We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurelinarien View Post
    I'm not 100% sure but I think I recall Cordovan saying on one of his livestreams that that server isnt happening this year.
    Thanks very much for this.

This correlates with the delay to (at least) the New Year for the reopening of transfers from Bombadil & elsewhere.

So SSG is busy working on top secret "stuff", but not the Bombadil server.

Interesting times .....

Regards
    Aurora7

I'm pleased to see that many feel the same way as I do about this 'mini-expansion', but I am deeply concerned about the lack of response from SSG.

I get the feeling that they are hoping that opinion on the forums won't be representative of opinion in the game as a whole. This may be a gamble that will pay off - but if it doesn't, then SSG will have missed a chance to fix what may see them lose a significant amount of money (from VIPs dropping their subscription).

I know SSG doesn't have a history of honest and open communication with its players (there are certain devs that are willing to discuss issues openly with players, but things through the official channels - aka Cordovan or Severlin - are often a lot more fuzzy, often for understandable reasons) - but I feel this goes beyond 'poor communication' into the area of 'being duplicitous', when the product that players have paid a VIP subscription for (access to new content) is being significantly altered.

Is VIP now only about the QoL benefits? Then just tell us!

Will there be another couple of free to VIP quest packs next year, after Gundabad? Then tell us!

Is there more content in War of the Three Peaks than has been seen so far on Bullroarer (like the blazons might suggest?)? There seems very little reason not to tell us!

Open, honest communication would make this whole situation much better.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    I'm pleased to see that many feel the same way as I do about this 'mini-expansion', but I am deeply concerned about the lack of response from SSG.

I get the feeling that they are hoping that opinion on the forums won't be representative of opinion in the game as a whole. This may be a gamble that will pay off - but if it doesn't, then SSG will have missed a chance to fix what may see them lose a significant amount of money (from VIPs dropping their subscription).

I know SSG doesn't have a history of honest and open communication with its players (there are certain devs that are willing to discuss issues openly with players, but things through the official channels - aka Cordovan or Severlin - are often a lot more fuzzy, often for understandable reasons) - but I feel this goes beyond 'poor communication' into the area of 'being duplicitous', when the product that players have paid a VIP subscription for (access to new content) is being significantly altered.

Will there be another couple of free to VIP quest packs next year, after Gundabad? Then tell us!

Is there more content in War of the Three Peaks than has been seen so far on Bullroarer (like the blazons might suggest?)? There seems very little reason not to tell us!

Wholeheartedly agreed!

*I can answer your last question. The answer is yes. The blazons lead to the same place the Stablemaster currently does. On BR, you could use the stablemaster to by-pass the Blazons. They lead to an alternate version of the Elderslade that is, you guessed it, even smaller! It cuts-off the part near Ered Mithrim and the northern passes to the dragon and orc areas and is mainly centered around those two Dwarven towers and the Angmar tower leading up to the entrance of Gundabad, which is also cut-off as a raid. There are some altered interiors and some new ones. Granted, it looks very impressive and immersive in the "war zone."

So there are two Elderslades- one that includes immediate access to the Gundabad area, the island / the lake, the northern passes, and the Rushgate area, and one that doesn't (under the title of "War of the Three Peaks") but that has some awesome visuals. Altogether, I'd say its the size of Southern Mirkwood when you add it all up, maybe a little larger; could also compare it to... two thirds the size of Ered Mithrim excluding the passes to Erebor and Withered Heath, if you mentally combine both versions of the zone.
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

Absolutely outstandingly explained, YET AGAIN! Thank you.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Message moondog548 here, on Steam, Twitch, and Discord as moondog548#6830
    Moondog on Landroval, Isilroa on Anor, Reckless on Bombadil

I don't know if it's an attitude dictated from above, but it's very, very, very obvious Cordovan doesn't believe that more communication is better than less. At least that is the impression I have been very strongly given these past few months in the wake of those lengthy outages. He seems to believe that the more interaction he engages in, the greater risk there is of inciting us to greater outcry. It's pretty counter intuitive since they don't seem to care about customer outcry anyway, so why care if we get even more angry? If their caring about their customers opinions is zero, then what difference does it make if we're simmering at a 5, our totally pissed off at a 10? 5x0=0 and 10x0=0 too.

Anyway, I believe they fundamentally disagree with you that communication would make this all much better.

It's clear what we get mini-expansion, and after that we get true expansion (Gundabad), and we don't have any place or time for any other questpack. If we have any questpacks in the future or not, we find out only after Gundabad, so it's like we find out info about that only from Producer's Letter somewhere in summer 2021.

To be optimistic: Maybe threads like this one where we express our views about the changing of the pricing, the quality of the game, the communication etc aren't winning much any time soon: But I'd like to think based on ths sales of this "mini-expansion" and the player response, maybe just maybe Gundabad will be priced (and up to the quality) of the base/premium/deluxe expansion packs of old.

If Gundabad is a fully fleshed out true expansion pack with new textures and loads of exciting content for 40/60/80 dollars I could forgive them for what has happened here. It'd be nice to go back to the old quality standards.

We got basically nothing for a reply or an explanation but I'm still glad some of you are willing to admit how you really feel about these new...deals. We all want the best for the game. I hope SSG will eventually acknowledge some of these points and problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTGCkJ8bWRc (from 10.36)

http://www.containsmoderateperil.com...e-28-preview-1

Having taken a quick look on Bullroarer, as well as reading the forums and watching the videos/reading the articles above, it seems to be becoming painfully obvious that the War of the Three Peaks cannot, justifiably, be argued to be an expansion of any kind (even a mini-one).

All of the reviews about give their reasons for this, but they boil down to the following:

1. The landscape is smaller than any recent update (and much of the map that we can see is unplayable).
    2. The raid is short (not a particular problem in my mind, but the first reviewer in particular compared it to Moria's Filikul).
    3. Missions are woefully disappointing. They are just daily quests which can be done by different levels - nothing more, nothing less.
    4. Previous free to VIP content updates have been considerably bigger (Dwarf Holds, Legacy of the Necromancer, Vales of Anduin, etc.)

Now, there are some things which I'm potentially looking forward to in this update:

1. The continuation of the dwarf storyline (I've seen so many Moria dwarves around, which is great!)
    2. A story mode of the raid (allowing more people to experience it)
    3. Cool landscape
    4. A possible additional landscape (given the blazons found in various camps across the zone, reminiscent of the one that took players to Mordor Besieged), although this hasn't even been whispered about by SSG yet

Yet none of these things are sufficient to make up for the fact that SSG are charging $20 for this update, which has less in it than pretty much every recent free content update (other than perhaps Wells of Langflood).

This is essentially a cash grab. If SSG are running out of cash, then be honest with your players - we love the game and will support you. But don't try and palm us off by describing something like this as a mini-expansion and changing what it means to be VIP without even commenting or acknowledging it. Handling engagement with customers better has always been an SSG problem, and it has never been better exemplified than the last few months.

VIPs are already paying for content (that's what the subscription has always meant to me) - but if this advantage is taken away, I imagine just as much will be lost in terms of VIP subscriptions as will be gained from people paying from the mini-expansion.

What's the way out of this conundrum? Either apologise and state honestly that content needs to be charged for to keep the game alive (for that reason, I'd happily pay for the VIP subscription and a mini-expansion), or if this isn't necessary, allow people to buy the update with LP on the first day of release.

Make this choice now, because otherwise, you may lose far more than you gain from this move.
    I agree. As someone who isnt playing Raids, I really wonder whats up with SSG. To charge Money additionaly to the VIP for this miniupdate with no content i am interested in with the typical SSG communication is a new highlight to the catastrophic SSG performance.

Quote Originally Posted by loganwolfpack View Post
    I agree. As someone who isnt playing Raids, I really wonder whats up with SSG. To charge Money additionaly to the VIP for this miniupdate with no content i am interested in with the typical SSG communication is a new highlight to the catastrophic SSG performance.
    Really. How dare they demand money from VIP players. SSG must working as slave and provide only free content for them. Why they bother with raids, if you using Lotro as solo RPG

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Really. How dare they demand money from VIP players. SSG must working as slave and provide only free content for them. Why they bother with raids, if you using Lotro as solo RPG
    Should someone tell Elmagor that VIP costs money?

Quote Originally Posted by Morellian View Post
    I'm not sure it would make any difference.

The basic premise of "we're a company that made a product, and people who want it should have to pay to get it" makes sense. If you stop your brain from doing any thinking beyond that point, Elmagor's argument works perfectly. If you take it one step further to say: "They're calling this a 'mini-expansion pack' solely so that they can justify charging VIP members for it, when those players get all content EXCEPT expansion packs as part of their paid membership", then the wheels just fall off.

I'm not sure if SSG did not make as much money during the pandemic play-everything-for-free period as they'd hoped, or if they're getting pressured to generate some extra cash RIGHT NOW to keep things afloat. I'm a VIP, and I spend on LP and expansion packs from time to time. I'm happy to support the game...I'd even consider buying the Ultimate edition on this one if:

a.) They were honest about their reasoning for the "mini-expac" moniker and the prices: "This is essentially an SSG fundraiser. If you like the game, support us." Hoping for open and honest communication from SSG is a fool's errand, though I feel the limits on communication is mostly dictated to them, not by them.
    b.) They put more items of value in the $59 and $99 packs. In-game items literally cost them nothing to throw in: a Valar boost or two, housing items, XP boosts, LI settings, SoE's and Crystals...anything to add perceived value to the purchase. Unless it changes, for the extra $40 between the two packs, you get one more mount, two cosmetic pets, and a VP boost worth virtually nothing. I just can't see the value there.
    "Not all those who wander are lost." -Tolkien
    "No matter where you go, there you are." -Confucius

Your comment would make some sense if VIP is a free thing.

It isn't.

Also, lots of players raid. Even more players . . . . don't. Both are acceptable methods of playing the game.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Probably not. Obvious facts seem to be confusing for some people.

It's obivous what Lotro have huge amount of Lifetime players, and game costs 0 money for them (outside of expansion sets) for years. Of course they consider mini-expansions pack as something against them

It's obivous what Lotro have huge amount of Lifetime players, and game costs 0 money for them (outside of expansion sets) for years. Of course they consider mini-expansions pack as something against them
    Players who paid $200 or $300 for a lifetime subscription when they were available should not be subject to SSG changing the terms of their membership by calling content that would normally be free to them "______-expansion" just to justify charging them for it. Nor should VIP's that still pay on a regular basis for them same.

If the company is desperate for a cash infusion, and this content release was the best opportunity to make it happen quickly, then there should be a lot more value provided in the $59 and $99 editions than there is currently.
    "Not all those who wander are lost." -Tolkien
    "No matter where you go, there you are." -Confucius

It's obivous what Lotro have huge amount of Lifetime players

It's not obvious.

Only SSG knows how many.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride_the_Train View Post
    Players who paid $200 or $300 for a lifetime subscription when they were available should not be subject to SSG changing the terms of their membership by calling content that would normally be free to them "______-expansion" just to justify charging them for it. Nor should VIP's that still pay on a regular basis for them same.

If the company is desperate for a cash infusion, and this content release was the best opportunity to make it happen quickly, then there should be a lot more value provided in the $59 and $99 editions than there is currently.
    Players who paid $200 or $300 for a lifetime subscription have huge advantage against players who join Lotro later and don't get that offer, even when they can afford it. And of course 200 or 300$ less when amount of money spend for VIP for 13 years.

Players who paid $200 or $300 for a lifetime subscription have huge advantage against players who join Lotro later and don't get that offer, even when they can afford it. And of course 200 or 300$ less when amount of money spend for VIP for 13 years.

I am a lifetimer, and the sum paid at release back in 2007 was 99$.

Still, this does NOT justify their behaviour to current VIP players paying 14.99$/month. We all know there is not a lot of content in Three Peaks, and this looks more than a patch than something worth charging 20$ for.

I mean, SoM was 30$ at release and compare the content of that to this and you will start seeing the flaws.

This IS a fundraiser in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hassin View Post
    I am a lifetimer, and the sum paid at release back in 2007 was 99$.

Still, this does NOT justify their behaviour to current VIP players paying 14.99$/month. We all know there is not a lot of content in Three Peaks, and this looks more than a patch than something worth charging 20$ for.

I mean, SoM was 30$ at release and compare the content of that to this and you will start seeing the flaws.

This IS a fundraiser in disguise.
    We don't know about content what can be added in u28.1, u28.2, u28.3... and can't judge about content right now, after few hours since release. And 20$ minimal price for content for 13 years.

We don't know about content what can be added in u28.1, u28.2, u28.3... and can't judge about content right now, after few hours since release. And 20$ minimal price for content for 13 years.
    Can you give a single example of a point in LOTRO history where a dot update added something to an existing quest pack/expansion that hadn't been announced when that quest pack/expansion was originally released?
    ~ If all classes were equal people would actually have to start playing competently to get into groups ~

I am comparing SoM at release and War of the Three Peaks at release.

I think you are smart enough to realize that if you add u28.1 etc into the variable you will have to do the same for SoM.

And just as an FYI - VIP does NOT equal lifetimer sub. They are totally different. Lifetimers paid 99$, yes. But VIPs pay 14.99$ every single month to get access to quest packs. This IS the size of a quest pack, but VIPs still have to pay for it. I am sure you can see the reason of their frustration now.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6