We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What use are Universal Crafting Components?

Hey. My storage now contains about 220 Universal Crafting Components and I have yet to use a single one. Why should I keep collecting these things?

My characters all passed level 100 many years ago so crafting equipment no longer matters. I suppose I could use them for daily Host of the West crafting. Are these things another waste of time, like leveling weapons to deconstruct for relics? I am not complaining but my time matters so if these are useless, I will stop converting task items each week. Thank you for any help you may provide.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder

Crafting still has had fleeting moments of relevance in recent times, and might do again, so keep a stack just to be sure.
    I think it was a mistake to make them so abundant, but they stack well, so they are not that much of an issue.

I mostly use them when I am short of collected resources so I have a sure crit for bulk production of ingredients. Or when I want that ilvl 426 bow to crit surely.

EDIT: And I do the quest for them only on those chars that are turning in tasks anyway for experience or reputation. So I waste no time.
    There's some good in this world, and it is worth fighting for.

Thank you both. I thought, perhaps, some crafting system I have yet to encounter made good use of Universal Crafting Ingredients.

When Universal Crafting Ingredients were introduced, I made a new character just for storing high level task items. Each week she dumps 20 task item stacks into the housing chest, then each of my characters comes in, grabs two stacks, turns them in, and puts the Universal Crafting Ingredients into storage. It takes well over an hour each week to perform this not fun busy work.

I will not throw out what I have but if Universal Crafting Ingredients have no current use I am done manufacturing them. The same goes for relics. I must spend a few hours each week at the Forge and Relic Master making those useless things. No more.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder

They stack well in a crafting bag, so they use only one slot.

Most useful thing for me to use them:
    Making the critted West-Emnet Crafting Tools more than once a week.
    With guild recipe there's a cooldown of 6d18h. With the Single-use-recipe (which you can barter for silver) you have to have critical success to get the good version (25% critical chance). So i use the universal crafting component to get a 100% chance.

I also do around 15 toons (5 are 130, the others are storage or crafting toons) every week for the quest, but also like OghranNasty i would do this anyway for experience and reputation. Reputation gathering also generates LP

I made my hubby a shield he has been wanting/ needing so used the universal for the upgrade !

In addition to critting while turning logs/ore into boards/ingots as someone previously said, I am also very glad to have these optional ingredients when I'm making gear for other people. I have 7 toons at level 130 so not doing a lot of crafting for self-gearing, but it's nice to know I can make guaranteed teal items for others.

I only have about 50 on hand, more than enough for my needs. Periodically I do tasks to resupply the stack, but it's not something I focus on. I'm starting to think I might get rid of all the traditional Crit enhancers I've been storing (e.g flax, brimstone, whet stones) which will save a tremendous amount of storage space.

I chew through so many consumables raiding, and I hardly go on landscape to get scholar mats. Being able to grab 9 universal components from our kinhouse per alt per day has saved me so much money over the course of this year.
    Argendauss, Captain
    Rechart, Warden
    Hrodgart, Beorning
    Ulxart, Loremaster

Quote Originally Posted by Omen_Kaizer View Post
    I chew through so many consumables raiding, and I hardly go on landscape to get scholar mats. Being able to grab 9 universal components from our kinhouse per alt per day has saved me so much money over the course of this year.
    You're thinking of ingredient packs. The OP was wondering about the things you get from the weekly 10 task item quest reward, festivals, and other places. They provide a single, guaranteed crit.

It's nice to have a guaranteed crit when making items. It saves a lot of mats, especially when a lot of the recipes from the Vales and higher zones use a lot of mats.
    Casual R Us - Garatha