We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Success with Crossover 20 and MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1

**See Message #17 in this thread for the "quick" 15-step process to using Crossover to successfully run LOTRO in MacOS 11 Big Sur.**

As I wrote in an earlier thread, I planned to try using Crossover to play LOTRO as soon as MacOS Big Sur was released and I was comfortable with it. I've been using Big Sur for a few days now so I decided that today was the day I'd try to install LOTRO on my main boot volume. Long story short: It was very easy to do, works great, there are a few very minor annoyances relative to running the "Mac" client in Mojave which have to be weighed against the annoyance of having to reboot into Mojave to run the regular "Mac" client.

**For whatever it's worth, I did this on a 2019 21.5" iMac with a 3.6GHz i3, 32gb of RAM, a 2tb SSD (with two APFS volumes, one for booting into Mojave and the other for booting into Big Sur), and a Radeon Pro 555X with 2gb of VRAM running my built-in monitor at its full normal "retina" display resolution of 2048x1152.**

I've been using a second boot volume with Mojave for playing LOTRO. I sometimes need to use a few 32-bit Mac applications so I reboot to Mojave every now and then anyway. The LOTRO Mac client (which is really the Windows client packaged with WINE) runs great in Mojave, I have no serious issues, but of course it's nice to not have to reboot and to have my primary system running when I want to take the game to windowed mode and use some other application for a moment while playing. And of course while Crossover (which is basically the "pro" version of WINE) has a free trial it will cost $40-$60 if one desires to keep using it after the trial period. So if you're using Mojave to play LOTRO, keep on doing it – I might, I haven't decided yet, although in my case I will get a lot more use out of Crossover than just LOTRO so I am leaning in that direction – because rebooting is not a big deal and Mojave is even still a perfectly fine primary OS if you don't absolutely need one of the features introduced in Catalina or Big Sur.

Because I had LOTRO installed on my Mojave volume already, I thought I'd be clever and avoid most of the roughly 40gb of downloading by copying over that install to my Big Sur volume before beginning the process of installing the Crossover trial and then the standard Windows version of LOTRO using Crossover. This works perfectly for getting the plugins, UI layout, and all other preferences copied over: To do this, copy the folder ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online from your Mojave volume over to your Catalina or Big Sur volume. On the other hand, the actual 40gb of data isn't going to work that way: The Mac/WINE client stores everything in ~/Library/Application Support/com.standingstonegames.lotro but Crossover is going to put the game data files into ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver and within that folder there is an entirely different folder structure. So that didn't work, I had to wait for the download which depending on your connection speed can take either a long while or a very long while. But I do recommend getting ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online copied over to your Big Sur (or Catalina) volume before doing anything else, it will save you a lot of time later. If you are installing for the first time and don't have that folder to copy over, that's fine, too, although you will have to set all your personal preferences and video options and therefore depending on how persnickety you are about such things that might take you a long time fiddling with the in-game options panel.

Crossover is here:
    https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover
    Downloading and installing Crossover was no trouble, it's like any other good signed Mac application from a trusted developer. The only things to be aware of are:
    1- You might need to give permission to Crossover to "control your Mac" – don't let that worry you, just open System Preferences as the popup tells you and do it.
    2- When Crossover starts up in trial mode you will need to click on a popup to continue the app launch, and if you have other windows open the popup might appear behind these windows where you can't see it, so if it seems as if Crossover is failing to launch look for the popup to click on it to proceed.
    Put Crossover in your /Applications folder. Or somewhere else if you really want to, it doesn't matter much, but that's what the /Applications folder is there for.

edit: IMPORTANT NOTE- Crossover performs its installations into "bottles". A bottle is basically a Windows emulation environment, even though Windows OS is never installed on your Mac. You must use a Windows 10 64-bit bottle if you want LOTRO to be able to run its 64-bit client. If you use a Windows 10 bottle without the 64-bit qualifier, it will be a 32-bit bottle which naturally cannot run 64-bit applications. BE SURE CROSSOVER HAS CREATED A WINDOWS 10 64-BIT BOTTLE AND NOT JUST A WINDOWS 10 BOTTLE BEFORE YOU START YOUR LOTRO INSTALLATION INTO THAT BOTTLE!!!

The Windows client installer for LOTRO is here:
    http://live.lotro.com/sites/clientdl.../lotrolive.exe
    Don't download the "standard resolution" version, you will save some time because the initial download will be smaller but you'll be setting yourself up for annoyances later. You can leave it in your ~/Downloads folder, no need to move it to /Applications or anywhere else and you can delete it once the install with Crossover is complete and you're sure the game is running for you.

Now launch Crossover, choose to "Install a Windows Application" then just tell Crossover where you put the Windows client installer and follow the prompts. Then go do something else for a while because your computer is going to go through the full install process which, as I described above, involves downloading about 40gb of data.
    –If it looks like the download has stalled at any time, if it looks like no progress is being made and 5 minutes later it's still in the same place, press the PAUSE button. Wait 1 minute. Then press the RESUME button and things should proceed. I had to do this once, it was probably a hiccup on my local network end.

Once the download is complete you should be presented with the server selection menu. Choose your server, press PLAY, and you should find yourself ready to create or choose a character to play!

It is possible that instead of getting into the game, the game client asks, "Where is the game client executable?" and you will be presented with a very un-Mac-like file selection screen. Do not choose lotroclient64.exe because this will not work, if you do so it will SEEM to work but then you will spend however long your patience will allow twiddling your thumbs waiting for the next screen to appear. Therefore, you need to quit out of LOTRO and Crossover and edit the UserPreferenes.ini file to change...
    GameClientType=3
    ...to...
    GameClientType=1
    The 64-bit client, lotroclient64.exe, should work but Crossover is using a 32-bit preloader for some reason so it won't (I'm going to keep trying to get the 64-bit client to work, keep checking back here for updates). For now we need to use one of the two 32-bit clients. Setting a value of 1 here sets the regular 32-bit client, lotroclient.exe. Setting a value of 2 here (which you should NOT do) sets the 32-bit client designed for older versions of Windows, lotroclient_awesomium.exe.

I have modified the next message in this thread so that the value displayed there comports with this finding.
    edit: This paragraph above will not apply if you properly created a Windows 10 64-bit bottle in Crossover into which you installed LOTRO. Please be sure to do that, if you install LOTRO into a Windows 10 bottle (without the 64-bit qualifier) you will not be able to run the 64-bit LOTRO client.

The first time you run the game you will be asked to grant LOTRO some permissions. Just as with the first run of Crossover, grant them by following the instructions and making the needed changes in System Preferences.

Now, I've read a lot about how people had trouble with black screens and stuff and had to fiddle with their configuration files in ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini to get things to work. I did not have to do this, most likely because I had (as I wrote above) copied those files from the installation I had done on my Mojave volume. If you DO get a black screen or some other glitch once you choose your server and hit the Play button, just quit out of the LOTRO client and Crossover (force-quit the LOTRO client if you have to) and then edit that UserPreferences.ini file using TextEdit. Here are the specific changes you need to make:
    ---
    Code:
    [Display]
    AllowDesktopCompositing=True
    AllowFakeFullScreen=True
    AllowWindowResizing=True
    Antialiasing=2x
    ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=True
    FixedOutputScaling=Default
    ForceFakeFullScreen=False
    FullScreen=False
    RefreshRate=Auto
    Resolution=2048x1152
    ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed
    SyncToRefresh=False
    TripleBuffering=False
    WindowedResolution=1680x945
    ---
    2- If it doesn't look like that, make whatever changes are necessary. Please note that it doesn't matter what the Antialiasing and TripleBuffering values are, Resolution should be set to whatever your actual full screen resolution is (i.e. the standard full resolution of your monitor), and WindowedResolution just has to be a value which is smaller than the value in Resolution.
    3- If you have a UserPreferences64.ini file, make the same changes there. If you don't have one, don't worry about it.
    4- Save the file (or files), quit TextEdit, then use Crossover to launch the game again.

The game is running great for me in Big Sur using Crossover. The only thing, and I mean the ONLY thing I noticed so far, is that my inventory bag window was not in the right place on the first character I loaded into the game. I put it back where it belonged, and it's stuck, no repeat of the misplacement. The only reason I'm even bothering to mention this is because it should not have happened, all my other window positions were where I left them, and the inventory bag window should have been where I left it, too, since its position is saved in the local files within ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online. But it wasn't, so I'm telling you, but it wasn't what I'd call a problem. It's just not something I understand; it shouldn't have happened.
    edit: I have discovered that this was because the version of the LOTRO client I was running in Mojave was the 64-bit client which stores its preferences in UserPreferences64.ini rather than in UserPreferences.ini, but as I described above only the 32-bit client will run under Crossover. So this little mystery is resolved.
    edit: The 64-bit client runs fine in Crossover and is definitely the client you want to run. Just be sure that Crossover creates a Windows 10 64-bit bottle for the LOTRO installation, not just a Windows 10 bottle because without the 64-bit qualifier it will not run 64-bit executables.

