We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    The final straw (in Aragorn - Arwen wedding)

    .... is when Gimbeorn shows up to the banquet with a bunch of dogs walking on their hind legs.



    First we get the Shadowed King (nameless dwarf fanboi and cosplayer) inexplicably having Angmarim architecture in his first-age fanboi mancave.... now we have dogs walking around on their hind legs with platters serving guests cream filled puffs and wine in Aragorn's wedding banquet.

    On top of all of this, Aragorn and Arwen dance out of lockstep so that they warp into each other. The effort couldn't even be made to have them be one single sprite.

    as an even further nitpick, Arwen's collection of elves is mostly filled with no-name "friend of Arwen" wearing Malledrim (southern mirkwood) outfits.... instead of the numerous Rivendell / Lorien elves we've met dressed in Rivendell-elf outfits. I guess remembering all of the elves from the old quest chains from SoA / MoM is too difficult.



    The game has now officially entered joke territory where not even the story / landscape devs take it seriously.

    So much effort seems to be put into these things but yet massive QA oversights routinely slip through. Sad.
    The Black Appendage of Sauron

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Saruman_Of_Numbers View Post
    .... is when Gimbeorn shows up to the banquet with a bunch of dogs walking on their hind legs.



    First we get the Shadowed King (nameless dwarf fanboi and cosplayer) inexplicably having Angmarim architecture in his first-age fanboi mancave.... now we have dogs walking around on their hind legs with platters serving guests cream filled puffs and wine in Aragorn's wedding banquet.

    On top of all of this, Aragorn and Arwen dance out of lockstep so that they warp into each other. The effort couldn't even be made to have them be one single sprite.

    as an even further nitpick, Arwen's collection of elves is mostly filled with no-name "friend of Arwen" wearing Malledrim (southern mirkwood) outfits.... instead of the numerous Rivendell / Lorien elves we've met dressed in Rivendell-elf outfits. I guess remembering all of the elves from the old quest chains from SoA / MoM is too difficult.



    The game has now officially entered joke territory where not even the story / landscape devs take it seriously.

    So much effort seems to be put into these things but yet massive QA oversights routinely slip through. Sad.
    Well, this dogs from Vales of Anduin Grimbeorn quest, looks like you miss them in the past

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Well, this dogs from Vales of Anduin Grimbeorn quest, looks like you miss them in the past
    Just because they exist doesn't mean you have to shoehorn them in.
    The Black Appendage of Sauron

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Horsell Common
    Posts
    1,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Saruman_Of_Numbers View Post
    .... is when Gimbeorn shows up to the banquet with a bunch of dogs walking on their hind legs.



    First we get the Shadowed King (nameless dwarf fanboi and cosplayer) inexplicably having Angmarim architecture in his first-age fanboi mancave.... now we have dogs walking around on their hind legs with platters serving guests cream filled puffs and wine in Aragorn's wedding banquet.
    Sorry to bust your bubble, but this is not only lore appropriate, but in line with actual canon ...

    "Inside the hall it was now quite dark. Beorn clapped his hands, and in trotted four beautiful white ponies and several large long-bodied grey dogs. Beorn said something to them in a queer language like animal noises turned into talk. They went out again and soon came back carrying torches in their mouths, which they lit at the fire and stuck in low brackets on the pillars of the hall about the central hearth. The dogs could stand on their hind-legs when they wished, and carry things with their fore-feet. Quickly they got out boards and trestles from the sidewalls and set them up near the fire.

    Then baa—baa—baa! was heard, and in came some snow-white sheep led by a large coal-black ram. One bore a white cloth embroidered at the edges with figures of animals; others bore on their broad backs trays with bowls and platters and knives and wooden spoons, which the dogs took and quickly laid on the trestle-tables."

    From The Hobbit, Chapter VII "Queer Lodgings"
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Jul 01 2020 at 02:18 PM.

    I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Sorry to bust your bubble, but this is not only lore appropriate, but in line with actual canon ...
    The existence of such dogs is canon. Their presence at the wedding is not.
    While the books do not explicitly say that Grimbeorn wasn't at the wedding, or that there weren't any dogs walking on their hindlegs and serving at the wedding, one would think they would have warranted at least some mention if they had been there.

    The books also don't say that there weren't a bunch of dancing Mûmaks at the wedding, nor do they say that there weren't a group of singing orcs performing at the wedding - but it seems extremely farfetched to think either of these actually were present at the wedding.

  6. #6
    When the lockdown takes its effect on people and after spending too much time indoors playing games people start believing that a video game as well as the story (books/films) are real, therefore walking dogs and whatever else should not be possible and otherwise is outrageous.

    I'm sure you will find Mumaks in your local park, just don't be rude and don't refer to small people as hobbits.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    The existence of such dogs is canon. Their presence at the wedding is not.
    While the books do not explicitly say that Grimbeorn wasn't at the wedding, or that there weren't any dogs walking on their hindlegs and serving at the wedding, one would think they would have warranted at least some mention if they had been there.

    The books also don't say that there weren't a bunch of dancing Mûmaks at the wedding, nor do they say that there weren't a group of singing orcs performing at the wedding - but it seems extremely farfetched to think either of these actually were present at the wedding.
    If Tolkien never say what they wasn't at the weddings, they can be here. At least Grimbeorn know about wedding. And of course he can be invited

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Horsell Common
    Posts
    1,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    If Tolkien never say what they wasn't at the weddings, they can be here. At least Grimbeorn know about wedding. And of course he can be invited
    This.

    Tolkien gives us very little information about the wedding and the events surrounding it, therefore SSG as usual have had to flesh it out themselves. Grimbeorn has a big part in the Black Book, so it makes complete sense for him and his dogs to get an invite. Don’t see what the issue is tbh ...

    I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    If Tolkien never say what they wasn't at the weddings, they can be here.
    That can be used to justify lots of things in the game. It is not a good enough justification for adding just anything though.

    Just because they can theoretically be there, does not automatically mean it is a good idea.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    That can be used to justify lots of things in the game. It is not a good enough justification for adding just anything though.

    Just because they can theoretically be there, does not automatically mean it is a good idea.
    Elrond and other people from Rivendel stay in Grimbeorn home for a while, he spend a lot of time prepearing food for them. He even complaining about that in quests. And based on his character, of course he can't miss chance to visit MT and get some food too. It's not like Tolkien have 20 tomes with all minimal details about Lord of the Rings.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    This.

    Tolkien gives us very little information about the wedding and the events surrounding it, therefore SSG as usual have had to flesh it out themselves. Grimbeorn has a big part in the Black Book, so it makes complete sense for him and his dogs to get an invite. Don’t see what the issue is tbh ...
    The issue is the "glass half-full/half-empty" conundrum. Some people - such as myself & I suspect yourself - take pleasure in the things that they like and disregard what they don't like if they can avoid having to do something with/about it, e.g. I find some Midsummer quests annoying, so I skip them. I'm not too thrilled about certain combat mechanics (broadly speaking) but I have to live with them.
    Others dwell on minute fractions of displeasure and wallow in it to the detriment of everything else. They prefer being unhappy and dissatisfied.

    In this case I think that if it were not for the dogs, it would have been a certain "wrong" shade of yellow, the height of the step on the stairs, the name of the 73rd guest and the way he sat, or something else entirely. Even if a certain detail is very much open to interpretation, SSG did it "wrong" because some people "feel" better that way.

    It can't be helped but you can fortunately decide not to play with negative people online.
    Zohal
    85 Warden - Leader of The Last Alliance - Anor
    Challenger of the Rift - Challenger of Helegrod

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lothlorien
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Saruman_Of_Numbers View Post
    Just because they exist doesn't mean you have to shoehorn them in.
    Play passed 105 boomer

    Mirage
    Arkenstone | Anor


 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload