We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfy View Post
    The game currently favors morale stacking, with huge, unblockable hits.
    If you think 5% extra mits is equal to 33% extra morale, you are mistaken.
    That's one reason people ask exclusively for cappy tanks on LFF.
    Captains aren't wanted cause they have more morale. They're wanted cause they have utility, healing and amazing, low cooldown "Oh, snap" skills, especially when paired with the Last Stand set.
    Also...Guards can do pretty much everything that a Captain can, barring Remmorchant. In a stable group, you can do AM T5 with a semi-healer like a yellow minstrel or even a blue Captain.

The fact that guardians are not capable of tanking the same difficulty instances that cappies are, indicates that it's guardians that are broken,
    while cappies are in a good spot.
    They can tank them cause of cooldowns, simple as that. If Guardian had a no-death-allowed skill, they'd be way above Captains in raid-tanking.

It would be far simpler to change one number - the stat cap - which will nicely lower the progression curve, than to alter every piece of gear, every essence, and every other item that adds block parry and evade, such as relics, traits, etc.
    You....you aren't aware they got the tech that literally allows them to change all stat contributions on-the-fly?

Tanks are expected to cap their mits, so they should easily cap their phys mit.
    Guards are spending nearly all their essence slots on tactical mitigation, to plug a hole that shouldn't exist.
    Absolutely not. No stat should be capped out for free.

By lowering the tact mit stat cap, it would free up essence slots to be used for other more interesting stats.
    Except nobody capable slots mitigations, it's all vitality since it provides the best returns. Simply lowering the tactical mitigation requirement would change nothing other than further enforce people stacking vitality.

Seems you've missed the problem with low tact mit.
    With full raid armor, Guards shouldn't have a big hole in their tact mit.
    If armor gave the same mitigations to phys mit as tact mit, we wouldn't have that problem.
    ...literally all tanks have issues with tactical mitigation. This isn't Guardian exclusive.
    Beyond that, I'll refer to what I wrote previously and rephrase what was written before it. No stat cap should be reachable for free, even for tanks.

As the OP stated, base damage and bleeds have not scaled up properly from 115 to 130.
    Questing on guard takes ages compared to other classes now.
    I wouldn't mind improving some traits also, but that would require more complex work and could easily get screwed up.
    True, bleeds haven't scaled that well, however, base damage has. Guardian has some of the best base damages in the game, which is offset with them having low critical chance and magnitude bonuses (outside bleed criticals).
    Simply changing and buffing the damage would cause the same issue that happened back at the following caps:
    65, 85, 105, 115 and 130.
    I won't go in length as to what happened with each, but we can summarize by saying that Guardian didn't scale well. Outside of LVL 85 when we had Graalx balancing Guardians, they've always been patched-up slightly with meager, band-aid buffs, while keeping so many useless traits. Traits need a rework, not another simple buff. I'll write an essay about this some other time...
    Also, no. Questing on a Guardian doesn't take long at all. I can still one-two shot most mobs on the landscape and while leveling, Guardian is very, very strong, evident by the recent PVP event as well as Legendary Servers.
    I'd love to see where you've came to this conclusion.

But you said base damage was fine?
    Base damage should be scaled up properly, in line with other classes, and we shouldn't waste a special spot on our belt in order to fix this fundamental part of the game.
    Yes, base damage is fine. Bleeds could use touching up, but that's what traits and legacies should be for, as problem lies in the scaling, not base damage.
    Again, I'll refer to Legendary and PVP server, where Guardian is pretty good at lower levels and only when you account Imbuement, Guardian starts falling behind, which obviously hints at that form of scaling.

I'll reside in this for now and continue my own works elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by zaboch View Post
    This is actually something with which I have the biggest issue in LotRO.

During times in which we had actual main stat caps 1-65, I do not remember it being possible for people being able to then also cap non-main stats as well (Such as crit/mastery/mitigations etc), an even during level 75-85 times I don't remember this being possible either.

It has only been since the introduction of the Essence system, primarily during Throne in which this mentality has arisen that "I MUST be able to Cap XYZ", and I'm sorry but, the game should NEVER be in that position, to have DPSers running around who are easily able to overcap their Critical Rating and Mastery and then also reach absurd levels of morale (Yes, I'm looking at you Champions), is just a joke. Being able to Cap one thing should severely limit or even prevent you from capping something else, we should never have a situation in which people are capable of capping XYZ stats with so much ease they have left-overs to dump into something else.

That being said, the changes to Tactical Mitigation at this level cap still blow my mind, it was already "difficult" to cap beforehand (in the game environment we were in before the change was made), and perhaps now too. Furthermore, I have never understood why Light Armours + Hunters receive 1 point of Tactical Mitigation per 1 Vitality when TANKS do not, I feel like primarily this change ALONE would go a long way into helping every tank in the game.

Ohlala i definitely wanna see the physical mitigation cap increased, Nothing too crazy but atleast make it so that armour rating alone doesn't cap it. Purple armour already gets u to like 10% off cap. (didn't test it so pls no roasting) and raid gear easily caps it.

This will not only make physical mit essences more useful but it will also make some tank buffs more useful. And ofcourse it will make physical fights harder which are most of the time too easy.
    -beorning bear form +30% armour
    -cappy sure strike armour buff
    -guards 10% armour buff
    -warden phys mit buffs

Any stat should'nt be capped for free indeed and tactical mitigation is way too insane to cap atm. Morale tanking is a huge problem in the game atm and it does affect guards negatively, the two biggest reasons are ofcourse too little adds, just big bosses doing big hits and all the other stats being too hard/useless to cap. This is not only a guardian thing but can we make all stats useful again? Both rating and content changes will be very important here.

Atm it kinda looks like this:
    -Morale spam
    -Inch cool but too easy to get with current gear so i do care but it's not really something you have to focus on too much atm, and definitely not with any essences.
    -Phys mit don't care
    -Tmit don't care
    -Crit def don't care
    -Resistance don't care
    -BPE don't care
    Last edited by HolyDuckTape; Jun 25 2020 at 12:20 AM.

Also...Guards can do pretty much everything that a Captain can, barring Remmorchant.
    Remmorchant IS the most important thing to be able to tank, and I thought that was the whole point of this thread -
    to fix guardians so they will be capable of tanking Remmorchant, especially the higher tiers.

They can tank them cause of cooldowns, simple as that. If Guardian had a no-death-allowed skill, they'd be way above Captains in raid-tanking.
    I would be very happy if Guards skills worked as effectively as Captains - eg. if Juggernaut and pledge were as effective as Shield of the Dunedain.
    And also I would advocate for a reduction in the CDs of Juggernaut and Pledge.
    If these changes were implemented (along with all the others I mentioned),
    then a no-death-allowed skill would not be neccessary to bring guards close to captains in effectiveness.

You....you aren't aware they got the tech that literally allows them to change all stat contributions on-the-fly?
    No, I wasn't aware, but I would be happy if it took even a week for them to lower the tact mit cap.

I'm not sure why you would say this, but if it is some kind of unspoken rule, why not make it possible to cap mitigations with just 2 or 3 essences, so players can have choose a variety of essences and builds and still be effective.
    I have seen tanks walking around with a dozen or more tact mit essences.
    This is simply rediculous and is an obvious flaw in game design that players are trying to solve.

...literally all tanks have issues with tactical mitigation. This isn't Guardian exclusive.
    Exactly! That is why the tact mit cap needs to be lowered.
    It will fix the problem for all heavy armor classes.

And regarding damage in red line, my guard is far weaker than my hunter for level 130 mobs.
    And hunter is of course supposed to be higher, but I'm talking about the magnitude of difference.
    I would be surprised if any objective testing or adjustment has been done on guardian DPS recently.
    Hammer down is in a good spot, but other skills and bleeds are too weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Hephburz-2 View Post
    This is actually something with which I have the biggest issue in LotRO.

During times in which we had actual main stat caps 1-65, I do not remember it being possible for people being able to then also cap non-main stats as well (Such as crit/mastery/mitigations etc), an even during level 75-85 times I don't remember this being possible either.

It has only been since the introduction of the Essence system, primarily during Throne in which this mentality has arisen that "I MUST be able to Cap XYZ", and I'm sorry but, the game should NEVER be in that position, to have DPSers running around who are easily able to overcap their Critical Rating and Mastery and then also reach absurd levels of morale (Yes, I'm looking at you Champions), is just a joke. Being able to Cap one thing should severely limit or even prevent you from capping something else, we should never have a situation in which people are capable of capping XYZ stats with so much ease they have left-overs to dump into something else.

That being said, the changes to Tactical Mitigation at this level cap still blow my mind, it was already "difficult" to cap beforehand (in the game environment we were in before the change was made), and perhaps now too. Furthermore, I have never understood why Light Armours + Hunters receive 1 point of Tactical Mitigation per 1 Vitality when TANKS do not, I feel like primarily this change ALONE would go a long way into helping every tank in the game.
    Another random thought.
    What if we remove physical mit & tact mit essences from the game? Then manually adjust all the class bonuses to armor, armor values... etc to the values which we want tanks to be at?
    At the moment, Physical Mit, Tactical Mit & Morale all compete for what is fundamentally the same effect: increasing the amount of damage you can take before you die. Thats kinda a shallow description but its essentially accurate.
    Physical Mit increases your effective hp against physical damage, tactical v. tactical. Morale v. all damage.

If we simplify the system by removing mits from essences & gear then we only have to balance morale & B/P/E against each other as defensive stats. And all the tanks can be set to the same % mitigations through traits as they won't have any other way (aside from armor provided those contributions remain hardcoded) to alter their mitigations.

Then you can balance the game further as you'll always know how much damage a tankbuster (undebuffed) will do to a tank because the tactical mit values are static, and physical tankbusters can be mitigated by B/P/E so then you just need to make physical busters more dangerous (necessitating a cooldown) while also increasing the return from B/P/E ratings to better balance B/P/E against Morale.

Looked into the suggestions and i would support almost all of em but there are a few that are really my favourite that would really help guards and some i add:

-Vitality back to 5, seriously why did wardens/beorns/guards get this change but any other class didn't get a reduce? If anything cappy morale should be reduced.

-Guardian's ward should give a trait line specific buff, blue: -10% inc dmg, red: +10% melee dmg/5% crit, yellow: -10%outg dmg/+10% inch

-Scale up some numbers on bleeds, flash of light, singular focus, guardians ward, warriors heart etc.

-Buff protection, protection by the sword and shield wall.

-Increase guardians ward duration

-Stagger debuff should always be applied

-Increase warchant -% dmg in yellow line, maybe also in blue/red.

-Fix the warchant cd reduction bugs ofcourse

-increase thrill of danger duration 10>15

-Fix all the traits listed in this thread lol, thrill of combat, honourable combat etc. etc. and buff many traits.

-Hammer down should give a mob +10% inc dmg and cd lowered to 20

-Protection should always give mits and should also be applied to the guardian

-cataclysmic shout is bugged and needs to be cd lowered to 1m

-Disorientation and break ranks should become actual viable dps increase utility traits OR change them to some tanking bonus

-give back our belt bonus!!!!!!!

-Give guards some -% inc dmg buff cause mits have pretty much become worthless now that all tanking classes got almost the same mits. Guards do not have the mits advantage anymore. Maybe over champions but other than that all other classes either get close to even surpass guards.

I guess people really don't understand how much damage a Guardian actually do and are asking for damage buffs where they aren't needed.
    So, I'll re-write my original post in this thread for more clearance, but most of them share one thing:
    • Guardians issue is in the traits (lack of support)
    • Current content being made (massive, one-shotting attacks that cannot be mitigated outside of larger damage negation buffs)

General, non-trait tree specific issues

• Catch a Breath cooldown bug
      • Only happens if CAB was previously used (on cooldown) and Demoralizing Anthem was traited
      • After the 2nd War-Chant, gaining a Parry event blocks the usage of Catch a Breath, saying it's on cooldown
      • As long as you have that one Parry event ready, even if you have a Block event ready, it doesn't allow it to be used
      • If you use the Parry event (by playing [Whirling] Retaliation) it clears away the bug and you can use Catch a Breath now
      • In short, Parry events block out the usage of Catch a Breath when lowering the cooldown with War-chant (with Demoralizing Anthem)
    • Guardians Belt old Shield Use rank still wasn't replaced.
      • Suggestions of a incoming healing or finesse bonus, unless % based and not rating, would result in this being useless very quickly.
      • IMO, best replacement for this would be a small Base Combat Damage modifier, similar to Weapon Runes.
        • This would solve the greatest problem of the Guardian damage-wise, scaleability. Historically, Guardian has struggled with this every time level cap was moved and Guardian wasn't adjusted for it.
        • Additionally, this will affect all lines, Red for obvious reasons, but it would help other lines in increasing non-taunt aggro they put out.
        • The Damage buff should be however, kept rather small, up to half of a damage rune.
    • Guardians Ward duration needs to be increased, 10 seconds is way too short. 15-20 would be ideal.

BLUE LINE

Currently suffers from a lack of available group support. Every other issue is simply due to the content (high-damage attacks ignoring BPE and resistances, forcing large amounts of damage reduction)
    • Adaptability should be replaced by:
      • Finesse
      • old Shield Of Fire (bonus Shield Taunt aggro and targets)
      • Shield-skills reducing Mitigations
    • Challenge the Darkness should reduce Challenge cooldown by 10-15 seconds.
    • Bolstering Blocks heal should be increased to 2% from 1%
    • Shield the People fellowship/raid mitigation buff needs to be increased for 2% to 5%
      • 2% is nothing. Really, nothing. Especially compared to the Captains giving 5% damage reduction from On-Guard and 10% max morale, along with all the stats.
    • Guardians Ward (Tactics) needs to be increased.
      • Goes for all aspects of the skill
    • Reduce Reversal cooldown reduction from 30 seconds to 15
      • Guardian has by far the best counter-CC skill in the game. 15 second cooldown on a counter-CC (and FM if countered) is way too low, not to mention Guardian gets an extended immunity after the skill is used, easily covering the cooldown itself.
    • Have Smashing Stab be unable to be blocked and parried
    • Disorientation should reduce Mitigations instead of BPE
    • Stoic needs to be rescales, 6 points is way too much. Drop it to 5 and move the 6th bonus accordingly
    • Warriors Fortitude Incoming Healing didn't scale since LVL 95 and needs to be adressed
      • Further note as to why Incoming Healing on belt would be a terrible idea. It's useless unless it's a % buff.
    • Break Ranks rework:
      • Is an active skill.
      • Removes all Fortification stacks from the Guardian (including raid-wise bonus). Applies a raid-wide damage buff equal to double the Fortification bonus.
      • If 5 stacks were present, which is 10% mitigation on the Guardian, it should apply a 20% damage buff to everyone.
      • Should have around a 15 second duration, 1 minute cooldown. Guardian cannot rebuild Fortifications for 15 seconds after using the skill (equal to the duration of the buff)
    • Litany of Defiance rework:
      • Maximum targets increased from 4 to 8
      • Range increased from 7.2m to 20m
      • Doesn't slow attack speed
      • Removes all Fortification stacks (including the group-wide)
      • Every stack of Fortification reduces damage taken by the fellowship by 5%
      • At 5 Fortification stacks, this equates to 25% damage reduction
      • Buff should last 15 seconds and Guardian cannot rebuild Fortifications for 15 seconds after using it
      • Cooldown reduced to 1m from 1m 30s

RED LINE
    Base damage for the most part is fine, however, traits supporting the damage are really, really bad. Additionally, it takes way too many points to fully utilize the trait tree, having some of the highest requirements while not getting that great of a benefit.
    The following suggestions are aimed at increasing Guardians viability for non-raid content in a damage line, as it has a relatively complex rotation (compared to most classes). Would be even better to just make it a viable DPS as well as the groundwork for it is there (this was historically a goal of multiple, previous changes to the class, to have a viable damage line)

• The only trait tree in the game without a specialization perk. This was a massive oversight during reworks and I'm surprised that nobody is talking about this or has even noticed. Specialization into The Keen Blade should give:
      • Bleed Critical Chance
      • Guardians Ward giving a small damage buff
      • All bleeds ignore a percentage of targets mitigations (15-20%)
    • Thrill of Battle rework:
      • No longer has a heal on Parry response crit
      • Grants a critical rating buff during Guardians Ward
      • Max ranks reduced to 4 from 5
    • Brutal Assault and traits:
      • Base damage from Brutal Assault skill increased
      • Tireless Blows rescaled to 4 points from 5 and each point gives a 12.5% chance to reset the cooldown of Brutal Assault
      • Haemorrhage rescaled to 4 points from 5 and each point gives a 5% bleed damage increase.
      • Brutal Assault always causes a Bleed to occur.
    • Deeper Wounds rescaled:
      • 4 points max over 5
      • Damage per point 5%
      • Bleed tick distribution should be 1/2/2/3
    • To the Rescue rescaled to 3 points, each point gives 2 seconds of Charge duration, no longer gives 10% movespeed increase bonus.
    • Blind Rage rescaled:
      • Rescaled to 4 points instead of 5
      • Buff proc chance rescaled to 25% per rank
    • Hammer-Down cooldown changes:
      • Cooldown reduced to 20 seconds
      • No longer stuns
      • A critical/devastating hit with on other skills reduces Hammer-Downs cooldown by 1 seconds (not bleeds)
    • Honourable Combat rework:
      • Critical Hits on an enemy restore 2% max morale and 5% max power. Internal cooldown of 5 seconds.
    • Reactive Parry rework:
      • A critical hit with Sting gives a Parry event and allows you to use the parry chain
    • Protection by the Sword changes:
      • Damage buff increased to 5%
      • Damage buff should be an aura rather than a one-pulse every 10 seconds
      • AOE of both the aura and Parry reaction needs to be increased, 10m is way too short
      • Would be a good idea to have the skill also give a small parry buff to everyone
    • Bleed the Dry should increase Bleed damage (10% would be ideal)
    • Heavy Blows is just a weaker version of Valorous Strength
      • Have it also give critical chance buff to all parry response skills
    • Prey on the Weak rework:
      • All bleeds gain an extra pulse
      • Bleed damage increased by 5% and pierce 10-15% damage mitigation

YELLOW LINE

Takes higher damage than Blue, but in exchange it grants various debuffs. The aim of these suggestions is to highlight that potential.

• Disabling Strikes and Incapacitation no longer affect Stagger and Engage slows.
    • Protection buff is always applied to the Guardian and can be specifically casted to affect an ally.
      • Should give a 5% damage mitigation by default
    • Flash of Light targets increased from 4 to 5
    • Manifested Ire rework:
      • Causes all enemies affected by a Guardians Force Attack to deal 15% less damage for 10 seconds
    • Insult To Injury replaced with a Vitality trait
    • Radiate chance increased to 50%
    • War-Chant damage reduction increased to 10% base (with Disabling Strikes, it's 15% and Incapacitation 20%)
    • Fix Tenderize scaling
    • Bolster tooltip needs fixing (it doesn't provide a chance for Shield Skills to increase mitigations to 100%)
    • Demoralizing Anthem War-Chant range reduced to 50% from 100%
    • Demoralizing Anthem also increases Light damage by 3% per rank (15% max)
    • Warriors Fortitude incoming healing buff needs to be increased, as it wasn't scaled since LVL 95.
    • Cataclysmic Shout rework:
      • No longer stuns for longer on Marked enemies
      • No longer deals extra damage to Marked enemies
      • After a block and parry response is used (similar to Smashing Stab), stuns all enemies in an area around the Guardian for 4 seconds and always applies Radiate to all enemies affected
      • Radius remains 7m
      • Cooldown reduced to 1m and is affected by Demoralizing Anthem cooldown reduction
    • Singular Focus rework:
      • All Parry and Block skills have a 25% chance to reduce enemy Armour rating
      • Armour reduction is based on 10% of Guardians current Armour
      • Marked enemies are specifically vulnerable (20% more damage reduction)

Manifested Ire rework:
    Causes all enemies affected by a Guardians Force Attack to deal 15% less damage for 10 seconds
    Agreed with the majority of what you say, except for this, this would result in a perma -15% damage on the boss/target, due to the cooldowns on Guard taunts, this is too strong.

Agreed with the majority of what you say, except for this, this would result in a perma -15% damage on the boss/target, due to the cooldowns on Guard taunts, this is too strong.
    Yeah, but at the same time, Yellow has no real group value and it's mostly damage reduction. Either number (debuff itself or duration) would need tinkering, but this sort of a thing would fit very nicely into the kit.
    Perhaps even a larger internal cooldown so it cannot be chained back-to-back, making taunts more than just aggro-locks.

then why not flip it around?
    If its too strong as an outgoing debuff then make it an incoming for the guard.

Something like: when you taunt a target you gain +5% mitigations.
    Slightly weaker than 15% additive outgoing damage debuff against a 200% mastery enemy target.

Captains aren't wanted cause they have more morale.
    It's a big plus, you must agree. I read the description of the captain +25% morale trait the other day - "2-handed Prowess". I'm fairly certain it was intended to only give the morale bonus when used with a 2-handed weapon.

Guardians Belt old Shield Use rank still wasn't replaced.
    My preference would probably be a sizable finesse bonus if it's technically impossible to actually fix to improve shield skills damage.

Last I checked Shield Use Rank seemed to affect our War Chant damage.

Alrighties, I have been planning on making yet another list here, just to summarize a bit and try to make it a bit more clean this time. But something else came up and you all probably already know what i'm bout to say and i've already repeated it a huge amount of times in different threads but:

-The Flash of Light nerf and Radiate nerf/bug is definitely something that needs to be adressed for the future guardian update.
    Flash of Light has been destroyed at endgame. I agree, nerf it at lower levels but it should have been either left alone or buffed at higher levels/cap
    The progression/scaling had to be fixed, not the actual overall dmg of it (and by x3 even just to rub it in even more)

Before the nerf FoL did 7,5k on t3 mobs. After the nerf it does 2,4k (With light dmg legacy). It has literally become useless. The only thing that guards had left that was atleast somewhat useful has now fallen aswell. Not only that but Radiate has also been nerfed to only give 4 mobs at a time at max rank the ''Marked by Light'' debuff.

Very nice so they just:
    1. Nerfed the dmg on a line that's literally meant to be a tank who deals dmg (just look at all the dps traits it has)
    2. Nerfed the ability to debuff mobs, while that's literally the whole point of yellow line. They are debuff tanks...

• (Pre nerf) The AoE dps of yellow guards was quite good for 3mans and good in general, just not noticeable at all in 6mans and raids. So it should have been buffed and the only way of doing this without risking balancing issues with dps-geared yellow guards, is by buffing FoL. 120 cap should have already had a 7,5-10k FoL.
    • (Pre nerf) The debuffing of guards was already trash (too low numbers) and now with the radiate nerf/bug causing only for max 4 mobs to be marked is a huge blow to an AoE debuff tank who literally has to tank 5-10+ mobs at a time by debuffing them.

So this should definitely be added to stuff that needs to be changed in the upcoming guardian update.
    Last edited by HolyDuckTape; Jul 01 2020 at 07:16 AM.

''''Guardian

Flash of Light has had its damage reduced. However, this ability will now properly benefit from added light damage bonuses from Legendary Items at higher levels.''''

Nice the +70% legacy just increases my FoL from 2,1k to 2,4k (10-15%).... Thank you SSG for giving cap guards this amazing change to counter the FoL nerf lmao.

I will be waiting for the guard update to buff this legacy up to +1400% to actually give us our dmg back and that's not even talking about buffing the (pre-nerf) dmg which it needs. Which guardian trait line can we play now? Green?

I want to thank the OP for making this thread and look forward to seeing the Guard returned to it's rightful place as the supreme tanking class.

Since people are making common sense suggestions, such as increasing duration of Guardian's ward, I have a couple to add:

1. Reduce CD of Challenge to 30 seconds like it was for many years.
    60 seconds is too long IMO and makes the class less enjoyable to play.

2. Replace Stagger, Overwhelm, or Force Opening with a new strong AOE skill like sweeping cut.
    So much solo content involves killing multiple mobs and it's annoying to have to wait for the existing AOE skills to come off CD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2