We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Missions, my thoughts on them

Tomorrow I will be "kindred" with this faction and then 45000 = 90 missions more to go to finish this reputation. It will have been a long journey considering the fact that I already grow tired of them.

The problems for me in no particular order:

SSG put quantity over quality. 80 missions looks a lot on the package but the content is stale and generic. It's the same few destinations with a different objective or foe. It's Limlok bounties, just more of them. It comes over as cheap filler content. Most of them are also in dark restricted places. As a new player it would actually turn me away from Lotro, I see the strength of Lotro in story telling and these show none of it.

The first missions with Ausma at the start looked like some of the epic quest solo instances, help an NPC and get new objectives once you finished the first. I love these missions, they have a progressing story to tell. Another way they could have gone is auto bestow quests once you get in the instance, you reach your destination and see what needs to be done to hinder the foe. I enjoyed those quests as well because there is a flow to them. When they mentioned wrapper I thought of the MT Rammas and DA city dailies which I also enjoyed for a time. But we got none of that.

This content is advertised as doable by all levels but who wants to actually continue playing them once the reputation is done? I most certainly will not. I had imagined myself playing them on alternate characters but my main has to do so many of them that even if they were better, I would be exhausted. I have no idea why the deeds/reputation of content that can be played on alts are so demanding.

Rewards barter, way to little way to late. Not everybody is interested in Dwarven cosmetics. Yet this is all one can get for the marks. Pets and mount are at "kindred" which wouldn't be a problem if the currency wasn't capped. So far I have l
    "lost" 200+ marks due to this cap. SSG has been told since Ered Mithrin that capping currency without decent barter offers is a problem, yet they did it again. So we have hundreds of missions to complete which give 4x (rough estimate) the amount of currency without much to barter for. But of cause something will be added once I'm done.

These missions are way to boring and repetitive (there are 80 but maybe 20 locations or less) for me to do them beyond my main finishing the reputation. They could give 10x the reward and I will not touch them again after that. I really had expected more diversity, story ... you know of the things that make Lotro fun and genuine ... most certainly not generic, cheap filler content that easily can turn new players away.

I have to agree with the OP missions are a terrible addition to the game.

All the missions are dull, the one or 2 that can be done in seconds (the named warg one turn left, kill, done) have at least the benefit of being quicker to do than hand in (please fix that) but then you have some truly terrible ones (e.g. any in Glimmerdeep) that I will only run once to get the do all 80 deed. But the very worst one is Collapsing the Old Paths mission in Glimmerdeep, it's just plain terrible. Easily the worst mission in a whole bunch of poor content.

Then as the OP pointed out the rewards and rep are skewed to make the whole missions experience even more miserable.

Do all 80 missions deed I can understand but that should be it, all the rewards should be available by then, there shouldn't be deeds to do 200 and the rep requiring you to 260 of the damned things with a currency cap you'll hit way before getting anywhere near kindred is a joke. Given you have to do dozens of the cheap filler and we're only talking cosmetic fluff as rewards there should be rewards available at every rep tier not just 2 of the 5.

All in all, missions are terrible - poorly designed, poorly implemented, don't achieve any of their stated goals and even worse just draw attention to flaws in the game, e.g. poor server performance - it can take 2 minutes to hand in a mission, greedy ssg
    - VIPs paying for it and need for rep accelerators.
    Boost the reward from the do 15 weekly , to something excessive e.g. 500 embers + 2k VXP + a shard and people will reluctantly run them if not they will soon be in the same pile as the other mistakes/forgotten bits of the game: mounted combat, BBs, Skirmishes etc.
    Wal's Army on Evernight - Walred (Champ), Walmur (RK), Walbert-2 (Cappy), Walori (Guard), Walrandir (LM), Walora (Warden), Walmo (Burg)

Although The Fluttering Fires mission runs Collapsing Old Paths close, it is also truly terrible. Bushes that are always selectable even after being burnt, you just have to twiddle your thumbs whilst carrying torch despite the bats and to add insult to injury a bush hidden inside a rock that you have to be pixel perfect in your placement to use, again shockingly awful. The only positive at least it takes longer to do than hand in
    Wal's Army on Evernight - Walred (Champ), Walmur (RK), Walbert-2 (Cappy), Walori (Guard), Walrandir (LM), Walora (Warden), Walmo (Burg)

Several missions have problems with mobs getting stuck on rocks, etc. and going into anti-exploit mode. Since this keeps you in combat until you kill them, it can interfere with opening the chest at the end of the mission (level 130 only) before the 2-minute timer expires and you are ejected from the instance.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    Several missions have problems with mobs getting stuck on rocks, etc. and going into anti-exploit mode. Since this keeps you in combat until you kill them, it can interfere with opening the chest at the end of the mission (level 130 only) before the 2-minute timer expires and you are ejected from the instance.
    Happened plenty of times but as there is essentially nothing you might want from the barterer I dont begrudge the lost couple of coins.

