We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    What's included in the 99 LP packs that isn't already included with the free coupon?

[QUOTE=Ubiqtorate;8011719]What's included in the 99 LP packs that isn't already included with the free coupon?[/QUOT

The 99 LP packs are quest xpacx (Moria, Mirkwood, Riders of Rohan and Helm's Deep) and instance packs for these xpacs. The coupon does not include these. Mordor and MM will stay current price.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiandrial View Post
    Obviously you are not a VIP who is expected to continue paying their $15US for each of these 5 free months f2p players are getting. What about players who own all the quest packs and expansions already? Also, did you read about the actual "value of VIP subscriptions" they are offering? Insultingly little, worse than the packing crate they gave us for the second free month and they gave us nada whatsoever for the first month.

Pay for a VIP subscription for 5-10 years and you'd have a different outlook on this whole debacle Sparky. To me it looks like they are abandoning VIP subscriptions entirely in favor of Store-driven sales. Not unusual behavior for the company that owns LOTRO, and that is Daybreak Games, which has a somewhat shady past business-wise.
    Agree.

Covid-players leave the game ASAP, they are playing because it's free and they cannot go at school/work/gym/restaurant… ; today SOMEONE is spending dollars for frustration or to speed up the levelling, but the schools/gyms/pool.. will reopen and these players leave the game (most of them forever, because the game remembers them of a bad page of their life).

So, after the quarantine is gone and #players_number return to normality, what's left?

- a lame vip sub
    - a lot of disappointed premium players (I don't buy a pack or expansion anymore, they will be free soon or later)

this leads at a more invasive store, irritating the players -> more players leave

Whoever is thinking about this change is hoping for an eternal pandemic (clearly unrealistic), while he should ponder carefully the precarious balance he is breaking.

I am so shocked that they did this. I know so many others that are happy about this too. Thank you, SS for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Starsmith View Post
    You mean, like me?

I didn't say anything about how they were handling VIP, you'll note. Just how they are making an effort to retain players, "Sparky".
    "Retain Players ..." you mean like driving away the VIP's who have spent hundreds or thousand of bucks over the years to support the game, and to allow LOTRO to offer f2p in the first place? At one time LOTRO didn't have a f2p option. I think it's time to return to that model and eliminate the Wallet Warriors who only care about their own selfish needs.

NOTE: I have nothing against f2p, just those certain few players who think they "deserve" more just because "They" play the game and have spent a couple bucks (if any) in the Store.

BTW Sparky, you say you already bought all the quest packs and expansions. I'll take your word on that ... with a wee grain of salt.
    "Life is a pretty boring game, but at least it has good graphics"

[Deleted]
    Dur. Not sure why you were treated to two copies of my post.
    Last edited by Echoweaver; May 31 2020 at 01:53 PM.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Mithril League: Ardith (Woman Captain)
    Learning to raid on Anor https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...League-Kinship

I am so excited about this because my kid can now get all this content with her allowance.

But now I'm afraid I'll miss the actual release of the code. I hope they make a really big deal out of it!

The code is a nice way to do it -- folks who have shown up for COVID and are paying attention get stuff for free to help 'em keep playing.

(And I'll totally use it to get the quest packs I don't own too. I've been VIP for 1.5 years for the Legendary Servers, but I'm sure there will be times I don't want to be VIP.)
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Mithril League: Ardith (Woman Captain)
    Learning to raid on Anor https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...League-Kinship

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiandrial View Post
    "Retain Players ..." you mean like driving away the VIP's who have spent hundreds or thousand of bucks over the years to support the game, and to allow LOTRO to offer f2p in the first place? At one time LOTRO didn't have a f2p option. I think it's time to return to that model and eliminate the Wallet Warriors who only care about their own selfish needs.

NOTE: I have nothing against f2p, just those certain few players who think they "deserve" more just because "They" play the game and have spent a couple bucks (if any) in the Store.

BTW Sparky, you say you already bought all the quest packs and expansions. I'll take your word on that ... with a wee grain of salt.
    I am not one of those people who think they "deserve" more of anything here, so it would probably be worth your while to set the gun down. Or at least point it in a better direction. I'm not exactly getting a huge benefit out of this. Maybe some of my friends who saw the barrier to entry and said to hell with that might come play again, but I doubt that.

When I started playing the game, I subbed one month for the permanent perks, then during that month did some mental math. I figured that there was a very good chance I would still be playing a year from that date, and that of the options, renting content via VIP (with the VIP bonuses also) vs buying everything I could that VIP opened, in the long run, the buy everything route would end up the one that cost me less. It would hurt up front, for sure. But that's what I did, buy everything I could that a sub opened (except for monster classes, I never PvMP). I'm now about getting to the point where the initial investment is equal to how much a year's sub would have cost. So it looks like I bet right.

Maybe I would have subbed instead if the VIP benefits seemed worthwhile to me, but they didn't. So I totally feel people on that. VIP is *very* good for one month; after that, the benefits are not as clear, though there certainly are still benefits.

So, given how much money I've put out to buy all the content (plus expensive version Minas Morgul), I am well aware of how high the barrier to entry this game has. I recognize that SSG decided to be generous a couple months ago and now they have (presumably) better income than they had before, something which seems to have caught them off guard, so they're making the obvious decision not to re-erect that absurd barrier to entry on their current player base in an attempt to keep the new and returning players around. Clearly there is a cost attached to this, as you are well aware, but I dunno what to say if you can't see how this is a move to retain players.

If you decide to stop subbing over it, you'll no longer have to worry about not having access to all those quest packs, though. That was my concern with subbing in the first place, so I am sure I am not the only one who did the math on that. Your off-ramp has been made less steep.
    Last edited by Starsmith; May 31 2020 at 01:35 PM.

To all the VIPs who think they will get less:
    You will still get the same as before and even more.
    Of course the perks of having all quest pack regions unlocked is not a VIP only perk anymore, or a perk of premium players who's actually bought them but the regions up to now will be open to everyone who will use that coupon.
    Now that there is nothing clear what will be after August 31st when that coupon expires.
    Maybe newcomers will then again have too buy all the regions or subscribe?

Generally the worth of subscribing beyond the permanent character unlocks was quite suspect for a long time with all the additional drive to the store to alleviate some of the grinds or the need to go there for end game essences.

With old content getting cheaper it is clear this won't change. We do not know how new content will be treated.

I am VIP again since the beginning of the year after being premium for years and having all the content unlocked except the last two regions and the MM expansion.
    I went VIP mainly for the char unlocks for my beorns, high elves and - since it was 75% recently - also the stout axes.
    I kept VIP for now and getting the free carry all was really nice.
    I decided to keep it when they announced the free period the first time.

I would assume they might continue to offer some surprise gifts to VIP in the future to up the value of a subscription.
    Of course known permanent perks would be better and maybe that will be the case for whatever replacement grind they are working on for LIs.

I really think that VIP should offer to alleviate the need of the store for character advancement in some way. It kind of does that with the 500 LP but for someone like me who likes to achieve advancement in the game having to go too the store to get that is not how I like too play the game.

Overall I am happy with the decision to make old content easier accessible even though I do not profit from it at all. This might bring and keep a few additional players who would otherwise leave. And even if this means there will be more true f2p until their content runs out there is still a chance some of them will stick around longer.

The 99 LP packs are quest xpacx (Moria, Mirkwood, Riders of Rohan and Helm's Deep) and instance packs for these xpacs. The coupon does not include these. Mordor and MM will stay current price.
    I've mostly been in the Misty Mountains and Eregion since the free quests opened up (I didn't own either region before that). If I'm understanding the coupon right, it's a permanent add for the regions that have previously needed to be purchased, but are free now. I thought at least some of those other regions were also included, though (I was just in Moria and there were quests that weren't previously available), so I'm still not sure I understand what is and isn't included with the coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiqtorate View Post
    I've mostly been in the Misty Mountains and Eregion since the free quests opened up (I didn't own either region before that). If I'm understanding the coupon right, it's a permanent add for the regions that have previously needed to be purchased, but are free now. I thought at least some of those other regions were also included, though (I was just in Moria and there were quests that weren't previously available), so I'm still not sure I understand what is and isn't included with the coupon.
    What players will get with the coupon.

