We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thumbs up

@Tralfazz: I can't thank you enough for your prompt help in here. My issue is solved I believe *crosses fingers it stays that way*. I turned it back to DX9 as you suggested and all was great. I tried setting DX11 up within the game then and was able to play fairly well and fairly long before it locked up, but then it didn't lock up permanently as it had been doing, just for about a minute or 2 and then it let go. I probably could have continued on, but I decided to turn it back to DX9 because it was not going to be helpful to anyone in any raids or groups if I was locking up for 1 to 2 minutes on entrance or exits of instances or any other periodic ones. Game still looks beautiful to this person who's been playing on pretty much the lowest graphics settings for over a year now. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by teitei View Post
    The current settings are the same with the exception of the antialiasing which was disabled. When I tried setting it to 2x when DX11 was set, I could not see any water and the FPS dropped dramatically from 45 avg to around 30 avg. It was not so dramatic when I had DX9 set (could see the water again) but there was still a hit of around 10 FPS. Strangely changing the resolution from 2000 X 1200 down to 1650 X 1050 didn't make any difference to the FPS. The only other notable difference swapping from DX11 to DX9 was the cooling fan speed. It increased when switching from DX11 down to DX9.
    I know it's frustrating but even folks running real Windows boxes sometimes have trouble finding the right balance of graphics core and other graphics settings that work best with their hardware. My suggestion, given that your Mac has integrated graphics only and you are experiencing issues with DirectX 11, is to stick with DirectX 9 and do a lot of experimentation with all the other graphics settings in order to find something that provides the combination of performance and visual quality that will best satisfy you. Stick with DirectX 9 and Full Screen Windowed mode for your baseline but other than those two settings you should experiment freely using the in-game options panel.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 64-bit client can address a larger block of RAM than can the 32-bit client; that is its primary advantage over the 32-bit client. The more RAM you can make available to it, the better it will run. Your Mac has 8gb of RAM but remember that, since you have integrated graphics, 1.5gb of that is reserved for the graphics subsystem. That leaves you with 6.5gb of RAM which must be used to run the OS, any other applications you have opened (including menu bar extras and other background or headless apps), and then the rest for LOTRO. Before launching LOTRO, first close every application which you don't need to have open in order to give LOTRO as much RAM as possible – it is a memory hog, the more you give it the better it will run.

One thing I have found to help with heat and fan speed with many Intel Macs is to disable the processor's turbo boost. Turbo boost is great for tasks that need a brief increase in processor power but is often a problem when a task demands processor power over 100% (i.e. turbo boost) for extended periods of time. LOTRO and many complex older applications like it behave that way. Disabling the turbo boost will allow your Mac to run quieter and cooler and you probably won't notice any change in performance within the game. It might help to prevent thermal throttling, which happens when the processor gets hot and has to slow down or even shut down some of its cores in order to not overheat – and when that happens, the game will run worse or even start to throw odd glitches because the processor isn't keeping up with all its tasks. This utility is easy to use, free, and will allow you to disable your processor's turbo boost only when you want to:
    http://tbswitcher.rugarciap.com
    I use this on my late-2012 i7 Mac Mini when playing LOTRO there, and with some other applications, even though I leave the turbo boost on most of the time for general computing tasks. My newer Mac, a 2019 21.5" i3 iMac, has a processor without turbo boost – I chose this Mac partly for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverana View Post
    @Tralfazz: I can't thank you enough for your prompt help in here. My issue is solved I believe *crosses fingers it stays that way*. I turned it back to DX9 as you suggested and all was great. I tried setting DX11 up within the game then and was able to play fairly well and fairly long before it locked up, but then it didn't lock up permanently as it had been doing, just for about a minute or 2 and then it let go. I probably could have continued on, but I decided to turn it back to DX9 because it was not going to be helpful to anyone in any raids or groups if I was locking up for 1 to 2 minutes on entrance or exits of instances or any other periodic ones. Game still looks beautiful to this person who's been playing on pretty much the lowest graphics settings for over a year now. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!
    Thanks very much for the kind words! I get a lot of satisfaction when I learn that something I wrote here helped someone else enjoy LOTRO. Have fun!
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Apr 05 2021 at 05:48 PM. Reason: KEEPING not KEEP

Hey Tralfazz, Just a follow up note on my new MacBook Air M1. I got the M1 about 2 days ago. I got the least expensive model with 7 GPU cores and 8 GB RAM. I have to say I am blown away by this new machine. Everything about it is fast and peppy. Crossover and Lotro work perfectly. My FPS is anywhere between 50 and 90 FPS using very high overall graphics quality at 1024x640. I'm running DX11. MY LOTRO STORE WORKS!!! The machine has no fan but never got too hot after playing for at least 1.5 hours.

Getting it all to work was no different except that when I ran the 32bit client to setup the resolution etc. and get things going, it was painfully slow. I didn't muck with it much but when I switched to the 64bit client everything worked fine.

