We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Housing, is it better or worse than other mmos?

Hey everyone! So I reactivated my account after being gone for sometime and I been playing FFXIV for while now and wanted to know how the housing is in Lotro compared to other mmos most specifically FFXIV? When I played lotro long ago couple years ago I never got into housing here but I want to try it now because it has since become a favorite part of my mmo playing time. (Enjoyed eq2 housing alot).

Problem I am having in FFXIV is no plots available. Is this a problem in lotro? Will I be able to own a house in this game more easily? Is the decorating really limited like I hear still or has it gotten better? I am not a max level player and don't have hardly any gold so I won't be able to buy a house right away or anything but knowing what availability there is and how good it is would clue me in what lotro has to offer. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

They give huge amount of changes in housing in last years. You can buy bigger premium houses, and you have more when 1 house per account. You can set crafting stations, banking service and training dummy in house or outdoor, and you can move any set item around hook, so you can create different combinations with different items. As example, you can set table and set different books on it. You can set your cosmetic pets in house (they add that feature in this summer, maybe next month, also when they add rohan houses, you can set your mounts as items in house), and you can setup huge item with books in house with different audiobooks telling you lore stories about different regions added in last years.

Quote Originally Posted by sinlust09 View Post
    Hey everyone! So I reactivated my account after being gone for sometime and I been playing FFXIV for while now and wanted to know how the housing is in Lotro compared to other mmos most specifically FFXIV?
    The best MMO housing I know of is in Rift, termed dimensions. It allows for very extensive building. You can build a village or city if you want. Every character starts with 2 dimension slots but can buy more, up to 20. There are no rents and over one hundred different dimensions to pick from. Most dimensions are a portion of a game landscape. A couple are nearly completely empty so you can start from scratch.

The costs are substantial to expand some dimensions to the maximum number of items but one time costs. There are many thousands of items to place in dimensions. Players can visit the thousands of existing dimensions and give them votes of approval. There are a couple of dimension contests, with prizes, in progress now. Here are the results of a cave dimension contest earlier this year. There are screenshots for each entry plus video walk thrus. A couple of the entries had LOTR themes, Moria and Thorin's Hall.

https://www.cadrift.net/gameplay/scr...ing-for-caves/

It is ridicolously expensive, options are too limited, and only those who think they are playing TheSims: Middle Earth are enjoying being brutally scammed everytime.
    Arenaan - 50 Champion (Snowy 2007) Ulderich - 60 Champion (Snowy 2008) Ulderich II - 60 Champion (Eldar 2008) Caeinwyn - 65 Champion (Eldar 2008-2011)
    Angbohr V - 115 Champion (EN 2012-2017) Angbohr and Hateful - 85 Champions (Anor 2018-2020) Angbohr VI the Last - 130 Champion (Ark 2020-?)

Thanks for the replys so far, keep them coming lol. In all seriousness though it looks like lotro housing is either you love it or hate it, no middle ground, at least the impression I get.

I played Rift in the very beginning, but stopped after 6 months, never got into housing, don't think they had it available at the time I quit but wasn't a fan of the game overall tbh. ESO is another game I wanted to like housing in but I found buying all expacs and stuff to be expensive.

Thanks for the replys so far

Thanks for the replys so far, keep them coming lol. In all seriousness though it looks like lotro housing is either you love it or hate it, no middle ground, at least the impression I get.

I played Rift in the very beginning, but stopped after 6 months, never got into housing, don't think they had it available at the time I quit but wasn't a fan of the game overall tbh. ESO is another game I wanted to like housing in but I found buying all expacs and stuff to be expensive.

Thanks for the replys so far
    Yeah, I'm one of those who really loves LOTRO housing while also being a bit realistic about it.

It's Pros-

1- They recently made hook placement much easier with movement and organizing.
    2- They are going to make each premium house have its own storage around when Helm's Deep launches on the legendary servers.
    3- Premium houses tend to have many more slots and functionality than classic houses.

It's Cons-

1- Premium housing can be expensive
    2- Even with more hooks in premium housing, it's still not a substantial number

My best comparison would be with SWTOR's stronghold system. Have never played Rift or experimented with housing yet in ESO, so please take this with a grain of salt.