North Downs
    Evendim
    Trollshaws
    Angmar
    Misty Mountains
    Forochel
    Eregion
    Lothlorien
    Enedwaith
    Great River
    Wildemore
    West Gondor
    Central Gondor
    East Gondor
    Old Anorien
    Far Anorien
    North Ithilien
    The Wastes
    The Northern Kingdoms
    The Iron hills/Ered Mithrin
    Vales of Anduin
    Wells of Langflood

What isn't included (because they are expansions)

Moria
    Mirkwood
    Isengard
    East Rohan
    West Rohan
    Mordor
    Minas Morgul

Though Moria, Mirkwood, Isengard, East Rohan, and West Rohan base content will all be available for 99 LP (price per expansion, not price for all), while the coupon window is open.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Though Moria, Mirkwood, Isengard, East Rohan, and West Rohan base content will all be available for 99 LP (price per expansion, not price for all), while the coupon window is open.
    Is that sentence definitely correct?

Their article is poorly written and unclear (Note the lack of the word "each" anywhere in that statement):

Additionally, in the near future, we will be conducting a limited time sale on select Expansion quests in the LOTRO Store where you will be able to pick up the following items for only 99 points:

• Expansion Quests: Mines of Moria
    • Expansion Quests: Siege of Mirkwood
    • Expansion Quests: Rise of Isengard
    • Expansion Quests: Riders of Rohan
    • Expansion Quests: Helm's Deep
    • Instance Cluster: Rise of Isengard
    • Instance Cluster: Riders of Rohan

That statement reads pretty clearly that all of them together will cost 99 points. 99 points each is very reasonable but they really need to be clear. This is how they make people mad.

Quote Originally Posted by noradaddy View Post
    It is definitely correct. SSG_RedPanda has been clarifying quite a lot in a different thread. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...60#post8011260

I am not one of those people who think they "deserve" more of anything here, so it would probably be worth your while to set the gun down. Or at least point it in a better direction. I'm not exactly getting a huge benefit out of this. Maybe some of my friends who saw the barrier to entry and said to hell with that might come play again, but I doubt that.

When I started playing the game, I subbed one month for the permanent perks, then during that month did some mental math. I figured that there was a very good chance I would still be playing a year from that date, and that of the options, renting content via VIP (with the VIP bonuses also) vs buying everything I could that VIP opened, in the long run, the buy everything route would end up the one that cost me less. It would hurt up front, for sure. But that's what I did, buy everything I could that a sub opened (except for monster classes, I never PvMP). I'm now about getting to the point where the initial investment is equal to how much a year's sub would have cost. So it looks like I bet right.

Maybe I would have subbed instead if the VIP benefits seemed worthwhile to me, but they didn't. So I totally feel people on that. VIP is *very* good for one month; after that, the benefits are not as clear, though there certainly are still benefits.

So, given how much money I've put out to buy all the content (plus expensive version Minas Morgul), I am well aware of how high the barrier to entry this game has. I recognize that SSG decided to be generous a couple months ago and now they have (presumably) better income than they had before, something which seems to have caught them off guard, so they're making the obvious decision not to re-erect that absurd barrier to entry on their current player base in an attempt to keep the new and returning players around. Clearly there is a cost attached to this, as you are well aware, but I dunno what to say if you can't see how this is a move to retain players.

If you decide to stop subbing over it, you'll no longer have to worry about not having access to all those quest packs, though. That was my concern with subbing in the first place, so I am sure I am not the only one who did the math on that. Your off-ramp has been made less steep.
    Stop subbing? And lose the VIP Mail option? Not a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Echoweaver View Post
    [Deleted]
    Dur. Not sure why you were treated to two copies of my post.
    Maybe it was an Echo.

Maybe it was an Echo.

We are also announcing an update to our VIP program! Soon, VIPs will get access to a vendor that will grant them the following benefits once per day:

"48-hours of town services items",
    Duh! Only new VIP players might find this rewardable. Players who have been around for a few months, have enough travel skills to access those easily enough.

"a buff that negates item wear"
    USELESS item! Reparing items have never been expensive, or a problem, unless you are a hardcore raider. But raiders comes prepared with anvils.

and "a buff that provides rapid crafting".
    WOW.. thank you for reinstalling an imporved crafting speed. The crafting speed was slowed down the last year, and now SSG think it is an rewards to VIP players, who have been at the games for years.
    This is actually more of an insult, than a reward!