So there it is! Whether you boot into Mojave to run the game using the WINE client provided by SSG or play within Big Sur (or Catalina) using Crossover and SSG's Windows client there are some minor annoyances either way. I'm still not sure which way I'll go once the Crossover trial is over, in my case I can get a lot of other use out of Crossover than just the ability to run LOTRO in Big Sur so I am leaning in that direction. But rebooting isn't a big deal and for most people Mojave is a perfectly fine primary OS so the expense of Crossover is not going to be worth it for most people. I guess I just wish that SSG would contract with Codeweavers (the makers of Crossover) to give us a proper port of the Windows client with all the little glitches (such as the inability to use the game launcher's checkboxes) ironed out.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Feb 19 2021 at 07:33 PM.

Contents of UserPreferences.ini

The following is the contents of my UserPreferences.ini file (edit: as of 2021-03-17) with a few redactions (such as my personal information). You might want to duplicate my settings if you are having trouble getting the game to launch with Crossover under Catalina or Big Sur. Please note that you should read the entire first message of the thread and enter screen resolution settings which will work for you, obviously what you see here is for a 2048x1152 monitor. If your Mac has less/more horsepower than mine, especially in the video card/VRAM department, you might need to/want to set your various video settings lower/higher but this should be a good place to start.

You should only need to modify your [Launcher], [Display], [Graphics], [Render], and [Troubleshooting] sections. The others should have no effect on whether your game client will successfully launch or how well the game runs although you are of course welcome to try my settings to see how they work for you as you might like.

Note that if you run the 64-bit version of the LOTRO client, which you will do if you set GameClientType=3 within UserPreferences.ini, the game will create another file, UserPreferences64.ini. UserPreferences64.ini is where the game stores most of your settings for whenever you use the 64-bit client but UserPreferences.ini will be used whenever you use the 32-bit client and UserPreferences.ini also includes the preferences for the LOTRO launcher app regardless of the client type you have set. This is important to know in case you want to keep your settings synchronized should you switch between client types for some reason. The [Launcher] and [User] settings are only in UserPrefereences.ini, even when using the 64-bit client the game reads those settings from UserPreferences.ini rather than UserPreferences64.ini.

Here are the contents of my UserPreferences.ini file:
    Code:
    [Launcher]
    LastLocale=en
    FirstRun=false
    AllowMultipleInstances=true
    WindowGeometry=@ByteArray(\x1\xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x1\0\0\0\0\x2\x99\0\0\0\x1a\0\0\x5h\0\0\x2\x42\0\0\x2\x99\0\0\0\x1a\0\0\x5h\0\0\x2\x42\0\0\0\0\0\0)
    PreCache=true
    SelectLastPlayedWorld=false
    GameClientType=3
    LoadOnStartup=false
    AskBeforeDownload=false
    ThrottleDownload=false
    ThrottleDownloadRate=4
    AutoRetrieveUpdates=false
    AutoRetrieveUpdatesInterval=1
    KeepLauncherOpen=false
    UseHighResolutionGameData=true

[User_1]
    ===THIS SECTION REDACTED FOR PRIVACY===

[Camera]
    AlignToSlope=False
    ResetYawWhenPlayerMoves=False

[Display]
    AllowFakeFullScreen=True
    AllowWindowResizing=True
    Antialiasing=2x
    FullScreen=False
    RefreshRate=Auto
    Resolution=2048x1152
    SyncToRefresh=False
    TripleBuffering=False

[Graphics]
    PVMPPerformanceOverride=True

[Input]
    InvertMouseLookYAxis=False
    JoystickDeadZone=0.25
    MouseLookSensitivity=0.10
    MouseLookSmoothingAmount=0.00
    PitchKeySpeed=60.00
    RollKeySpeed=60.00
    TurnKeySpeed=150.00
    XInputDetection=False

[International]
    UseIME=False

[Misc]
    PlayedIntroMovie=True
    TooltipDelay=0.10
    TooltipEnable=True

[Net]
    BindInterface=
    ComputeUniquePort=True
    ConnectionSpeed=0.00
    UserSpecifiedPort=0

[Render]
    AllowGammaChanges=True
    AlphaToCoverage=False
    AmbientLightBoost=0.00
    AmbientOcclusion=False
    AnisotropicQuality=4
    AspectRatio=Auto
    AtmosphericsDetail=High
    BlobShadows=True
    BloomIntensity=1.00
    BlurFilterQuality=High
    Brightness=1.00
    Contrast=1.00
    D3DVersionPromptedForAtStartup=10
    DisplayAdapter=0
    DistantImposters=True
    DynamicParticles=All
    EnablePortraits=True
    EnvironmentStencilShadows=True
    FarLandscapeNormalMaps=True
    FrillDensity=0.50
    FrillDistance=High
    Gamma=1.00
    GlowMapping=True
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    HavePromptedForD3D10AtStartup=False
    InteractiveWater=Low
    LandscapeDrawDistance=High
    LandscapeLightingQuality=High
    LandscapeShoreEffects=Low
    LandscapeStaticObjectShadows=High
    MaterialDetail=High
    MaxHardwareClass=0
    MeasuredFillRate=0.10
    MemoryUsage=1.00
    MeshCombining=False
    ModelDetail=High
    MultiPassLighting=True
    ObjectDrawDistance=High
    OverbrightBloomFilter=True
    PlayerCrowdQuality=1.00
    PrecipitationEffects=True
    ShadowMapQuality=1
    SpecularLighting=True
    StaticEnvironmentalObjects=True
    StencilShadows=High
    SurfaceReflections=High
    TextureDetail=High
    TextureFiltering=Sharp
    VideoPostEffects=True
    VolumetricLight=True

[Sound]
    AmbientVolume=0.75
    CombatVolume=1.00
    DefaultVolume=1.00
    EAXEnabled=False
    FocusBehavior=Mute Sound
    MasterVolume=1.00
    MaxPlayingSounds=64
    MusicDisabled=False
    MusicVolume=0.50
    PersistentSound=False
    PlayerMusicVolume=1.00
    QuantizedPlayerMusicVolume=1.00
    SFXVolume=1.00
    SoundDisabled=False
    SoundFeatures=OpenAL Soft on Built-in Output
    SoundProvider=OpenAL
    UIVolume=1.00
    VOVolume=1.00

[Troubleshooting]
    EngineSpeed=VeryHigh
    MaximumFrameRate=30

[UI]
    CharSelectSortType=0
    FloatyTextOnTop=False
    FloatyTextOpacity=1.00
    FloatyTextScale=1.00
    RadarMovementSmoothing=True
    WebstoreExternalWindow=False
    MapQuestListXScreenPercentage=0.00
    MapQuestListYScreenPercentage=0.68
    MountAppearanceShowPlayerMounted=True
    Bag1Columns=9
    Bag2Columns=5
    Bag3Columns=5
    Bag4Columns=5
    Bag5Columns=5
    Bag6Columns=5
    BankRepositoryAccountItemDisplayShowText=True
    BankRepositoryCharacterItemDisplayShowText=True
    BankRepositorySharedHousingItemDisplayShowText=True
    BankRepositoryStandardHousingItemDisplayShowText=True
    StatTreeShowAllStats=False

[Voice]
    DefaultGroupVolume=0.75
    DeviceCapture=04D47EC6-2F38-4902-8389-5E0E547CFE70
    DevicePlayback=F4157975-51AE-4177-986B-87E92794ADE7
    HandsFree=False
    MicCaptureThreshold=0.10
    MicVolume=1.00
    NetworkLatencyThresh=250
    VoiceVolume=1.00

[HttpProxy]
    HttpProxyAccess=PreConfig
    HttpProxy=:0
    HttpProxyAuthenticate=false
    HttpProxyUsername=
    HttpProxyPassword=
    HttpProxyBypass=
    And here are the contents of my UserPreferences64.ini file:
    Code:
    [Camera]
    AlignToSlope=False
    ResetYawWhenPlayerMoves=False

[Display]
    AllowFakeFullScreen=True
    AllowWindowResizing=True
    Antialiasing=2x
    FullScreen=False
    RefreshRate=Auto
    Resolution=2048x1152
    SyncToRefresh=False
    TripleBuffering=False

[Graphics]
    PVMPPerformanceOverride=True

[Input]
    InvertMouseLookYAxis=False
    JoystickDeadZone=0.25
    MouseLookSensitivity=0.10
    MouseLookSmoothingAmount=0.00
    PitchKeySpeed=60.00
    RollKeySpeed=60.00
    TurnKeySpeed=150.00
    XInputDetection=False

[International]
    UseIME=False

[Misc]
    PlayedIntroMovie=True
    TooltipDelay=0.10
    TooltipEnable=True

[Net]
    BindInterface=
    ComputeUniquePort=True
    ConnectionSpeed=0.00
    UserSpecifiedPort=0

[Render]
    AllowGammaChanges=True
    AlphaToCoverage=False
    AmbientLightBoost=0.00
    AmbientOcclusion=True
    AnisotropicQuality=4
    AspectRatio=Auto
    AtmosphericsDetail=High
    BlobShadows=True
    BloomIntensity=1.00
    BlurFilterQuality=High
    Brightness=1.00
    Contrast=1.00
    D3DVersionPromptedForAtStartup=11
    DisplayAdapter=0
    DistantImposters=True
    DynamicParticles=All
    EnablePortraits=True
    EnvironmentStencilShadows=True
    FarLandscapeNormalMaps=True
    FrillDensity=0.50
    FrillDistance=UltraHigh
    Gamma=1.00
    GlowMapping=True
    GraphicsCore=D3D11
    HavePromptedForD3D10AtStartup=False
    InteractiveWater=High
    LandscapeDrawDistance=VeryHigh
    LandscapeLightingQuality=VeryHigh
    LandscapeShoreEffects=Low
    LandscapeStaticObjectShadows=High
    MaterialDetail=High
    MaxHardwareClass=0
    MeasuredFillRate=inf
    MemoryUsage=1.00
    MeshCombining=False
    ModelDetail=UltraHigh
    MultiPassLighting=True
    ObjectDrawDistance=UltraHigh
    OverbrightBloomFilter=True
    PlayerCrowdQuality=1.00
    PrecipitationEffects=True
    ShadowMapQuality=2
    SpecularLighting=True
    StaticEnvironmentalObjects=True
    StencilShadows=UltraHigh
    SurfaceReflections=UltraHigh
    TextureDetail=VeryHigh
    TextureFiltering=Anisotropic
    VideoPostEffects=True
    VolumetricLight=True
    PerPixelLightingAttenuation=True

[Sound]
    AmbientVolume=0.75
    CombatVolume=1.00
    DefaultVolume=1.00
    EAXEnabled=False
    FocusBehavior=Mute Sound
    MasterVolume=1.00
    MaxPlayingSounds=64
    MusicDisabled=False
    MusicVolume=0.50
    PersistentSound=False
    PlayerMusicVolume=1.00
    QuantizedPlayerMusicVolume=1.00
    SFXVolume=1.00
    SoundDisabled=False
    SoundFeatures=OpenAL Soft on Built-in Output
    SoundProvider=OpenAL
    UIVolume=1.00
    VOVolume=1.00

[Troubleshooting]
    EngineSpeed=VeryHigh
    MaximumFrameRate=30

[UI]
    CharSelectSortType=0
    FloatyTextOnTop=False
    FloatyTextOpacity=1.00
    FloatyTextScale=1.00
    RadarMovementSmoothing=True
    WebstoreExternalWindow=False
    MapQuestListXScreenPercentage=0.00
    MapQuestListYScreenPercentage=0.68
    MountAppearanceShowPlayerMounted=True
    Bag1Columns=9
    Bag2Columns=5
    Bag3Columns=5
    Bag4Columns=5
    Bag5Columns=5
    Bag6Columns=5
    BankRepositoryAccountItemDisplayShowText=True
    BankRepositoryCharacterItemDisplayShowText=True
    BankRepositorySharedHousingItemDisplayShowText=True
    BankRepositoryStandardHousingItemDisplayShowText=True
    StatTreeShowAllStats=True

[Voice]
    DefaultGroupVolume=0.75
    DeviceCapture=C3932EE7-E635-469F-A912-75B20452C6F6
    DevicePlayback=E241D723-2060-4E0D-989B-D3CD01198824
    HandsFree=False
    MicCaptureThreshold=0.10
    MicVolume=1.00
    NetworkLatencyThresh=250
    VoiceVolume=1.00

[HttpProxy]
    HttpProxyAccess=PreConfig
    HttpProxy=:0
    HttpProxyAuthenticate=false
    HttpProxyUsername=
    HttpProxyPassword=
    HttpProxyBypass=
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Mar 17 2021 at 09:41 PM.

I've installed a few other Windows applications using Crossover and they're all running well so I decided to purchase Crossover from Codeweavers. There is a ridiculously expensive lifetime license, or one can go for a "current version only" license for $40 or a "current version plus any updates for the next year" for $60. The latter includes additional support options as well and since I'm going to use some business applications with Crossover that was the better bet for me, so that's what I chose.

There is currently a 35% discount code available here:
    https://www.retailmenot.com/view/cod...DPINQ6YAPJTGAE
    As I write this, the discount code is: CX35

So I got the $60 one-year-of-upgrades license for under $40, which I think is a pretty good deal given how much I've been playing LOTRO and therefore how much I'm going to be using Crossover to play LOTRO, and the non-gaming applications which keep me from having to boot into a Boot Camp/Windows volume or use a (bleck) Windows box in order to access them. So for me: Worth it! As I wrote in the first message of this thread, though, if you can boot into Mojave when you want to play LOTRO or are sticking with Mojave as your primary OS there is no particular advantage to running LOTRO in Catalina/Big Sur using Crossover relative to the Mac/WINE LOTRO client in Mojave plus doing so won't cost you $40-$60 per year on top of whatever you're already spending on this lovely game.

edit: There is one advantage to running LOTRO in Crossover and that is the ability to enable DirectX 10 and DirectX 11. There really isn't that much of a difference between D3D9 and D3D10: You can enable a few bits of extra eye candy. Both can glitch, DirectX 9 has more display issues but they are very minor while DirectX 10 has more rare display issues in only a few zones that I've tested so far but they are extremely distracting. On the other hand, D3D11 has none of the glitches present with D3D9 or D3D10 and there's even more eye candy so I'd recommend using DirectX 11 if possible. If you are running the "Mac"/WINE client provided by SSG you can run the 64-bit client, and should, but can use only DirectX 9 (and of course can run only in versions of MacOS which are Mojave or earlier) – not a big deal, DirectX 9 is fine, the glitches are minor and the game is still gorgeous.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Dec 22 2020 at 11:08 AM.

Couple of notes that I will add to if anything else comes up as I continue to play LOTRO using Crossover 20 and MacOS Big Sur:

1- DirectX 10 vs DirectX 9
    a- It is important that during the first run of the game when it asks you if you want to use DirectX 10 that you say NO – you can enable DirectX 10 using the in-game graphics options later.
    b- DirectX 10 works fine. I can't say I notice any difference in visual quality or framerate or anything else when using DirectX 10 vs DirectX 9. Using DirectX 10 allows you to enable some extra eye-candy effects in the graphics options but again, I can't detect any difference – there probably IS a difference but I didn't experiment with it very much.
    edit: So a few more days using DirectX 10 and sometimes switching to DirectX 9 in order to compare the image quality and performance and I have discovered one thing: In DirectX 9 there is sometimes an odd video artifact where a part of the ground near the character appears to be shaded differently. It doesn't happen all the time or at least isn't very visible all the time but in certain areas such as in Thorin's Hall in Ered Luin it is very obvious. I remember this from the couple of months I was playing using the Mac/WINE client under Mojave when I was always using DirectX 9. When using DirectX 10 this video artifact never appears so that is definitely a positive reason to use DirectX 10 rather than DirectX 9.
    c- If you use DirectX 10 instead of DirectX 9, when you quit out of the game and then quit Crossover, Crossover will complain that it can't close the LOTRO process properly and will ask if you want to force-quit the process with the warning that any unsaved changes will be lost. You can let it force-quit the process, no changes will be lost, it's just the WINE compatibility layer that isn't closing properly when the LOTRO executable shuts down.
    edit: The issue in (c) only occurs when running the 32-bit LOTRO client. If you run the 64-bit LOTRO client (and you should), the WINE compatibility layer will quit itself properly when you quit the game.
    d- More testing and I am getting extremely bad graphical glitching in Rivendell and The Shire with DirectX 10. Trees and some smaller ground objects turn very bright white and can "flash" between the white and their proper appearance. Very annoying. Got some weird behavior with the waterfall spray in Rivendell, too. I've only seen this problem in those two areas. DirectX 9 has issues of its own but while more common they aren't as annoying.
    edit: Even more testing and I find that when running DirectX 10 and getting those odd flashing effects in The Shire and Rivendell (only place I've noticed it so far), disabling High Quality Lighting in the "Adv Graphics" options eliminates the issue. I like the pretties in DirectX 10 so I've been playing with it rather than DirectX 9, and when I see the annoying flashing I turn off High Quality Lighting until I leave that zone. Having High Quality Lighting off removes a lot of detail on nearby objects, I wouldn't recommend leaving it off all the time unless your computer doesn't have the horsepower to handle it and maintain decent frame rates.
    edit: I went to Evendim with a toon yesterday (2020-12-09) and DirectX 10 with High Quality Lighting was causing some flashing but also has serious issues with the river, not correctly drawing the boundaries of the river and depending on the position of the toon and the angle at which I was looking at it making the river bed look dry, like there was no water at all. With High Quality Lighting disabled the flashes and minor glitches disappeared but DirectX 10 still had trouble with the river. This is a shame, DirectX 10 – when it's not glitching – is nicer than DirectX 9 but the glitches are significant when they happen and as I discovered yesterday can't be addressed by disabling some sub-setting within DirectX 10. DirectX 9 is slightly lower quality (I think you'd have to really look hard to see the difference, though) and has an issue with shadows sometimes, but those glitches – while more common – are extremely minor and easy to live with. So I've decided to go back to DirectX 9 full time and except for an occasional test won't be bothering with DirectX 10 anymore. If those tests show an improvement later I will report back here.

2- First startup from a "naked" install
    edit: After installation and before attempting to run the game for the first time, it is very important that you use System Preferences to set your monitor to its lowest possible resolution. You can set it back to its default or your preferred resolution after you get the game through a successful first run.
    If you don't have a ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online folder with a UserPreferences.ini file you will probably find that the LOTRO client will appear to fail to run under Crossover. It WILL work but you need to make changes to the UserPreferences.ini file to force the LOTRO launcher app to choose the correct executable and resolution settings. If you do not do these things, the game will never launch to the point where you can get to the in-game options to make the required changes. You should only have to do this once because you can then use the in-game options panel to make any other changes you desire.
    a- After you've tried to run the game one time and it's failed, quit out of Crossover then edit the UserPreferences.ini file (which is inside ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online) using TextEdit to add (or edit) the following line:
    ---
    GameClientType=3
    ---
    b- Add or edit the following lines, the important ones relate to resolution and full screen mode:
    ---
    Code:
    [Display]
    AllowFakeFullScreen=True
    AllowWindowResizing=True
    Antialiasing=2x
    FullScreen=False
    RefreshRate=Auto
    Resolution=2048x1152
    SyncToRefresh=False
    TripleBuffering=False
    ---
    You can ignore the Antialiasing and TripleBuffering values, that's just what works nicely on my Mac. You have to set Resolution to a value equal to your monitor's resolution, 2048x1152 happens to be my monitor's resolution. You have to set WindowedResolution to a value SMALLER than the one you set in Resolution, 1280x720 is a good safe bet for pretty much any Mac and you can increase it later if you want to. ScreenMode must be FullScreenWindowed or Windowed! You can change it to FullScreen later but you must get the game to run in Windowed or FullScreenWindowed successfully at least one time.
    edit: If you have a UserPreferences64.ini file, make the same changes to Resolution, WindowedResolution, and ScreenMode therein as well.

3- First startup if you already have a The Lord of the Rings Online folder in your Documents folder with a UserPreferences.ini file from a previous installation THAT WAS WORKING under Mojave or earlier and SSG's Mac/WINE client
    edit: After installation and before attempting to run the game for the first time, it is very important that you use System Preferences to set your monitor to its lowest possible resolution. You can set it back to its default or your preferred resolution after you get the game through a successful first run.
    a- You should not have to mess with the [Display] settings but...
    b- ...you will still have to do what's described in 2a above, to set GameClientType=1 because if you were running the Mac/WINE client under Mojave (or earlier) that will have a value of 3 which will NOT work with Crossover. I think it has something to do with Crossover not being able to run lotroclient64.exe or the LOTRO launcher app not being able to properly path to it with Crossover; doesn't matter, the 32-bit client lotroclient.exe works fine and as far as I can determine you lose nothing by running that instead of lotroclient64.exe.
    edit: If you have correctly installed LOTRO into a Windows 10 64-bit bottle you can (and should) run the 64-bit client, so set GameClientType=3. Setting that value to 1 will force the 32-bit client.

4- I hate larding up my ~/Library folder with gigabytes of data when said data can safely reside elsewhere. So I moved the Crossover Bottles folder to another location. I chose to create a folder called Crossover Bottles inside ~/Applications (please note that is a folder called Applications inside my /Users/MYUSERNAMENONEOFYOURBUSNESS/Applications folder, not /Applications). There are a few steps to doing that:
    a- Be sure that Crossover is NOT running!
    b- Create a folder called Crossover Bottles anywhere you want. You can read directly above where I chose to put it.
    c- Drag the Bottles folder from the ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver folder into the folder you created in (b).
    d- Open a Terminal window and type this:
    defaults write com.codeweavers.CrossOver BottleDir
    Be sure there is a space after "BottleDir" and then drag the Bottles folder into the Terminal window, doing so will create the proper path to the Bottles directory so you don't have to type it and risk a mistake. Then hit the RETURN key and the change will be made, Crossover will now know to look in your chosen location for the Bottles directory which is where all the hefty data is stored.
    e- Quit out of Terminal then relaunch Crossover to be sure it still sees your bottles, i.e. still sees whatever Windows stuff you installed such as LOTRO.
    f- If you do NOT see the Windows stuff you installed you made a mistake. If you made a mistake, try again and don't mistype the command line!
    g- If you can't get it to work, worst case scenario is you have to drag the Bottles directory back to the ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver folder and then run this command line in the Terminal:
    defaults delete com.codeweavers.CrossOver BottleDir
    That will reset Crossover to look in the default location for its bottles, which is inside your Application Support folder which is inside your user Library folder.

5- There might be a good reason to run in Full Screen (Windowed) mode rather than in Full Screen mode so I've changed the suggested [Display] settings in (2) above:
    a- If your Mac decides there's a Very Important Notification it is going to minimize your game if it's in Full Screen mode. (Normal notifications do not cause this to happen.) That has happened to me with incoming phone calls. No big deal, right? Well, if you click on wine32on64-preloader in your Dock, which is where the LOTRO client is running, the full screen game will flow back onto your screen but the game will be completely frozen – you will be able to move your mouse cursor around but the game will accept no input. Each time this happened I had to quit Crossover which of course quits the LOTRO client app and the LOTRO launcher when it closes. So just this morning (2020-11-20) I put the game into Full Screen (Windowed) mode instead and now when calls come in I can go back to the game without a problem.
    b- Naturally, you might not have your Mac set up to take incoming phone calls or you can choose to suspend the acceptance of incoming calls on your Mac while you play. But switching to another Desktop Space has the same effect which means I have to command-return to non-full-screen Windowed mode before going to another Desktop Space to avoid the freeze glitch upon returning to the game anyway. Running in Full Screen (Windowed) does not cause the game output to be minimized to the Dock when a Very Important Notification comes in or when switching to another Desktop Space so that's probably the way to go for most people. If you don't use multiple Desktop Spaces you can still get to a smaller window by either going into the in-game options or by hitting command-return.
    c- Note that if you use command-return to go from Full Screen (Windowed) mode to Windowed mode and then hit command-return again, it will take you to Full Screen mode. To get back to Full Screen (Windowed) mode after being in Windowed mode, you need to go into the in-game options and set Full Screen (Windowed) mode that way.

6- Related to (1) above: DirectX 11 works very nicely and based on my testing so far I strongly recommend using it instead of either DirectX 9 or DirectX 10. You can read more about enabling DirectX 11 in this other thread of mine here:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Big-Sur-11-1)

7- Do not set your LOTRO luncher application to remain open while you play and do not choose to "remain logged in for 8 hours" as both of these settings can cause problems. This is true for both the "Mac"/WINE client and the Crossover/Windows client. In fact, those settings can cause problems for users of Windows boxes, too.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Mar 17 2021 at 09:47 PM.

Many thanks for this. I managed to get LOTRO downloaded and installed under Big Sur using Crossover with few problems. However..... being a complete newbie..... whenever I hit Play Free Now, which I assume is the main entry point to the game, I just get the user sign in dialogue - even tho' I'm already logged in, and never get beyond. How do I actually start to select a server/select a character/play a game?

Quote Originally Posted by TonySixWhiskeys View Post
    Many thanks for this. I managed to get LOTRO downloaded and installed under Big Sur using Crossover with few problems. However..... being a complete newbie..... whenever I hit Play Free Now, which I assume is the main entry point to the game, I just get the user sign in dialogue - even tho' I'm already logged in, and never get beyond. How do I actually start to select a server/select a character/play a game?
    Hi, Tony!

I'm not sure if you're having an issue signing in with your account credentials or if the game's client application is having trouble loading, or if you aren't running the game at all. I suspect that you aren't running the game at all.

Because the only place I know that PLAY FREE NOW appears is on the website. That takes you to a page where you can create your account and choose a password and so forth. But that doesn't launch the game. To get into the game you need to launch the Crossover application. Once that finishes launching you should see an icon for The Lord of the Rings Online which you need to double-click to launch LOTRO's "launcher" application. Once that finishes launching the launcher application will have fields to enter your chosen user name and password, the same you are using for posting here on the forums. You will also see a list of "Available worlds" and you will need to choose one on which to make your first character. Then you click the PLAY button and the launcher application will launch the actual LOTRO client application.

