We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Mini-Expansion pack with need for older content? - Ithilharn shard

So we bought a mini-expac with real money, and an important gameplay resource in this mini-expac seems to be those Elderslade supply packs. Great, I thought, crafting is made relevant again. Until I saw the Ithilharn shard requirement....

These supply packs can be bartered for three important gear elements in this mini-expac:
    - 20 landscape rep coins, of which you need much if you want to barter for all of the teal gear and other useful stuff (sidenote: please add some of this stuff to the useless cosmetic missions rep barter!)
    - Gold pocket item!
    - New, and much better, Crafted Relic!

And not one, but a lot of the supply packs for each! So far you could say: ok, just another grind. But here comes my question: where can people who bought this expac, but did not buy and finish the complete Minas Morgul expac, get an Ithilharn Shard???????

Is this a complete oversight? Say what you want from solvents, but at least they can be bought from the store. These shards are only in Minas Morgul crafting nodes (very small chance) and Minas Morgul dailies. And they're needed for Elderslade Essences as well!

Now I do earn Minas Morgul, so I could go through the chores again of finishing 2 weeklies every week. That's 2 shards, for the 40 or so you need if you want to get everything. And of course some people sit on piles of those from playing MM weeklies for a year now. I sincerely grant them the fact that they can earn some gold now (prices are higher than 100 gold for these things) for all of their hard work, but from a gameplay perspective it's just not right that we're forced to the Auction hall, or accept a mindless grind of old content (Scroll from Minas Tirith Dailies??? At least that grind was a lot faster) again.

So devs, please answer my question: where can we earn those shards within the content of the new mini-expansion??? Thanks in advance!

I guess the only way to get them in Elderslade is farming resource nodes and corpses/chests. I hope they will introduce weeklies that grant embers and shards in the future...

On a side note: where do you get these new crafted relics?
    Dobb - Hobbit Burglar
    Thar - Dwarf Guardian
    [DE-RP]Belegaer
    R.I.P [DE]Anduin
    Visit my YouTube-Channel!

I'm not a fan of the expansion but aren't you making a fuss over nothing?
    New area is for level 130s, you have been able to get shards since lvl 120, there has been naff all to use shards on for ages, so even a simple solo player such as myself have hundreds of the damned things. If somehow you've managed to get to the new area with no shards, just go and farm them old school fashion or do the MM weeklies that give shards, so that's 3 shards and 1500 embers (handy for new essences or adventurer gear) and 3 VXP levels, i.e. good use of your time.
    So there are ways of getting them.

My concern is do I have enough other mats, given how pointless crafting has been I stopped collecting mats once I mastered the crafting and 15 supply packs for a gold pocket item is a lot of whatever.
    Wal's Army on Evernight - Walred (Champ), Walmur (RK), Walbert-2 (Cappy), Walori (Guard), Walrandir (LM), Walora (Warden), Walmo (Burg)

Quote Originally Posted by dwarfThar View Post
    I guess the only way to get them in Elderslade is farming resource nodes and corpses/chests. I hope they will introduce weeklies that grant embers and shards in the future...

On a side note: where do you get these new crafted relics?
    Crafting guild, guild master, barter

P.S. For topic starter, simple answer: If you don't buy MM and don't complete MM content, you don't have enough gear to complete Elderslade. Especially small fellowership quests in War verison

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Crafting guild, guild master, barter

P.S. For topic starter, simple answer: If you don't buy MM and don't complete MM content, you don't have enough gear to complete Elderslade. Especially small fellowership quests in War verison
    I found that using the Langflood epic + regular quest gear + the purples available for Langflood barter with one or two ember teals equipped with quested warmly essences but mostly flickering is quite good enough for Elderslade (both versions pre-war and war). On my third character through with similar gear (altoholic BTW). Yes, lots of the mobs are elites with 500K-800k hp but doable/easy to kill one at a time. MM gear is pretty bad compared to Langflood level 417-418 purples. The new gear from questing in Elderslade is comparable or slightly worse.

SSG let you play MM for months for nothing. There has been loads of repackaged old content for the last few years so what's the surprise. At the whim of a dev an item can become obsolete overnight or as in this case a must have. It's not new. Given the choice to buy a full expansion or this "mini" expansion, you have chosen unwisely in my opinion.