Indeed "nothing you might want from the barterer" is probably at the heart of the problem. I assume that they are good for xp at lower levels and the covers all leves thing is why there is nothing but cosmetics to barter, but surely a +5% morale scroll/power scroll/damage scroll/defence scrolls choice sn't going to ruin anybody's day?
    Mithithil Ithryndi

IMHO developers must choice Epic Battles, RTs, Warbands, Skirmishes, Allegiances and Missions, and combine them all in one whole huge system, like "Battles against Evil" or something else. Give them all meta-deeds, overal reputation, barters (even give them gold items), tokens, and all parts of it must keep their separate currency, and add one combined currency to all of them. Yes, it can be big and huge process, but in same time it make all parts of it more important and more complete.

Missions are fine.
    There, I said it.
    They are not game-changing in any way, I agree that there should be something to spend the currency on (even charge 300 for one Anfalas scroll, something that keeps it from being wasted), and that some are ridiculously easy while others are frustrating (my vote goes to the watchtowers at Goblin-gate... why are some watch-towers able to be targeted but others are just scenery?)
    However, it is another easy way to get some embers, motes, virtues, or level up alts with if you're bored from landscape or skirmishes. I, for one, enjoy doing them most of the time. I imagine I am not the only one, but those who are fine with things don't usually post in the forums about them.

Quote Originally Posted by McJones View Post
    Missions are fine.
    There, I said it.
    They are not game-changing in any way, I agree that there should be something to spend the currency on (even charge 300 for one Anfalas scroll, something that keeps it from being wasted), and that some are ridiculously easy while others are frustrating (my vote goes to the watchtowers at Goblin-gate... why are some watch-towers able to be targeted but others are just scenery?)
    However, it is another easy way to get some embers, motes, virtues, or level up alts with if you're bored from landscape or skirmishes. I, for one, enjoy doing them most of the time. I imagine I am not the only one, but those who are fine with things don't usually post in the forums about them.
    I'm glad you like them. I also was looking forward to level some alts through them. I just am burned out due to my main needing to do so many of them to finish deeds/reputation. And once that happens the content might as well not be there. It is nice to get embers, motes, virtue xp and a few scrolls but in the end these don't matter if the means to get them is a boring chore. But if there are players who enjoy them then at least development resources were well spent.

Missions in idea is neat. I do find them fun to do breaking up the usual monotony of lvling. At its current state it feels like a halfbaked system which they were still exploring the features off and they did admit as much in a QA with another player.

I enjoy them alot! But some more variety in locations, or even more plot progressions at certain thresholds like the ones you do with asuma, and definitely more rewards is something they should look into. The missions did give an idea that the world in LOTRO is still moving around in other regions even as we March on Gundabad (lol). I do hope they work and expand it into the future because it's a neat system with potential for story telling and lvling alternatives. Add more fun tweaks or twists! Any repetitive system can be propped up if it's fun and the progression you're working to shows.

Maybe add a separate war bar, that we need to fill that resets weekly unlocking 1 "epic" mission assault or defence in the WOTP maps? Could be for future content as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    IMHO developers must choice Epic Battles, RTs, Warbands, Skirmishes, Allegiances and Missions, and combine them all in one whole huge system, like "Battles against Evil" or something else. Give them all meta-deeds, overal reputation, barters (even give them gold items), tokens, and all parts of it must keep their separate currency, and add one combined currency to all of them. Yes, it can be big and huge process, but in same time it make all parts of it more important and more complete.
    This sounds cool though. At the very least it'd be nice they didn't abandon it like the previous systems. Gundabad would have been a nice time to add another Epic Battle like pel, or Allegiance or even skirm but we do have to consider resource allocation which at least they said they'd be hiring more ppl so maybe could see a revisit.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath247 View Post
    Missions in idea is neat. I do find them fun to do breaking up the usual monotony of lvling. At its current state it feels like a halfbaked system which they were still exploring the features off and they did admit as much in a QA with another player.

I enjoy them alot! But some more variety in locations, or even more plot progressions at certain thresholds like the ones you do with asuma, and definitely more rewards is something they should look into. The missions did give an idea that the world in LOTRO is still moving around in other regions even as we March on Gundabad (lol). I do hope they work and expand it into the future because it's a neat system with potential for story telling and lvling alternatives. Add more fun tweaks or twists! Any repetitive system can be propped up if it's fun and the progression you're working to shows.

Maybe add a separate war bar, that we need to fill that resets weekly unlocking 1 "epic" mission assault or defence in the WOTP maps? Could be for future content as well.

This sounds cool though. At the very least it'd be nice they didn't abandon it like the previous systems. Gundabad would have been a nice time to add another Epic Battle like pel, or Allegiance or even skirm but we do have to consider resource allocation which at least they said they'd be hiring more ppl so maybe could see a revisit.
    I agree that the idea is great. I was looking forward to them. My levelling characters would have a great time skipping some of the content I have done to often or don't like. But the locations for the most part are dark and a lot of them are either a path or tunnel where every mob needs to be killed. I avoid Sundergrot and Glimmerdeep completely. I also gave some examples of my expectations and then they could be real fun. Of cause they would take longer. I think I still would have used these missions on alts but it just takes way to many of them to finish everything on my main. If they come out with story missions, I would love that.

The main problem for me really is the amount it takes to finish all deeds/reputations connected with them. This sours them for alts which I had been looking forward to play through them. Add all the other complaints I made and alts are a no go after 200+ missions on my main.

Great idea, bad implementation. I understand that there are a lot of players who like fast end game but I really would have loved to see more story.

Yeah, they are way too cumbersome to "help with leveling," as it were. SPOILERS:

But I like the unique ones with Asuma; it was cool to, for example, explore the dynamic between Goblin-Town and Gundabad (*ah ha, so that's how Angmar's Orcs got there back in the Misties region!).

The ones that are basically "re-treads" of past content are meh though. I'd much prefer unique things that add more to the game-world than just repeating older content in new packaging. The Missions system, in my view, shines when it does something new or shows us something new about a region; it's "meh" when it's just filler, repetitive stuff in locations we've already visited. I get though that it's also to give newer players some glimpses of later zones, which is interesting

But it sounds like it's awful for deed completionists. I've got only 1 thing to say there: they started doing this back in Gorgoroth, really; I'd even go so far as to say that "Missions" isn't a "new system" at all! It's simply what we did at end-game in Gorgoroth with the "crafting instances" that had these pretty big meta-deeds for completion that were really about grinding-out the "reputation for allegiances" to unlock new stories in the Allegiance System quest-lines. This is simply the Allegiance System in new packaging with one Allegiance- Durin's Dwarves.

There you go
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

I agree that 'Misssions' has a great deal of potential.
    I hope they continue to develop it...new UI and all that stuff.

It looks to me like they are going slow...just trying out some concepts.
    I hope they continue in this mode...going slow, finding out what works and what folks like and then keep developing it.

In a year or two we could have a well-developed system that works for keeping us busy between major releases.
    Now, they just need to figure out some non-odious method to monetize it.
    Maybe Missions could be a commodity that a player pays for. In true micro-transaction style. Maybe selling them in packs of 10 Missions per. Like 25 to 50 cents per purchase. Then these packs could be connected in some kind of complex matrix of deed-based rewards. I don't know...they have the brains, I just have the money...Hey SSG, help me find a reason to spend it.

It's real clear that the "rewards" system needs work, but I think (and hope) that they are aware of what sucks about finishing an objective and getting nothing. (Please tell me that they know that some folks do not care about cosmetics.)
    I can't imagine it continuing without "rewards" work, but I have mucher larger hopes for the entire idea.
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Nov 23 2020 at 02:46 AM. Reason: I am trying to think of a gooder word for mucher....
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I agree that 'Misssions' has a great deal of potential.
    I hope they continue to develop it...new UI and all that stuff.

It looks to me like they are going slow...just trying out some concepts.
    I hope they continue in this mode...going slow, finding out what works and what folks like and then keep developing it.

