We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Exclamation Devs: please make Flash of Light scale better

Playing a yellow guard, it's so fun early to mid game with that epic mark damage, but after Mirkwood it goes really downhill (currently level 85 in Wildermore). The mark only does 1k dmg against mobs with 16K morale @ lvl 85…this needs to be scaled better ASAP. For comparison Forochel mobs only have 2.7k morale but the mark does 700 dmg.

I would suggest making Flash of Light scale with weapons/stats instead of levels, as this would make the late game FoL more useful (because currently it does very little dmg at level 85).

Also, how come the mark damage decreases so sharply in Mirkwood right after finishing Moria? For e.g. FoL did 1,150 dmg on lvl 58 goblins in Moria, yet only 750 dmg on lvl 62 Mirkwood goblins (same as Forochel)?! Pls explain why it decreased with level…it should've done at least 2k by now.
    Last edited by Hallsae; Jun 11 2020 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallsae View Post
    Playing a yellow guard, it's so fun early to mid game with that epic mark damage, but after Mirkwood it goes really downhill (currently level 85 in Wildermore). The mark only does 1k dmg against mobs with 16K morale @ lvl 85…this needs to be scaled better ASAP. For comparison Forochel mobs only have 2.7k morale but the mark does 700 dmg.

I would suggest making Flash of Light scale with weapons/stats instead of levels, as this would make the early game FoL less OP, and the late game FoL more useful (because currently it's almost useless at level 85). Just win-win.

Also, how come the mark damage decreases so sharply in Mirkwood right after finishing Moria? For e.g. FoL did 1,150 dmg on lvl 58 goblins in Moria, yet only 750 dmg on lvl 62 Mirkwood goblins (same as Forochel)?! Pls explain why it decreased with level…it should've done at least 3k by now.
    Tank main role is to hold agro, and survive (also support for some classes) . FoL helps you with aoe and it works perfectly. As yellow guard you do more than OK aoe dmg (and also ST if you pick right talents from blue)
    I see no problem, and no need of a fix. If you ask more dmg, ask it for red.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlin View Post
    Tank main role is to hold agro, and survive (also support for some classes) . FoL helps you with aoe and it works perfectly. As yellow guard you do more than OK aoe dmg (and also ST if you pick right talents from blue)
    I see no problem, and no need of a fix. If you ask more dmg, ask it for red.
    Yeah I never really saw FoL as the AoE monster for Yellow. War chant and cataclysmic shout IMO are the AoE kings for yellow. (CS animation is awesome to boot).

However, I do think that an ability scaling DOWN as you level is not only bad design, but demotivating for players. They should at least fix the scaling so it's even, Decent, and continually goes up like every other skill in existence.

And In all honestly, yellow isn't just the "offtank" spec any more completely...it's also the AoE spec for Guards, so there's no reason whatsoever that they can't have deent AoE DPS with yellow. But honestly right now they do, so moot point.
    Last edited by elyxthaxzus; Jun 09 2020 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elyxthaxzus View Post
    Yeah I never really saw FoL as the AoE monster for Yellow. War chant and cataclysmic shout IMO are the AoE kings for yellow. (CS animation is awesome to boot).

However, I do think that an ability scaling DOWN as you level is not only bad design, but demotivating for players. They should at least fix the scaling so it's even, Decent, and continually goes up like every other skill in existence.

And In all honestly, yellow isn't just the "offtank" spec any more completely...it's also the AoE spec for Guards, so there's no reason whatsoever that they can't have deent AoE DPS with yellow. But honestly right now they do, so moot point.
    Cataclysmic Shout has too long a cooldown tbh (2 minutes!), and not even that much dmg for such a cooldown. Vexing Blow and Whirling Retaliation only have 4 and 5 second cooldowns, and do waaay more dmg than CS, especially with LI legacies (10% VB dmg or 10% WR dmg). 1 minute would make it a more useable ability...2 mins is terribly long for doing less dmg than the other AoE skills.

I agree, Flash of Light should be buffed.
    But it also needs a better progression flow, in lower levels it's too strong and then later in the game it gets too weak.

When Vastin was making Flash of Light changes at 120, he made it 10k-ish for a little while untill he nerfed it to like 5k-ish.
    The nerf was too big and i would have loved it to be at 7,5k-10k on the level 120 cap.

I would say that it's a bit too OP on the aggro side but too low on the damage side. The dmg is very bad on 130 and should be at around 15-25k.
    On 130 it's on a T3-7,5k T2-8k T1-9k mark atm. 10k+ if beating up mobs weak to light like orcs. Mit debuffs also help ofcourse but the dmg remains too low. like that's total garbage especially considering 120 was on a 4,5-5-6k mark.

The aggro of it however should either be lowered or just let it stay like this to atleast give yellow guards some way to be better at tanking vs blue guards even tho it's a small difference. Aggro in general needs a huge rework to actually make this a good yellow line advantage over blue line.

There's a TON wrong with yellow guards tho, but it is true that they are meant to be off-tanks, a mix of tanking, dpsing and debuffing.
    Atm they do too little dps in full tanking mode. Increasing FoL would be a great way to buff yellow line tank dmg without making dps geared yellow guards too strong.

Yellow guard tanks can already do good dps if the conditions are right for it. Their sweet spot is at around 6-8 ish mobs, more than that and u won't copy any FoL if mobs are so close causing extremely low dps and u lose controll of which mob you want to hit with AoE skills. 3 and lower is where u hit the bad dps spot tho. Add raid debuffs/buffs to it and yellow tank guards can deal some very good dps for a tank. But it can definitely use some more, 50-150% more flash of light dmg would actually make yellow guards more desirable to play and it would give yellow line an actual advantage vs blue line.

After the FoL buff, pls fix and buff the debuffing part of yellow guards. If you don't wanna buff FoL then buff their tankiness instead. They got the lowest mit out of all tanks, even wardens got higher mits bruh. And Buff blue line tankiness too ofcourse and even more if u buff yellow guard tankiness.
    Last edited by HolyDuckTape; Jun 16 2020 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDuckTape View Post
    I agree, Flash of Light should be buffed.
    But it also needs a better progression flow, in lower levels it's too strong and then later in the game it gets too weak.

When Vastin was making Flash of Light changes at 120, he made it 10k-ish for a little while untill he nerfed it to like 5k-ish.
    The nerf was too big and i would have loved it to be at 7,5k-10k on the level 120 cap.

I would say that it's a bit too OP on the aggro side but too low on the damage side. The dmg is very bad on 130 and should be at around 15-25k.
    On 130 it's on a T3-7,5k T2-8k T1-9k mark atm. 10k+ if beating up mobs weak to light like orcs. Mit debuffs also help ofcourse but the dmg remains too low. like that's total garbage especially considering 120 was on a 4,5-5-6k mark.

The aggro of it however should either be lowered or just let it stay like this to atleast give yellow guards some way to be better at tanking vs blue guards even tho it's a small difference. Aggro in general needs a huge rework to actually make this a good yellow line advantage over blue line.

There's a TON wrong with yellow guards tho, but it is true that they are meant to be off-tanks, a mix of tanking, dpsing and debuffing.
    Atm they do too little dps in full tanking mode. Increasing FoL would be a great way to buff yellow line tank dmg without making dps geared yellow guards too strong. only the lvl 6-+ FoL should get a change (i.e. a buff) -- just to scale up instead of down.

Yellow guard tanks can already do good dps if the conditions are right for it. Their sweet spot is at around 6-8 ish mobs, more than that and u won't copy any FoL if mobs are so close causing extremely low dps and u lose controll of which mob you want to hit with AoE skills. 3 and lower is where u hit the bad dps spot tho. Add raid debuffs/buffs to it and yellow tank guards can deal some very good dps for a tank. But it can definitely use some more, 50-150% more flash of light dmg would actually make yellow guards more desirable to play and it would give yellow line an actual advantage vs blue line.

After the FoL buff, pls fix and buff the debuffing part of yellow guards. If you don't wanna buff FoL then buff their tankiness instead. They got the lowest mit out of all tanks, even wardens got higher mits bruh. And Buff blue line tankiness too ofcourse and even more if u buff yellow guard tankiness.
    Yeah, yellow guards shine around 6-8 mobs (especially on landscape), and the good thing is that yellow guard survivability is very high, i.e. actually staying alive to mow down all the mobs (can't even get below 90% morale with my yellow guard @ lvl 88 when facing 8-10 mobs, and I can solo elite masters easily...and I've only got quest gear). The trick with yellow guard is to max out LI legacies like the +35% AoE skill dmg and the +10% dmg legacy for either Whirling Retaliation or Vexing Blow, and for survivability the +25% Warrior's Heart heal (very strong self-heal) and the Catch A Breath bonus.

I would also add that FoL @ early levels should be left alone...it's the only thing we have at early game, as we pretty much rely on that mark. If that gets nerfed too much, we won't have anything early game. Only the lvl 60+ FoL should get changed, i.e. scaled upwards from Moria into Mirkwood...instead of scaled downwards.
    Last edited by Hallsae; Jun 17 2020 at 11:01 PM.

Ummm…like what even is this?! What do they mean by "all servers"? https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...Only&p=8015726

Can someone please explain to me why they're nerfing FoL, instead of buffing it like we all asked?! Why? FoL is the only thing we have as yellow guards at early game — please, don't nerf it! We have only asked for a buff. Yellow guard will become useless without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallsae View Post
    Ummm…like what even is this?! What do they mean by "all servers"? https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...Only&p=8015726

Can someone please explain to me why they're nerfing FoL, instead of buffing it like we all asked?! Why? FoL is the only thing we have as yellow guards at early game — please, don't nerf it! We have only asked for a buff. Yellow guard will become useless without it.
    a) It is op at lower levels. The PvP servers are just now bringing that to light (heh, punny)

b) I suspect Vastin knows its not OP at higher levels and any "nerfing" will be directed at the lower levels where it is really strong. Perhaps he will treat us nicely and make it scale better at higher levels as well. So lets all cross our fingers.
    Lvl 130 Guard - Olebenny || Lvl 130 Guard - Theoderad || Lvl 130 Guard - Estelrian || Lvl 130 Captain - Galtherium || Lvl 130 Runekeeper - Leegun || Lvl 130 Mini - Nathorean || Lvl 130 Champion - Cephrial
    Leader of Raiders Beneath the Shadow - Arkenstone
    What more does one need in LotRO than a lot of morale and a shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Olebenny View Post
    b) I suspect Vastin knows its not OP at higher levels and any "nerfing" will be directed at the lower levels where it is really strong. Perhaps he will treat us nicely and make it scale better at higher levels as well. So lets all cross our fingers.
    You're having too much hope kek! I bet guards will be gutted

Quote Originally Posted by Olebenny View Post
    a) It is op at lower levels. The PvP servers are just now bringing that to light (heh, punny)

This sure aged well…didn't it

The devs just did the exact opposite of what we all asked…the mark @ lvl 88 only does 100 more dmg than the mark @ lvl 52 (350 vs 260).

lul