We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Character freeze - see others moving/talking

Hi there!
    Since picking up Lotro recently I encounter a connectivity issue at seemingly random times. The character will suddenly freeze, unable to use skills except those previously queued. During this time, I can see other players move, hear them talk, and see game chat.
    after a few minutes I go link dead. No lag whatsoever, just a sudden freeze, maintaining over 100 FPS throughout.

This has happened about 10 times in 30 hours of gameplay, at different times of day on 3 different internet connections, at different intervals (5 mins, or multiple hours) on both 32 and 64 bit clients.
    The crash has on multiple occasions while I'm in a group or instances, to the point where I cannot guarantee to not go link dead mid-fight, causing raid wipes, long waiting times etc.

my trouble shooting process so far;
    • Firewall blocking LOTRO?- No
    • Inbound / Outbound ports allowed? - Set new rule
    • Set UserSpecifiedPort in UserPreferences64.ini to 9000 - Issue persists
    • Client issue? - Occurs on both 32 and 64-bit client, clean installs.
    • Router issue? - Happens on 3 internet connections all at a similar rate.
    • Latency issue? - regular play ~255ms, no latency increase observed during crash
    • Ports blocked by ISP? Occurs both while using a VPN connection and regular connection (no VPN), in 2 different countries (Europe, China).
    • Internet connection drop issue? - Able to connect to webpage during the crash

I am at a loss here, please advise on how to isolate the issue and possible fixes!
    Freeps: R14 LM/ R8 RK / R6 WRD / MNS
    Creeps: R11 WRG/ R11 SPR/ R9 RVR/ R7 WL/ R6 BA/ R5 DFL

When I have had issues similar to what you are having. I found this thread in the forums. It did help me out. I know from my own experience that there may be different causes. However it is a good place to start.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ated-1-19-2016

Quote Originally Posted by K1llyah View Post
    Hi there!
    Since picking up Lotro recently I encounter a connectivity issue at seemingly random times. The character will suddenly freeze, unable to use skills except those previously queued. During this time, I can see other players move, hear them talk, and see game chat.
    after a few minutes I go link dead. No lag whatsoever, just a sudden freeze, maintaining over 100 FPS throughout.

This has happened about 10 times in 30 hours of gameplay, at different times of day on 3 different internet connections, at different intervals (5 mins, or multiple hours) on both 32 and 64 bit clients.
    The crash has on multiple occasions while I'm in a group or instances, to the point where I cannot guarantee to not go link dead mid-fight, causing raid wipes, long waiting times etc.

my trouble shooting process so far;
    • Firewall blocking LOTRO?- No
    • Inbound / Outbound ports allowed? - Set new rule
    • Set UserSpecifiedPort in UserPreferences64.ini to 9000 - Issue persists
    • Client issue? - Occurs on both 32 and 64-bit client, clean installs.
    • Router issue? - Happens on 3 internet connections all at a similar rate.
    • Latency issue? - regular play ~255ms, no latency increase observed during crash
    • Ports blocked by ISP? Occurs both while using a VPN connection and regular connection (no VPN), in 2 different countries (Europe, China).
    • Internet connection drop issue? - Able to connect to webpage during the crash

I am at a loss here, please advise on how to isolate the issue and possible fixes!
    You're working too hard, it's them. This is the new normal. I seen people talk about reinstalling the game, changing DX all this crazy stuff, the truth is the game is broke, and it works sometimes, that is good enough for the company, because apparently it is good enough for the base.
    Cheesiepoofs Bane of Vilya

Quote Originally Posted by Seglord View Post
    You're working too hard, it's them. This is the new normal. I seen people talk about reinstalling the game, changing DX all this crazy stuff, the truth is the game is broke, and it works sometimes, that is good enough for the company, because apparently it is good enough for the base.
    I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

I learned back in the 1990's by a local computer PC builder that 1st and foremost your hardware profile matters. If you build or buy a prebuilt computer you need to know how Microsoft PC's are built. He informed that he always built his computers so the hardware would not give a problem with programs. After that keep in mind no matter where you are in the world there is infrastructure between your computer and the data center. There is anything in-between that can affect how the game performance.

I should point out that for any program to last with such a following as Lotro has for 13 years is impressive since there has not been a Version 2, 3 etc. Lotro has out lasted Windows XP which it was developed for, Vista as well as Windows 7. Think about that for a moment. The evolution in the Windows operating system. A game with programing that goes back 13+ years. That is a lot of game code. Where one wrong programing line and issues come up in unexpected places just due to the fact the game code is that complex.

Okay, So I would look at my own personal internet provider. Do Tests to make sure you are receiving what you are paying for. In my case my provider only offers packages in how much the download and upload is. They do not offer a separate package for gamers like some do.

Than if that is not an issue. Check out your own hardware. Are all drivers up to date. How much ram do you have. How is the video card. Okay in fact the profile order I follow is(and this is how I was taught and I don't normally have issues with the game). The most important thing is your video card. Make sure you have plenty of ram on it because if it can't draw the graphics your sunk. I have learned over time (and I have an Nvidia graphics card) I make sure the profile for the game and yes if you don't find it you can add Lotro. The settings much match the settings in game. If those don't match such as you check in the advanced graphics you want "Triple Buffering" if you don't make sure it is activated on the graphics card it will not work properly. Than make as much ram as you can afford or 16 GB is pretty much good. Next a good CPU. Lastly my friend always preferred and I still look for today is an intel chipset but not an intel board. I currently have an MSI gaming mother board and it came with "Killer Control Center" I tested it out and "Yes" it for me has made a difference.

If you have a router wireless or not. Routers have built in firewalls. You need to go to the previous post I made and it will talk you though many steps. For me I needed to set up "Port Forwarding". I got help to make sure I was set up correctly and for me it has made a difference.

Keep in mind where we all are today more, much more traffic is in different places on the internet than planned due to the pandemic. Where you are located will make a difference. Such as if your area was one where people traveled from to go to work before and now they work form home and the kids are schooled from home. This will change the internet in your area. It just does.

For me and What I have done to achieve a good quality Lotro experience I can tell you that a 13 year old game or not. I rarely have problems playing the game. I know someone will criticize about what I have wrote. I'm okay with that because I know what I have done has for me worked.

Quote Originally Posted by farmhand99 View Post
    I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

I learned back in the 1990's by a local computer PC builder that 1st and foremost your hardware profile matters. If you build or buy a prebuilt computer you need to know how Microsoft PC's are built. He informed that he always built his computers so the hardware would not give a problem with programs. After that keep in mind no matter where you are in the world there is infrastructure between your computer and the data center. There is anything in-between that can affect how the game performance.

I should point out that for any program to last with such a following as Lotro has for 13 years is impressive since there has not been a Version 2, 3 etc. Lotro has out lasted Windows XP which it was developed for, Vista as well as Windows 7. Think about that for a moment. The evolution in the Windows operating system. A game with programing that goes back 13+ years. That is a lot of game code. Where one wrong programing line and issues come up in unexpected places just due to the fact the game code is that complex.

Okay, So I would look at my own personal internet provider. Do Tests to make sure you are receiving what you are paying for. In my case my provider only offers packages in how much the download and upload is. They do not offer a separate package for gamers like some do.

Than if that is not an issue. Check out your own hardware. Are all drivers up to date. How much ram do you have. How is the video card. Okay in fact the profile order I follow is(and this is how I was taught and I don't normally have issues with the game). The most important thing is your video card. Make sure you have plenty of ram on it because if it can't draw the graphics your sunk. I have learned over time (and I have an Nvidia graphics card) I make sure the profile for the game and yes if you don't find it you can add Lotro. The settings much match the settings in game. If those don't match such as you check in the advanced graphics you want "Triple Buffering" if you don't make sure it is activated on the graphics card it will not work properly. Than make as much ram as you can afford or 16 GB is pretty much good. Next a good CPU. Lastly my friend always preferred and I still look for today is an intel chipset but not an intel board. I currently have an MSI gaming mother board and it came with "Killer Control Center" I tested it out and "Yes" it for me has made a difference.

If you have a router wireless or not. Routers have built in firewalls. You need to go to the previous post I made and it will talk you though many steps. For me I needed to set up "Port Forwarding". I got help to make sure I was set up correctly and for me it has made a difference.

Keep in mind where we all are today more, much more traffic is in different places on the internet than planned due to the pandemic. Where you are located will make a difference. Such as if your area was one where people traveled from to go to work before and now they work form home and the kids are schooled from home. This will change the internet in your area. It just does.

For me and What I have done to achieve a good quality Lotro experience I can tell you that a 13 year old game or not. I rarely have problems playing the game. I know someone will criticize about what I have wrote. I'm okay with that because I know what I have done has for me worked.
    You can respectfully disagree all you like, the facts are the game has been shutdown for a week for the exact same reasons the OP has described, even after they have opened up their servers again, I experience the same symptoms as the OP, and up until the week long crash of SSG servers , my computer has ran the game a lot better before their week long crash, then after they have brought the servers up.

I'm not saying tweaking your computer wont help under normal conditions, but suggesting jumping through hoops to fix what has been going on these last few weeks is futile, and is not going to fix what happened with their servers.
    We're at the mercy of their monitoring and tweaking the servers atm.
    Cheesiepoofs Bane of Vilya

Narrowing down the issue #2

Further following a recommended help thread above, I downloaded PingPlotter and ran a trace while playing the game normally.
    This morning the gameplay was especially atrocious (roughly midnight U.S time), disconnected 8 times in under an hour mid conversation with kin members, but I guess it served as an excellent testing opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by farmhand99 View Post
    Check out your own hardware, enable port forwarding
    Port forwarding was included in problem-solving process in original post.
    Regarding the hardware;
    Processor: Intel i5-8300H
    RAM: 8 GB
    DirectX 12; manually set to 11 for Lotro.

These are the data and plots of start of 2 sessions until crash occurred. Notably, during the character freeze no spike in current packet loss, as reported in the PingPlotter program, was observed.
    ISP #1, packet sent every 0.5 seconds.

as for the first ISP, and me being non-tech guy, I'm not sure what the missing hops or * indicate. I'm assuming it can be disregarded, since data for the final hop is available.
    ISP #2 packet sent every 2.5 seconds.

Again, a stark increase is observed in final few hops.

Note that, during the freezes FPS of 150+, and latency of 255ms was reported using in-game options, message "connection to chat has been re-established" popped up.
    I have experienced these freezes sporadically, even before the datacenter issues emerged, hence the initial disregard of a connection between the two. However, in light of these findings;

1. Am I correct to conclude that no fault in the loss of connection falls on my end, and connection issues are unrelated with using Chinese ISPs?
    2. Is this connection problem related to the recent datacenter issues?
    Last edited by K1llyah; Aug 02 2020 at 05:26 AM.
    Freeps: R14 LM/ R8 RK / R6 WRD / MNS
    Creeps: R11 WRG/ R11 SPR/ R9 RVR/ R7 WL/ R6 BA/ R5 DFL