In SWTOR, you can buy an entire instanced area. Where LOTRO has an advantage is in their neighborhood system where you can see the creativity of others in their decorating. In SWTOR, you pretty much have to be "invited" or "know people" to see other housing areas. But you can buy 1 of each "stronghold" on a different "Star Wars" planet. Each of these has a very large number of hooks- an extremely high number with a ton of decoration functionality; and, to prevent game crashes, lag, and other issues, it also has a strict Cap on how many decorations you can use in total in each stronghold. In LOTRO, I would much prefer to have a ton of hooks with a count-limit than very few hooks and less creativity. But, SWTOR housing is even more insanely expensive than LOTRO's! It's either a HUGE number of credits currency or basically their equivalent of LOTRO / Turbine points. While the mithril coin cost is a bit expensive in LOTRO, you get the whole house in 1 package rather than having to separately pay for unlocking separate rooms as in SWTOR. So, in that respect, LOTRO is better; you get the whole property in one buy.

I guess the take-away here is each game has its pro's and con's with housing and for different reasons. My recommendation is simply: What interests you the most? Does LOTR's lore excite you enough to want a house in Gondor? If so, go for it! The same goes for any game and whatever you like in it No housing system will be perfect. What I do appreciate about housing in LOTRO is that the Devs are consciously -making- good updates to it, whereas SWTOR pretty much seems to be set in stone with its housing.

So, really, the only advantage SWTOR has, IMHO, is that it just has a ton more hooks and a cap rather than a ton less hooks and no cap, and basically, your own huge private playground, 8-9 different strongholds in total you can own at once. But that's pretty much it, I'd say. LOTRO still has a pretty robust housing system. I really like LOTRO's neighborhood system and the overall lore behind it.
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

Hey everyone! So I reactivated my account after being gone for sometime and I been playing FFXIV for while now and wanted to know how the housing is in Lotro compared to other mmos most specifically FFXIV? When I played lotro long ago couple years ago I never got into housing here but I want to try it now because it has since become a favorite part of my mmo playing time. (Enjoyed eq2 housing alot).

Problem I am having in FFXIV is no plots available. Is this a problem in lotro? Will I be able to own a house in this game more easily? Is the decorating really limited like I hear still or has it gotten better? I am not a max level player and don't have hardly any gold so I won't be able to buy a house right away or anything but knowing what availability there is and how good it is would clue me in what lotro has to offer. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
    LOTRO houses are not the most modern system but they are not far behind. They are 3D models rich in details, varied in house building styles & sizes. IMO they are really beautiful. The devs added to them a lot of extra functionalities on the resent years. Also the customization that players can do on their houses have being greatly expanded with sliders that allow you to fine tune the location of items & allow the use of many items. With a bit imagination, you can do wondrous things at your house. There are new decoration items alternatives added regularly. Unless you go to a overpopulated server, you will not have any issues finding a house. There are plenty lots available.

Here is a link of my favorite LOTRO housings website that really got deep on the theme: https://en.dcodumilieu.fr/

Here are a couple links to screenshots of 2 of my 10 houses:

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

I tinkered around in SWTOR with the strongholds when they first introduced it, about a month, everything was expensive I had decorated with what I had. Something was missing in swtor housing, probably the fact it was instanced, not a fan of instanced housing, only exception was EQ2. Housing in Swtor was imo boring and bland and too cartooney I guess? Anyways, loved Swtor back in the day but I wasn't a fan of housing there.

EQ2 is where I adopted my fascination with housing, that game was amazing in housing, decorations, just everything. The sheer amount of decorations and premium houses was insane, I enjoyed it but yet again (instancing) took slightly from it. SO with that being said I have never played a neighborhood housing setting so I am looking forward to it here once I can afford stuff. What servers should I stay away from if I want a good selection of houses available?

I tinkered around in SWTOR with the strongholds when they first introduced it, about a month, everything was expensive I had decorated with what I had. Something was missing in swtor housing, probably the fact it was instanced, not a fan of instanced housing, only exception was EQ2. Housing in Swtor was imo boring and bland and too cartooney I guess? Anyways, loved Swtor back in the day but I wasn't a fan of housing there.

EQ2 is where I adopted my fascination with housing, that game was amazing in housing, decorations, just everything. The sheer amount of decorations and premium houses was insane, I enjoyed it but yet again (instancing) took slightly from it. SO with that being said I have never played a neighborhood housing setting so I am looking forward to it here once I can afford stuff. What servers should I stay away from if I want a good selection of houses available?
    I play on Arkenstone and have found a decent number of nice houses available despite Ark being the most populated NA server. Evernight is an EU server and higher pop than Ark, so it might have fewer houses.

