We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

An Evernighter's Guide to logging into game

All the signs are that our loading issues are from our regular high population compared to all other servers.

I have a bunch of characters, around half at cap and half just crafting and storage alts.

Invariably it was my craft alts that would be hit by the "endless" loading screen while my mains would largely escape the problem.

Certainly the non-anons are a great indicator and we have a much better chance of a good load if numbers are less then 500. Once they get into the 700s we can expect serious problems. Rising further and incidences only increase.

Housing load failures are part of the issue too. Once you arrive at your house and have "loaded" your client's memory will retain what's presented to you, even in between character switches. So if the yard is empty your client will assume this is valid and just switching character will not refresh with a fetch from the server. It's only when you close the game down and allow your client's memory to clear and/or for the server to unload that block that your next attempt will enable another data fetch. This is hardly convenient so my usual attempt at a work around is to log a hunter and use several Guide to skills to high load areas around Middle-earth so that all data about the empty housing instance has been over written and will force a refresh if I visit there again. Ofc it won't mean I'll get a successful load but at least I'm actually getting a second role of the dice. Now it may be my portalling around is just giving the server time to just unload that housing block, but it beats twiddling my thumbs.

You may ask why this is different to any other area of the game? It's because everywhere else is contained in the DAT files on your computer, player effected landscape is only held on the server so requires more client server interaction.

As mentioned, it's more prevalent with certain types of my characters. Invariably my craft alts were not logged out in a craft hall but at my house for the daily ingredients packs. My mains were invariably "parked" in a low impact area that always had a few other players already there. Meaning alts were loading into an area that the server would not likely have instantiated already and additionally require extra client server interaction for the yard items. Mains were in an area that didn't need the server to "wake up" due to player traffic but also not an intense amount of area data to load.

I moved my alts out to their milestone locations so I could load into game before checking the Ingredients crate. The intent was to decrease the loading impact when they port home. A few of those are parked up in Bree, player traffic is common so unlikely that the land block isn't already "Live". The caveat is that because layering is very prevalent in Bree town being one to many for a layer adds to the load process. A particular stubbornly "naked" Beorning just last night finally loaded on a fourth or fifth attempt and was then ported to another layer and has me thinking about another location for them to lessen the impact further.

Now once you get into game and find your garden is full of objects and you are intent on cycling alts in for ingredients crates and subscriber jugs then you very much want to keep the yard populated. For me it's loading in a lowbie on a second account parked at the house. They have a better load chance because the area has been instantiated already, and gives your main account character a full yard even if they might still suffer from "endless" loading screens and delay in getting there, preventing server unloading the block. That both account characters seen the same empty yard or the same full yard and never a different scene points to it being server side. It'd be nice to know the land block unload time frame. I have a mostly quiet housing instance, used to be full of long gone old kin members. If you have a busier homestead you might have a problem of another player in the land block "saving" your empty yard, so you may need to negotiate to leave it for a period.

A second account with a leveled/cap character is also helpful when you have loading issues when you have logged out a main in an out of the way high load impact area, the likes of MT or Skarhold. If no one is already about in the block so it's not "live" it's always been a help to switch to another char logged out elsewhere and ride/portal in to ready the land block for loading the effected character. Ofc when there are serious land block issues you can have both chars stuck until resolved.

Good Luck

Nice post, sad to see what kind of tricks you have to do in order to escape never fixed bugs

It is weird situation with that bug. That bug appeared around April. Then and after we were having like 1500 no anon people online in peak time. Now after summer, we are having around 750-850 on Evernight like we were having last year in the same time. While in september 2019. loading was working fine on same population now its totaly messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Uroc View Post
    It is weird situation with that bug. That bug appeared around April. Then and after we were having like 1500 no anon people online in peak time. Now after summer, we are having around 750-850 on Evernight like we were having last year in the same time. While in september 2019. loading was working fine on same population now its totaly messed up.
    During the interim period we did have an unexplained datacentre restructuring. Followed by some further datacentre work as servers cascaded into oblivion. Far better to play down the problems so the base isn't panicked, that can't possibly bite back... Oh wait!

Log out in a low impact location that has a high footfall so that that location is likely to be active already when you load. Try sneaking up on your house rather than porting directly to it to get the yard displaying. Once you have a populated yard, have someone save your yard for cycling alts. Kinnies can "visit" you now

Or forget playing the game between 7am to 2am local on Evernight.

Visited Evernight yesterday and needed 23 tries for my extra account to log in.

Happily I'd been able to log the first character and got some advice in chat. Would have given up second try thinking server was down or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Braer View Post
    As mentioned, it's more prevalent with certain types of my characters. Invariably my craft alts were not logged out in a craft hall but at my house for the daily ingredients packs. My mains were invariably "parked" in a low impact area that always had a few other players already there. Meaning alts were loading into an area that the server would not likely have instantiated already and additionally require extra client server interaction for the yard items. Mains were in an area that didn't need the server to "wake up" due to player traffic but also not an intense amount of area data to load....
    Thank you! That makes a lot of sense; it certainly fits with my issues of late.

Older issues were generally with the mains, I'd assumed because they have to load a lot more info, deeds etc, but of late my storage alts (almost all in the housing instance) have been the worst.
    I shall be checking it out in more detail, and paying more attention to where I log out.
    A vote for Sapience is a vote for progress! Vote today!

Quote Originally Posted by Uroc View Post
    This problem has been around at least as long as I play this game, which is 9 years. It used to happen very now and again, just like empty vaults or houses, but you just relogged and everything was fine again. No worries.
    It is just that the frequency has increased dramatically since the spring. My logins have around 30% success rate, and chains of 4-5 are not unusual for me, which is pretty frustrating, and close to the point I quit.

I don't see Brear's pattern either in type, inventory, number of done deeds or location of toons, it seems completely random for me. Even the extreme (150+ms, normal 95-ish) ping times the game reported for a few weeks didn't seem to make much of a difference.

The only thing that does make a difference is server population. Below 500 visibles the issue is bad, but not throw-pc-out bad.

I only referred to type of character because of where they were logged out in the game.

My mains logged out in what I refer to as the "Mind Palace" - Good, alts in the empty housing neighbourhood - Bad.

But wherever you choose, if there's no one there and the pop is high there can be too much to do for the load process.

When you have a string of failures to load and finally get in it may just be another player's recent arrival into that land block. Ctrl F9 to cycle through other characters, see how many are about, not very many I suspect.