We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Beorn’s Honey Cakes

Who’s hungry?

Made this today (it’s a lot smaller than that now, trust me):

Kudos to gobblethecook.com, from where the recipe was purloined. The recipe is here, and trust me it is delicious: https://gobblethecook.com/cooking-by...ake/print/203/

We didn’t have any cinnamon or cardamom in the house, so left those out, but it is still lovely. It has a sticky, gooey texture and is a big hit with the kids. Thought the mould would be expensive, but got it from Amazon for under a tenner.

Has anyone else made any Middle Earth food? Lembas? Cram? Any good recipes to share?

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

About a year ago I made lembas! They had a sweet, buttery flavor that was just right and not overbearing. Perfect as an accompaniment to tea or coffee.

Those both look so amazing, I'll have to try those recipes.

I have The Unexpected Cookbook: The Unofficial Book of Hobbit Cookery: https://www.amazon.com/Unexpected-Co...dp_ob_title_bk

It's a really interesting read, because it talks about how the Shire is modeled after Tolkien's childhood home and what foods they would have eaten then. I tried the honey cakes from this book and they came out just ok. They were very very rich and heavy and my son refused to eat them at all, so I'm definitely interested in trying the other recipe in this thread instead!

We also made lembas from a recipe we found on the Internet. Different one from the one posted here. It was a little bland, if I remember right. I'll be curious to give it another though with this other recipe.

This is the recipe I used http://vomitingchicken.com/elven-lembas-bread-recipe/

Also, TheArtilleryman may I ask where you found a honeycomb shaped mold? I've made honey cake but just in a plain bread mold. Yours looks a lot more fun and quirky.

Quote Originally Posted by EranodoreAlphemel View Post

Also, TheArtilleryman may I ask where you found a honeycomb shaped mold? I've made honey cake but just in a plain bread mold. Yours looks a lot more fun and quirky.
    I bought some from Etsy and Amazon, didn't cost much. Think it was about 5 euros. Just google Honeycomb Molds and you'll find many

It was this one: MEETOZ 19 Cavity Flexible... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L55KP...p_mob_ap_share

I made the Beorn's honey cake recipe yesterday! I baked it in a 9in cake pan and since I didn't have any cardomom or cinnamon sticks I just substituted ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. It came out very tasty (had some for breakfast this morning!), but the texture on mine was nothing like the picture. It wasn't gooey or sticky at all. Not sure if that had to do with the different pan I used or if it's the fault of my oven. (The temp gauge is currently broken so it frequently runs too hot and fluctuates unpredictably.)

I'll probably try the lembas recipe soon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
    I made the Beorn's honey cake recipe yesterday! I baked it in a 9in cake pan and since I didn't have any cardomom or cinnamon sticks I just substituted ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. It came out very tasty (had some for breakfast this morning!), but the texture on mine was nothing like the picture. It wasn't gooey or sticky at all. Not sure if that had to do with the different pan I used or if it's the fault of my oven. (The temp gauge is currently broken so it frequently runs too hot and fluctuates unpredictably.)

I'll probably try the lembas recipe soon as well.
    Did you try any straight from the oven? Mine were quite gooey inside when still hot (like a layer of gooeyness in the middle), but when they cooled down the consistency changed, to more like a very dense cake texture. It reminds me of a golden syrup cake (green packets, made by Lyle’s in the UK), but more dense.

For a lore nerd like me, this is heaven.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

Just ordered a honeycomb mold, hopefully I'll get it in time to make honey cake for the summer solstice

Just ordered a honeycomb mold, hopefully I'll get it in time to make honey cake for the summer solstice

Brilliant! Glad I’ve inspired you to have a go. Come back and let us know how you got on

A quick note - I’ve made about four batches now, and the last batch I left the salt out because I have been using salted butter. Definitely better, first couple times were nice, but a bit too salty. Now got some cinnamon and been using that too, definitely improves the flavour. Still can’t bring myself to put cardamom in it though, it’s a bit of an acquired taste ...

Honeycake recipe that I developed on my own! (I just use 9" round cake pan, no fancy molds... yet)

¾c honey
    ¾c heavy cream
    spices, to taste (cinnamon, cardamom, anise, etc.--optional)
    1 egg, large
    rosewater, to taste (I use the equivalent of 2-3 drops, ymmv)
    1¼c AP flour
    ¼c Almond flour
    1tsp *each* baking powder and baking soda
    ½tsp salt
    ¼c finely chopped nuts (pecan, walnut, etc.--optional)

*Preheat to 350F, line pan/fancy mold as needed.

*Warm honey and heavy cream in saucepan over low heat, stir occasionally, until thoroughly combined. If you're using spices, add them to the pan to infuse the honey-cream mixture, because that is delicious.

*Remove honey-cream-spice mixture from heat; when sufficiently cooled, beat in the egg and the rosewater.

*In a separate bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder+soda, and salt. Fold dry ingredients into wet mixture and stir gently, adding chopped nuts as desired (I like the additional texture. Pan-toast the nuts before adding for even better results)

*The mixture should be wet enough to pour into the prepared pan/mold with only a little help from a rubber spatula etc. Think brownie batter consistency. Add a little hot water if too thick, or a sprinkle of almond flour if too thin.

*Bake 24-30 min

I used the recipe OP posted. It didn't come out gooey, it was more like a honey cornbread. However I love cornbread so I was very happy with the result