By contrast my iMac is s 27 inch 2019 with 40GB RAM and 3.7 Ghz 6 core i5, with Radeon Pro 580X 8GB RAM graphics card. Oddly it very consistently stays between 60 and 65 FPS at 2560x1440.

All in all, the new M1 is amazing. I suppose its early to draw any conclusions but I'm very impressed.

Thanks for all your help and patience. Now I can just use my laptop for store access.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorander View Post
    Just a follow up note on my new MacBook Air M1. ...effusive praise for it... I'm running DX11.
    I haven't met many people who have bought an Apple Silicon Mac, even the lowest-end base model, and not been happy with it. I'm glad that you're having a similarly positive experience.

And that's a very interesting data point. You're not the first person to report that DirectX 11 is working well on a SOC Mac but more users have reported issues – either a complete failure to get DirectX 11 to run or significant issues in-game – and have had to stick to DirectX 9. I wish I could pin down the variable but it continues to be elusive: It doesn't seem to be related to the specific model (Mini/Air/Pro) or RAM/SSD configuration and the issues appear similar to those reported by users of Intel Macs with only integrated graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorander View Post
    MY LOTRO STORE WORKS!!! Now I can just use my laptop for store access.
    Well, this is very good news. Although I still have no idea what is causing your other Macs from experiencing that odd problem nor why it sometimes doesn't affect the 32-bit client nor why you could access the store at first and then lost the ability to access the store later. There is at least one other Mac user experiencing that problem (and multiple Windows box users) and I'd love to track down the cause. In any case, I'm glad that's working for you and I hope your new Mac doesn't get "infected" as well. Do please report here if it does or if you decide to try a clean OS+Crossover+LOTRO install on one of your other Macs to see if that resolves the problem there.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Apr 06 2021 at 04:32 PM. Reason: CAUSING not PREVENTING

Hello again,

So I'm playing wonderfully, no lag at all anywhere, not even Minas Tirith! But .... yep there's still a problem.

I cannot change from DX9 at all and I cannot see the target circles or the puddle squares etc. unless I scroll in really close to my character. This being a big problem for me as I cannot play that close up as it will give me motion sickness.

I tried both DX10 and DX11, but unfortunately, both of them lock me up for quite a while (1 to 3 minutes) before finally letting go and allowing me to move again. This lock up also locks up my entire computer as well, I cannot alt tab to anything, can't go to my other monitor as I usually can being that I play in Full Screen Windowed mode as suggested.

So My main question here is, is there anything you can think of that I can try to stop the lockups in DX10 or 11? Or is there something I can do in order to see the target circles and spell/fire/puddle squares on the ground? It's like the Z level is just a little bit too low so it's underground sort of.

Someone in game said there was an issue with DX9 and the ground circles/squares, but I would think there would be something that could be done to remedy this issue or the lockup issue I'm having. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverana View Post
    DX9...I cannot see the target circles or the puddle squares etc. unless I scroll in really close to my character. This being a big problem for me as I cannot play that close up as it will give me motion sickness.

I tried both DX10 and DX11, but unfortunately, both of them lock me up for quite a while (1 to 3 minutes) before finally letting go and allowing me to move again.

So My main question here is, is there anything you can think of that I can try to stop the lockups in DX10 or 11? Or is there something I can do in order to see the target circles and spell/fire/puddle squares on the ground? It's like the Z level is just a little bit too low so it's underground sort of.

Someone in game said there was an issue with DX9 and the ground circles/squares, but I would think there would be something that could be done to remedy this issue or the lockup issue I'm having. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Unfortunately, these aren't problems which are unique to your Mac or to Macs&LOTRO in general, they are experienced by many people playing on Windows boxes as well. I get those same glitches with DirectX 9, although since my iMac has a discrete graphics card (albeit a low-end one) I can run DirectX 11 and get both excellent performance and no problems. When I do use DirectX 9 the issues with target circles and things like Lore Master tar puddles are noticeable but don't significantly impact my ability to play; I do understand that they are impacting your ability to enjoy the game even though that is not the case for me.

The invisibility of target circles at anything but close range is one of the glitches most people – Mac or Windows – have to deal with when using DirectX 9; and since your Mac has the SOC version of integrated graphics it is encountering major issues with DirectX 11. (DirectX 10 is such a mess, don't even think about it even if you could get it to work on your Mac.) So your best choice is to stick to DirectX 9 and learn to live with the minor glitches.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you. There is nothing wrong with either DirectX 9 or DirectX 11, the issue is with the code in the LOTRO client. It is possible that some future update from Microsoft might improve things somewhat, but we really need for SSG to work on their client code so that the glitches don't occur in DirectX 9 and more varieties of integrated graphics will behave properly with DirectX 11. (And they need to put in a ton of work to get their client to behave properly with DirectX 10, river beds looking dry or out of place and trees flashing bright white in certain zones is just not something that happens with other games under DirectX 10.)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7