One point that nobody seems to have been clear about is that there are several different options for housing/buildings:

1. Standard and Deluxe houses in the original 4 housing areas (Bree, Shire, Thorins, near Duilond). You can purchase a single one of these with game gold. All characters on that account can port to the house.

2. Premium houses in Belfalas and soon more in Rohan. These are purchased with Mithril Coins which you buy for LOTRO points from the store. Only limit on these is your wallet. If you are VIP then there's no weekly maintenance fee.

3. Kinhouses in both original and the Belfalas housing areas. Kinship needs to be 3 months old before you can buy a kinhouse. You only need to have a minimum of one character in a kinship nowadays, so you could just create a new character and get them up to level 5 and out of the starter area in order to create a one-man kinship. Park them for 3 months and buy a kinhouse. You can give all your other characters permission to use the kinhouse storage etc., they just won't get a port like a kin member would. This can be a very useful way to gain extra shared storage. Especially useful if you buy a kinhouse close to your other house so everyone can port in down the street and run over to the kinhouse.

I've got a nice little arrangement where my two accounts' houses are adjacent to my personal kinhouse. One of the neighbors nicely put a bunch of crafting stations in their front yard.

Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

I guess mine is an impopular opinion in this forum but, after playing mmos where the housing system let me place furniture freely wherever I want (FXIV, ESO) coming back to lotro's hooks was... dreadful. There are simply not enough hooks to create something nice without leaving empty rooms in the bigger houses, and the concept of a hook itself means that it restricts you in some way.
    We know from a recent interview that the hooks are here to stay and that they are doing improvements for Rohan housing, so that's good at least buuuut.... I can't make myself hyped. I tried, more than once. Take the new festival... the new floating lanterns, the food platters and all, wonderful! If only I had enough hooks to display most of them.
    My Lotro blog :)

Quote Originally Posted by miriadel View Post
    After playing mmos where the housing system let me place furniture freely wherever I want (FXIV, ESO) coming back to lotro's hooks was... dreadful. There are simply not enough hooks to create something nice without leaving empty rooms in the bigger houses, and the concept of a hook itself means that it restricts you in some way.
    We know from a recent interview that the hooks are here to stay and that they are doing improvements for Rohan housing, so that's good at least buuuut.... I can't make myself hyped. I tried, more than once. Take the new festival... the new floating lanterns, the food platters and all, wonderful! If only I had enough hooks to display most of them.
    They have improvements for classic houses too, not only for Rohan houses

Thank you!
    Getting a house in LOTRO is usually not a problem. You might not always be able to get a house at just the location you want, but getting a house is easy.

Decorating has been improved and is more flexible now than it used to be, but still not quite as flexible as it is in FFXIV.

If you want to check availability you can always travel to one of the housing areas in LOTRO to check them out. While there you might also find some open houses where you can see what kind of decorations some other players have managed.

My only problem with the housing system is the restriction on hook numbers.
    Placement flexibility is great now.
    I've collected quite a few great bits and pieces for both inside and out, just wish I could display them all.
    Even maybe 3 more yard hooks and 5 for interior (for deluxe) would have me completely satisfied.
    Odda Stonehewn, Hunter, proud member of Durin's Folk (Laurelin)

More & Less

They seriously increased the number of hooks inside the houses in the starter areas some years ago, I would say more than quadrupling them .

However they left the number on the outside the same (about 6 for a deluxe & 12 for a Kin).

Even with a couple of huge items in the yard the place looks empty, enough grassland in Bree housing for a flock of sheep/goats or a herd of Dunland cows.

A lot off recent festival offerings have been on the small but with cute animations feature, 'cept you have to activate the animation first & it sometimes gets silly such as when you activate guard dog & it follows you inside!

Kin houses (I think the 3 month rules been lifted or considerably reduced) have a number of internal huge & unique hooks, unfortunately the decorations on offer just don't look right.

A lot of the smaller decorations are also of the why would I have that in the house appearances, although animated decorations in house trigger when you enter.

They make a great thing about but you can put an item in it's own or a higher category hook. But having say a snow globe taking up 1/3rd of the floor space in a kin hall just looks silly.
    No King, No Law, Utopia!