We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LI revamp speculation

I saw an interesting detail in another thread where OP describes some working ideas for LI revamp that were shared in Cordovan's livestream (?)
    The thread dates from early May, so I assume the livestream happened shortly before that.

(Link to orig. thread: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...=1#post8035843 )

Can anyone confirm or deny? I don't keep up with streams and can't locate the origin of that tidbit.

But here's what was said:
    Quote Originally Posted by squirle View Post
    On stream the current design change is an “essence-like” system. Which i translate as flexible socketing system like the virtues instead of the rigid LI’s we’ve now. You’d use 1 weapon in which you add or replace legacies as you’d do with essences now.

This could be tied to your class tree on switching or a weapon
    I for one will welcome this, if true. Except the part about restricting legacies to class trees. Smells like 2013 Helm's Deep BS, simply don't.
    Éalá Éarendel engla beorhtast,
    ofer middangeard monnum sended,
    ond sóð
    fæsta sunnan léoma,
    torht ofer tung
    las, þú tída gehwane,
    of sylfum þé symle inlíhtes!

-
    "Leaving the game plan is a sign of panic, and panic is not in our game plan." - Chuck Noll

I do remember mention of an essence like system. But I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions as to what that means other than it will be a different, possibly more frustrating, kind of grind.

Just remember that people were tired of disposable LIs and their solution was an incredible increase in grind (and didn’t even remove the disposable LIs from lvl 50-100.

Indeed, I recall Cord calling it an "essence-like" system.. he also mentioned the DDO Sentient weapons at some point (idk if you're familiar with those).

But we lack all details so far, there's nothing official written, and it's not good to put him in the spotlight for trying to answer some questions on livestream.

"Be careful what you wish for" is my constant thought here...
    Laergwend (Mini) - Gladden dweller!
    Laergwend (Mini) - officer of Legacy - Ithil
    RIP Ithil
    Nov, 8 2018 - May, 21 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Laurelinarien View Post
    it's not good to put him in the spotlight for trying to answer some questions on livestream.
    You do realize he is running livestreams to engage and take questions from the community (see: Community Manager), right? Doesn't sound like it
    Éalá Éarendel engla beorhtast,
    ofer middangeard monnum sended,
    ond sóð
    fæsta sunnan léoma,
    torht ofer tung
    las, þú tída gehwane,
    of sylfum þé symle inlíhtes!

-
    "Leaving the game plan is a sign of panic, and panic is not in our game plan." - Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by Herwegur View Post
    I saw an interesting detail in another thread where OP describes some working ideas for LI revamp that were shared in Cordovan's livestream (?)
    The thread dates from early May, so I assume the livestream happened shortly before that.

(Link to orig. thread: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...=1#post8035843 )

Can anyone confirm or deny? I don't keep up with streams and can't locate the origin of that tidbit.

But here's what was said:

I for one will welcome this, if true. Except the part about restricting legacies to class trees. Smells like 2013 Helm's Deep BS, simply don't.

Eh, I really don't like the essence system, they promised they would scale it back a while ago and while essences play less of a role than they did before in gearing up they still play way too much of a role. It's a costly and rigid system that forces you to buy a ridiculous number of solvents to gear up and fork up reclamation scrolls every time you want to make changes. I don't want the LI system to look like this. Then again, the current LI system is extremely rigid, costly, and time consuming as well.
    Erendil 50 Hunter Rank 7, Mavellen 45 Warden; Officers of Disciples
    Ragaroth Warleader Rank 7, Marhawk Stalker Rank 5; Members of Cuddle Squad
    Other Characters: Arthilius - Captain, Arthilias - Guardian,
    Claireth - Runekeeper, Harbuckle - Burglar, Lothlirien - Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Herwegur View Post
    You do realize he is running livestreams to engage and take questions from the community (see: Community Manager), right? Doesn't sound like it
    Do I strike you as a stupid person?

I'm saying it coz I always listen to him (unlike you) and it's happened many many times that something he says gets taken as carved in stone or translated into something he didn't intend to say. So yea, I confirmed he said what you were wondering about. I'm just pointing out that as a CM he's not a Dev... what may come to happen for this game's reality he may not know when he's replying to questions while trying to quest around...
    Laergwend (Mini) - Gladden dweller!
    Laergwend (Mini) - officer of Legacy - Ithil
    RIP Ithil
    Nov, 8 2018 - May, 21 2020

Hahahahahahaha...
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Do I strike you as a stupid person?

I'm saying it coz I always listen to him (unlike you) and it's happened many many times that something he says gets taken as carved in stone or translated into something he didn't intend to say. So yea, I confirmed he said what you were wondering about. I'm just pointing out that as a CM he's not a Dev... what may come to happen for this game's reality he may not know when he's replying to questions while trying to quest around...
    You don't strike anyone as stupid and everyone reads your posts. Stop with the self-deprecating comments.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

I wouldn't get too excited, I'm sure in a more recent stream Cord said he might have got a bit carried away about the LI revamp, it's a loooooong way off (I could be wrong, I find the streams more enjoyable if you spend the time shouting "Left!" whilst Cord wanders round looking for stairs etc. Plus stops me getting wound up by people asking the same pointless questions week in, week out.)
    Wal's Army on Evernight - Walred (Champ), Walmur (RK), Walbert-2 (Cappy), Walori (Guard), Walrandir (LM), Walora (Warden), Walmo (Burg)

Quote Originally Posted by Strider5548 View Post
    Eh, I really don't like the essence system, they promised they would scale it back a while ago and while essences play less of a role than they did before in gearing up they still play way too much of a role. It's a costly and rigid system that forces you to buy a ridiculous number of solvents to gear up and fork up reclamation scrolls every time you want to make changes. I don't want the LI system to look like this. Then again, the current LI system is extremely rigid, costly, and time consuming as well.
    You only need a reclamation scroll if you want to keep the essence, but you can slot a new essence over a previously slotted essence and the old one gets overwritten. You can do this on the character panel by dragging your item to that slot with the essence symbol on it. In the panel that appears it will show you the essences that are slotted for that item. Just drop a new essence over the one you want replaced to make that change. No need for scrolls or MC.

The UI is confusing and at first glance looks like it costs MC to use, but that is only if you want to keep the essence.

Wasn't "essence like system" first mentioned during an interview?

I took it to be a grasp at a term we'd be familiar with that the speaker was vaguely aware of when caught off guard. Who in their right mind would choose the second most hated game tech to fix the first most hated game tech?

Quote Originally Posted by Braer View Post
    It is interesting that you say that because I honestly remember reading that it was going to be "relic-based system" somewhere here on the forums. I tried looking for the source, but couldn't find it.

It wasn't in the Producer's Letter in April 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Now that Virtue changes are in place and the Minas Morgul expansion is behind us, we plan to update Legendary Items in 2020. We know players want changes to how these items advance, and to have more opportunity to improve their items in later content. We are also looking at more substantial changes for later in the year. It is important for us that the players feel that their progress on their Legendary Items carries forward into the new system, and we are discussing design changes with that in mind.
    It wasn't even in response to the Producer's Letter in February 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    Yes to an LI revamp, in due time. We want to revamp the system, and we want to make sure players feel their progression is represented in the new system. This isn’t something we can rush; this touches so many class balance topics that it is something we need a lot of time to design, implement, and gather test server feedback. That means I don’t want to promise it for this year, as it could creep into 2020.
    There was even this interesting response to a rumor from a disgruntled customer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybur View Post
    To be clear, we have no current plans to prevent weapon swapping in combat. Weapons can still be swapped in combat on all of our internal and preview test servers. If you experience otherwise, that is a bug and we would appreciate a bug report with the details.
    Edit: But I was able to find that interview where Severlin mentions "essence-based" at PAX Meetup February 2020: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jfbYogZGzc&t=2m20s

Interesting to note that it was the last question that was posed and he was amusingly interrupted by the weirdest sound I've ever heard.
    Last edited by WeirdJedi; Sep 17 2020 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLotroFan View Post
    You only need a reclamation scroll if you want to keep the essence, but you can slot a new essence over a previously slotted essence and the old one gets overwritten.
    I would say that I use reclamation scrolls more often than overwriting essences. Probably because overwriting would mean to fill currently empty slots with green essences, which would require getting some. Well, I could fill them with parry/evade/block essences.
    The question is therefore, if an essence based ILI system would mean that we (need to) pass on essences to alts rather than grinding a new essence for them. Of course dependent if the essence gives a legacy or just a certain quality to a given legacy.
    Last edited by thinx; Sep 18 2020 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Braer View Post

I took it to be a grasp at a term we'd be familiar with that the speaker was vaguely aware of when caught off guard. Who in their right mind would choose the second most hated game tech to fix the first most hated game tech?
    This ^^^^
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

... it's happened many many times that something he says gets taken as carved in stone or translated into something he didn't intend to say.
    'T was ever thus. Players hear (well, read) "It might be fun to do X" and they interpret it as "X is coming up next update!"

It's why the devs themselves so seldom post. Cordovan has the patience of a saint.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    'T was ever thus. Players hear (well, read) "It might be fun to do X" and they interpret it as "X is coming up next update!"
    It's why the devs themselves so seldom post.

This excuse is often made for the SSG Devs' lack of communication with their customers. And yet countless other MMOs have the same challenge, but still manage to post much more often with their supporters. Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    This excuse is often made for the SSG Devs' lack of communication with their customers. And yet countless other MMOs have the same challenge, but still manage to post much more often with their supporters. Why is that?
    Very true. If a dev doesn't make a promise when saying something, and later it is called as one, all they need do is say that they didn't promise anything. The only time to fear posting what can be considered a promise, is - making a promise. Because then people will hold them to it.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.