I think SSG need to come up with a better solution that this, to show they appreciate their VIPs, who now must suffer more lag and longer responstime on customer service, due to servers flooded with f2p.
    None of these so called rewards are useful for long time VIP players. Its vendor trash!

edit: on a sidenote... it will be fun to see if these items are stackable or not, or they intent them to take up more of our storage space ...
    Last edited by Aranaan; Jun 02 2020 at 02:23 AM.

Their article is poorly written and unclear (Note the lack of the word "each" anywhere in that statement):

Additionally, in the near future, we will be conducting a limited time sale on select Expansion quests in the LOTRO Store where you will be able to pick up the following items for only 99 points:

That statement reads pretty clearly that all of them together will cost 99 points. 99 points each is very reasonable but they really need to be clear. This is how they make people mad.
    100% correct, it's been verified by Cordovan on his stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Aranaan View Post
    edit: on a sidenote... it will be fun to see if these items are stackable or not, or they intent them to take up more of our storage space ...
    I suspect they will end up activating upon acquire, so as to not be stashable (let alone stackable). I further suspect that these three features will only be usable/acquirable once per day per account.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles_Ancestor View Post
    I suspect they will end up activating upon acquire, so as to not be stashable (let alone stackable). I further suspect that these three features will only be usable/acquirable once per day per account.
    Cordovan suggested that it will be per character, on his recent stream.

Anyone know what happened yesterday? EVERYONE in world chat was going on about the free quests code having been released, several kinships even published the code in their message of the day, loads of people said they already used it and it awarded them all the quest packs, but at the same time someone said there was a random twitter post saying it had been leaked by accident and not to use it because it might not work and could mess up your account. It was THE topic of conversation last night. However, on here, I can’t find one post mentioning it. Anyone know anything about what happened?

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Anyone know what happened yesterday? EVERYONE in world chat was going on about the free quests code having been released, several kinships even published the code in their message of the day, loads of people said they already used it and it awarded them all the quest packs, but at the same time someone said there was a random twitter post saying it had been leaked by accident and not to use it because it might not work and could mess up your account. It was THE topic of conversation last night. However, on here, I can’t find one post mentioning it. Anyone know anything about what happened?
    https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articl...e-quest-coupon

if you follow the above link it would look like it was posted up but then taken down... the page looks ready to rock.. possibly published early by mistake

then i found this on you tube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmmkeCTIJs4
    WHY DO PEOPLE WHO KNOW THE LEAST, KNOW IT THE LOUDEST?

I'm assuming that there is no benefit to Lifetime Subscribers applying the Quest Pack code when it is published ?

They are extending the "everything is available to everyone to play for free" until August 31st.

They are planning to give everyone playing a coupon (expiring on August 31st) that will permanently add all paid quest packs to their accounts (that is, content like Forochel, Gondor, the new Wilderlands, etc., but not Moria, Rohan, Minas Morgul, etc.). That's a good chunk of the available landscape quests in the game, but not everything, and not all of the 3-man, 6-man, raid instances or paid epic battles.

They are planning to put up many of the rest of the expansion quests on drastically reduced sales. Those expansion quests may not include everything that comes with a full expansion, but will include quite a lot of it. So, not the Rune Keeper and Warden class with Moria, but the quests and instances inside Moria. The expansions they are putting on sale include everything but the two most recent expansions, and include many instances, raids, and the rest of the epic battles.

They are planning on improving the value of VIP subscriptions in various ways.

Basically, they made a good business decision with their generosity earlier this year and it attracted a lot of new players (very very likely paying new players) that they would be *totally insane* not to do their damndest to keep
    How/where/when will we receive this coupon, via in-game mail or real email perhaps? I haven't logged in for about a year & a half & would like to take advantage of this offer. Do I need to log into each & every character before Aug 31st to get this for them, or is it once-only/account-wide? Cheers.

Pretty clear to me that it is per item...

Connecting with players was always weak part of Turbine/SSG, now it just total mess. You post code early when you want? Spend 2-3 minutes to post about it and what players must to do with it. Code was leaked 8 hours ago, and still no response.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast