several region unlocks. That's how playerbases are these days, GW2, Warframe, WOW. Even small indie companies like the ones who made Unfortunate Spacemen thrive on cosmetics.

Warframe I would say is the best example of this, they make earning plat so easy, ppl just buy from the store over and over. LOTRO ik can't copy that system entirely because it'd probably break the game. I would suggest they add more LP for the eriador regions. Mostly to support new store exclusive cosmetics/steeds (which they haven't really updated in a long time). I'd even prefer if the figment barter stuff were in the store, they're honestly so good and would be fair to have to spend LP on especially for VIPs, lifetimers, veterans who have stockpiles of them at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydir View Post
    are you serious?

Sadly...very true.

Driving away so many of the new players who tried the game.

Alienating a large percentage of their most loyal customers.

Quite a combo.

The only thing could help is total revamp of F2P system, something like this:

- Riding skill free
    - Traits unlocked free
    - Gold cap at 15g
    Also in WoW and TESO there is a good practice. Every new addon includes all previous addons. That's quite convenient for new player or old player who stayed far behind. This change will get good press and lot of attention.

Make all content except for the latest expansion free with VIP.

This way players can pay a manageable monthly subscription to access all of the content while leveling and SSG gets a steady income stream.

One of the most off-putting things for friends I've tried to get into this game is when they look at the cash shop and see the accumulated cost of all of the expansions they'd have to buy. Something like $170+ for decade old content is pretty ridiculous.

They were extremely generous with the free code and they got good press, I also congratulated them, even if I already have unlocked all the content.

But you know, earn good reputation is hard, and lose it, it's very easy and quick.

Following to the free code, you have wilderland selling for the absurd price of 1295 lp, and now you have this miniexpansion. I'm already tired of saying the obvious so I just stop.

Having 4 areas for free, up to lvl30, it's great when level cap is 100 or less. But now the cap is 130 and increasing. Now, the only free levels are 30, the other 100 are paid. (you can level free, I mean áreas....)

BTW, have you noticed that the last quest pack that cost 795 lp is Strongholds of the North? ;D

How much does it cost?

I have been a Lifetime Subscriber for just about forever and I have never bothered to go and figure out what it would cost to start playing the game today as a new player.
    In other words, what would it cost in dollars to get the same access that I have now?
    So, I tried to figure it out.
    It was not very easy to figure out. (Problem 1)

I will list here what I found out. And I expect that I will have it wrong, but I will post it anyway. (At least that will help demonstrate the difficulty that exists now.)

Expansion Quad pack
    (Moria, Mirkwood, Isengard, Rohan) 19.99

Helm's Deep --------------------------19.99

Mordor --------------------------------19.99

Minas Morgul -------------------------39.99

War of 3 Peaks -----------------------19.99

Veteran Skirmish Pack ---------------25.99

Guardsman's Skirmish Pack ---------19.99

Footman's Skirmish Pack ------------19.99

60-Day VIP Subscription ------------29.99

Grand Total --------------------------215.91
    ______________________________ ______________________________ ______

It was tough for me to figure out if I get the Skirmish packs with a VIP subscription.
    Maybe they are included. In that case, below is a different total.
    ______________________________ ______________________________ ______

Without Skirmish packs ----------149.94

If I was a new player, just starting out, it would not make sense to spend $216 (or $150) to try out the game.
    I would probably do the F2P thing and then buy stuff as needed.

If I really liked the game I would figure out the best deals to keep me busy for a year and then purchase what I calculated I would need to do that. (Problem 2)

Problem 1: Figure out a way to make this simpler to calculate.

Problem 2: Put together a Pack that would be a good deal for someone willing to spend the $100 for a 12mo VIP Subscription.

Maybe there is some site I can go to that makes this all easier to understand and figure out.

If so, why isn't that the easiest thing to find when you got to lotro.com?
    "One more thing I've just got to say, I need a miracle every day" ...Mr. Hunter

"An’ here I sit so patiently, Waiting to find out what price, You have to pay to get out of, Going through all these things twice" ...Mr. Zimmerman

An Idea about a simplified page...

An Idea about a simplified page...

This game looks like fun.
    How do I try it out for free?.........................Click Here! (There are no live links here. This is just an attempt to demonstrate what a simplified purchasing page might look like.)

OK, I tried it and I like it.
    How do I get a 30-day subscription?.............Click Here!

How do I get a 60-day subscription?.............Click Here!

How do I get a 6-month subscription?...........Click Here!

How do I get a 1-year subscription?..............Click Here!

Where are the HELP pages?........................ .Click Here!
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Nov 26 2020 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Added note about no links
    "One more thing I've just got to say, I need a miracle every day" ...Mr. Hunter

"An’ here I sit so patiently, Waiting to find out what price, You have to pay to get out of, Going through all these things twice" ...Mr. Zimmerman

If I imagine myself as a new player, there is no way I will spend so much money in a game after playing for a couple days. Its impossible. And you are letting out the quest packs. VIP doesn't unlock quest packs forever, I suggested somewhere else that a good way to make VIP worth is that quest packs are unlocked forever but only it they match your level. But not sure how they can balance this.

I still think Eriador must be free, if not, a new player is not going to do what you say, a new player will be thinking how to reach Moria the best way without spending much money, and... All I can say is that when I was new, I left the game for a year because I got bored. I just returned because it's LOTR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast