We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1

    Is LOTRO up for sale?

    With all the recent server troubles then connectivity issues and the usual cash grabs. Makes me think SSG is in a struggle to survive. Their partnership and business relationship with Day Break Games has never been fully explained. Day Break Games it self does not have a good reputation. Just do an internet search to read any and all that is said. After reading and viewing comments and other info online and reviews about the current situation in the world (COVID-19). I have worked in and been involved in a few companys that were either sold or bought out then closed down. What I am seeing here in LOTRO makes me shudder and nervous. Some of what is happening to this game reflects back on real world experiences.

    With SSG's lack of or willines to communicate at any level with the player base itself speaks of things that they leave unsaid. Now there are rumours online saying SSG is up forsale or closing down, I do not know who or what to believe. But with all the most recent server issues then connection issues I will not be renew my yearly subscription. After playing 9 years (2011) to now (2020) I have had enough.

    This covid has disrupted many businesses and the root cause of many shutting down. You can only manage for so long on a very limited cash base if no reserves. I just hope it is just that a rumour that SSG is done or being sold. Heres to better days for all

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    2,109
    Many games have problems with lags and connection issues for years, but that doesn't means what they gonna up for sale just because of this problems

  3. #3
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...3VL/story.html


    Read this article here. Then make your conclusions. I have experienced working for and being involved in a company that was in a struggle and then went under.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Many games have problems with lags and connection issues for years, but that doesn't means what they gonna up for sale just because of this problems
    Any example ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Many games have problems with lags and connection issues for years, but that doesn't means what they gonna up for sale just because of this problems
    Doesn't mean that they're not either

    I kinda have the feeling that LOTRO isn't in trouble though.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    13
    Time to do it Elmagor


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,674
    SSG is doing fine as far as we know, they been hiring new staff as content creators for for Lotro (maybe DDO as well) recently, that doesn't sound like a company that's going anywhere anytime soon, so what ever you read about lotro and Amazon MMO is 100% rumors, I honestly hate rumors and prefer official statements and facts... rumors aren't that.
    Pontin Level 130 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.


    Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

  8. #8
    Do your research online about SSG, Daybreak and even Turbine. There are plenty of sources that say lots about SSG,Daybreak connection. Time Warner spun off LOTRO to independent SSG but have not completely cut ties to LOTRO. They still have their fingers in the pies.

    Before I made any comments, statements or posts I looked up about what was going on

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15
    Can we crowdfund purchase the company? xD

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    SSG is doing fine as far as we know,
    Unsubstantiated rumor. Why even bother to combat one rumor with another?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    they been hiring new staff as content creators for for Lotro (maybe DDO as well) recently,
    Only a half truth. The new hirings are on a 12 month basis which likely is a replacement from the culling after the SSG take over. Basically they will be considered contracted temps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    that doesn't sound like a company that's going anywhere anytime soon,
    That doesn't sound like anything. Again, why even bother to combat one rumor with another?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    so what ever you read about lotro and Amazon MMO is 100% rumors,
    Less than a half truth. Amazon is still an ongoing enterprise. Now that their latest game has launched it is well beyond rumor a new game based on Tolkien's work is in development.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    I honestly hate rumors and prefer official statements and facts... rumors aren't that.
    Exactly, so stop taking part in the rumor mongering.


    For those unaware, DrOctothorpe was still listed in the credits as lead designer in the more recent content release Where Dragons Dwell. He left two years ago.
    "That what is explicitly two, can at the same time be implicitly one."

    Alan Watts

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ered Luin
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom58 View Post
    Read this article here. Then make your conclusions. I have experienced working for and being involved in a company that was in a struggle and then went under.
    Ummm, this article is dated January 13 2020. That was 9 months ago.

    During that time Amazon has released AND cancelled a major game. That makes it 0 for 3 for Amazon games.

    It is possible that their version of Tolkien is "out of the park", but their batting average is abysmal.

    Regards
    Aurora 7

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora7 View Post
    Ummm, this article is dated January 13 2020. That was 9 months ago.During that time Amazon has released AND cancelled a major game. That makes it 0 for 3 for Amazon games.It is possible that their version of Tolkien is "out of the park", but their batting average is abysmal.RegardsAurora 7
    Don't forget the fact that the developer for the new lotr MMO, Leyou, was recently bought by Tencent. I wouldn't be surprised if Tencent changes the new game into something more like a battle royale or whichever game type the cool kids are playing, since they'll want to go with whichever type of game is currently the most popular. I also expect it to have P2W elements at this point too.Either way, I think lotro still has at least a few more years left. I suspect this mini-xpac was something they had planned since the start of the year; the producer's letter from early this year called War of Three Peaks a "mega update" (a rather loaded term) which already implied it was going to be larger than the usual type of update that introduces new content.
    Ughh...another one of those mad, hungry hobbits with a sword...

    Mydiel Pineapple 130 LM The Pirate Alliance Landroval

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    2,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Thugalvald View Post
    Any example ?
    If you remember when Lotro have problems during this summer, and 1st september have one of this dates, in same time other MMOs have problems too. And "terrible connection issues" not looks like something what I promise to you. As example, Evernight can have problems with connection, while Ark or Brandy don't have it. How it can force developers to sell something? You can ask people who play other MMOs, if they have any problems or not. I sure everyone start complaining, because people ALWAYS not satisfied with quality of product. Especially with MMOs, because they are very conservative and hard to polish games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom58 View Post
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...3VL/story.html


    Read this article here. Then make your conclusions. I have experienced working for and being involved in a company that was in a struggle and then went under.
    Really. It was 10 months ago. Did we have ANY news about Amazon game since this article was writen? No. It's just zero, empty place, nothing. It was nothing in august 2018 when Amazon annouce about their new game, and it still nothing 2 years later. Yeah, I sure what they can release that thing. Somewhere in 2024 or 2026. But how it can force SSG sell Lotro right now?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by cbfan14 View Post
    Don't forget the fact that the developer for the new lotr MMO, Leyou, was recently bought by Tencent.
    All fine apart from the fact that Leyou isn't the sole developer. It's a joint effort with Amazon.

    From Amazon Games website. "Amazon Games and Leyou will jointly develop the game for PC and consoles, and Amazon Games will market and publish the title globally with the exception of China, which will be managed by Leyou."

    https://www.amazongames.com/en-gb/ne...elop-game-lotr

    Doesn't guarantee it will ever see the light of day tho'.

  15. #15
    To answer the OP subject, everything is for sale at some price. If you want to throw enough money at it, you could buy it, hire some world-class coders to fix the bugs and do whatever other enhancements you want, upgrade the servers to fix the lag, improve communication and customer support, etc.

    Because of trends in technology and player demographics, you'd never get your money back, but we would enjoy your largesse.

    Without that kind of charity, they are in a struggle to survive like any businesses. They don't release numbers, but obvious estimates and simple arithmetic says there's not a lot of cash to be grabbed. Your Stanford MBA case study would have said LOTRO would be gone by now, except for the irrational loyalty of the players as well as the employees who create and maintain it. At some point, it will no longer be viable.

    Enjoy it while you can until you don't.
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Truroar / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval michaleo.wordpress.com

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    If you remember when Lotro have problems during this summer, and 1st september have one of this dates, in same time other MMOs have problems too. And "terrible connection issues" not looks like something what I promise to you. As example, Evernight can have problems with connection, while Ark or Brandy don't have it. How it can force developers to sell something? You can ask people who play other MMOs, if they have any problems or not. I sure everyone start complaining, because people ALWAYS not satisfied with quality of product. Especially with MMOs, because they are very conservative and hard to polish games.
    My friends play WoW - dont have much problems. I play GW2 - have almost no issues with lags there except in Path of Fire expansion. My kinnies play SWOTR dont have this amount of issues... I meant to not comment to this thread but since you dont play any other MMO (i came to conclusion because of your response) I felt the need to tell you what I saw in other MMOs. Also some people
    play FF14 and also dont have this amount of issues.

    Okay maybe we cant have perfect server without lags but we could at least have game where we can login and where we could have our expensive features (crafting stations, vault, etc.) available in our houses. I would not mind even if we got that housing bug every once in a while (atm its almost always when you go to your house).

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mid-Wales
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom58 View Post
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...3VL/story.html


    Read this article here. Then make your conclusions. I have experienced working for and being involved in a company that was in a struggle and then went under.
    I have a feeling you may be right. Especially as they're releasing a mini expansion to raise revenue.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom58 View Post
    Do your research online about SSG, Daybreak and even Turbine. There are plenty of sources that say lots about SSG,Daybreak connection. Time Warner spun off LOTRO to independent SSG but have not completely cut ties to LOTRO. They still have their fingers in the pies.

    Before I made any comments, statements or posts I looked up about what was going on
    Clarification: Warner has no connection to LOTRO and DDO, verified on the LOTRO forums back in December 2016:

    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...72#post7676872

  19. #19
    That is not clarification or verification.

    You'd be surprised who all gets a slice of the LotRO pie.
    "That what is explicitly two, can at the same time be implicitly one."

    Alan Watts

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,023
    All of you Doom and Gloomers really give me a good laugh. Every freaking year there is some variation on "omg lotro is doomed" be it this (insert stupid mmo game here) is going to put lotro out of business or License this and that won't be renewed, etc.......

    Keep it up, I just come here to laugh at all the dumb debates on whatever!
    Formerly from Elendilmir

    A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.
    Gen. Patton

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    KY - Founder - since MEO May '03
    Posts
    2,576
    Where are the facts? Show us where it came from! Documented proof!


    It's a shame for I had hopes but when I saw Leyou, It ruined it for me.
    Last edited by Palenen; Oct 19 2020 at 07:03 PM.
    'Ú-damdir.' Welcome to the Fourth Age of this World - The game breaking days.
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West." <- This was even messed up too.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by sapienze View Post
    For those unaware, DrOctothorpe was still listed in the credits as lead designer in the more recent content release Where Dragons Dwell. He left two years ago.
    Unfortunately, you're the one "unaware" here.

    Where Dragon Dwell is not a "recent content release".
    It was released in October 2018.
    DrOctothorpe was LotRO Lead Designer back at the time (he left in december 2018)...
    D&Co du Milieu (English - French): Housing Magazine & database.
    LesBalladesDeYao: A big unexplored world.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by sapienze View Post
    Less than a half truth. Amazon is still an ongoing enterprise. Now that their latest game has launched it is well beyond rumor a new game based on Tolkien's work is in development.
    We know a new Tolkien based work is in development that's not a rumor and not what i was saying, I talking about the rumors others saying that Amazons new Lotr MMO will kill this one, no one knows that till its done and released for awhile.

    Quote Originally Posted by sapienze View Post
    Exactly, so stop taking part in the rumor mongering.
    Nothing i have said in my post was rumors, i only posted facts, look it up SSG hiring according to daybreak on their site, if you think SSG is doing poorly then game would have died long ago... yet we still here and they tell us they working on stuff, I've heard the same story for years that game is failing and soon will die, getting tired of that...
    Pontin Level 130 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.


    Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload