We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

BBoM Chapter 8.7: The First Promise (instance) -- Need advice

I need some advice for how to complete this instance because it's kicking my butt.

I am trying to do it on my level 123 hunter (the quest itself is level 119). I generally am defeated within 10 seconds of engaging even a single drake hatchling. If I happen to get two on me it's almost instant. I have tried letting Durin grab them before I start plunking at them (one at a time) but at least one always comes to me.

I have no trouble with hatchlings or drakes in regular landscape. My impression with the grey mountains instances when I ran the area on my main was that the tactical damage in instances was poorly scaled.

Of course, it is possible I am a terrible hunter player or that I need better gear (my hunter is using quest gear from the area).

So, with the background and moaning out of the way, can anyone offer some practical suggestions on how to get through these instances?

Quote Originally Posted by Alcor View Post
    I need some advice for how to complete this instance because it's kicking my butt.

I am trying to do it on my level 123 hunter (the quest itself is level 119). I generally am defeated within 10 seconds of engaging even a single drake hatchling. If I happen to get two on me it's almost instant. I have tried letting Durin grab them before I start plunking at them (one at a time) but at least one always comes to me.

I have no trouble with hatchlings or drakes in regular landscape. My impression with the grey mountains instances when I ran the area on my main was that the tactical damage in instances was poorly scaled.

Of course, it is possible I am a terrible hunter player or that I need better gear (my hunter is using quest gear from the area).

So, with the background and moaning out of the way, can anyone offer some practical suggestions on how to get through these instances?
    Any additional info like your stats, combat log, how much damage they deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Any additional info like your stats, combat log, how much damage they deal?
    I don't have them handy. What I can remember is morale is 56K. I looked at the combat log and saw fairly frequent damage hits in the 5K range. I don't think my tactical mitigation is great but there is no quick fix for that is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Alcor View Post

I know on my hunter, I tend to get complacent because content is generally easy for hunters. Then you get that one kind of mob and I have to open my bag of tools, lol.

Try to wait and see if any come towards you before you start shooting at all. IIRC, Durin can take a lot of heat. Set traps before you fire. Focus, too. Get ready with Bard's Arrow if they get too close. Let them fear away a bit before resuming. Dazing Blow if they get close again. Know where your heal skills are: Cry of the Hunter for the bubble, Blood Arrow for heal, and Press onward. Distracting shot can mez them for a bit to let you heal or set up a focus shot. Blue line will let you back up while firing. I forget if there are obstacles, but getting behind one cuts their ranged attacks. Don't forget bow chants, fire oil or light oil. Light oil causes them to miss more often. Beneath Notice may get them back on Durin.

Oh, and stay WAAAAY back! Don't follow close to Durin!