So true. I think they even admitted as much on a QA with some youtuber. I'd even be down with buying mission packs from the store, since it'd at least give something extra to spend on.
    Neat concept, they would benefit from fine tuning and a UI built specifically for it. What rewards would you guys like to see tho? I honestly like cosmetics some am stumped on what else they could add.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    I really had expected more diversity, story ... you know of the things that make Lotro fun and genuine ... most certainly not generic, cheap filler content that easily can turn new players away.
    Exactly. I mean I do somewhat see the "moving story" idea with different missions in the same area. At least making it appear that events continue to unfold in more than one situation. But I do agree that we should have more missions that give a feel of story moving forward. Maybe not always to the extent of the ones we get with asuma because my assumption is that those would be the "after working to the next rep you get this tiered mission" sort of thing but at least maybe add it that npcs accompany you to reclaim an area or even use a siege engine. Or repair the barricades to hold off attackers. Doesn't necessarily always have to be kill everything or kill a certain character quest. Variety but with quality is a good view for that.

But i do happen to enjoy the kill single-character quests. It's short and sweet. Just more mission types that don't always involve killing would be nice, and in more locations. Pls expand the missions into a UI with more rewards and progression feeling. A Weekly Mission bar players fill to earn a "assault" or "siege mission" or some sort of "epic" mission, would be great.

I'm starting to get bored of them, unfortunately. As others have already mentioned - so many of them to grind but too repetitive, boring, nothing interesting to discover/read in the quest log.

NEGATIVE:

The "read something interesting" part is particularly jarring. So they're unlike normal quests on the landscape which they are similar to... kill 10 something, gather 8 something... but these repetitive landscape quests actually advance the questline/story/tell you something more about characters/about lore/about enemy activity which in turn advances some ongoing storyline even further and leads us to next settlement/important location. Missions are just... there. 80 of them! They're like empty shells, like normal landscape content but devoid of text and soul

POSITIVE (but only kind of):

Their only redeeming quality is that I find them really fitting here, in this particular scenario - during war effort when we are the aggressor and control more ground. I found it entertaining at first, to be thrown back into older, strategic locations situated around the war zone, behind the enemy lines or supply lines. This "role-playing" factor, however, is further hindered by their apparent "dissociation" from the story. You arrive at the front and you're able to do them right away even though they're supposed to be end-game grind. And that's good... because canonically, they do happen before War of the Three Peaks battle map. But then, you will only do a few of them before you move on to finish the main story and landscape quests... and when you do finish those, the immersion is broken because the end-game grind is hardly believable now as something that occurs after the battle - the orcs have retreated to the mountain, after all! Even more confusing and immersion breaking, if you've run into them before in missions... those missions can actually spoil Dourhand involvement for you... that's bad design, IMO.

Furthermore, even if they are improved in the future, same as paragraph above - they DO NOT belong in zones without ongoing war effort so they are not a mainstay if we move beyond Gundabad, into solo investigations with Gandalf, for example.

2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Did 1 (one) mission then landscape quests = Kindred. TBH I first missed the Epic Quest line from Limlok... so doing missions to get Kindred is not necessary.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow
    Malancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf

Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    Did 1 (one) mission then landscape quests = Kindred. TBH I first missed the Epic Quest line from Limlok... so doing missions to get Kindred is not necessary.
    I'm kindred with the March at Gundabad faction but the only reputation I see for the Gabbil aka faction are the missions.

Totally agree with you Wisp. The missions are not 80, but 8, with 10 different objectives involved.

The reputation grind is a slog-fest and over capping is easy to hit, unless you like dwarven cosmetics. This is of course, by design, to try and make players buy rep tomes through the store. The missions are only "fine", if a player uses shortcuts like rep tomes. I try not to take any shortcuts on my main - ever, so by the time she finishes this grind (which she will, because she is a completionist), I'll never set foot in missions (or Elderslade for that matter, because the whole update was not to my taste) again.

I've no idea what the final reputation tier is even for. It's really not required.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    Its not possible to get the mission reputation via landscape quests. There are two rep factions. One for landscape, and one for missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Totally agree with you Wisp. The missions are not 80, but 8, with 10 different objectives involved.

The reputation grind is a slog-fest and over capping is easy to hit, unless you like dwarven cosmetics. This is of course, by design, to try and make players buy rep tomes through the store. The missions are only "fine", if a player uses shortcuts like rep tomes. I try not to take any shortcuts on my main - ever, so by the time she finishes this grind (which she will, because she is a completionist), I'll never set foot in missions (or Elderslade for that matter, because the whole update was not to my taste) again.

I've no idea what the final reputation tier is even for. It's really not required.
    No idea either. Maybe just to favor reputation tomes or keep players busy. Got "kindred" today and at least can buy the pets now for my alts. The mount is bound to character. 88 more missions to finish, at 15 a week that is 6 weeks. During this time I will finish the last Elderslade deeds and nothing more. It's just how I play, one character finishing a region at a time. Then I go to the next character, probably doing Wildermore. Somehow for me, leaving an area and playing different characters destroys immersion.

Just remembered Yule festival comes next month. So finishing this reputation will take 3-4 weeks longer.

No idea either. Maybe just to favor reputation tomes or keep players busy. Got "kindred" today and at least can buy the pets now for my alts. The mount is bound to character. 88 more missions to finish, at 15 a week that is 6 weeks. During this time I will finish the last Elderslade deeds and nothing more. It's just how I play, one character finishing a region at a time. Then I go to the next character, probably doing Wildermore. Somehow for me, leaving an area and playing different characters destroys immersion.

Just remembered Yule festival comes next month. So finishing this reputation will take 3-4 weeks longer.
    Or you could just do all 8 a day and get it over with in eleven days Done and dusted then.

Or you could just do all 8 a day and get it over with in eleven days Done and dusted then.
    I know but 500 embers x 6 is 3000 plus some motes and scrolls from weeklies. Since only the weeklies give decent rewards, why go fast? Who knows when a good figment vendor comes again and I want to be prepared. They might also add something worthwhile during this time to the vendor ... one can always hope. I also like to pick and choose at this point, there are locations I wont do and there are those I need to finish the last 2 slayer deeds. Not like new content is right around the corner.

Looking over what I just wrote concerning decent rewards. It's sad what these missions offer. A teaser drop into the bucket of the ILI, mote and ember grind. This really requires 6 weeks and considering the other rewards from this faction are the best they have to offer?
    Last edited by wispsong; Nov 23 2020 at 02:40 PM.

They could do a better job making missions less solo oriented. It could be a good opportunity to introduce an instance finder that isn't totally useless. Missions are so easy you don't need to worry about tiers or class balance, just have a queue where you can jump in, put 3 random people together, let them do the mission. It would be more interesting and fun to run things as a community rather than just soloing everything.
    Erendil 50 Hunter Rank 7, Mavellen 45 Warden; Officers of Disciples
    Ragaroth Warleader Rank 7, Marhawk Stalker Rank 5; Members of Cuddle Squad
    Other Characters: Arthilius - Captain, Arthilias - Guardian,
    Claireth - Runekeeper, Harbuckle - Burglar, Lothlirien - Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Strider5548 View Post
    They could do a better job making missions less solo oriented. It could be a good opportunity to introduce an instance finder that isn't totally useless. Missions are so easy you don't need to worry about tiers or class balance, just have a queue where you can jump in, put 3 random people together, let them do the mission. It would be more interesting and fun to run things as a community rather than just soloing everything.
    Yeah some way to make the missions we do have an impact on the community as a whole. Maybe something like WOW did where completing questing during the Broken Shore event led to an eventual unlock.

Missions could have the same, depending on where they are implemented. So for example a weekly counter to complete X amount of missions or supplies which lead to an eventual unlock of one Big community mission, like an assault or defence sort of thing.

It'd reset weekly, and rewards depend on how far the community got the bar for that server. Would certainly feel like you're supporting the war effort.

Would even work when they choose to apply missions in other regions. Would really benefit from having it's own UI personally.

2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Its not possible to get the mission reputation via landscape quests. There are two rep factions. One for landscape, and one for missions.
    Seems I missed one reputation grind then... ah well.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow
    Malancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf

I know but 500 embers x 6 is 3000 plus some motes and scrolls from weeklies. Since only the weeklies give decent rewards, why go fast? Who knows when a good figment vendor comes again and I want to be prepared. They might also add something worthwhile during this time to the vendor ... one can always hope. I also like to pick and choose at this point, there are locations I wont do and there are those I need to finish the last 2 slayer deeds. Not like new content is right around the corner.

Looking over what I just wrote concerning decent rewards. It's sad what these missions offer. A teaser drop into the bucket of the ILI, mote and ember grind. This really requires 6 weeks and considering the other rewards from this faction are the best they have to offer?
    Why go fast?

Think of a sticky plaster. Peel off slowly or just rip it off as quick as you can. For me, I can't bring myself to do missions at the moment, and I'm well into the final tier of rep, but I will finish it, because it's my main. When I do decide to go back to it, I'll do it all one one swoop.

Then, when I have no deed completion left behind them. I may pop into them now and again for the weeklies, or I may not. 500 embers isn't really worth the effort and there are much faster and nicer ways to earn motes.