If the LOTRO client fails to launch at that point, you will need to quit out of the game and out of Crossover and then use TextEdit or some other text editor to make the changes to the UserPreferences.ini file which I describe in the first message of this thread. Specifically:
    If you DO get a black screen or some other glitch once you choose your server and hit the Play button, just quit out of the LOTRO client and Crossover (force-quit the LOTRO client if you have to) and then edit that UserPreferences.ini file using TextEdit. Here are the specific changes you need to make:
    1- Look for the section labeled [Display]. It should look like this:
    ---
    [Display]
    AllowFakeFullScreen=True
    AllowWindowResizing=True
    Antialiasing=2x
    ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=T rue
    FullScreen=False
    RefreshRate=Auto
    Resolution=2048x1152
    SyncToRefresh=False
    TripleBuffering=False
    If you get a dialogue that says, ""Where is the game client executable?" and a very un-Mac-like file selector appears, you need to make this other change to the UserPreferences.ini file which I described in the first message:
    GameClientType=1
    In the case of each line, if it already exists, just change the value of that line to match. If it doesn't exist, create the line in its entirety. And remember that the value for Resolution should match your monitor's resolution and the value for WindowedResolution just has to be smaller than whatever you entered for Resolution (1280x720 is a good place to start if you don't know what to put there). THE MOST IMPORTANT LINE is the ScreenMode value, which really has to be FullScreenWindowed. Once you get the game to launch one time you can change that to Windowed or FullScreen but for best chance for success at a first successful launch you need to set ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed.

I do hope this helps. Please let me know how it works out for you. If I misapprehended the problem you were having, please explain better – possibly include screenshots – and I will do my best to help you get to a successful entry into the game.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Nov 25 2020 at 04:05 PM.

I think this will be a great help, as I've been interested in using Crossover on Big Sur instead of having my separate volume with Mojave on it. Many thanks!

I'm not super technical with this stuff though, so it was a bit overwhelming to read through. Do I read it right that you must use the 32-bit client if using Crossover?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelmegil View Post
    I'm not super technical with this stuff though, so it was a bit overwhelming to read through.
    Sorry about that. I did err on the side of thoroughness (or wordiness) over brevity.
    edit: See Message #17 in this thread for a fairly brief set of instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelmegil View Post
    Do I read it right that you must use the 32-bit client if using Crossover?
    I've been trying to get the 64-bit client, lotroclient64.exe, to launch but can't. If GameClientType=3 is set in UserPreferences.ini the LOTRO launcher app will ask, "Where is the game client executable?" and you will be presented with a very un-Mac-like file selection screen. If you choose lotroclient64.exe it will not run. When asked you can instead choose lotroclient.exe (which is the standard 32-bit client) and it will run but that's the same as setting GameClientType=1. So it's best to set GameClientType=1 before attempting to run the game for the first time. For whatever it's worth I can detect no practical differences between the 32-bit and the 64-bit clients during actual play.

The Mac/WINE client that runs under Mojave and earlier DOES use the 64-bit client. So I suspect the issue is with Crossover insisting on using wine32on64-preloader rather than some 64-only preloader. I have reported this to Codeweavers in their forum...
    https://www.codeweavers.com/compatib...ine?msg=232695
    ...but have not yet received an acknowledgment or response.

edit: Please see message 14 in this thread. The reason I could not get the 64-bit client to work is because in my ignorance as a first-time user of Crossover, I installed LOTRO into a Windows 10 bottle instead of a Windows 10 64-bit bottle. Naturally, a 64-bit application requires 64-bit Windows and a Windows 10 bottle (without the 64-bit signifier) is a 32-bit emulator. Just be sure you have Crossover create a Windows 10 64-bit bottle before beginning the installation of LOTRO into that bottle to avoid these issues.

Be sure to copy your ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online folder from your Mojave volume to your Big Sur volume before installing LOTRO on your Big Sur volume. Be absolutely sure that the ScreenMode line in UserPreferences.ini is either ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed or ScreenMode=Windowed before attempting to run the game for the first time. You can change to ScreenMode=FullScreen later after the game has been successfully run one time, if that is your preference; I play using the ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed setting.

Let me know how it works out for you!
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Dec 22 2020 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks.... I think the problem is that my installation was corrupted by my antivirus software. I'll reinstall and hopefully get it up and running!

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    Hi, Tony!

I'm not sure if you're having an issue signing in with your account credentials or if the game's client application is having trouble loading, or if you aren't running the game at all. I suspect that you aren't running the game at all.

Because the only place I know that PLAY FREE NOW appears is on the website. That takes you to a page where you can create your account and choose a password and so forth. But that doesn't launch the game. To get into the game you need to launch the Crossover application. Once that finishes launching you should see an icon for The Lord of the Rings Online which you need to double-click to launch LOTRO's "launcher" application. Once that finishes launching the launcher application will have fields to enter your chosen user name and password, the same you are using for posting here on the forums. You will also see a list of "Available worlds" and you will need to choose one on which to make your first character. Then you click the PLAY button and the launcher application will launch the actual LOTRO client application.

If the LOTRO client fails to launch at that point, you will need to quit out of the game and out of Crossover and then use TextEdit or some other text editor to make the changes to the UserPreferences.ini file which I describe in the first message of this thread. Specifically:

If you get a dialogue that says, ""Where is the game client executable?" and a very un-Mac-like file selector appears, you need to make this other change to the UserPreferences.ini file which I described in the first message:

In the case of each line, if it already exists, just change the value of that line to match. If it doesn't exist, create the line in its entirety. And remember that the value for Resolution should match your monitor's resolution and the value for WindowedResolution just has to be smaller than whatever you entered for Resolution (1280x720 is a good place to start if you don't know what to put there). THE MOST IMPORTANT LINE is the ScreenMode value, which really has to be FullScreenWindowed. Once you get the game to launch one time you can change that to Windowed or FullScreen but for best chance for success at a first successful launch you need to set ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed.

I do hope this helps. Please let me know how it works out for you. If I misapprehended the problem you were having, please explain better – possibly include screenshots – and I will do my best to help you get to a successful entry into the game.

Thank you for this excellent writeup.

I have gotten Lotro (with the 64 bit client) to run on Big Sur with Crossover 2.02 on my MacBook Pro 13inch but it has been somewhat problematic and I don't think its specifically related to the 64bit client.

I have been waiting to put it on my main machine until I saw something like this. THANKS!!

My issues with the MacBook Pro have all bee related to black screen when the game starts on the MacBook Pro. I had a previous install working on Catalina and Had no problems. After installing big sur I got a black screen when starting the game.

To get it running I had to set the display resolution to scaled with the largest size in settings. Then I blew away my config files in my "The Lord of the Rings Online" folder in my documents folder. Then when the game started I selected directX 9 (Not sure if that had any affect). When the game started, it started in full screen mode. I went into options and set it to windowed mode and exited the game (this is key). I updated the Userpreferences.ini file to "GameCLientType=3" in the launcher section of the file. Then I set the macOS display settings back to "Default for Display". Then I was able to run the game successfully. Then I backed up the working config files.

The problem I am having is that If I change the windowed game resolution to anything higher then 1024x768, it gets stuck in the black screen and never starts up again. I force quit the "winepreloader-64" process and restore the configs I backed up and it works again but the resolution it runs on is not really ideal for me. Not really that big a problem since its not my main machine and I really don't like running the game on the MacBook Pro. I have had other anomalies with the MacBook Pro and lotro, specifically, when I am playing I will run into areas where the entire landscape has rainbow colours. Totally psychodelic but not fun to play lotro in.

With all that being said, I think the issues I am having are related to the MacBook Pro and you have given me the courage to upgrade my iMac 27 machine to Big Sur. I hate running old versions of the OS if I don't have to.

Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorander View Post
    I have gotten Lotro (with the 64 bit client) to run on Big Sur with Crossover 2.02...
    I assume you meant Crossover 20.0.2.

OK, I am going to try that right now. The results of my attempt using the method you described I will detail just below:
    Nope, didn't work. Here is exactly what I did:
    1- I moved the The Lord of the Rings Online folder out of my ~/Documents folder. That is the same as "blowing away" my config files only more thorough.
    2- I changed my screen resolution to the "largest size" which means the lowest resolution, for me that's 1280x720. (Note that if you hold the option key while clicking on the SCALED radio button you will see the actual resolution values rather than just larger or smaller sample screen images.)
    3- I launched Crossover, where of course I have LOTRO already installed.
    4- I launched the game (actually it's the game's launcher app).
    5- I entered my user name and password then hit LOG IN.
    6- I chose my usual server then hit PLAY. (At some point here I was asked to read and agree to TOS stuff, I don't remember exactly where.)
    7- An un-Mac-like dialogue appeared asking if I wanted to use DirectX 10. I chose NO.
    8- A dialogue appeared asking if I wanted to download the high-res game data. I said YES. (It didn't have to actually do this since I have that downloaded and installed already.)
    9- The game launched in full-screen mode. When it got itself to the character selection screen I went into options and chose windowed mode.
    10- I quit out of the game and made sure the launcher app had also quit.
    11- I opened the new UserPreferences.ini file, confirmed that ScreenMode=Windowed; it was.
    12- I changed GameClientType=1 to GameClientType=3.
    13- Resolution=1280x720 which was as expected but WindowedResolution was set to some random alphanumeric characters so I changed that to WindowedResolution=1280x720.
    14- I launched the game launcher, entered my password, hit PLAY and got the ""Where is the game client executable?" dialogue. I chose lotroclient64.exe and was presented with this:

So no joy for me in terms of getting the 64-bit client, lotroclient64.exe, to be used instead of the 32-bit client, lotroclient.exe. You seem to be getting Crossover to use the winepreloader-64 wrapper which is definitely what is needed to run a 64-bit application; I seem to always get the wine32on64-preloader which is what Crossover uses to run 32-bit Windows apps on 64-bit-only systems like Catalina and Big Sur and I think that is why I can't get the 64-bit LOTRO client to run – and I'm totally stuck here, I have no idea how to change Crossover or if it's even possible to do so. I guess it IS possible since it's working for you.

edit: See Message 14 in this thread for details. The important thing is to install LOTRO into a Windows 10 64-bit bottle within Crossover. I let Crossover use its default which is a Windows 10 bottle (without the 64-bit signifier) so it's a 32-bit environment which obviously cannot run a 64-bit application. I corrected this (again, see Message 14 for details) and I am now running the 64-bit client with no issues.

QUESTION FOR YOU: One thought I have is, I wonder if you are using the Windows client (I am) or the "Mac" client (which is still the Windows client but packaged with WINE by SSG). I know that when I run the "Mac" client in Mojave, it uses the 64-bit executable, lotroclient64.exe. I've been thinking about trying to install the "Mac" client instead and haven't tried it yet because, first, the game is running fine for me using the 32-bit client, lotroclient.exe; and second, because I really am not looking forward to another 40gb download over my not-too-speedy home network just to try something that very well might be a difference that makes no difference. I WILL try it if the version of LOTRO you have installed on Crossover is the "Mac" client.

The problem I am having is that If I change the windowed game resolution to anything higher then 1024x768, it gets stuck in the black screen and never starts up again.
    That sounds like an incompatibility with the resolution of the monitor and the resolution output of the game engine (which is the same problem requiring all the hoops to get into Windowed mode in the first place and needing to do first run of the game at minimum resolution). Go to System Preferences->Displays, click the SCALED radio button while holding the option key, and see if you can get 1280x720. It's a proper 16:9 resolution, you might get black bars on the top and bottom or the sides of your screen because your laptop's screen is not precisely 16:9. But it ought to be compatible with the game output. If that works, you might try increasing that to a larger 16:9 resolution. Also, I will just mention that with either the "Mac" client (under Mojave) or the Windows client (under Big Sur and using Crossover), I can set any resolution I want for both my monitor and the game output, and run in Windowed, FullScreenWindowed, or FullScreen modes with no trouble at all.

...when I am playing I will run into areas where the entire landscape has rainbow colours.
    That sounds like your video card is overheating. It could be some other issue with your video card. You might want to try to force your MacBook Pro to use the integrated graphics rather than the discrete graphics card in the laptop.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Nov 24 2020 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks for all the input. Sorry it didn't work for you. Yes I was referring to Crossover 20.0.2

I'm going to bite the bullet and give it a try. If I have to, I can always run Lotro in a bootcamp partition if it totally breaks my game.

The 64 bit client is important to me. When I first started running Lotro in crossover with Catalina, the 32bit client started crashing a lot. It would also leave win32-preloader processes running every time I exited the game and I had to clean them up with Force Quit. If I didn't clean them up there would be a couple building up until I did.

I am definitely running with windows version of the game. I used the windows installer when I setup crossover.

Since it sounds like you never had it running in Catalina, I don't really know if Big Sur is what broke the 64 bit client for you.

I will post again after I upgrade and let you know how it goes.

Would it help if I posted the contents of my ini files so you can cross reference them? I have the 64 bit client running in Catalina on my iMac still and as you know it was the first OS that removed compatibility for 32bit apps.

My favourite way of running the game is windowed using the better snap tool app. It emulates the feature in windows where you drag a window to the top of the screen and it fills the screen. Very useful. Especially since I have 2 monitors and they are different sizes. I just let better snap tool size the windowed Lotro to fill the screen. I run at very high graphics and it works well in Catalina.

I'm going to bite the bullet and give it a try. If I have to, I can always run Lotro in a bootcamp partition if it totally breaks my game.
    If it comes to that, I’d recommend making a Mojave boot volume instead. You can run SSG’s “Mac” client there and not have to deal with Windows. If you’re going to have to reboot to play a game it might as well be to a slightly older MacOS rather than Windows. As long as your Mac isn’t too new to be able to run Mojave, of course.

When I first started running Lotro in crossover with Catalina, the 32bit client started crashing a lot. It would also leave win32-preloader processes running every time I exited the game and I had to clean them up with Force Quit. If I didn't clean them up there would be a couple building up until I did.
    I’ve read in other threads here that other folks have experienced that. Admittedly it’s been less than a week for me with Big Sur, Crossover, and the 32-bit client, but I have had none of those issues... so far.

Would it help if I posted the contents of my ini files so you can cross reference them? I have the 64 bit client running in Catalina on my iMac still and as you know it was the first OS that removed compatibility for 32bit apps.
    Yes! Please post the contents of your Crossover preferences file as well, and the config details of the bottle from which you are running LOTRO. Is it a Windows 10 bottle or Windows 7? For whatever it might be worth to you, I have already posted the contents of my UserPreferences.ini file earlier in this thread and have updated it a few times as I’ve tweaked the settings.
    edit: No need, 64-bit issue is SOLVED. Please see Message 14 in this thread for details.

My favourite way of running the game is windowed using the better snap tool app. It emulates the feature in windows where you drag a window to the top of the screen and it fills the screen. Very useful. Especially since I have 2 monitors and they are different sizes. I just let better snap tool size the windowed Lotro to fill the screen. I run at very high graphics and it works well in Catalina.
    I have BetterSnapTool and its big brother, BetterTouchTool. Great utilities! Full Screen (Windowed) works fine for me, I keep LOTRO in one Desktop Space and use a key combination to switch to other Desktop Spaces to do other things with my Mac without having to make the window smaller than full screen or closing the game entirely.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Nov 24 2020 at 11:44 PM.

64-bit not running on Crossover issue SOLVED

I figured out why the 64-bit client was not running for me with Crossover: The bottle is a Windows 10 bottle. It is NOT a Windows 10 64-bit bottle. So of course no 64-bit Windows applications can be run from that bottle.

I had just let Crossover install the game with its own chosen defaults. Since it was the first time I had messed around with Crossover that seemed best. But that's the reason the 64-bit version of LOTRO won't run for me, Crossover is emulating the 32-bit version of Windows.

I just created a new Windows 10 64-bit bottle and ran the game using Crossover's "Run Command...". This allowed me to run LotroLauncher.exe from my original bottle without having to mess around with copying stuff with the Finder or doing yet another full install of 40gb worth of game files over the goshdangderdadblast internet. (I will do one or the other eventually so that I don't have to keep that Windows 10 (32-bit) bottle around.) I changed my screen resolution to 1280x720, moved my ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online folder to a safe place and then ran the Crossover "Run Command..." pointing it to LotroLauncher.exe and the game did its usual first-run business into Full Screen mode. I got to the character selection screen, changed to Windowed mode using the in-game options panel, then quit the game. I edited the new UserPreferences.ini file to change GameClientType=1 to GameClientType=3 and changed the resolution and screen mode options to my usual preferences (Resolution=2048x1152, WindowedResolution=1680x944, ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed) then used Crossover's "Run Command..." again. Total success: The game launcher started up the 64-bit LOTRO client and I got to the character selection screen without a problem. Finally, I quit out of the game and replaced the newly-created ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings folder with my old one that I had saved earlier and just had to edit the UserPreferences.ini file so that GameClientType=3.

So now I've got to clean up Crossover a little so that I don't have a second unnecessary bottle for LOTRO and don't have to run stuff in Bottle 1 by using a run command from Bottle 2. But that's just my problem, as long as you do your installation of the Windows version of LOTRO into Crossover into a Windows 10 64-bit bottle, you should have no trouble.

Also please note that the 64-bit LOTRO client saves its preferences into UserPreferences64.ini, not UserPreferences.ini. UserPreferences.ini still has the LOTRO launcher app's preferences, that is where you will set GameClientType among other things. But all your video, audio, and most other settings will be in UserPreferences64.ini.

I will make appropriate changes to earlier messages in this thread to make it clear that LOTRO must be installed into a Windows 10 64-bit bottle in order to enable the ability to use the 64-bit client.

Thanks to Zorander for giving me the hints I needed to discover the solution to this issue!

edit: I tried DirectX 10 and it works fine. With a Windows 10 64-bit bottle the WINE preloader quits properly when using DirectX 10 so I plan to use DirectX 10 at least for now to see how some "real" gameplay under DirectX 10 gets handled vs DirectX 9. If it's better or I notice nothing different and if DirectX 10 is not in any way inferior, I'll stick with it, I guess.
    edit: More testing and I am getting extremely bad graphical glitching in Rivendell and The Shire with DirectX 10. Trees and some smaller ground objects turn very bright white and can "flash" between the white and their proper appearance. Very annoying. Got some weird behavior with the waterfall spray in Rivendell, too. I've only seen this problem in those two areas. DirectX 9 has issues of its own but while more common they aren't as annoying.

edit: I reported this to Codeweavers and they have changed the LOTRO application defaults (which are downloaded to your Mac at the moment you try to install it with Crossover) so that the user can choose between a Windows 10 and a Windows 10 64-bit bottle. Apparently they can't force a Windows 10 64-bit bottle ONLY, so you will still need to pay a bit of attention when you first install LOTRO using Crossover to be sure you select Windows 10 64-bit but at least now you will be presented with the choice.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Dec 01 2020 at 01:02 AM.

I'm glad you got it working!!

I'm going to do it later today.

And yes, as I'm sure you know I am running a windows 10 64 bit bottle.

Did you read that crossover will be compatible with apple silicon. I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with this technology.

I just wish Standing Stone games would go back to supporting Mac. Seems like a pretty small thing to ask to make the launcher 64 bit compatible. As I understand it that is the only issue.

OK, I got LOTRO working with Big Sur and Crossover 20.0.2.

I definitely had some issues. It seems the game is far more finicky about screen resolution in Big Sur. It's important to note that I have using both an iMac 27 and MacBook Pro 13. And they seem to have different behaviors.

I used to be able to play in windowed mode and simply use "Better snap tool" to maximize my window size by dragging the window to the top of the screen. That doesn't not work anymore. If I do that, the game will play but next time I start the game it goes into a black screen and I need to kill the crossover process. There are some windowed resolutions that still work but I don't recall which ones.

Since I have dual monitors I am running in FULL SCREEN (Windowed) mode. That way I can move my mouse pointer outside of the game window to use my iMac for browsing and other things without exiting the game.

As far as I can tell, it is essential the the resolution for FULL SCREEN (WINDOWED) to match the resolution of the of the MacOS display settings. Which for me is 2560x1440. If the resolution is set to something else in the game I get the same behavior where the screen goes black when starting the game and I need to kill the crossover processes.

With these settings It runs very well I am happy to say. The performance Is good and it seems very stable.

Thanks to Tralfazz for starting this thread, documenting thoroughly and figuring out many of the issues.

OK, I got LOTRO working with Big Sur and Crossover 20.0.2.

I definitely had some issues. It seems the game is far more finicky about screen resolution in Big Sur.

As far as I can tell, it is essential the the resolution for FULL SCREEN (WINDOWED) to match the resolution of the of the MacOS display settings. If the resolution is set to something else in the game I get the same behavior where the screen goes black when starting the game and I need to kill the crossover processes.
    I think that the key takeaways for successfully getting LOTRO to first run with Big Sur and Crossover are related to resolution settings:
    1- Install Crossover and install LOTRO into Crossover. Be sure you install LOTRO into a Windows 10 64-bit bottle.
    edit 2021-02-12: After creating the empty bottle for LOTRO and before installing LOTRO into it, use Crossover to install "DirectX for Modern Games" into the bottle. Do this by going to the menu bar, look for BOTTLE, and choose INSTALL SOFTWARE INTO... from the pulldown menu. This will install additional/updated components which will allow the game to run better.
    2- Go into System Preferences and set your monitor's resolution to the smallest available. To do so, go to System Preferences->Displays and click the SCALED button while holding the option key. Then choose the smallest resolution shown in the list.
    3- Use Crossover to run LOTRO's launcher app. It will be the icon in Crossover labeled The Lord of the Rings Online.
    4- When asked if you want to download the high resolution graphics, say YES.
    5- When asked if you want to use DirectX 10, say NO (you can enable this later, but NOT NOW).
    6- When the LOTRO launcher app finishes loading, enter your account name and password, choose your server, and hit PLAY. The LOTRO client will start up in Full Screen Mode.
    7- Allow the LOTRO client to get you to the character creation/selection screen. Go into the OPTIONS, go to GRAPHICS, and choose FULL SCREEN WINDOWED. Be sure to ACCEPT the new options. Then QUIT out of the game.
    8- Be sure the game has quit. Be sure the LOTRO launcher app has quit.
    9- Go back to System Preferences->Displays and put your monitor back to its default, or your usual preferred, resolution.
    10- Go to ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini and add the line or edit the line so that GameClientType=3. This will force the use of the 64-bit LOTRO client. It might already be set this way, if so just leave it alone.
    11- Go to ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini and be sure that ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed. Change Resolution=X so that X is equal to your monitor's full (or your preferred) resolution. Change WindowedResolution=Y so that Y is a smaller value than X, I strongly recommend a 16:9 output such as 1280x720.
    12- If your ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online folder contains a UserPreferences64.ini file, edit it according to the same instructions in (11) above for ScreenMode, Resolution, and WindowedResolution.
    13- Be sure you have saved the changes to that file/those files and quit out of TextEdit or whatever you used to perform the edits.
    14- Go back to Crossover and run LOTRO's launcher app (double-click the icon for The Lord of the Rings Online). Go through all the login steps until you get to the character creation/selection screen in the LOTRO client app. At this point you can go into the game's OPTIONS and set things up as you like. It is important, however, for Full Screen Resolution to remain set at the actual output resolution of your monitor. You can set the Screen Mode to Full Screen, Full Screen (Windowed) or Windowed depending on your preference although I will note that if you play in Full Screen you must change to Full Screen (Windowed) or Windowed before switching to another monitor or another Desktop Space or you will not be able to successfully return to the game, it will have to be quit and restarted.
    15- Finally, if you have a The Lord of the Rings Online folder from a previous successful installation of the game, once you get to step (14) above rather than make possibly dozens of changes to settings and keymappings, you can quit out of the game client and the game launcher app, go to your ~/Documents folder, and replace the The Lord of the Rings Online folder with your preexisting folder which will have all your preferences and key mappings and plugins. All you have to do is edit your UserPreferences.ini file (and your UserPreferences64.ini file if you have one) as described in (10), (11), and (12) above; all other settings can be left as they are and this should restore the game to your expectations.

I used to be able to play in windowed mode and simply use "Better snap tool" to maximize my window size by dragging the window to the top of the screen. That doesn't not work anymore.
    That might be worth reporting to the developer, here:
    https://community.folivora.ai/c/bug-reports/6
    Although I suspect it is related to the LOTRO client's finickiness about resolution rather than some actual bug in BetterSnapTool.

Since I have dual monitors I am running in FULL SCREEN (Windowed) mode. That way I can move my mouse pointer outside of the game window to use my iMac for browsing and other things without exiting the game.
    For people with multiple monitors, I would suggest disconnecting the secondary monitor (whatever you're NOT going to play the game on) while performing the installation into Crossover and while getting to successful first run of the game. After that and preferences are all set correctly, the second monitor can be reconnected to your Mac.

For people who do not have a second monitor, and even for those who do, note that you can easily get out of the game and go to another Desktop Space using Mission Control. The default key combination for doing so is control-leftarrow and control-rightarrow (I have mine set to command-leftarrow and command-rightarrow because I have some business apps that expect the control-whatever key combo to do something else) to move sequentially through the existing Desktop Spaces. Just be sure you have at least a second Desktop Space set up in advance. You can learn how to do that here:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204100
    Read the second section titled "Add spaces and switch between them".

If you plan to switch to a second monitor or a second Desktop Space to do other things with your Mac while the game is running, be sure you are in FullScreenWindowed or Windowed mode first. If you try to do this with the game in FullScreen mode, you will be able to get out and back in to the game but the game will either go to black screen or be frozen and unresponsive and in either case you will have to force-quit or use Crossover to quit the LOTRO client app.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Feb 12 2021 at 01:20 AM.

I think that the key takeaways for successfully getting LOTRO to first run with Big Sur and Crossover are related to resolution settings:
    1- Install Crossover and install LOTRO into Crossover. Be sure you install LOTRO into a Windows 10 64-bit bottle.
    2- Go into System Preferences and set your monitor's resolution to the smallest available. To do so, go to System Preferences->Displays and click the SCALED button while holding the option key. Then choose the smallest resolution shown in the list.
    3- Use Crossover to run LOTRO's launcher app. It will be the icon in Crossover labeled The Lord of the Rings Online.
    4- When asked if you want to download the high resolution graphics, say YES.
    5- When asked if you want to use DirectX 10, say NO (you can enable this later, but NOT NOW).
    6- When the LOTRO launcher app finishes loading, enter your account name and password, choose your server, and hit PLAY. The LOTRO client will start up in Full Screen Mode.
    7- Allow the LOTRO client to get you to the character creation/selection screen. Go into the OPTIONS, go to GRAPHICS, and choose FULL SCREEN WINDOWED. Be sure to ACCEPT the new options. Then QUIT out of the game.
    8- Be sure the game has quit. Be sure the LOTRO launcher app has quit.
    9- Go back to System Preferences->Displays and put your monitor back to its default, or your usual preferred, resolution.
    10- Go to ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini and add the line or edit the line so that GameClientType=3. This will force the use of the 64-bit LOTRO client. It might already be set this way, if so just leave it alone.
    11- Go to ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini and be sure that ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed. Change Resolution=X so that X is equal to your monitor's full (or your preferred) resolution. Change WindowedResolution=Y so that Y is a smaller value than X, I strongly recommend a 16:9 output such as 1280x720.
    12- If your ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online folder contains a UserPreferences64.ini file, edit it according to the same instructions in (11) above for ScreenMode, Resolution, and WindowedResolution.
    13- Be sure you have saved the changes to that file/those files and quit out of TextEdit or whatever you used to perform the edits.
    14- Go back to Crossover and run LOTRO's launcher app (double-click the icon for The Lord of the Rings Online). Go through all the login steps until you get to the character creation/selection screen in the LOTRO client app. At this point you can go into the game's OPTIONS and set things up as you like. It is important, however, for Full Screen Resolution to remain set at the actual output resolution of your monitor. You can set the Screen Mode to Full Screen, Full Screen (Windowed) or Windowed depending on your preference although I will note that if you play in Full Screen you must change to Full Screen (Windowed) or Windowed before switching to another monitor or another Desktop Space or you will not be able to successfully return to the game, it will have to be quit and restarted.
    15- Finally, if you have a The Lord of the Rings Online folder from a previous successful installation of the game, once you get to step (14) above rather than make possibly dozens of changes to settings and keymappings, you can quit out of the game client and the game launcher app, go to your ~/Documents folder, and replace the The Lord of the Rings Online folder with your preexisting folder which will have all your preferences and key mappings and plugins. All you have to do is edit your UserPreferences.ini file (and your UserPreferences64.ini file if you have one) as described in (10), (11), and (12) above; all other settings can be left as they are and this should restore the game to your expectations.

That might be worth reporting to the developer, here:
    https://community.folivora.ai/c/bug-reports/6
    Although I suspect it is related to the LOTRO client's finickiness about resolution rather than some actual bug in BetterSnapTool.

For people with multiple monitors, I would suggest disconnecting the secondary monitor (whatever you're NOT going to play the game on) while performing the installation into Crossover and while getting to successful first run of the game. After that and preferences are all set correctly, the second monitor can be reconnected to your Mac.

For people who do not have a second monitor, and even for those who do, note that you can easily get out of the game and go to another Desktop Space using Mission Control. The default key combination for doing so is control-leftarrow and control-rightarrow (I have mine set to command-leftarrow and command-rightarrow because I have some business apps that expect the control-whatever key combo to do something else) to move sequentially through the existing Desktop Spaces. Just be sure you have at least a second Desktop Space set up in advance. You can learn how to do that here:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204100
    Read the second section titled "Add spaces and switch between them".

If you plan to switch to a second monitor or a second Desktop Space to do other things with your Mac while the game is running, be sure you are in FullScreenWindowed or Windowed mode first. If you try to do this with the game in FullScreen mode, you will be able to get out and back in to the game but the game will either go to black screen or be frozen and unresponsive and in either case you will have to force-quit or use Crossover to quit the LOTRO client app.

I tried following all your suggestions but still can't get it to launch once I select my server when it should launch the intro video and then go to character select it does neither it just closes out and nothing happens.

my ini file has not video section and I tried adding it with the suggested settings and get nothing.
    I even tried copying the display settings from DDO which does work and still nothing.

Actually just got it to work by creating a blank windows 10-64 bottle without using the crosstie at all and then copying standing stone games directory from the bottle that used the crosstie to my blank bottle and then used run command to run the launcher and saved the run command as a launcher. This is on my M1 based 13 inch MacBook Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by cybris View Post
    I tried following all your suggestions but still can't get it to launch once I select my server when it should launch the intro video and then go to character select it does neither it just closes out and nothing happens.

my ini file has not video section and I tried adding it with the suggested settings and get nothing.
    I even tried copying the display settings from DDO which does work and still nothing.
    Can you please provide me with some information regarding your Mac (model, year, RAM, processor), which version of MacOS you are using, and which version of Crossover you are using?

Are you sure the bottle you created with Crossover is a Windows 10 64-bit bottle? THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. If it's not, delete your bottle, create a new one that is Windows 10 64-bit, and reinstall LOTRO. Yes, I know that is annoying, it's a lot to download.

If your bottle is Windows 10 64-bit, try this:
    1- Please move your entire The Lord of the Rings Online folder to the Desktop. That's a safe place to keep it while we make some attempts to get the game to work. Your The Lord of the Rings Online folder is here:
    ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online

2- Now go to System Preferences->Displays, click the SCALED button while holding the option key, and choose the smallest resolution in the list.

3- Launch Crossover, use Crossover to launch LOTRO (actually, it is LOTRO's launcher app).

4- Be sure you say NO to Direct X 10 and YES to downloading the high-resolution game files.

5- When the launcher app is done loading and is asking you to enter your account name and password and to choose your server, STOP. Quit the launcher app using the X icon in the upper-right corner of its window.

6- Go to your ~/Documents folder. It should have a new The Lord of the Rings Online folder inside. In there you will find a UserPreferences.ini file. Open it with TextEdit or whatever text editor you prefer.

7- Look for a line in UserPreferences.ini that looks like this:
    GameClientType=3
    If it doesn't exist, add that line. If it does exist but the value is something other than 3, change it to 3.

8- Save the file, quit out of your text editor.

9- Use Crossover to launch LOTRO.

10- This time when the LOTRO launcher app gets to account name, password, and server selection, enter your credentials and choose your server then hit PLAY.

11- The game ought to launch. Please report back whether it does or not. The remainder of these instructions assume that the LOTRO client app launches and you get to the character creation/selection screen.

12- Do not create a character or attempt to enter the game world with one of your existing characters.

13- Go to OPTIONS. In options, go to GRAPHICS. In GRAPHICS, look for SCREEN MODE. Choose WINDOWED (you can switch to Full Screen (Windowed) or even Full Screen later).

14- Still in OPTIONS, look for FULL SCREEN RESOLUTION, choose your Mac's normal maximum resolution. In WINDOWED RESOLUTION, choose something smaller, 1280x720 is usually good for any Mac.

15- Click the ACCEPT button in the lower-right of the options panel. Click QUIT to quit out of the game client. If the LOTRO launcher app is still running close that by clicking on the X in the upper-right of its window.

16- Go to System Preferences->Displays, click the DEFAULT FOR DISPLAY button or choose whatever resolution you usually use. It is important that this matches the value that you entered into FULL SCREEN RESOLUTION within the in-game options panel!

16- Use Crossover to launch the LOTRO launcher app, enter your credentials etc. and get to the character screen. You can enter the game world now to test that things are working.

17- When you're satisfied, quit out of the LOTRO client and launcher.

18- You can now put your old The Lord of the Rings Online folder back into ~/Documents overwriting the new one used for these first-run attempts.

19- Edit your UserPreferences.ini file to be sure that GameClientType=3. Save the file.

20- Edit your UserPreferences64.ini file to be sure that ScreenMode=Windowed, Resolution=X where X is the resolution you chose for your monitor in (16) above, and WindowedResolution=Y where Y is 1280x720 or whatever value you prefer for window size as long as it's smaller than X. Save the file.

21- You should now be able to get into the game successfully and all your old settings, keybinds, layouts, and plugins will be there waiting for you. You can change the Screen Mode to Full Screen, Full Screen (Windowed), or leave it in Windowed using the in-game options panel. I play in Full Screen (Windowed).

Please report back with your results!
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Mar 17 2021 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cybris View Post
    Actually just got it to work by creating a blank windows 10-64 bottle without using the crosstie at all and then copying standing stone games directory from the bottle that used the crosstie to my blank bottle and then used run command to run the launcher and saved the run command as a launcher. This is on my M1 based 13 inch MacBook Pro.
    OK, so it was an issue with the bottle. And the solution you used is similar to what I did (as I described in Message #14) once I realized why I couldn't get the 64-bit client to run a few days ago. I'm glad you got it working and I hope my previous response was helpful.

OK, so it was an issue with the bottle. And the solution you used is similar to what I did (as I described in Message #14) once I realized why I couldn't get the 64-bit client to run a few days ago. I'm glad you got it working and I hope my previous response was helpful.
    Yep , it was one of the items the crosstie installed not sure which as I didn't need any of them just installing into a blank Windows 10-64 bottle worked just fine didn't need any extra stuff.

I'm glad you got it working!!

I'm going to do it later today.

And yes, as I'm sure you know I am running a windows 10 64 bit bottle.

Did you read that crossover will be compatible with apple silicon. I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with this technology.

I just wish Standing Stone games would go back to supporting Mac. Seems like a pretty small thing to ask to make the launcher 64 bit compatible. As I understand it that is the only issue.
    Apple Silicon is remarkable. My Mac mini M1 had no problem with LOTRO following the instructions on message #17.

I've gotten the launcher to open, but everytime I attempt to login, I get an authentication error. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by shilofax293 View Post
    I've gotten the launcher to open, but everytime I attempt to login, I get an authentication error. Any ideas?
    More details would be helpful, a screenshot would be good.

You are able to enter your credentials but instead of logging in and getting a list of available game worlds you get some error message? If that is correct then my first guess based on “I get an authentication error” is that you are making an error when typing your account name or your password or both. Try again, be sure you are entering both your account name and password correctly. They should be the same as the account name and password you use to log in to the forums here.

If that isn’t the cause of the problem, let’s hear some more details and perhaps see that screenshot. I’ll do my best to help!
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Dec 15 2020 at 10:17 PM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast